High Dose Iodine, Are We Right

mgrabs

Can everyone help this thread get a lot of traction? I feel like this needs to be discussed amongs everyone here!

Maybe iodine is a very powerful metabolism booster that we’re all overlooking or missing?

Can anyone weigh in on this post that take high ish dose iodine? I myself have tried iodine one day at a high dose and i felt incredible. Tried lower and did NOT feel so great. & stopping did not feel great either

I understand the RDA is around 150mcg
& I understand Ray isn’t big with iodine supplementation.

Now….

Why are there so many success stories supplementing anywhere from 1mg upwards to 12.5mg to 50mg?

Im hearing from a hollistic doctor that she has her patients on thyroid along with 12.5mg of iodine daily.

How is it so good or even so bad? What is the truth behind it?

Theres also numerous organs in our bodies that utilize iodine more than the thyroid!

Is Peat actually right or wrong about the truth of iodine supplementation?

youngsinatra

I think many of us tried going down that route before.

Danny Roddy certainly did the high-dose iodine and he said it’s the one thing that made him feel the most hypothyroid ever. I never tried more than 3mg. But at any dose, it always felt like it hurt my thyroid function overall. It also reliably gave me a burning sensation around my thyroid and I got close to hypothermia on it. I know one person that took not a too crazy dose of iodine and afterwards had a TSH of 150 and hashimoto hypothyroidism. I think I remember a post where you stated that your thyroid problems started after taking iodine, didn’t it?

I am in some facebook groups, where people have been ingesting multiple hundred milligrams of iodine per day and they still have mediocre thyroid panels…

Iodine restriction studies have been done and shown to normalize subclinical hypothyroidism in humans. There are a lot studies that shine a light on the negative side of iodine..

Iodine intake has never been higher in human history and hypothyroidism has been rising alongside the iodine intake in the west.

OP
M

mgrabs

I think many of us tried going down that route before.

Danny Roddy certainly did the high-dose iodine and he said it’s the one thing that made him feel the most hypothyroid ever. I never tried more than 3mg. But at any dose, it always felt like it hurt my thyroid function overall. It also reliably gave me a burning sensation around my thyroid and I got close to hypothermia on it. I know one person that took not a too crazy dose of iodine and afterwards had a TSH of 150 and hashimoto hypothyroidism. I think I remember a post where you stated that your thyroid problems started after taking iodine, didn’t it?

I am in some facebook groups, where people have been ingesting multiple hundred milligrams of iodine per day and they still have mediocre thyroid panels…

Iodine restriction studies have been done and shown to normalize subclinical hypothyroidism in humans. There are a lot studies that shine a light on the negative side of iodine..

Iodine intake has never been higher in human history and hypothyroidism has been rising alongside the iodine intake in the west.
Oh yes! Big time. I actually was on it last year without thyroud medication. I was doing 12.5 for a month and went down hill number wise. But my t3 and t4 were the highest its ever been. (Good way) i was ridden with anxiety and irritable. BUT my
Sleep skin and hair improved like crazy. Along with my cravings and sustained energy. I always ask myself what if i was just getting detox reactions or my adrenals and micronutrients weren’t ready for that accelerator? What if i took it with thyroid hormone? Im still on a little over a grain and my
Morning temps are
Slowly raising. But i have to go slow. Waking around 97.6 from 96.2. I noticed going slow like 2 months before a dose increase helps.

But iodine is always in the back of my mind to pair up with thyroid hormone. The clarity and boost in well being is very hard to explain. Life felt very clear and enjoyable. But i did hit that road bump of having bad symptoms. Should i have stopped so abruptly? Should i have lowered the dose? I always wonder

jay123

I remember reading on here by a member @Jam . He has put some interesting information about iodine/iodide on here. From what I understand there are a lot of people who do become hypo at first due to a rise in TSH and then it comes back down (I'm not sure how long that takes). I found this from him on a post. It may be helpful to you. I have always been curious about thyroid function with iodine/iodide and our stress/environmental factors. Could something so simple be a big help? And why all the controversy with it?

Post in thread 'Iodine making hypothyroid symptoms worse?' Iodine making hypothyroid symptoms worse?

Peater

There's loads of info on here. Also loads of people saying "I took Lugol's and my head fell off", they never mention actually doing the research and taking selenium, salt, B2 and B3 along side it.

OP
M

mgrabs

There's loads of info on here. Also loads of people saying "I took Lugol's and my head fell off", they never mention actually doing the research and taking selenium, salt, B2 and B3 along side it.
I know! Thats what im reading. It still leaves me hanging on what is right or wrong. I do know the increase in TSH is only temporary!

Ras

TSH must rise with increased iodide/iodine intake, as this is how the sodium/iodide symporter is upregulated. This is a feature, not a bug.

jay123

TSH must rise with increased iodide/iodine intake, as this is how the sodium/iodide symporter is upregulated. This is a feature, not a bug.
From what you have read or researched, does it return to lower TSH levels while still supplementing? And any duration on that?

Ras

From what you have read or researched, does it return to lower TSH levels while still supplementing? And any duration on that?
If I remember correctly, TSH falls with continued intake. I think the duration is unique to each person's iodide/iodine body saturation.

jay123

If I remember correctly, TSH falls with continued intake. I think the duration is unique to each person's iodide/iodine body saturation.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I am trying to ponder this from a bioenergenic standpoint. And what @Peater said above about what to take with it........it seems they may be a catalyst for each other for energy which would be good.

Peater

Thanks. I appreciate that. I am trying to ponder this from a bioenergenic standpoint. And what @Peater said above about what to take with it........it seems they may be a catalyst for each other for energy which would be good.

In my limited and n=1 experience, selenium and SALT are the most important, if I had to choose. I never experienced much by way of "detox" (Beyond some odd-smelling pee!) which actually validates the theory in my opinion and that's because in the UK we never fluoridated water (But we do chlorinate) and I haven't eaten bread in any significant quantity for 15 years, so if we used bromide in the flour it would not affect me. I have no mercury fillings, but have received vaccines in the past. Also some exposure to smashed fluorescent tubes due to my job.

I also don't think it would hurt to take NDT and whatever form of iodine works for you at the same time. It seems like they would 'feed off each other'. I found an interesting snippet from Ray himself regarding NDT which has all sorts of positive safety and dosing implications.

PT: Interesting. you would think if you had a live thyroid that you could you'd feel that one you I mean if you just I mean you ate a whole one or something like that?

RP: yeah and they aren't as toxic as the government warned. If that guy was on average if half of the next still had the gland in it each one might weigh one gram, that would be 30 grains for lunch. And a friend of mine had her thyroid powder in the plastic bag and her cat--- she had about 13 grains of thyroid in the bag--- and her cat has found it and tore the bag open and ate it all. And she said he was sitting there with a very fast heartbeat smiling.

PT: do you think when people ate more of a natural I guess on the farm and stuff that our chickens that we used to get some kind of the thyroid in there didn't we with the chickens?

RP: yeah yeah I used to find even at the Safeway supermarket a pound of chicken necks two or three of them they would have left the gland thyroid gland under the skin even though it was illegal they, starting in the 1940s, the government required that it be removed and sold to the drug companies on on the farm they would almost never bother removing the gland so it goes in the soup or fried chicken. A guy I knew who has worked on a farm said on on Fridays that was her fried chicken day and he always asked for the necks and would eat four or five necks for lunch and he said he'd always noticed that on Friday afternoons he was constantly overheated and sweating because he was eating like 15 grains of thyroid for lunch.

GTW

Conditional, relative, contextual.
Millet, soy, brassica plant foods are goitrogenic. Iodine counters the goitrogenic effect. But probably vice versa, excess iodine is mitigated by daikon, soy, etc. Typical Japanese diet has relatively high Iodine from seaweed. And goitrogenic foods.
One time radioactive poisoning prevention is 120mg Iodine dose.

TheSir

Since selenium & other cofactors were already mentioned, I'm just going to share a couple of excellent resources on iodine therapy:

OP
M

mgrabs

When I was on iodine last year i felt great. It was 12.5mgs every morning. I was NOT on NDT or any kind of thyroid. My doctor mentioned sometimes someone only needs iodine. Some people need iodine and less thyroid but still taken together.

We experimented with only iodine and my tsh went from 3.5 to 15 in 6-8 weeks. But my t4 and t3 greatly improved. No signs of antibodies and my reverse t3 was very very low. All good!

Id assume my unpleasant symptoms were from a high tsh

I now wonder if only i had NDT at the same time to help suppress TSH and the iodine to feed the active THYROID HORMONES T4 & 3! I bet that would've done the trick.

But haven't experimented since.

My diet now has some iodine and i also supplement with 150mcg iodine daily through a multi mineral complex

I dont see an issue at the moment

TheSir

When I was on iodine last year i felt great. It was 12.5mgs every morning. I was NOT on NDT or any kind of thyroid. My doctor mentioned sometimes someone only needs iodine. Some people need iodine and less thyroid but still taken together.

We experimented with only iodine and my tsh went from 3.5 to 15 in 6-8 weeks. But my t4 and t3 greatly improved. No signs of antibodies and my reverse t3 was very very low. All good!

Id assume my unpleasant symptoms were from a high tsh
As far as I know, TSH doesn't make you feel anything, as it's just a signal. In hypothyroidism, the negative symptoms emerge from the disease itself and the TSH is just a measure of the severity of the disease. As someone said above, when you take iodine, your TSH will rise for reasons that have no connection to hypothyroid TSH elevation.

The reason you were feeling negative symptoms was likely either detox or lack of selenium. If you give iodine therapy another try (which I suggest you do given your wonderful initial response), take 100-200mcg of selenium methinione a day and ingest a good amount of salt whenever you feel bad.

OP
M

mgrabs

As far as I know, TSH doesn't make you feel anything, as it's just a signal. In hypothyroidism, the negative symptoms emerge from the disease itself and the TSH is just a measure of the severity of the disease. As someone said above, when you take iodine, your TSH will rise for reasons that have no connection to hypothyroid TSH elevation.

The reason you were feeling negative symptoms was likely either detox or lack of selenium. If you give iodine therapy another try (which I suggest you do given your wonderful initial response), take 100-200mcg of selenium methinione a day and ingest a good amount of salt whenever you feel bad.
Interesting. So these feelings were detox? Which was anxiety depression irritability and shakiness?

To me that felt like hyperthyroid symtoms even those numbers didnt fully get there.

Detox symptoms can get like that?

(Thats how i got when my tsh rose and i stopped during the therapy)

AlaskaJono

Interesting. So these feelings were detox? Which was anxiety depression irritability and shakiness?

To me that felt like hyperthyroid symtoms even those numbers didnt fully get there.

Detox symptoms can get like that?

(Thats how i got when my tsh rose and i stopped during the therapy)
There are lots of input on this subject in past threads. Do scroll and look and reflect on various dosages and outcomes. I personally too approx. 50 mg lugol's daily for over 6 months, and tapered down over the last few months for a year total of this supplementation. I also was supplementing other macro-minerals, and seaweed, and eating food out of our own garden much of the time, as this was my focus. I did not drink water that was cholrinated, or bath in it either. Fresh water source. As stated by a few above, there are lots of important co-factors, meaning Selenium, magnesium, etc., and including your own system and the detox phenomena. I don't do blood tests, but have a strong metabolism, AND overall good digestion with transit time. My wife has a totally different metabolism, etc, and is smaller, actually petit, and she was about 5 months of about 30 mg daily, with just a few months tapering down. We both had 0 side effects, and were not sick with a 'cold' or flu during this time, and about a year afterwards. :):

I also have taken over 100 mg Lugol's daily for 5 days at a time, no issues. As mentioned above, the Radiation poisoning 'antidote' just before (?) or after is about 120mg-130 mg. But this is a 'daily dosage' if there is radiation events. THIS INFO has changed on the alphabet agencies website, I just checked, as it was 'daily for 2 weeks' dosage of 130 mg KI 12 years ago. Also historically, in the 1800's, KI was used in huge dosages for serious diseases, when there were no known medicines to give.

Check out the links from Yerrag there - the health - science - spirit from Walter Last.

You will have to experiment yourself if you want to discover what works for you. Cheers.

S.Holmes

I'm using Lugols at very high doses right now to get rid of a lingering post covid sinus infection. I'll report back.

S.Holmes

1000005549.jpg

Peater

I'm using Lugols at very high doses right now to get rid of a lingering post covid sinus infection. I'll report back.

Apart from hopefully noticing the sinus infection healing, have you had any other results good or bad?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals