Vitamin E Sources?

jaa

I plugged my diet into cronometer the other day, and noticed I was only getting about 20% of my RDA for Vitamin E. :shock: A typical week of food for me looks like:

- Coffee (25 cups)
- Cocoa (1 cup)
- Lamb Liver (250g)
- Ground Lamb (500g)
- Tenderloin Steak (one 12 oz)
- Yellow Potatoes (4 medium)
- OJ (12 cups)
- Cherry Juice (5 cups)
- Oysters (10 medium)
- Mussels (1lb)
- Egg Yolks (15)
- Ice Cream (2 cups)
- Carrot (7 raw)
- Gelatin (240g)
- Milk (16 cups)
- Parmigiano Reggiano (150g)
- Oxtail soup with 500g kale broth (3 cups)

There is also sugar, salt, coconut oil, and butter in there that I don't really measure and just use to taste. I've also added dried apricots for potassium and some vitamin e, but my vitamin e is still super low. Most of the top sources of Vitamin E seem to be nuts and seeds and vegetable oil. Any suggestions?

juanitacarlos

That's a great question. I've decided to supplement Vit E for that exact reason. Love to hear any food suggestions.

jyb

I resort to Unique-E.

Can be rubbed onto the skin for absorption, although personally I find it very sticky so I'm never sure whether it actually gets absorbed. In theory the absorption occurs together with the glycerin when it sinks in and the skin dries, but the process takes some time. Maybe rubbing a small percentage of a single capsule every day (as done with progest-E) is quicker to absorb than on other areas?

So I usually end up taking a capsule orally but every few days only as a single capsule contains a lot more than what RP recommends.

Jenn

Your need for vitamin E is related to your pufa intake. No pufas, no vitamin E supplementation is really needed. Do you get enough coconut oil? Mixed, non synthetic and 100-200 IU is better than higher doses. Too much can stress the liver. Unique-E is good because it doesn't have the soy oil added, but it's not necessary. It's 400 IU, if I remember correctly and cost a lot more. I take Vitamin E when I eat out or at friend's. I use progest E for chapped lips when coconut oil doesn't do the trick.

Olive oil is supposed to help things absorb into the skin better....like with Progest E for varicose veins.

J

j.

Jenn said:
Unique-E is good because it doesn't have the soy oil added, but it's not necessary.

I think the vitamin E is extracted from soy oil, but they remove the oil completely, unlike the other brands that leave it.

pboy

red palm oil is relatively low in PUFA and high in vitamin E (and touted as the best quality vitamin E source in nature). If you don't feel bad though then you probably
don't need to worry about extra supplementation.

OP
J

jaa

Thanks for the replies. I do eat a little red palm oil and supplement topically with unique E once or twice / week and avoid PUFAs so I probably don't need it. Good to hear as that was the only glaring deficiency displayed by cronometer.

pboy

Unless I'm missing something obvious...this appears to be an excellent way to get vitamin E...I just found out about this today (researched that is)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1375

Its a non GMO version of sunflower seeds that were bred to be almost entirely MUFA with no PUFA (to be shelf and heat stable)

OP
J

jaa

Interesting pboy. My natural reaction is to stay away from that stuff even though it appears safe. Please right up a trip report after you try it.

pboy

jaa said:
Interesting pboy. My natural reaction is to stay away from that stuff even though it appears safe. Please right up a trip report after you try it.

Yea I don't blame you...though its actually an ingredient that might have been in some of the things you have eaten from the store without knowing it. I'll give it a few days and try to control for it to see what happens then let you know. At first taste, its completely neutral but feels like any other oil, same salivation, and goes down the same, and it does provide a nice feeling of satiation. In terms of how it comes out...and possibly any latent reactions though, I'll have to give it a few days to see

gabriel79

I stopped eating most vegetable oils (even when I hadn't studied PUFAs properties yet) when my brother, a chemical engineer, explained me how oils are extracted from seeds in the food industry, using solvents, catalysts and more chemicals to remove all the added toxic stuff.
The only oil with a different process is cold 1st pressing olive oil.

Beebop

jaa said:
I do eat a little red palm oil

What is the palm oil like to eat and how do you use it?

I wonder how much Vit E you would get by using palm oil as a body moisturiser?

OP
J

jaa

Palm oil tastes kinda funny, but is ok with red meat. I can't imagine using it to cook in many other dishes.

Back
Top Bottom