Is Living Off Oj, Ice Cream And Chocolate For A Week Okay?

mangolife

I'm going to France for a week with my school soon ( :D ) and we don't get a choice for what we eat; it's all-inclusive, and the only meal that i'm able to actually eat goof food is breakfast: pretty much unlimited access of cheese, fresh milk, fresh OJ/apple juice, coffee, fruit, and sugar. Lunch is trickier; most days I'm able to buy things when we're out and about, but it has to be convenient and able to withstand not being stored in a refrigerator. Hence, lunch may have to be ice cream (oh the horror! it still feels bad, though) coffee, OJ, coke, chocolate, maybe some fresh fruit if I can get my hands on it. And dinner is impossible, though I think it's mostly meat + potatoes + green beans; hopefully there won't be an abundance of pork and chicken.

Before you comment on my orthorexia - which I probably wouldn't blame you for - gluten and PUFA make my skin absolutely terrible, and make me gain weight a hell of a lot easier; gluten in particular bloats me like a b****.

So, what do you think of the above? It'll mainly be sugar/fat for a week, it seems, though I'll attempt to get some quality protein in if I can. Or should I just eat the sandwiches etc and not even try to replace it with coke and ice cream and fruit etc? Bearing in mind I'm still trying to lose weight.

jyb

Cheese can be kept outside a fridge for a while, especially a hard cheese kept sealed. Yogurt should be safe for hours, though it will liquefy a bit. Actually I think if you have access to a store once every day, then that's an easy situation provided you are not forced to eat much of the prepared meals for social reasons.

Recently on a weekend trip I lived off mainly chocolate bar/cocoa butter/cheese (stored in my backpack), as a complement to the prepared meals (only eating the meat and avoiding or taking small portions of the rest). I did take some gelatin powder too, but that's probably overdoing it.

This should allow to provide reliable energy and the ability the skip the occasional sandwich meal ("no thanks I'm not hungry, I'll just have some coffee") without stress when it's the only option. You may find that actually avoiding all the sandwich/bread/soda/crisps/etc snacks, you are less hungry than your peers as your energy stores and blood glucose remain much more stable.

OP
M

mangolife

jyb said:
Cheese can be kept outside a fridge for a while, especially a hard cheese kept sealed. Yogurt should be safe for hours, though it will liquefy a bit. Actually I think if you have access to a store once every day, then that's an easy situation provided you are not forced to eat much of the prepared meals for social reasons.

Recently on a weekend trip I lived off mainly chocolate bar/cocoa butter/cheese (stored in my backpack), as a complement to the prepared meals (only eating the meat and avoiding or taking small portions of the rest). I did take some gelatin powder too, but that's probably overdoing it.

This should allow to provide reliable energy and the ability the skip the occasional sandwich meal ("no thanks I'm not hungry, I'll just have some coffee") without stress when it's the only option. You may find that actually avoiding all the sandwich/bread/soda/crisps/etc snacks, you are less hungry than your peers as your energy stores and blood glucose remain much more stable.

I think there will be a couple of days where I'm going to have to load up on breakfast, but to be honest, when it's as hot as I think it will be, I'm okay for most of the day drinking water, juice, and coke. If I were to get a 200g packet of Gouda, would that last a day in a backpack, provided I keep it in the shade as much as possible and sealed?

Yeah, that's another reason. When I eat that sort of lunch I do not feel satiated at all. Hopefully I'll be alright, though.

Zachs

I would just snack on dairy products, chocolate, sugar, fruit and cured meats all day. Pretty simple. Lots of good food where your going most likely.

jyb

mangolife said:
I think there will be a couple of days where I'm going to have to load up on breakfast, but to be honest, when it's as hot as I think it will be, I'm okay for most of the day drinking water, juice, and coke. If I were to get a 200g packet of Gouda, would that last a day in a backpack, provided I keep it in the shade as much as possible and sealed?

Yeah, that's another reason. When I eat that sort of lunch I do not feel satiated at all. Hopefully I'll be alright, though.

I am not sure if its possible for cheese to spoil, especially Gouda for just a day. It might melt a bit and taste strong though. Probably unsafe cheese would taste bad so you would tell.

I don't think I would feel good drinking just juice/coke for the day and I didn't pack any, but you can probably tell right now whether it'd work for you by carrying out an experiment for half a day or more.

OP
M

mangolife

@Zachs sounds like a plan.

@jyb I like strong-tasting cheese :) that should be fine, then. Yeah, it would be interesting to see how I cope with all sugar and no protein/fat for a half-day.

uuy8778yyi

have you considered jackson's potato chips, just crisps fried in coconut oil ?

or make your own ?

schultz

I would buy a bottle of milk everyday and just drink that over the course of the day, while also eating some of the other things you mentioned. Milk won't go bad in 8 hours out of a fridge, I do it all the time.

tara

Can you get a cooler bag to but in your backpack to help protect your milk?

If it were me, I'd be avoiding PUFA, probably minimising bread (I don't react well to lots of bread/wheat, but you may find a little plain white baguette, is OK for you? ). If I didn't have a personal intolerance, I'd be sampling and revelling in the various cheeses available - some of them just get tastier with time out of the fridge (I love camembert, etc; unfortuntely they don't love me), and whatever fruit was available. I'd consider meat, potatoes and greens to be a reasonable meal, esp. if the potatoes are served with butter, though I prefer not to eat heaps of meat in the evening. If coffee is ok for you, latte may be readily available? Can you take some hydrolysed gelatine along with you to add to juice/milk? Consider taking a little salt shaker? Chocolate and dried fruit as reserve food for when you can't find something better fresh.

I don't think I'd do well on just OJ, icecream and chocolate for a week, but as above, you can test it out for half a day or a day before you go.

Brian

When I go camping I freeze mason jars of sugared or chocolate milk to take with me. I drink it as it slowly melts throughout the day. If you can find a liter sized water bottle that freezes well you could do the same thing without it being obvious.

OP
M

mangolife

tara said:
Can you get a cooler bag to but in your backpack to help protect your milk?

If it were me, I'd be avoiding PUFA, probably minimising bread (I don't react well to lots of bread/wheat, but you may find a little plain white baguette, is OK for you? ). If I didn't have a personal intolerance, I'd be sampling and revelling in the various cheeses available - some of them just get tastier with time out of the fridge (I love camembert, etc; unfortuntely they don't love me), and whatever fruit was available. I'd consider meat, potatoes and greens to be a reasonable meal, esp. if the potatoes are served with butter, though I prefer not to eat heaps of meat in the evening. If coffee is ok for you, latte may be readily available? Can you take some hydrolysed gelatine along with you to add to juice/milk? Consider taking a little salt shaker? Chocolate and dried fruit as reserve food for when you can't find something better fresh.

I don't think I'd do well on just OJ, icecream and chocolate for a week, but as above, you can test it out for half a day or a day before you go.

I could try, but the smallest I've seen unfortunately wouldn't fit in my bag, especially with all of the other things I have to carry around all day. However, I'm not expecting the chances to buy milk etc to be too intermittent, so I should be okay in that manner.

I'll try the baguette (it was delicious the last time i had it) and as for the other things, they should all be fine - asides gelatine which I can't actually access at all, sadly - and if I am at a crossroads, I may as well just eat the food provided; it won't be entirely evil, considering it'll all be fresh even if it is PUFA, and the stress from worrying would more than likely be a lot worse than the actual food itself. I'll just do my best.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals