Lack Of Appetite

Runenight201

I am so grateful that I’ve always had an appetite, and it always lets me know when I haven’t had enough to eat or I’ve eaten something incorrectly. I certainly think a hallmark of prime metabolic function is consuming large amounts of calories and feeling the robust health and energy that comes with it.

I had a conversation with someone today where they said they never had an appetite. When they were hungry, they would eat, but then quickly get full. They were trying to lose weight, but didn’t eat that much food. From my perspective, forcing the body to do something against its natural inclination seems wrong, yet at the same time, this individual clearly needed to eat more to have better health, including losing weight.

Perhaps they need to experiment with more refined sources of food? For instance, if they couldn’t eat but a little bit of starch and meat and then get full, have them eat a dessert of ice cream or sugar milk with soda/fruit juice?

In your own respective opinions, what is the best method of stimulating natural appetite, whether it be psychological, pharmaceutical, or supplemental?

michael94

Low usable calcium levels, this is sometimes caused by infection rather than calcium intake, something to keep in mind before recommending a tub of ice cream or sugar milk

redsun

I am so grateful that I’ve always had an appetite, and it always lets me know when I haven’t had enough to eat or I’ve eaten something incorrectly. I certainly think a hallmark of prime metabolic function is consuming large amounts of calories and feeling the robust health and energy that comes with it.

I had a conversation with someone today where they said they never had an appetite. When they were hungry, they would eat, but then quickly get full. They were trying to lose weight, but didn’t eat that much food. From my perspective, forcing the body to do something against its natural inclination seems wrong, yet at the same time, this individual clearly needed to eat more to have better health, including losing weight.

Perhaps they need to experiment with more refined sources of food? For instance, if they couldn’t eat but a little bit of starch and meat and then get full, have them eat a dessert of ice cream or sugar milk with soda/fruit juice?

In your own respective opinions, what is the best method of stimulating natural appetite, whether it be psychological, pharmaceutical, or supplemental?

B1, zinc deficiencies can lead to loss of appetite and supplementing then can help normalize appetite(bring it up or down as needed). Most people will have suboptimal levels of both B1 and zinc because of increased empty sugar consumption and the fact that many have transitioned more to white meat for protein and less red meat as per recommendation by the powers that be.

I have noticed in my own experience B1 has helped immensely in toning down my appetite likely because it reduces wasteful oxidizing of glucose so more ATP can be produced with less. If someone had no appetite B1 would increase not decrease it like it is for me.

I have also had periods of time where I completely lost my appetite which is not common for me and supplementing zinc was able to bring it right back.

Its also no coincidence they are necessary for ample stomach acid production.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Serotonin or being metabolically sick or mentally off can cause reduced appetite. Cypro is known to increase appetite.
How much is that person actually eating? Lots of people think they eat little, but eat high-calorie foods and are actually overeating.

Lejeboca

Good question: Since started to follow Dr. Peat recommended diet, I also cannot eat 'normal' quantities of food (that I used to do) at one sitting. When eating a meal, all of a sudden, I get full in the middle of a normal portion and cannot take anything into the mouth anymore. Can be very annoying in a social setting... , in which case my solution is to pause, maybe for 5-10 minutes, waiting when the satiety passes and continue till the next 'cannot eat' moment. But after about the 3rd moment, I cannot eat anymore at all. When alone, I just walk off my food and come back when 'hunger' returns.
On the other hand, I can eat 'ad lib' fruit, juices, milk when I want to eat/snack something.
So, I guess, your suggestion of "Perhaps they need to experiment with more refined sources of food? For instance, if they couldn’t eat but a little bit of starch and meat and then get full, have them eat a dessert of ice cream or sugar milk with soda/fruit juice?" works for me. But I'd be curious too what others' experiences are in this situation.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

Serotonin or being metabolically sick or mentally off can cause reduced appetite. Cypro is known to increase appetite.
How much is that person actually eating? Lots of people think they eat little, but eat high-calorie foods and are actually overeating.

Yesterday she told me all she ate was a couple plums, a pear, and 2 bottles of water, and it was 7pm... I’ll have to investigate further to see if she is cycling periods of restrictive eating with period symptoms of binge eating, but she did mention that she’s lost some weight since coming to America and watching what she eats.

Good question: Since started to follow Dr. Peat recommended diet, I also cannot eat 'normal' quantities of food (that I used to do) at one sitting. When eating a meal, all of a sudden, I get full in the middle of a normal portion and cannot take anything into the mouth anymore. Can be very annoying in a social setting... , in which case my solution is to pause, maybe for 5-10 minutes, waiting when the satiety passes and continue till the next 'cannot eat' moment. But after about the 3rd moment, I cannot eat anymore at all. When alone, I just walk off my food and come back when 'hunger' returns.
On the other hand, I can eat 'ad lib' fruit, juices, milk when I want to eat/snack something.
So, I guess, your suggestion of "Perhaps they need to experiment with more refined sources of food? For instance, if they couldn’t eat but a little bit of starch and meat and then get full, have them eat a dessert of ice cream or sugar milk with soda/fruit juice?" works for me. But I'd be curious too what others' experiences are in this situation.

I’ve noted that when I inappropriately eat meat or starch, it will be very hard to digest, and get stuck and then feel like a block in my stomach. I can’t eat much of it before I feel “full” from it, even though a different type of hunger will emerge 30 mins to an hour later.

Yesterday I ate a lot of fat, soups, dairy, and fruits and felt good. I like starch, especially bread, but it is easy to overdo and then cause problems. Gentle foods, especially soups, fruits, and nuts seem to me much easier for digestion and energy.

olive

If you eat easily digestible foods with sufficient fibre and supplement with ginger + bromelain with each meal you can eat a lot more than you imagine. And once you get full, add a few tsp of sugar to the dish to re-stimulate appetite. I regularly consume 3-4kg of sweet potato in one sitting. And within 3-4 hours, I could sit down and do it again - assuming I take ginger and bromelain post consumption. Sometimes when my appetite is low or my stomach feels full I’ll cover the remaining potatoes in sugar then restart eating in 5 minutes time without issue. It’s also important for digestion that you are active. At least 10 minutes of walking after each meal.

Jon

To know for sure this person isn’t eating enough you need to know how many calories they’re eating. Calories don’t really work day to day they work week to week. She sounds like a chronic under eater to me and usually people like that eat sparsely for a few days then have a day of copious eating (that sometimes includes drinking alcohol; a source of high calories in small volume) that makes up for the lack of calories and wahlaa, they have attained a maintenance level of calories for the week and weight stays the same. Often times people like this have a settling weight range that toggles up or down 3 to 5lbs due to the fluctuations on edema they incur caused by under eating some days, then refilling glycogen stores on others. To truly know what’s going on you gotta know how much they actually eat everyday for around a month of truthful monitoring. Unfortunately this is a concept difficult for most people to undertake, and even if they do, their inaccuracies of tracking their food may skew the results since in my experience it takes a minimum of a year to two to actually understand what’s in a wide variety of foods and requires constant education.

ShotTrue

She definitely sounds like an under eater. I mean, there was literally no protein in what you mentioned before.
Maybe it would be easier to mention eating well rounded meals? A protein, a carb, a fruit, a veg . She clearly needs to incorporate protein
Exercise also helps stimulate my appetite, like lifting weights (which she probably won't want to do). If she's nto expending many calroies her metablosim might not be triggered.
She's also eating late in the day. She should try to start eating breakfast. Personally I have found it pretty easy to slip into a fasting state where I didn't feel hungry, I would try to force myself to eat some bread (easy carb, like Hawaiian rolls) and try to make sure I'm eating a solid amount of meat 3 times a day or so.
She needs to plan out what she is going to eat, and whatever she doesn't manage she can take home with her and eat tomorrow.
Also I suggest snacks, a lot of people mindlessly eat snacks and this could help her reach an eating quota (like a granola bar between meals)
This will help train her to eat consistently

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals