Coconut Bliss

Tarmander

I just tried a new type of ice cream a few days ago from this small health food store here in America. It is called Coconut Bliss and they have a lot of flavors. It seems they used a lot of Coconut, so the fat is very saturated, and they use Agave Nectar, which if I remember correctly is mostly Fructose?

Anyways, I have been eating quite a bit of it lately. I am a type 1 diabetic, and have a continuous glucose monitor. The interesting thing is when I eat a lot of this ice cream, my blood sugars are super stable. They still go up and down, but spikes and crashes do not really happen. It also does not spike blood sugar NEARLY as hard as regular ice cream. I am not sure what the huge difference is between coconut fat and dairy fat, they are both supposed to be pretty saturated, but in this case it makes a large difference.

If you are into ice cream it is worth a shot.

paper_clips43

Tarmander said:
I just tried a new type of ice cream a few days ago from this small health food store here in America. It is called Coconut Bliss and they have a lot of flavors. It seems they used a lot of Coconut, so the fat is very saturated, and they use Agave Nectar, which if I remember correctly is mostly Fructose?

Anyways, I have been eating quite a bit of it lately. I am a type 1 diabetic, and have a continuous glucose monitor. The interesting thing is when I eat a lot of this ice cream, my blood sugars are super stable. They still go up and down, but spikes and crashes do not really happen. It also does not spike blood sugar NEARLY as hard as regular ice cream. I am not sure what the huge difference is between coconut fat and dairy fat, they are both supposed to be pretty saturated, but in this case it makes a large difference.

If you are into ice cream it is worth a shot.

I am pretty sure they have guar gum or xantham gum in it. Which are big No No's in the peatdom.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

johns74 said:
Tarmander said:
I am a type 1 diabetic, and have a continuous glucose monitor.

Do you know your iron stores? Reducing ferritin in those who have 200+ can help in type 2 diabetes, I wonder if it would do anything to type 1.

Blood Letting in High-Ferritin Type 2 Diabetes

Never had them tested. Type 1 is quite a different animal then Type 2. I am going to be experimenting soon with giving blood, I will post my results, if any.

As far as Guar gums etc. Yeah there is a bit in there, but honestly, blood sugar wise it is the best ice cream I have found yet. I am willing to overlook it.

johns74

Tarmander said:
I am not sure what the huge difference is between coconut fat and dairy fat, they are both supposed to be pretty saturated, but in this case it makes a large difference.

They have different effects on triglycerides. I have read that coconut oil consumption results in lower triglycerides than butter.

mt_dreams

Both the coconut bliss & so delicious coconut ice cream brands in my country have gums in their ingredients. If you're going to eat ice cream with gum in it, it would be more practical to save a couple of dollars and just go with a dairy based ice cream that includes gum ... unless you cannot tolerate dairy, at which point coconut bliss is a decent alternative.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

mt_dreams said:
Both the coconut bliss & so delicious coconut ice cream brands in my country have gums in their ingredients. If you're going to eat ice cream with gum in it, it would be more practical to save a couple of dollars and just go with a dairy based ice cream that includes gum ... unless you cannot tolerate dairy, at which point coconut bliss is a decent alternative.

I have done so delicious before, that was actually my choice brand before I tried Bliss. I think Bliss blows it out of the water and is a bit cleaner, doesn't have some of the fake sweetners, no canola, etc.

I used to do very clean dairy ice creams, they spike my blood sugar radically. Maybe I have a dairy allergen I don't know.

Barry

Coconut Bliss is 85% of fat is saturated fat. Plus agave is mostly fructose, much less glucose. Both of these, saturated fat and fructose, act like insulin to regulate blood sugar. Dairy ice cream is 50% saturated fat, 50% unsaturated.