Impact of discovering you have thyroid problems

4peatssake

Over on a thread about alternative health forums begun by Burtlancast yesterday, Kiran made a comment about having taken iodine and his comment brought up a flurry of thoughts and insights.

The result is this thread - discussing the impact of discovering you have a thyroid problem.

This is some of my story.

I realize that discovering that I am hypothyroid and what that really means has sort of been like getting hit with a sledgehammer and yet oddly enough being extremely thankful for the blow.

Had I not taken the hit, I would have remained completely unaware of the true nature and reasons for my health issues and perhaps never have known how to fully heal myself.

Here's what Kiran said to set off my train of thoughts.

kiran said:
I can tell you that iodine/iodide helped me quite a bit, possibly at the cost of longer term toxicity.
I was taking it until Ray dissuaded me.

My mother has been on iodine for hyperthyroidism since she was in her 40s. She is now 91.

I understand her now like I never have before and can see that her thyroid dysfunction was likely behind all of her tremendous suffering for as long as I can remember. She never knew and just followed "doctor's" orders. I was quite young when she got very ill from the disease - I remember her being so thin and hospitalized and I think she may have nearly died. I was too young to fully remember and was never told anything. It was also made clear never to ask.

So when Ray suggested to me that my own thyroid problems likely began when I started getting chronic nosebleeds in elementary school, so much fell into place not just about what has happened in my own life, but also my mother's. It's like my entire worldview shifted and came into a new focus, revealing a landscape I'd never even seen before. I had not even been looking in the right direction for solutions to my problems so how could I have ever found a solution?

All of what I had been told or had come to believe on my own were "causes" for my physical and emotional problems I very quickly understood had only been "symptoms." This was also made clear in reading many comments here on the forum, notably from experiences related by trramone. There were countless times I would sit with my jaw in my lap at the implications of what I was learning as I read Ray Peat's articles and listened to what others were relating about their experiences.

Not all was lost and during the last 20 years of actively seeking good health, I learned and uncovered a lot and I know not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. But boy that bathwater was really muddy and the baby had become very sick.

I was fortunate to discover many years ago the truth about Big Pharma, doctors and their training (particularly psychiatrists and ssri's etc.), control by the elite, etc. I took the necessary steps to protect myself from that, thankfully. But that is not really pertinent to this thread, but I surely am grateful I am already armed with this knowledge and truth and not having to navigate that territory while also coming to grips with this.

Wouldn't that be something!?

I think too that because I have this information and knowledge already, Ray Peat's research and wisdom has been such an easy and natural fit, another crucial piece of the puzzle and one that pulls a more accurate image into full view. It also helps, for me at least, that the foods he recommends to eat to raise metabolism are easy for me to embrace - but that too is another story. :lol:

Not only does Ray Peat's work ring with truth, I can feel it viscerally and for that I am very grateful. I would hate to be coming to this still clinging to a mainstream mindset! Brain fog is bad enough without having to also combat inner resistance!

It is also so much more than being about food - although getting the food right is absolutely critical of course and a necessary first step. But Ray Peat's work and contributions to humanity have far reaching implications - it is certainly not a mere diet that needs to be understood. It is so much more than that and I do hope more and more threads are developed to discuss many other aspects of his work.

And so getting back to the purpose of this thread - to study the impact of discovering you have a thyroid problem - in my case, hypothyroidism.

So how did finding this out affect me?

First of all, not having this missing critical piece - the actual cause of my myriad of problems - was sufficient to keep my suffering and declining health in place as I began to rapidly approach what I think was critical mass. As menopause crept closer and my hormones because to fluctuate wildy, it was as though the wheels suddenly completely came off. I also had an enormous stressed-filled event that was a huge contributing factor and everything went south as my stress levels went through the roof.

It was in the midst of this horrible crash that I found Ray Peat and began to understand the fuller implications of the deceptions being perpetrated upon a humanity fast asleep, most of whom are convinced that salad, veggies, baked salmon (wild caught of course), lean chicken, grains and pufas will keep them healthy. I had tried every diet I think known to man to try and correct my problems using food. I steered cleared of pharmaceuticals and supplements. I learned to meditate and relax and stay above the negativity of a world gone mad. But the body continued to have great difficulty despite every effort.

I can see that a very large mountain looms ahead of me and it will take time to get my metabolism up to speed. I won't scale the mountain overnight but that's OK. I found the path up the mountain after taking many side roads, some of those necessary and interesting but never leading to the top.

It is a journey worth taking because I am worth it. We all are.

And so, I wonder how many others have found themselves suddenly immersed in a new paradigm having their consciousness shifted to such an extreme after finding Ray Peat.

I believe ttramone has experienced this type of shift as I am sure are many others.

I'd love to hear your story and what it has been like for you.

Mephisto

I had already disliked doctors and big phrama, etc from an early age as they were always useless. I had a lot of physical and serious emotional problems as a kid, but the doctors ignored it.
After taking SSRI's my health got even worse and I decided not to go to them again and began trying to learn about these things myself.
I didn't have any notion of what is considered healthy or unhealthy by the mainstream so it was easy for me to accept new ideas when they were supported by good evidence or just made sense to me...

I'm also really happy about finding Peat's work. In a way I'm almost "happy" about having been sick because otherwise I may have never found his work & started to think in the way that I do now.

I finally understand that what I have thought to be my "personality" was simply symptoms of a malfunctioning body. I don't need to feel helpless, depressed, in a constant state of torpor ... learning about the source of my health issues has allowed me to at times, to alleviate the symptoms and feel normal, more positive and happy, thinking clearly, etc. All of a sudden the mechanical worldview falls apart, life doesn't feel so empty, things are a lot more interesting and I don't feel totally hopeless. My mind has opened up to new possibilities, ideas and understanding of life and the universe. It has allowed me to see through a lot of the dogma in science, physics and astronomy which I was studying included. I can enjoy learning again.

I'm currently reading "The Crack in The Cosmic Egg" which discusses such ideas, and I'd definitely recommend it.

I agree that it would be great if there was more discussion of Peat's other ideas here :D Sadly I still have pretty bad brain fog and can't speak as eloquently as some of the people on this forum :( but would definitely enjoy reading them!

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

himitsu said:
I had already disliked doctors and big phrama, etc from an early age as they were always useless. I had a lot of physical and serious emotional problems as a kid, but the doctors ignored it.
After taking SSRI's my health got even worse and I decided not to go to them again and began trying to learn about these things myself.
I didn't have any notion of what is considered healthy or unhealthy by the mainstream so it was easy for me to accept new ideas when they were supported by good evidence or just made sense to me...

I understand completely and consider those of us who found our way through the maze of lies and deceit to be very fortunate. Finding Ray Peat has added greater depth and understanding to what I already knew, sort of like a wider angle lens showing more of just how deep the rabbit hole goes. I am able to now fill in some pretty important gaps and make important changes.

I've been playing around in my mind this quote from Ray today.

Ray Peat said:
The attempt to steer a person can make it hard for them to move, because it inactivates their own guidance system.

This is exactly how the elite (powers that be, or whatever else you want to call the evil b**tards) controls the masses. Of course the elite employs a variety of methods to achieve this basic goal, - mind control through media, education, in addition to a contaminated air, food and water supply, chemical radiation, EM shock therapy etc. anything and everything they can think of to continue to dumb down humanity and make it sick, dependent and afraid.

himitsu said:
I'm also really happy about finding Peat's work. In a way I'm almost "happy" about having been sick because otherwise I may have never found his work & started to think in the way that I do now.

Yes, me too. I am very grateful for the sledgehammer coming down. It rebooted my guidance system. ;) A key piece of information was missing and I was in a matrix loop! :lol:

himitsu said:
I finally understand that what I have thought to be my "personality" was simply symptoms of a malfunctioning body. I don't need to feel helpless, depressed, in a constant state of torpor ... learning about the source of my health issues has allowed me to at times, to alleviate the symptoms and feel normal, more positive and happy, thinking clearly, etc. All of a sudden the mechanical worldview falls apart, life doesn't feel so empty, things are a lot more interesting and I don't feel totally hopeless. My mind has opened up to new possibilities, ideas and understanding of life and the universe. It has allowed me to see through a lot of the dogma in science, physics and astronomy which I was studying included. I can enjoy learning again.

Waking up is a grand adventure!! :woo The key for me has been to always strive to stay above it and not get discouraged by the how much damage has been done - not just to myself but to all of us. Awake, aware and moving forward despite what we're up against. And it can be fun when you find fellow travelers willing to keep an open mind and explore what is really going on.

himitsu said:
I'm currently reading "The Crack in The Cosmic Egg" which discusses such ideas, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks! I am all too very familiar with self-limiting mental constructs and false realities, having created more than my fair share of them! :lol: We really do live in The Matrix! :lol:

Oh! what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive!

himitsu said:
I agree that it would be great if there was more discussion of Peat's other ideas here :D Sadly I still have pretty bad brain fog and can't speak as eloquently as some of the people on this forum :( but would definitely enjoy reading them!

I agree and hope discussions of his other ideas develop as well. I am sure they will in due time. I understand about the brain fog too but I think you speak very eloquently and clear.

Bob

It was interesting to read your post tonight 4peatssake. I was thinking something similar over these past few days. I am relatively new to Peat (5-6 months). Hoping that over time i can improve my health and well being. I,enjoy this forum!

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

Bob said:
It was interesting to read your post tonight 4peatssake. I was thinking something similar over these past few days. I am relatively new to Peat (5-6 months). Hoping that over time i can improve my health and well being. I,enjoy this forum!

:welcome2 to the forum Bob!

So glad you are here. There are some very knowledgeable "Peatarians" here who are always happy to answer questions and Ray of course always makes himself accessible and answers questions as well!

Do let us know if we can help you in any way! I enjoy the forum too!

juanitacarlos

:goodpost

I realize that discovering that I am hypothyroid and what that really means has sort of been like getting hit with a sledgehammer and yet oddly enough being extremely thankful for the blow.

Had I not taken the hit, I would have remained completely unaware of the true nature and reasons for my health issues and perhaps never have known how to fully heal myself.

This is so true. I sometime think about how far I had to be pushed before I would really take responsibility for my health, which for me means not going to doctors and handing over my health to them. And researching. And experimenting.

I understand her now like I never have before and can see that her thyroid dysfunction was likely behind all of her tremendous suffering for as long as I can remember. She never knew and just followed "doctor's" orders. I was quite young when she got very ill from the disease - I remember her being so thin and hospitalized and I think she may have nearly died. I was too young to fully remember and was never told anything. It was also made clear never to ask.

That's very sad she has gone through this. How painful for you both.

So when Ray suggested to me that my own thyroid problems likely began when I started getting chronic nosebleeds in elementary school, so much fell into place not just about what has happened in my own life, but also my mother's. It's like my entire worldview shifted and came into a new focus, revealing a landscape I'd never even seen before. I had not even been looking in the right direction for solutions to my problems so how could I have ever found a solution?

How could you? How much misinformation is out there? You literally have to divorce yourself from most of society to have any chance when it comes to food, health, medicine etc. And in turn you become somewhat of an outcast.

All of what I had been told or had come to believe on my own were "causes" for my physical and emotional problems I very quickly understood had only been "symptoms." This was also made clear in reading many comments here on the forum, notably from experiences related by trramone. There were countless times I would sit with my jaw in my lap at the implications of what I was learning as I read Ray Peat's articles and listened to what others were relating about their experiences.

Who is this ttramone? She sounds awesome. But seriously, I feel the same way being able to reach out to people on this forum and elsewhere. Thank the goddess of your choice for the internet and Ray Peat.

I think too that because I have this information and knowledge already, Ray Peat's research and wisdom has been such an easy and natural fit, another crucial piece of the puzzle and one that pulls a more accurate image into full view. It also helps, for me at least, that the foods he recommends to eat to raise metabolism are easy for me to embrace - but that too is another story. :lol:

Don't you go there 4peats!!! :lol: I remember listening to Josh Rubin introducing Ray in one of their podcasts and he said something about how Ray's advice works because it's based on how the body works. It seems obvious, but that is really important. I think Ray teaches you to look at the whole organism and the bigger picture. Which has been missing for me, and which I have made poor decisions in the past because I was taking something, or trying something because it did one thing but I would never consider what else it might be doing. What else is affected.

Not only does Ray Peat's work ring with truth, I can feel it viscerally and for that I am very grateful. I would hate to be coming to this still clinging to a mainstream mindset! Brain fog is bad enough without having to also combat inner resistance!

It is also so much more than being about food - although getting the food right is absolutely critical of course and a necessary first step. But Ray Peat's work and contributions to humanity have far reaching implications - it is certainly not a mere diet that needs to be understood. It is so much more than that and I do hope more and more threads are developed to discuss many other aspects of his work.

Totes. Totes.

It was in the midst of this horrible crash that I found Ray Peat and began to understand the fuller implications of the deceptions being perpetrated upon a humanity fast asleep, most of whom are convinced that salad, veggies, baked salmon (wild caught of course), lean chicken, grains and pufas will keep them healthy. I had tried every diet I think known to man to try and correct my problems using food. I steered cleared of pharmaceuticals and supplements. I learned to meditate and relax and stay above the negativity of a world gone mad. But the body continued to have great difficulty despite every effort.

I can see that a very large mountain looms ahead of me and it will take time to get my metabolism up to speed. I won't scale the mountain overnight but that's OK. I found the path up the mountain after taking many side roads, some of those necessary and interesting but never leading to the top.

It is a journey worth taking because I am worth it. We all are.

I couldn't agree more. I bet so many people have been through exactly what you have written.
And so, I wonder how many others have found themselves suddenly immersed in a new paradigm having their consciousness shifted to such an extreme after finding Ray Peat.

I believe ttramone has experienced this type of shift as I am sure are many others.

I'd love to hear your story and what it has been like for you.

It's already been life changing for me. It really has. I was in the car the other day (by myself) and just started laughing because it occurred to me that I'm getting better. Or more :crazy: , I'm not sure. I've had issues all my life, but the last 5 years have been a real nightmare. And I'm actually turning this around. How can I not be changed? I've had some pretty negative thoughts, wanting to end it all because I couldn't fix myself. So finding this guy who knows what I'm going through - I mean completely understands it - and can offer practical advice, has been a godsend.

I feel like having had to deal with these medical 'professionals' has almost forced me to find someone like Peat. I feel lied to. Big time. I wish I'd known then, what I know now! But it could never be that way; I had to go through all this ***t to end up where I am today.

Also, I've always been a reader, and like to learn about things, but I seriously cannot get enough of Peat, and understanding how the body works, and how we lost our way, what forces are impacting the food supply, government, the medical establishment etc. I've always been very quick to throw my :2cents in, and yet most of what I knew was wrong! But now I'm finding myself more knowledgeable, understanding things in greater detail, but keeping more to myself on this. I think partly that is because I feel a bit foolish at how gullible I was to health advice I read in a magazine, or saw on the interwebz. And I was wrong. Really wrong. So I now I want to know what I'm talking about before I open my mouth. But I also think...why should anyone listen to me? I'm really overweight. I'm not a picture of health (or what others would see as healthy) even though I'm improving. I really want to be an example to others, to show them that you can really turn your health around. I'm a long way off from that, but it's a huge motivation for me. That's really different for me too.

gretchen

Hi 4peatssake,
I have written about my whole journey with health at length already but yes definitely this info has proved to be the missing link I've been seeking for years and explains health problems that go back to childhood, as well as the cause of my parent's health problems also.

My generation was raised with fad diets, "media"-spoon fed education, cult of celebrity, a love of exercise, Big Pharma medicine (so hard to dodge!). So now, if you ask most generation Xers (and many Boomers also :D ) what's "healthy", they will say things like "everyone's different, what works for one person isn't going to work for someone else" (that's straight off of Oprah), "you're not going to lose weight unless you exercise", "I've gotten a lot of the sugar out of my diet", "it's calories in/calories out- duh, just eat less", "go ahead and try the Accutane, it worked for me", "you should go on something", "the birth control pill doesn't cause weight gain", "my tsh is 3, that's not high; no, I don't have hypothyroid and neither do you", "I run 10 miles a day, have Botox and take bioidentical hormones" ("I'm BETTER than you!"), "my doctor has to remove my ovary, it has a cyst on it" "exercise doesn't accelerate aging, it "prevents" it" etc. And even though none of was raised eating essential fats, now we apparently all should. So thank God for Trader Joe's and $8 fish oil!

Before this shift in understanding I had been writing on various forums for almost 5 years without getting ANY reliable answers about what was the cause of my wrinkles, fatigue, perimenopause, mood swings, blood sugar crashes, swelled neck, and constipation. I declared every day in 2011 to be a "partial sick day".

So yeah, it's great to finally find out why.

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

gretchen said:
Hi 4peatssake,
I have written about my whole journey with health at length already but yes definitely this info has proved to be the missing link I've been seeking for years and explains health problems that go back to childhood, as well as the cause of my parent's health problems also.

Thanks Gretchen. I appreciate you sharing your experience and story. It has been interesting to see how coming to this information has opened a greater understanding of our parents' woes and struggles with health. None of us can escape the conditions - the horrific poisoning that is being done to us - but armed with accurate information we can do our best to mitigate the damage. I think this is why - at least in part - our sharing with one another is so very helpful.

gretchen said:
My generation was raised with fad diets, "media"-spoon fed education, cult of celebrity, a love of exercise, Big Pharma medicine (so hard to dodge!). So now, if you ask most generation Xers (and many Boomers also :D ) what's "healthy", they will say things like "everyone's different, what works for one person isn't going to work for someone else" (that's straight off of Oprah), "you're not going to lose weight unless you exercise", "I've gotten a lot of the sugar out of my diet", "it's calories in/calories out- duh, just eat less", "go ahead and try the Accutane, it worked for me", "you should go on something", "the birth control pill doesn't cause weight gain", "my tsh is 3, that's not high; no, I don't have hypothyroid and neither do you", "I run 10 miles a day, have Botox and take bioidentical hormones" ("I'm BETTER than you!"), "my doctor has to remove my ovary, it has a cyst on it" "exercise doesn't accelerate aging, it "prevents" it" etc. And even though none of was raised eating essential fats, now we apparently all should. So thank God for Trader Joe's and $8 fish oil!

Wow, that is quite a summary of an ill-advised group-think. I am fortunate to have such hard-wired rebelliousness that although I was sufficiently indoctrinated to feel intense shame and guilt for not toeing the party line, I could never be assimilated into mainstream. (Thank you God.) The very worst thing I did was deprive myself of sugar and spend years feeling horrible and weak-willed that I could never "give it up."

gretchen said:
Before this shift in understanding I had been writing on various forums for almost 5 years without getting ANY reliable answers about what was the cause of my wrinkles, fatigue, perimenopause, mood swings, blood sugar crashes, swelled neck, and constipation. I declared every day in 2011 to be a "partial sick day".

So yeah, it's great to finally find out why.

I understand completely. This has been a missing link for me as well. I was operating from a completely incorrect view of myself and my true problems. It is difficult to resolve a problem when you aren't seeing it accurately, kind of like trying to understand an orange while cutting open a banana.

Until I had an accurate view of my situation, I could neither determine nor begin to apply a solution that worked for me.

BingDing

4peatssake, just reading your post and this thread picked me up. Thanks!

I think I was just feeling a little isolated. Driving through town today I was thinking about all my favorite restaurants as I went past them. The Caribbean Grill is a Cuban place with some delicious, old time food that I loved. Last time I was in I asked what they cook the meat in; soy oil. I asked what they cook the fries in; "we use soy oil for everything". Ugh. Crisp and Juicy was my favorite rotisserie chicken place, even if I go for a bit of chicken fat once a month the bread is out, the mayo based sauce is out, the fries are out. What's the point? Same with the Lebanese Taverna, the Italian Deli, you get the idea.

Anyway, I found this interview on Danny Roddy that I hadn't read before, some of it's on point with your thoughts:

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/an-inter ... ymond-peat

BD

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

BingDing said:
4peatssake, just reading your post and this thread picked me up. Thanks!

Well, that there, just made my day!

BingDing said:
I think I was just feeling a little isolated. Driving through town today I was thinking about all my favorite restaurants as I went past them. The Caribbean Grill is a Cuban place with some delicious, old time food that I loved. Last time I was in I asked what they cook the meat in; soy oil. I asked what they cook the fries in; "we use soy oil for everything". Ugh. Crisp and Juicy was my favorite rotisserie chicken place, even if I go for a bit of chicken fat once a month the bread is out, the mayo based sauce is out, the fries are out. What's the point? Same with the Lebanese Taverna, the Italian Deli, you get the idea.

I have a couple of favorite spots where I can order a rare steak, baked potatoe and grilled mushrooms when I feel the need to go out. For the most part, I am happy to take my meals at home but I surely understand missing some old stomping grounds. I sure do wish some place would start using coconut oil for making french fries. Those I miss, especially ones you buy from the side of a truck! :mrgreen:

BingDing said:
Anyway, I found this interview on Danny Roddy that I hadn't read before, some of it's on point with your thoughts:

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/an-inter ... ymond-peat

Whoa, some pure Peat here.

Ray Peat said:
“Knowledge isn’t a commodity, especially not a fungible commodity, as the medical business sees it. Consciousness and culture are part of the life process. It is exactly the commoditization of medical knowledge that makes it dangerous, and generally stupid. Doctors buy their knowledge, and then resell it over and over; it’s valuable as a commodity, so its value has to be protected by the equivalent of a copyright, the system of laws establishing the profession. Without its special status, its worthlessness would be quickly demonstrated."

and this!

Ray Peat said:
Each time you learn something, your consciousness becomes something different, and the questions you ask will be different; you don’t know what the next appropriate question will be when you haven’t assimilated the earlier answers. Until you see something as the answer to an urgent question, you can’t see that it has any value. The unexpected can’t be a commodity. When people buy professional knowledge they get what they pay for, a commodity in a system that sustains ignorance.”

Thanks BD - good stuff. :thumbup