Beebop's Stories

kiran

Ray has mentioned that the thymus is converted to sugar in times of stress. Hence the "involution" of the thymus.

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Thanks Charlie, kiran. Wow, scary.
I just remembered this -

RP: The Great Fish Oil Experiment:
Cells of the thymus are sensitive to glucose deprivation, and even in the presence of glucose, cortisol prevents them from using glucose, causing them to take up fatty acids. The thymic cells die easily when exposed either to excess cortisol, or deficient glucose. The polyunsaturated fatty acids linoleate, arachidonate, and eicosapentaenoic, are especially toxic to thymic cells by preventing their inactivation of cortisol, increasing its action.

burtlancast

Beebop,
In case you try Ray but the therapy doesn't work, remember there's a fallback option in the Gerson therapy.
Just saying.

OP
Beebop

Beebop

From what I can tell I'm not interested in it, but thanks anyway.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

gretchen

Charlie said:
He meant as clear as day that it was physically eating it up. I think he also said it was doing the same to the pancreas, or maybe it was thymus. But I do remember for sure that thyroid was one of them.

Oh, the horror. :shock:

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Charcoal experience:
Two nights ago I took charcoal for the first time, (powder mixed in water). I drank about half a tablespoon.
I woke in the night absolutely starving, drenched in sweat, got up and ate. I was then drenched in sweat and starving again in the morning. Hungry to the point of tummy ache.

So it definitely pulled things out of my intestines! Not sure I enjoyed it though... :? :lol:

I've been using it for tooth whitening as well, and took a 'before' picture, so in a few months I will be able to tell if it did anything!

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Jenn said:
Sounds like your liver ran out of fuel detoxing with the charcoal. I hope you ate something when you woke up due to hunger.

Yes, definitely ran out of fuel. I did eat in the night.

Is this fuel-running-out a sign that the liver needs more time (weeks, months?) to restore itself, or was it just that I needed to eat more during the day before taking the charcoal (or both?).

Jenn

I would be careful to really take it away from food, because it is not discriminating in what it absorbs. I would also make sure you get a good snack in before going to bed, something with a balance of sugar with minerals, protein and saturated fat, if you can. Ice cream, gelatin broth with salt, jello etc.

Sometimes I just can't digest that much and I keep some juice with a pinch of salt by the bed.

4peatssake

Thank you Jenn and Beebop for your information and experience. I have charcoal waiting to be picked up at my postal outlet. So this is very timely for me!

I think my liver is in pretty rough shape.

And I have discovered that I want to eat mostly potatoes, milk and OJ, and coffee, gelatin, sugar, butter and salt. Last night I turned up my nose at filet mignon and only ate my potatoes. ;)

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Well, it is hard to take it away from food and have a snack before bed. I think I had a boiled egg and some hot chocolate about half an hour/twenty mins before taking the charcoal.

I'm going to stick with the carrot salad for a while! And try charcoal again when I feel... different?

Thanks Jenn and good luck 4peats - please report back on how you get on!

OP
Beebop

Beebop

I've been having an intense time.

For the past week I've been having unpleasant hyperthyroid symptoms. Waking several times a night - every two hours - needing to eat, with night sweats, palpitations, hyperventilation. Getting mild chest panic and leg tension.

This has all been during my luteal phase. Now that I'm into the next phase and my progesterone has dropped these hyper symptoms have subsided.

I need to adjust my dose. I dropped my dose of T4 once already this year in January following some similar (less intense) hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm nervous about this and hope I won't suddenly feel hypo again later. But the hyper symptoms are strong enough not to be able to ignore. My TSH is 0.1

I hope this means my thyroid is recovering and needing less T4. But it could be that I'm having a thyroid storm. How would I know the difference?

The good news is that my thyroid antibodies are much, much, much lower than when I was first tested (years ago) :D :D :D :dancenanner

In the midst of all this I don't know how to attempt to switch to using T3. :confused

4peatssake

Beebop said:
I've been having an intense time.

For the past week I've been having unpleasant hyperthyroid symptoms. Waking several times a night - every two hours - needing to eat, with night sweats, palpitations, hyperventilation. Getting mild chest panic and leg tension.

This has all been during my luteal phase. Now that I'm into the next phase and my progesterone has dropped these hyper symptoms have subsided.

I need to adjust my dose. I dropped my dose of T4 once already this year in January following some similar (less intense) hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm nervous about this and hope I won't suddenly feel hypo again later. But the hyper symptoms are strong enough not to be able to ignore. My TSH is 0.1

I hope this means my thyroid is recovering and needing less T4. But it could be that I'm having a thyroid storm. How would I know the difference?

The good news is that my thyroid antibodies are much, much, much lower than when I was first tested (years ago) :D :D :D :dancenanner

In the midst of all this I don't know how to attempt to switch to using T3. :confused

Beebop, if I were you, I would ask Ray Peat. You got a lot going on here and he would be the best to advise you I think.

This could all be indicating your thyroid is recovering and that is so exciting!! I hope so!!

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Yes I asked him first. You're right there is a lot going on and I do need the advice. He kindly replied, but it didn't really enlighten me, so I may email again.

4peatssake

Beebop said:
Yes I asked him first. You're right there is a lot going on and I do need the advice. He kindly replied, but it didn't really enlighten me, so I may email again.

Keep us posted!! Fingers crossed!! :D

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Well, I've been saving up some observations and experiences.

What I thought was too much thyroid medication/thyroid storm turned out... not to be. I asked Peat and he said it was probably endotoxin related. Based on what I experienced next I think he's probably right. I cut out potatoes and orange juice on a hunch, and managed to get some good night's sleep, but it didn't last. Since then I've been trying to work out what in particular causes problems for me. I reintroduced potato and orange juice (separately) and on those days I also had night sweats. This might still be a coincidence, and I'm going to try again at some point.

I'm annoyed/disappointed that potato and OJ seem to cause problems, as I want a wider diet, but I've never really liked potatoes or OJ that much, so no big surprise really! I don't think it's the starch in the potatoes, as white rice is fine, maybe it's solanin.
Apple juice seems to be fine with me. I don't understand why OJ should worsen endotoxin as it is supposed to help, but maybe I have a particular problem with oranges. Initially I thought it was just bad quality OJ, but then I tried organic freshly squeezed, strained, and had the same reaction.

Working these things out takes time, and that's probably as it should be. Next I'm going to reintroduce melon. Fingers crossed!

I also noticed that in fact, I was having low thyroid symptoms again, so I increased my dose. All well and good there, again, patience is key.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Beebop, I find I cannot handle over 2 cups of OJ a day. Anymore and it wrecks my sleep, have to get up to pee frequently, etc etc.

OP
Beebop

Beebop

What do you think it's about? I wondered if it could be a mineral imbalance, as I have noticed how much better I feel when I eat more salt, and OJ is potassium rich. I thought 'maybe it's a potassium/sodium imbalance', but I'm just guessing!!
Could too high potassium/too low sodium cause night sweats? These are my thoughts, I'll have to do some reading to find out how off the mark I am! :lol:

Nightime peeing isn't my problem anymore thankfully (used to be), that got solved when I increased salt and decreased water intake.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am not sure. But I find the more coconut oil I have the more OJ I can tolerate. Weird huh? :lol:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals