• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

High TSH, Normal T4

boxjack

Hello all,

I wonder if any of you have opinions about this. Any suggestions or references are welcomed.

- Short story: After months of Peat eating (no thyroid supplements yet), I have high TSH (5.66 mU/L) but "normal" free T4 (17.2 pmol/L).

- Long story: I'm a male of 26, I have suffered from low energy and insomnia all my life (other frequent symptoms: brain fog, acne, poor coordination, stress). It appears like I have textbook symptoms of hypothyroidism, but what is unusual is that I've had them so early in life, as far as I can remember. I tried to cure myself, did some bad experiments: a few years of SSRI medication for insomnia (which worked in putting me asleep, but made me very drowsy during the day), and Paleo diet for a year.

A few months ago, I read Peat's articles and followed his diet strictly. Within days I noticed more energy, a body volume increase (mainly muscles) and a libido level comparable if not higher than that of my teens. However, I still suffer from energy problems and feel considerably more tired than a healthy person.

My pulse looks normal (around 80) but my oral temperature is low - I almost never ever hit 86.6 during the day, I'm usually at 97.7. I did a blood test this week with only TSH, free T4 and antibodies: my TSH is very high (5.66 mU/L) but my T4 seems in the normal range (17.2 pmol/L) and so is my thyroid peroxidase antibodies (<35 IU/mL, normal range: < 60 IU/mL). Before I did the Peat diet, I had a blood test indicating a TSH of 3.6 - I am surprised that the TSH increased on the Peat diet because I feel better now, although I still have low temperature and major energy problems.

I plan to start supplementing on cynomel/cynoplus.

J

j.

For what is worth, 3 months after Peating my TSH was:

6 months after Peating it was:

The second trimester of Peating I increased milk intake substantially and I think that helped. I followed the diet without taking any supplements.

I'm about your age.

J

j.

My numbers are reversed. Lower TSH than you (1.7) but my free T4 is close to being considered hypothyroid (but with another unit of measurement). I think we just need to follow the strategy and things will improve.

boxjack

j. said:
My numbers are reversed. Lower TSH than you (1.7) but my free T4 is close to being considered hypothyroid (but with another unit of measurement). I think we just need to follow the strategy and things will improve.

It looks like thyroid supplements may be necessary, at least in my case: on a strict Peat diet, even if I megadose on sugar my temperature will stay very low (97.7).

J

j.

boxjack said:
j. said:

It looks like thyroid supplements may be necessary, at least in my case: on a strict Peat diet, even if I megadose on sugar my temperature will stay very low (97.7).

yeah, I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't supplement. it might benefit me too, but I chose the other way. however, don't underestimate what PUFAs reduction can do for you in many months, because it seems to me you've only been Peating for a short time, correct me if I'm wrong.

boxjack

j. said:
boxjack said:
j. said:

yeah, I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't supplement. it might benefit me too, but I chose the other way. however, don't underestimate what PUFAs reduction can do for you in many months, because it seems to me you've only been Peating for a short time, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I recall reading that it can take years to fix on the Peat diet while waiting to eliminate stored PUFAs. I am slim and have almost no visible body fat (but since on the Peat diet gained a more athletic figure) - does that mean I probably have less PUFA stored, or is that unrelated to body fat mass?

J

j.

boxjack said:
I am slim and have almost no visible body fat (but since on the Peat diet gained a more athletic figure) - does that mean I probably have less PUFA stored, or is that unrelated to body fat mass?

don't know. i wondered about that too. also, how long have you been peating?

boxjack

j. said:
boxjack said:
I am slim and have almost no visible body fat (but since on the Peat diet gained a more athletic figure) - does that mean I probably have less PUFA stored, or is that unrelated to body fat mass?

don't know. i wondered about that too. also, how long have you been peating?

3 months (but no thyroid supplements)