Can Autoimmune Hypothyroid Be Fixed Via Diet And Supplementation?

OP
B

BigChad

Yes.

I also don't advise using just one, but a mixed one, such as TocoVit. Alpha-tocopherol prevent lipid peroxidation and also the COX enzymes but doesn't "quench" already formed radicals, whereas gamma-tocopherol quenches them, but don't prevent them from forming. Having both is good.

Not a lot of natural sources are really high in tocotrienols, but rather the tocopherols. I'd try to keep it that way and not supplement excessive trocotrienols, but 40mg three times a week shouldn't be too much.

I see. So thorne says they filter out soy residues using molecular distillation.

I read that alpha tocopherol reduces or inhibits tocotrienol absorption and assimilation. Acgrace said that on their site.
Its odd the foods with tocotrienols are red palm, coconut, macadamia, while the typical unhealthy pufas like soy have almost no tocotrienols.

I was wondering what you think about using this product, but just 1 capsule a day instead of the 12 capsule serving size. Mainly for the b vitamins and 3mg zinc.
One capsule would have 80mg vitamin c, 10mg b1, 4mg b2, 16mg niacin, 8.75mg p5p, 60mcg methyl b12, 33mcg methylfolate, 3mg zinc citrate, 10mcg molybdenum, 16mcg selenium, 40mcg chromium, 250mcg boron, 50mg NAC, 30mg green tea extract, 1.2mg lutein, 300mcg lycopene, 125mcg beta carotene, 10mg milk thistle.

Some of those nutrients are concerning, some are 5ar inhibitors or estrogenic. I was wondering if the doses would be small enough to where they wouldn't matter, with 1 cap instead of 12. The bigger concerns are the beta carotene, nac, green tea, lutein and lycopene. I've read some scary things about those. Lutein, lycopene and beta carotene all act similar to pufa.

On consumer labs i read that zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium and a few other things reduce absorption of carotenoids and carotenes like beta carotene, lutein, lycopene.
I would have this multivitamin along with a 200mg magnesium aspartate capsule plus some fat solubles, and after a meal including 13oz whole milk, 4oz ground lamb and 8oz greek yogurt.
Ive heard aspartate isnt the best, but i tried traacs glycinate and it messed with my sleep. I think it converts to glutamate for me. Aspartate doesnt seem anywhere near as stimulatory. I also did fine on it on zma. Malate is too acidic and irritated my stomach.

Life Extension Mix, 360 capsules | Life Extension

I also wanted to ask if you think chromium, manganese, molybdenum and iodine need to be supplemented? I get some iodine from meat and milk, but chromium, manganese and molybdenum i dont really get from diet. Idk if those are actually essential. The rda for manganese is 2.3mg yet we have 20mg manganese stored in the body. Manganese doesnt seem to be excreted much in sweat, so that rda value seems off if we only have 20mg in the body. Someone on here posted that manganese is estrogenic and molybdenum is inversely correlated with testosterone. I know manganese depletes iron and to a lesser extent copper, while molybdenum also depletes copper and is involved in breaking down sulfates.

Given the b vitamins in that lifeextension multi would I also benefit from taking 400mcg methylfolate once a week? Thats another b vitamin i dont get much of from diet

OP
B

BigChad

@Hans found this regarding nutrigold E. Basically the 40mg tocotrienols are from red palm. They contain some plant phytosterols and squalene. The 40mg tocopherols are from sunflower. No molecular distillation is used. Im not sure if this product is safe.

They also told me each liquid capsule contains less than 450mg of red palm, sunflower and olive oil combined of which red palm is the majority. Im guessing it could be 200mg red palm, 150mg sunflower 100mg olive oil. I might use thornes vitamin e twice a week and nutrigolds twice a week.

• Red palm oil contributes some of the d-alpha tocopherol per serving of the product, but the tocopherols in Vitamin E Gold are primarily from sunflower oil and the tocotrienols are from the red palm oil. We do not believe that there are any structural or quality differences between d-alpha tocopherol from sunflower oil or red palm oil, but if you are looking for vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol) primarily from red palm oil, our product would not meet that requirement.
  • The total mixed tocopherols per serving of Vitamin E Gold is 40 mg, which includes 30 mg of the d-alpha tocopherol. So, the remaining 10 mg would be the other three tocopherol isomers (beta, delta, and gamma).
  • The product contains both sunflower and red palm oil (Evnol Suprabio) ingredients and there is no molecular distillation to separate out either of the oils in the finished product. The red palm oil includes other nutrients that are naturally present in the finished product in trace amounts (e.g. plant squalenes, phytosterols)
  • Although we cannot provide the exact breakdown of the % of the different ingredients in the product, we can confirm that the amount of red palm oil per liquid capsule is consistent with the recommendations/requirements by Excel Vite, the company that makes/markets the Evnol Suprabio tocotrienol complex.

Last edited:
OP
B

BigChad

@Hans Would you be able to address the above when you get a chance.
Also, I wanted to ask you, since a lot of my thyroid issues started after taking huge weekly doses of iodine, do you think my thyroid issues will be reversed as time goes on and from limiting iodine intake. Or is even iodine induced hypothyroidism something more permanent once you have it. because the last time I took a large iodine dose was a 1mg pill back in mid april. after that, for the next couple months I got in 150mcg iodine a day from supplements alone on average. I noticed that was still continuing the hair loss, so it has only been in the last 3 weeks or so that I have totally cut out supplemental iodine. I probably get some from costco whole milk and grass fed beef/lamb and greek yogurt. I'm really hoping this can be fixed with continued limiting of supplemental iodine, and taking the fat soluble vitamins, my A and D intake were generally good but I never used or paid attention to E and K.

I dont use iodized salt and haven't used it for over 2 years, that was part of why I added in iodine supplements, but made the mistake of taking in huge doses of them like 1mg and 3mg potassium iodide. My hair is still pretty thin and my weight is still at 193 to 195. I jumped in weight from 175 to 192 in 6 weeks from the iodine. And the weight has still stayed there. I was thinking if the thyroid recovered back to normal my weight would also go back to what it was. But I'm not fully familiar with how iodine induced hypothyroidism works. I still have a lot of hypothyroid symptoms. Its not really getting worse but not getting better either.

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans Would you be able to address the above when you get a chance.
I'm sorry, what exactly did you want me to address? I didn't see that you asked any questions. :)

I believe everything in the body can recover over time. Maybe some red light on the thyroid can help. Also getting sun and sweating can help.

OP
B

BigChad

I'm sorry, what exactly did you want me to address? I didn't see that you asked any questions. :)

I believe everything in the body can recover over time. Maybe some red light on the thyroid can help. Also getting sun and sweating can help.

Thats good, ive seen things like thyroid and aspirin mentioned a lot, i dont know if i want to use those.

I wanted to get your thoughts on the life extension mix multivitamin. I was originally going to take 1 capsule a day, but ive lowered it to 1 capsule 2x a week. I think the b6, even though its a low dose, depletes my calcium and iron if i take it everyday.

Some of those nutrients are concerning, some are 5ar inhibitors or estrogenic. I was wondering if the doses would be small enough to where they wouldn't matter, with 1 cap instead of 12. The bigger concerns are the beta carotene, nac, green tea, lutein and lycopene. I've read some scary things about those. Lutein, lycopene and beta carotene all act similar to pufa.

On consumer labs i read that zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium and a few other things reduce absorption of carotenoids and carotenes like beta carotene, lutein, lycopene.
I would have this multivitamin along with a 200mg magnesium aspartate capsule plus some fat solubles, and after a meal including 13oz whole milk, 4oz ground lamb and 8oz greek yogurt.
Ive heard aspartate isnt the best, but i tried traacs glycinate and it messed with my sleep. I think it converts to glutamate for me. Aspartate doesnt seem anywhere near as stimulatory. I also did fine on it on zma. Malate is too acidic and irritated my stomach.

Life Extension Mix, 360 capsules | Life Extension

I also wanted to ask if you think chromium, manganese, molybdenum and iodine need to be supplemented? I get some iodine from meat and milk, but chromium, manganese and molybdenum i dont really get from diet. Idk if those are actually essential. The rda for manganese is 2.3mg yet we have 20mg manganese stored in the body. Manganese doesnt seem to be excreted much in sweat, so that rda value seems off if we only store 20mg in the body. Someone on here posted that manganese is estrogenic and molybdenum is inversely correlated with testosterone. I know manganese depletes iron and to a lesser extent copper, while molybdenum also depletes copper and is involved in breaking down sulfates.

Given the b vitamins in that lifeextension multi would I also benefit from taking 400mcg methylfolate once a week? Thats another b vitamin i dont get much of from diet

Hans

Forum Supporter
You ask all these questions about nutrient interactions, but are you asking in regards to big doses of supplements or the balanced amounts in food?
Why not rather rely on a good diet to get all your nutrients from? Your body will automatically absorb what it needs and excrete what it doesn't need.

Instead of spending a lot of money on supplements one can rather spend that money on good food which contains those nutrients in balance.

OP
B

BigChad

You ask all these questions about nutrient interactions, but are you asking in regards to big doses of supplements or the balanced amounts in food?
Why not rather rely on a good diet to get all your nutrients from? Your body will automatically absorb what it needs and excrete what it doesn't need.

Instead of spending a lot of money on supplements one can rather spend that money on good food which contains those nutrients in balance.

Mostly regarding supplements, but nor big doses of them.
B1, biotin, folate and b6 are some i dont get enough from diet. Also manganese, molybdenum and chromium. Im at 2000 calories a day, not very active, although when i lifted 3 days a week i still had 2000 daily cals plus one weekly cheat meal/day.
The food sources for several of those vitamins would require additional calories. For b1 and molybdenum in particular, those seem to come from wheat and bean products which i wanted to avoid irrespective of calories.
The life extension mix has a reasonable dose of the b vitamins, only thing is it also has things like lycopene, lutein, green tea extract, boron etc.

OP
B

BigChad

Also do you have any links or info regarding red light? Ill search it on the site as well. I havent looked into that

OP
B

BigChad

No, according to the research taurine doesn't increase prolactin, but you as an individual might react weird to it or its effects and get an increase in prolactin.
Olive leaf is anti-estrogenic so it's strange that you would bloat and lose hair on it.

is NAC or milk thistle worth taking temporarily to heal the liver.
I forgot to mention before but I took 25mg ferrous bisglycinate supplements for a couple weeks back in january. some of the days I even took 50mg iron via supplements. that caused a lot of issues. abdominal bloating, lots of fatigue etc. probably ****88 the liver from that, even though it was a couple weeks. Also was using a 250mg green tea extract 95% polyphenol concentration pill, 3x a week for a year.

I think taurine and olive leaf, both knock out a lot of toxins, and overload the liver if it already has slow function. I think that is why I have some of my issues, why taurine and olive leaf both seem to cause similar side effects, both seem to (at least temporarily) cause an increase in prolactin or estrogen due to overloading the liver with toxins, which since it can't clear out quickly, reduces the liver filtering out prolactin/estrogen. Basically it seems like if your liver function is slow, taurine and olive leaf and similar substances need to be taken more carefully, perhaps 2x a week to start off with until your condition slowly improves. Hypothyroidism in general slows down everything, reflexes, digestion, etc, maybe being hypothyroid in itself also slows down liver function.
think the milk thistle capsules I had are 120mg milk thistle plus other things its the enzymatic therapy brand milk thistle. Ill have to see maybe ill take that 3x a week for a couple weeks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals