Mary Lyn's Log

Mary Lyn

I trace my thyroid problems back to early infancy, (born 1950) when I was admitted into hospital with 'Pinks Disease' aka mercury poisoning, as a result of the 50% mercury, teething powders which were later taken off the market. Many babies died and the rest who were affected, gained lifelong problems, the worst being for a year or so afterwards.

These babies were a nightmare for their mothers to look after as they cried inconsolably, and in hospital, was in the days when the neurological/psychological damage due to lack of handling was unheard of. So there is a lot of that type of damage included in my lot.

At around 6 I remember that I was too cold to get to sleep at night in my bed. I also have no memories at all of ever feeling well. At 9ish I was having a dental procedure involved nitrous oxide and had to be resuscitated by the dentist. I have since heard that this occurs when B12 levels plummit due to the anesthesia.

Moving swiftly past a blur of a childhood, with severe concentration and anxiety problems, with many infections including tonsillitis and pulmonary ones, I found that I was incapable of putting in a full days work without having to spend and inordinate amount of time recovering on bed. I had headaches, chemical sensitivity and an increasing degree of insomnia. There was some playing with liquid mercury and some amalgams, 2 remaining but I think it would be too risky to remove them now.

On to the age of 40 and a severe chronic exposure to carbamate pesticide in the spraying of an infested new house by housing authorities, followed by chronic exposure lasting 3 years, which promoted me to a much worse level of health, with vomiting accompanied by blackouts, severe allergy response in skin and to all medications and chemicals, and much much worse fatigue.

Slowly improved using dietary means and reducing chemical exposures in environment, but this worsened again when I foolishly moved into a brand new house without thinking because I had not put down the original exposure as the result of my reaction (I thought it was due to the stress of the move itself).

A macrobiotic diet saved my life when I was bedbound and I slowly became more resilient to chemicals. I was seriously ill though. I began to research and try things to help.

Although I don't like them as a breed, having had the mistaken diagnosis of CFS, and refuse to be medicated, I consulted with a GP who ran a full blood count and found I had high thyroid antibodies (1,000) though normal TSH (about 1) and he said my estrogen was also high. I did not have the savvy though at that time to do much apart from eat a whole food vegetarian diet.

Then one day I suddenly became worse again and suspect I contracted Lyme Disease from walks in a wood. The diagnosis did not come till much later. No treatment.

Again later I tried the autoimmune paleo diet for 18 months and saw some improvement with no more sleep apnea, interstitial cystitis, dry eyes, but later began to have gall bladder attacks which ended on one occasion with acute pancreatitis though I did not dare go to hospital with the chemical problems, increased insulin sensitivity and sugar cravings.

Next I went on the plant based, whole food SOS diet and felt much happier, lost sugar cravings, lost weight, was able to eat fruit again without spiking BG too much, but again ran into problems later. I began to slow down with weight loss to 1 lb a month, felt cold and tired, losing hair, and so I found Peat.

HbA1c has been falling from 7.1 on plant based and is now 5.5. Cholesterol is 8.1 and has been climbing the last few years. I am refusing statins.

My early morning temp is around 35-36 with the lowest being 34.6. Pulse 60-68. The mushrooms did not seem to do much but I eat carrot salad. Weight started to go up so went from whole milk to semi skimmed and now skimmed. Have cut out cheese, drink orange juice,. Eating white fish, prawn and oysters, some potatoes, eggs, legumes, vegetables and fruit mainly grapes, whole coconut and oranges Caffeine is very bad for my adrenals so I am drinking organic caffeine free coffee, water extraction.

I have had to stop bone broth as it keeps me awake and restless. Great lakes gelatine is to be tested as I am not sure. My sleep is very poor atm. Hair loss has slowed down but skin is dry. Pain and stiffness in some joints has got worse.

I take selenium 100 mg on no fish days. K2 7 600 mcg, biotin 25 mg, pantothenic acid 400 mg, sulbutiamine 500 mcg and magnesium

My latest thyroid tests are:

TSH 1.52 (0.27 – 4.2 mlU/L) Last test in January was around 1 which is my normal.

Free T3 3.8 (3.1-6.8 pmol/L)

Free T4 14.9 (12-22 pmol/L)

Thyrogobulin 205 <115

Thyroid Perox. 84.2 <34

I did try Nature Throid for a while but had to change to T3 and stop because my adrenals could not cope with it even at a very small dose.

My main problem at the moment is getting enough protein as I cannot use gelatin and I have ordered some whey.

Any comments are very welcome.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to have them removed by a holistic dentist as they can do safe removal. Here's a link to find one https://iaomt.org/for-patients/search/ In my non professional opinion, I am afraid you won't get better until you detoxify from mercury and you have to have all amalgam fillings removed first.

OP
M

Mary Lyn

My suggestion would be to have them removed by a holistic dentist as they can do safe removal. Here's a link to find one https://iaomt.org/for-patients/search/ In my non professional opinion, I am afraid you won't get better until you detoxify from mercury and you have to have all amalgam fillings removed first.

Thanks I have ben thinking of it for years and did a lot of research. I found people like me with ME who were made a lot worse by removal some never recovering.

I certainly understand your concern! Another option, you may not have considered, is getting the mercury filled tooth pulled and putting in a ceramic implant or a bridge. This would be safer than them drilling out the mercury. Best wishes to you and I am so sorry you have been through so much!

OP
M

Mary Lyn

@Doublecapricorn

Thank you for your interest and kind words.

I have considered doing that in the past and had quite forgotten about it. The back wisdom tooth has a very large amalgam in place and a molar has a small one, so having an extraction might possibly boost my health enough to later have a drilling.

I think l will look I this again. If l can improve doing some peating and have the summer first perhaps. Thank you.

OP
M

Mary Lyn

It is becoming clear that I have inherited vascular Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and I am awaiting scanning for this and to see a genetisist to confirm it. It would explain a lot of my issues, the painful neck, insomnia etc and both my mother and her brother's sudden death with aortic aneurism.

Apparently I will be helped by an operation on my craniocervical joint from one of the three surgeons in the world who are competent to do it, after an upright MRI for diagnosis for ciari malformation/ craniocervical instability.

I just wonder what I can eat to strengthen my veins?

D

danishispsychic

I would agree with getting the amalgams out. I had all my removed and at the time, not even by a qualified dentist. ( yikes ) . I am very glad I did it as it really seemed to change up my thinking, memory, brain function. After the amalgam metal removing - I am taking iodine off and on in the form of IO Iodine by Pure Horizon. It also has selenium and B2 mix in it and is a small tablet. Also , I have done a a lot of colon cleaning , coffee enemas etc but that is not an ongoing thing. For me, I am speculating that the heavy metals were creating a fungal condition in me as well and creating emotional issues. Since you are going to a geneticist, I would check to see if you have MTHFR mutations. I also had seizures when I had my wisdom teeth out and they game me nitrous oxide. From what I have read, people with this mutation have probs with n.o. Thank you for sharing your story. It is super interesting to me. Collagen/ Gelatin really helps my joints and you might want to think about Cayenne and Serrapeptase for vascular health.

OP
M

Mary Lyn

@danishispsychic

Wow you were lucky, not being made much worse with removal by unsafe means. Pleased for you. I agree that mercury/heavy metals increase candida overgrowth and know I have that. There is no doubt I am full of mercury but having that wisdom tooth pulled, makes me worry about what it could do to my cervical problems if there is too much yanking. I am certain now that I need to get it out but think I will wait till I have had an MRI scan to see what I have got exactly and then can ask advice from EDS experts about the right way to do it. Maybe it needs to be cut out rather than pulled.

Yes I am MTHFR from my 23andMe results.

Interesting how NO affected you. I do wish I could take gelatin without the excitory affects on my brain and thanks for your tip about Cayenne and Serrapeptase for vascular health . I do worry about what my new diet is doing. Iodine is terrible for me and I wonder whether eating milk is bad for me as it contains iodine from the cow teat washing. It stimulates my immune system so makes my thyroid worse.

D

danishispsychic

not sure if you have even tried taking food grade Diatomaceous earth- of course i cannot prove it detoxed me from metals, but i continue to take it with coconut oil in my coffee or whatever ( hot liquids ) and it really helped me, gut wise, hormone wise, candida wise.

OP
M

Mary Lyn

Sorry I missed the last post from you @danishispsychic

I have tried DE in the past and it did not seem to do anything then I read a warning about it. May look into it again.

I have had to quit dairy 2 days ago as I am sleeping badly and I seem to be a bit better. Also caffeine free swiss water coffee. Last night I ran some frequencies for sleep on my device - spooky2.

Momentum

Sorry I missed the last post from you @danishispsychic

I have tried DE in the past and it did not seem to do anything then I read a warning about it. May look into it again.
@Mary Lyn I found your post because I was searching for sulbutiamine. I see you and I have very similar symptoms- I don't have vascular EDS, but suspect hEDS.
I'm not sure where you are at in your journey, but high quality MSM has greatly improved my vein health in the past. I mean, incredibly improved. It took 2 teaspoons a day for about a year, but it was impressive. I used to use Evolution Health brand, but I couldn't take the taste any longer. I was putting it in capsules, but that got tedious. I tried precapsuled brands and my veins reverted. I'm now on Gold Standard (?) a gold bag, and I think it's probably the best and I can easily mask the taste.
This being said I also see that you have an MTHFR mutation - do you know which ones? Sulbutiamine contains methyl.
I don't know if I have any of the MTHFR mutations, but I haven't had any trouble with MSM. At least three things can be a problem with MSM.
1. Methylation problems
2. Low moly-b (MSM and moly-b use up each other)
3. Iodine - I've mega dosed iodine for over a decade. Somewhere, recently I saw something about iodine helping with methylation. I can't find it now :-(

I also had my amalgams removed by a regular, but careful dentist without further problems. I was very fragile at the time. But I'm pretty sure I was already loaded on iodine.

I've read the concerns of heavy metals in DE, but I think it's worth taking in low daily doses. I guess I'm in the camp that it cleans up more than it contributes.

And then there's the same argument with zeolite.

OP
M

Mary Lyn

@Mary Lyn I found your post because I was searching for sulbutiamine. I see you and I have very similar symptoms- I don't have vascular EDS, but suspect hEDS.
I'm not sure where you are at in your journey, but high quality MSM has greatly improved my vein health in the past. I mean, incredibly improved. It took 2 teaspoons a day for about a year, but it was impressive. I used to use Evolution Health brand, but I couldn't take the taste any longer. I was putting it in capsules, but that got tedious. I tried precapsuled brands and my veins reverted. I'm now on Gold Standard (?) a gold bag, and I think it's probably the best and I can easily mask the taste.
This being said I also see that you have an MTHFR mutation - do you know which ones? Sulbutiamine contains methyl.
I don't know if I have any of the MTHFR mutations, but I haven't had any trouble with MSM. At least three things can be a problem with MSM.
1. Methylation problems
2. Low moly-b (MSM and moly-b use up each other)
3. Iodine - I've mega dosed iodine for over a decade. Somewhere, recently I saw something about iodine helping with methylation. I can't find it now :-(

I also had my amalgams removed by a regular, but careful dentist without further problems. I was very fragile at the time. But I'm pretty sure I was already loaded on iodine.

I've read the concerns of heavy metals in DE, but I think it's worth taking in low daily doses. I guess I'm in the camp that it cleans up more than it contributes.

And then there's the same argument with zeolite.

Hi thanks I tried it but it did not help probably the methyl. as I have MTHFR. Would be interested to hear about your amalgam removal.

Momentum

Not much to say. I had probably over 10 amalgams removed over two years. But I think I was already taking 100mg of iodine daily. I don't remember exact details, but I do remember that it wasn't a big deal FOR ME.

I trusted my dentist, more than some of the crazy bio-dentists. My dentist never gave me issues about me refusing fluride and he was very good. He used a rubber dam, continuous suction, and an oxygen mask. I really do think I was lucky that I didn't get worse. The iodine I'm sure helped and I'm sure I was doing other binders at the time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom