Sex And Thyroid Hormones, Iodine, Cortisol, Low Libido

Douglas Ek

Once ferritin is sufficiently high, can the supplementation be stopped? Is high ferritin in itself enough to support the metabolic processes that maintain that level (given that no imbalance of other minerals is present)?

Ferritin takes quite a bit of time to fall low again. It could definitely happen if you don't consume enough iron, exercise a lot, drink a lot of coffee, take aspirin, take supplemental zinc. But I believe that once your ferritin is high you will absorb iron easier again from food just because your thyroid will improve so much and your stomach acid will also improve become stronger which is needed for iron absorption as well. But again don't take iron supplements unless you tested your ferritin and have clear that you could need some. I think men should aim for 150-200 as this is what I've seen optimal for thyroid and dopamine production but still low enough to not risk any dangers

Inhibition of food iron absorption by coffee. - PubMed - NCBI
Supplemental zinc lowers measures of iron status in young women with low iron reserves. - PubMed - NCBI

Douglas Ek

Once ferritin is sufficiently high, can the supplementation be stopped? Is high ferritin in itself enough to support the metabolic processes that maintain that level (given that no imbalance of other minerals is present)?

I personally believe taking mineral supplements can do more harm than good. The only one I take now from time to time is magnesium and then I tend to split a 300mg pill in half because I heard absorption is strong up to 100 something. Otherwise I rely on getting it from food and it's quite easy

Calcium from dairy
Iron, Zinc, Copper, Selenium from meat, liver, shellfish
potassium from orange juice and coconut water
iodine and sodium from iodized salt

the other like manganese and chromium you get enough by just eating your calories from these foods.

I eat nuts from time to time since they quite high in minerals but it's quite rare since the high PUFA content I also tend to choose nuts with the highest vitamin E and most MUFA like example Almonds.

If you gonna supplement stick to vitamins not minerals

Last edited:

Lurker

That's not true......
Have you had low iron and treated it?
I've had low ferritin stores and iron pills were the only thing that could raise it. I already ate tons of red meat and liver and my ferritin scores never improved. Some people just have a hard time absorbing iron. My girlfriend also had really low ferritin Doctor gave her a prescription iron tablet with 200mg of iron. after 1 week and she's like a new person. No more hair shedding, no cold hands, no fatigue, higher sex drive (I know this) and also her acne went away. Iron is totally needed and if you DONT have the hemochromatosis gene you really don't need to worry about overload. unless you take large amounts of iron for several months. And who would do that without checking their ferritin? I would never recommend anyone to start iron pills out of the blue. Because you do not know if you have hemochromatosis without checking your ferritin first. Normal healthy men tend to have a ferritin between 100-200. And women 70-150. Anything under 70 for both sexes is to low in my own opinion. I have seen lots of people going from under 70 to over 130 and everyone say they feel so much better. This coffee drinking with every red meat meal or taking aspirin (Lowers iron because of overall increased bleeding) is detrimental if you already have low ferritin.

Before I fixed my ferritin from 50 to 150 I had low thyroid and low-end testosterone. After getting my ferritin to 150 my thyroid went up. My whole body was warm all the time and my testosterone is now in the 900-1000 range. I can prove it all posting blood tests if you like.

What’s not true? That supplements can be dubious? My liver suggestion may not be the best way to increase iron levels but that doesn’t make it “untrue”. I’m glad you and your GF are feeling better after taking the iron supplements. Which brand and protocol did you use?

Personally I’ve been the other way with high ferritin (non-hemochromatosis) and only after seven blood draws has it come down in range. I’m to the point where I need to decide whether to continue to donate next week or just hold off for a while. So I appreciate your low iron experience and will take this under consideration.

Lurker

I personally believe taking mineral supplements can do more harm than good. The only one I take now from time to time is magnesium and then I tend to split a 300mg pill in half because I heard absorption is strong up to 100 something. Otherwise I rely on getting it from food and it's quite easy

Calcium from dairy
Iron, Zinc, Copper, Selenium from meat, liver, shellfish
potassium from orange juice and coconut water
iodine and sodium from iodized salt

the other like manganese and chromium you get enough by just eating your calories from these foods.

I eat nuts from time to time since they quite high in minerals but it's quite rare since the high PUFA content I also tend to choose nuts with the highest vitamin E and most MUFA like example Almonds.

If you gonna supplement stick to vitamins not minerals

Wait...what?!?! Do you think iron supplements are good or not?

Douglas Ek

What’s not true? That supplements can be dubious? My liver suggestion may not be the best way to increase iron levels but that doesn’t make it “untrue”. I’m glad you and your GF are feeling better after taking the iron supplements. Which brand and protocol did you use?

Personally I’ve been the other way with high ferritin (non-hemochromatosis) and only after seven blood draws has it come down in range. I’m to the point where I need to decide whether to continue to donate next week or just hold off for a while. So I appreciate your low iron experience and will take this under consideration.

Yes thank you, you checked you're ferritin first which is what I ultimately recommend. What were your levels now and then if I may ask? I was not in anyway trying to discredit you either

Douglas Ek

Wait...what?!?! Do you think iron supplements are good or not?

I believe taking minerals without knowing if you have a deficiency is bad and a common problem. Sure if you go test yourself and show you have low magnesium or zinc you should obviously try to fix that. But takin multi-vitamins and other minerals supplements without knowing I believe are dangerous. Another thing regarding multivitamins is that they usually contain 15mg of zinc and 0 copper and 0 iron. I understand the reason for this but people should understand that taking a multi-vitamin like that for a prolonged time will screw up your zinc, copper and iron ratio

Lurker

Yes thank you, you checked you're ferritin first which is what I ultimately recommend. What were your levels now and then if I may ask? I was not in anyway trying to discredit you either

Last check a couple weeks ago at 174 ferritin. Some people here recommended aiming for the low end around 50.

I believe taking minerals without knowing if you have a deficiency is bad and a common problem. Sure if you go test yourself and show you have low magnesium or zinc you should obviously try to fix that. But takin multi-vitamins and other minerals supplements without knowing I believe are dangerous. Another thing regarding multivitamins is that they usually contain 15mg of zinc and 0 copper and 0 iron. I understand the reason for this but people should understand that taking a multi-vitamin like that for a prolonged time will screw up your zinc, copper and iron ratio

Fair enough. Multi-vitamin can’t be good for anybody.

dbh25

Normal healthy men tend to have a ferritin between 100-200. And women 70-150.
My doctor recommended 100. You can definitely go too low. I supplemented liquid iron for a few months to get back into the 50s, and tried to increase through diet. But 6 months later, ferritin is still in the 50s.

Douglas Ek

My doctor recommended 100. You can definitely go too low. I supplemented liquid iron for a few months to get back into the 50s, and tried to increase through diet. But 6 months later, ferritin is still in the 50s.

Yes it can be very hard to get it up for some people. 100 is fine but Ive hear a lots of people feeling more energy and benefits from going up to 150. Specially for thyroid health. I feel fantastic now. Energy i havent had for years

Douglas Ek

Last check a couple weeks ago at 174 ferritin. Some people here recommended aiming for the low end around 50.

Fair enough. Multi-vitamin can’t be good for anybody.

I know some people here aim for 50. I dunno but i had 50 before and i felt so ***t. But what ever floats your boat as they say. I think between 100-200 is where you wanna be. You can alwayd supplement vitamin E from time to time to protect from any oxidation caused by iron. But i dont believe oxidation is a problem as long as you dont go over 200 or even maybe 300

dbh25

I may supplement iron again for a month since my ferritin hasn't moved. Iron overload is mentioned often, but I was too low for too long. And I can tell you, it was awful.

stsfut

Douglas Ek...Ferritin value is not always indicative of iron stores. It can be raised by inflamation. Testing ferritin along with CRP and a full iron panel gives you the full picture.

Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek...Ferritin value is not always indicative of iron stores. It can be raised by inflamation. Testing ferritin along with CRP and a full iron panel gives you the full picture.

Yes i did mention this earlier that inflammation can raise it. For sure its better to get full iron panel and an inflammation marker. But ferritin is the most reliable out of the iron markers. Ive probably done 15 ferritin tests and mine has never been elevated by inflammation or affected by any other factor

Frankdee20

I was in exactly same position as you couple of years ago. What i did to fix it was quit all supplements? Have you used high doses of zinc supps? That depletes ferritin stores which is actually needed for thyroid and thyroid is needed for testosterone. So could just be a case of low iron. I know it goes against ray peats view of iron. But testing and supplementing iron did the trick for me. Another thing you need to do is eat a lot. Eat carbs and fat. Before i go to bed sometimes i eat 6-8 eggs and **** loads of honey for fructose. All increase cholesterol a lot and man the morning wood i wake up with is insane. Dunno if its just me but really works everytime. The vitamin A, choline, sugar and cholesterol really great combo for thyroid and testosterone. Try it out

My testosterone was 114 couple of years ago. Last time i tested it was 980 and i seriously believe i would test higher now

In my opinion taking multis without testing is dumb since the minerals interfer with each other. Supplemental zinc ***** your copper and iron. And they are equally if not more important for your thyroid.

Saw your ferritin was 43. Mine was 50 and i felt just like you described. I took and raised it to 150 and i feel better than ever now. Do you have restless legs?

Wow ! You shot up from 100s to 900s ! How ?!

boxers

Ferritin of 50 is good...serum iron 125, tibc 250-300, sat %. 38

Last edited:

Douglas Ek

Not exercising too often. Eating nutrient dense foods with a focus on carbs and fat. Doing blood tests and correctin nutrient deficiencies. This helped me sleep better. My levels didnt shoot up. It took 2 years of changing my lifestyle. I was previously smoking, doing drugs and not eating enough for my body type. I was a skinny guy. On top of that i over exercised a lot. From me just quitting exercising for 3 months and eating more food it went from 114 to 650. Just eating foods like coconut oil, butter, white rice, potatoes, steaks, eggs, liver, fruits, honey, dairy. From time to time i take some vitamin A, vitamin K2, vita E and D. I dont take minerals except calcium and magnesium from time to time. Not regularly. I did take copper and iron because i was deficienct. I also take vitamin Bs. Its the only supplement i take regularly now. Still dont exercise. But i work 10-14 hours a day walking all day so dont think i need a lot of exercise on top of that. But yeah last time i tested my testosterone was 926 i believe and that was over the reference range with like a warning sign on the lab test. There was also an explanation how people get over the lab reference range and it basically said only with anabolic steroids thought that was a bit funny coz they proven wrong

Douglas Ek

But im 26 years old dunno if that probably makes a difference and like i said i was a skinny guy if youre a big bloke then my diet wouldnt probably help you have to adapt your lifestyle to whats optimal for you. Unfortunantly theres not a frame that fits all. Same goes for supolements. Some people cant just take zinc to raise their T. Its a balance and homeostasis. Thats why i always recommend doing as many lab tests as possible to find out as much as possible what might be your problem

baccheion

Not exercising too often. Eating nutrient dense foods with a focus on carbs and fat. Doing blood tests and correctin nutrient deficiencies. This helped me sleep better. My levels didnt shoot up. It took 2 years of changing my lifestyle. I was previously smoking, doing drugs and not eating enough for my body type. I was a skinny guy. On top of that i over exercised a lot. From me just quitting exercising for 3 months and eating more food it went from 114 to 650. Just eating foods like coconut oil, butter, white rice, potatoes, steaks, eggs, liver, fruits, honey, dairy. From time to time i take some vitamin A, vitamin K2, vita E and D. I dont take minerals except calcium and magnesium from time to time. Not regularly. I did take copper and iron because i was deficienct. I also take vitamin Bs. Its the only supplement i take regularly now. Still dont exercise. But i work 10-14 hours a day walking all day so dont think i need a lot of exercise on top of that. But yeah last time i tested my testosterone was 926 i believe and that was over the reference range with like a warning sign on the lab test. There was also an explanation how people get over the lab reference range and it basically said only with anabolic steroids thought that was a bit funny coz they proven wrong
Did the increase result in any physical changes? Bone size/structure? Muscle?

Douglas Ek

Did the increase result in any physical changes? Bone size/structure? Muscle?

Obviously a lot of mental benefits and energy. Im 26 and 24 i couldnt grow jack .... for a beard. Think i did have low testosterone all the way back from the age of 19. I would say thats when my health deteriorated at first place. Since fixing my testosterone ive managed to start growing a beard and chest hair just poping out new hairs all the time now. Also my muscles and shoulders have gotten bigger specially biceps without even lifting weights at all. I feel the strongest ive ever felt before. My posture is automatically better dunno about bone changes. Nothing ive thought of and nothing very noticeable. Oh and my testicles have almost doubled in size it feels like

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals