Finally Some Blood-work

AmishMechanic

Hey all!
So I finally got a new general practitioner who I think is savvy; Whatever that means.

As a woman, I who should be entering peri-menopause, or may be in it, my new doctor ordered a broad spectrum but general set of blood work to get us started.

Here is what came back as abnormal:

Total Cholesterol - ref (125-200 mg/dL) ~ 84
T3 Total - ref (76-181 ng/dL) ~ 64
Testosterone - ref (2-45 ng/dL) ~ 61

Here are some values that may or may not need to be adjusted for me:

T4 - ref (4.5-12 mcg/dL) ~ 8.5 ( I am taking 100mcg of synthroid)
TSH - ref ( 0.4-4.50 mlU/L) ~ 1.91
Progesterone - ref ( <1 - 21.5 ng/dL) ~ 18.7 ( I am taking Progest-E )
Estradiol - ref (19-357 pg/mL) ~ 202
FSH - ref (1.5 - 116.3 mlU/mL) ~ 8.1
LH - ref (0.5 - 76.3 mlU/mL) ~ 6.8
Vita-D - ref (30-100 ng/mL) ~ 33 ( I live in Florida)

My thoughts:

Since HDL is high normal and LDL is low normal high, Total Cholesterol is actually pretty good.?

T3 needs some work but it is only free T3. Could the test for free T3 also pick up reverse T3?

Testosterone kinda high? Is that a bad thing? I do lift three days a week. Does that matter? Maybe it's high because my husband is a hottie and I'm absorbing his through passive and not-so-passive contact....:shame:

T4 seems low with me supplementing with 100mcg per day.? Up the dose or go to something like Armour and get more T4 and T3? My body temps are good. My pulse and blood pressure is a bit slow and has been historically.

Progesterone. Seems like Progest E is working. Could/should we aim higher?

FSH/LH seems fine for a 49 year old woman.

Vitamin D ~ I need to lay out more? I rarely use sunscreen (tan easily). I live in Florida but will be mostly in Alaska starting late June.

Estradiol seems high to me.

For any of you who feel qualified, feel free to add any comments or concerns!

Happiness and great health!
Vickie

OP
AmishMechanic

AmishMechanic

So apparently, and not surprising, my new doctor is more concerned that I may have elevated testosterone because I am not telling her that I am taking testosterone.....

Yes, I am a horse veterinarian, and yes I am fit, but NO I am not "juicing". :hairpull

As a woman and a health care professional I know how bad that is for women and I have no reason to as I get muscular and strong pretty easily for a woman and always have.

When I ask about the low T3, she says "Well your TSH is normal so that is ok."
Insert cringe.

So, jeeze. How disappointing.

I am playing with the idea of backing off of my T4 and hoping that Progest-E helps me sort out the high testosterone level over time.?
Temps are good, pulses are good and I will monitor over time. I just wish I had more energy and could up my calories without getting fat.

Does this seem like a good idea?

meatbag

It seems like when people ask Peat about energy problems he frequently mentions Vitamin D

Last edited:
OP
AmishMechanic

AmishMechanic

I don;t know how long you've been taking the T4 but I think Peat has said that T4 causes the TSH to lower but also inhibits the glands own secretion. I think it has also been claimed that Total T4/T3 is more indicative than the free hormone tests. It seems like when people ask Peat about energy problems he frequently mentions Vitamin D as well

I've been taking T4 for years and vitamin D is good.

It could be PCOS, but I do not fit the mould on that one, but I can not completely rule it out. Progest-E should be able to help with PCOS or excess E2 low P4. Anyway, I think my primary issue is Liver conversion of T4 to T3. I have upped my fruit consumption and lowered my meat consumption and have gone back to getting 80-110g protein per day via skim milk and collagen.

I am just disappointed that my doctor is so dis-interested. Thanks for the reply. :)

x-ray peat

I am just disappointed that my doctor is so dis-interested. Thanks for the reply. :)
The brainwashing by the drug companies is too much to compete with. Also they can lose there license or be charged with malpractice if they go off script. Finding a doc that will look beyond the TSH is very close to impossible.

tallglass13

Hello Vicky,, Im curious about your head hair and body hair growth since you have high testosterone in serum. I'm guessing your head hair is strong since your progesterone serum is high. thanks

Giraffe

OP
AmishMechanic

AmishMechanic

The brainwashing by the drug companies is too much to compete with. Also they can lose there license or be charged with malpractice if they go off script. Finding a doc that will look beyond the TSH is very close to impossible.
Unfortunately, my colleagues in veterinary practice are in he same boat. When I had my small animal practice, I was one of the very few who requested anything other than TSH and total T4 in dogs. I fixed most dogs with thyroid issues with simple diet changes. It got boring and frankly difficult to make much of a living with; Fixing most dog and cat issues with food changes....

OP
AmishMechanic

AmishMechanic

Hello Vicky,, Im curious about your head hair and body hair growth since you have high testosterone in serum. I'm guessing your head hair is strong since your progesterone serum is high. thanks

Well, it WAS!

Last summer I accidentally overdosed on T4! I was sent 1mg tabs instead of 100mcg tabs, as dog doses are three times human doses and we rarely give 100mcg.... Me making excuses for the pharmacy... Well, I was traveling and just grabbed a handful of tabs without reading the label ( which I never do ), threw them in a baggie and jumped on a plane to our summer home in Alaska.

I lost ten pounds in a matter of weeks! Didn't feel bad until I was on it for over a month. 2 1/2 months later I figured pounding heart and jitters was not ok. Got home and almost fainted when I read the bottle....

Anyway, this past March most of my hair began to fall out. I'd say I lost about 75%. Looked like male pattern baldness. I figure it is rebound hair loss from the physiological stress of overdosing T4. Not to mention my cycles have been nuts since March as well. That seems to have smoothed out too. But yes, happily, my hair and nails are growing back quickly. Very quickly. Hmmmm......:emoji_thinking:

OP
AmishMechanic

AmishMechanic

Your cholesterol is too low by all standards. To consume more fruit and fruit juice might help to get cholesterol and T3 up.

You may want to search the posts by user Mittir.

Jesus. Total cholesterol was 219 ref 125-200 mg/dL. HDL was 84 mg?dL.
Sorry bout' that.