Heart Pounding Palpitations From Thyroid Supplement Log

narouz

Thanks, Charlie. :partydance

It would seem like a pretty promising theory.
When you think about it,
hypothyroidism is the most likely explanation for your symptoms.
And the only thing that has stood in the way
of your giving yourself thyroid supplement therapy
is your fear of the hard heart pounding.
It wasn't like you had any other signs that the thyroid wasn't doing exactly what it should.

And when you've tried to analyze what that HHP means,
it seems like you've found that it does not reveal high blood pressure or high heart rate.
And you say it doesn't feel like and arhythmia.
So...that makes me feel like there's probably not much to be scared of
(though I completely understand how anything weird feeling with your heart would be scary).
I guess it's one of those things that
if you take it apart and look at it,
then maybe it will be less fear-laden.

Maybe you are sortuv suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome
with regard to your thyroid blowout/overdose some months ago--
so you are understandably skittish after that episode!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Aaaaaaah, my normal heart beat is returning. :10 :grouphug2

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Normal heart beat meaning, my pounding heart has returned.

Taking a little under 1/2 of a thiroyd pill a day.

narouz

Charlie said:
Normal heart beat meaning, my pounding heart has returned.

Taking a little under 1/2 of a thiroyd pill a day.

Charlie-
How much T4 & T3 does that amount to, with the Thiroyd?
And how are you handling the "normal" :) heart beating?
Still scary, or...?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I dont know how much T4 and T3 is in those pills. They are definitely potent though.

Handling it fine. Welcoming it. Sleep has drastically improved. Energy improving. Mind improving. Hard heart beat for the win!

Not scary at all.

And Dr John is right, there is a ton of vibration going on. That's the "nervous heartbeat" I was trying to explain earlier in the thread.

Are you taking Vitamin D3 , by any chance?

I think I cracked the source of my palpitations... magnesium deficiency from high D3 supplementation.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I just started taking vitamin D. The palpitations were happening before that.

J

j.

I don't know if there is any truth to it, but I just found this:

Do you react with anxiety and heart palpitations when you take thyroid medication?
The most common explanation for this an underlying problem with adrenal insufficiency (cortisol and DHEA deficiency). Correct the adrenal problem, and then you should be able to tolerate thyroid medication.

Link

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think, Ray Peat doesn't buy into the adrenal sufficiency stuff.

Peato Diet

Charlie said:
The pounding has returned.

I’ve just switched from a low carb version of the GAPS diet to the 'Ray Peat' diet which in comparison is very high in sugar. I have a post here:

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1308

Because I switched diets practically overnight I have definitely noticed changes, one of which is I now sometimes get palpitations, sweating etc as if there is increased adrenalin or something. It’s possible that my body needs time to adjust to this diet so I am prepared to give it a couple of months however at the moment its feels like a bit of a rollercoaster. If things don’t improve I will be going back to something like GAPS perhaps with more fruit, or something like 'The perfect health diet' (Paul Jaminet) which is basically paleo but with some 'safe' starches thrown in, as my whole body feels more 'stable' when i eat foods like that.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The pounding in my case is actually a regular heart beat. It seems like pounding because I am not use to a regular heart beat. My heart has been barely beating all my life.

Birdie

Just came by to see how you were doing Charlie. Good to hear about your heartbeat! I wonder what you are doing thyroid wise these days. I've gotten back some blood results that show my rT3 crept up a bit so I'm using some T3 again and trying to eat fruit every 2 or 3 hours. That should do it. I'm not in the danger zone at all but I like to keep the rT3 down even within the safe zone... How about you? Did you ever run into a conversion problem? :D

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks for checking in on me Birdie! :D

I am up to 2 grains of Thiroyd from Thailand. Steady improvements with everything all around. As for RT3, I have a doctor who is unwilling to work with me with thyroid supplementing. So getting tests beyond TSH is out of the question. I am basically going at it alone right now, and just watching temps, pulse, and symptoms for my best guide as to when to raise or lower thyroid supplement.

I do not think I am having a conversion problem though. Maybe I will push my doctor again and see if I can get an RT3 test but I am pretty sure thats not gonna happen. :( I have pretty much given up on the medical profession at this point.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Thanks for checking in on me Birdie! :D

I am up to 2 grains of Thiroyd from Thailand. Steady improvements with everything all around. As for RT3, I have a doctor who is unwilling to work with me with thyroid supplementing. So getting tests beyond TSH is out of the question. I am basically going at it alone right now, and just watching temps, pulse, and symptoms for my best guide as to when to raise or lower thyroid supplement.

I do not think I am having a conversion problem though. Maybe I will push my doctor again and see if I can get an RT3 test but I am pretty sure thats not gonna happen. :( I have pretty much given up on the medical profession at this point.

I know what you mean about giving up on the medical profession/sickcare industry. I am dealing with a new PA right now who is shocked that I consider myself in charge of my own health. For years, I went to a ARNP who worked with me. She left the office last year and we miss her.
This new fellow is doing his best but has the standard views on testing and diagnosis. Since my ARNP had done the rT3 for me, he did keep that in my blood lab list.

I have some of the Thiroyd but am still using my Armour for now. No special reason other than it's adequate. I'm just using one in the morning and then, using T3 bits during the day. I was up to 3 1/2 Armours in the winter. I think there's 9mg of T3 in each with a 1:4 ratio of T3:T4. I think Thiroyd is about the same? Don't feel like checking just now. I've been on thyroid for about 17 years. For a long time I didn't need to use T3 alone and did just fine.

My health started downhill after I got surgery on my leg veins about 2 years ago. Then, I had a flareup of my CFS. I didn't find Ray's interpretations of medical research until 9 months post surgery. I think with his views I'd not have done that surgery, but TG I did start reading his stuff. Very controversial but as I evaluate it, I see he is spot on.

Where I am is that my blood labs show anemia. I don't want to go into it much, but Ray has opened my eyes to see that iron (Fe) supplement, while it works to raise RBCs, is a toxin. Other toxins would raise the RBCs too. (And my RBCs are fine anyway.) So, I won't be falling for the Fe supp approach. As far as what I will do, I need more protein for one thing. I've been saying this for months and it's time to change that. :)

I am SO glad you are marching along with the Thiroyd. And being watchful with the dose. I know that's hard for you to hold back and go slow! So, good work. Thanks for answering my query. If I'm away, just know I have work to do!! You take care and thank you so much for having this forum.

Kray

Charlie said:
It's been exactly 2 days from when the hard beating heart stopped. Pretty much when I wrote Ray Peat right after that it stopped. :lol:

Starting back up thyroid today, 1/16th of a pill, twice a day, of the nutri-meds porcine pills.

Noticed that my energy has been less that last few days. And, weird thing, soon as I the hard heart beat stopped, I had 2 terrible nights of sleep. Not sure if it's connected.

Charlie,

I assume you never went back to the Nutri-Meds, right? Are you still taking Thiroyd? I have tried something similar to Nutri-Meds which is an OTC raw thyroid glandular, but I am scared to try an Rx. How did you decide to switch to Rx, and do you think I'm wasting my time doing something like Nutri-Meds?

Thanks-

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I found Thiroyd and never looked back. You don't see any people going around bragging about how good Nutri-meds is. However, you constantly see many people that say Thiroyd works, period.

Kray

Charlie said:
I found Thiroyd and never looked back. You don't see any people going around bragging about how good Nutri-meds is. However, you constantly see many people that say Thiroyd works, period.

Can you suggest a starting dose? Did you have your labs to guide you, or just your own stats such as pulse, temps, etc. Were yours really low? Mine have been lower this winter; my waking temp is anywhere from 97.7-98.0. It can go lower during the day, especially before bed, when it is often in range of 97.5-97.7. Waking pulse is average 72-76. During day ranges from 72-80. Would you think I might need to supplement thyroid? Or, should I wait to see if warmer days might boost my readings? As silly as this sounds, I am considering trying the Rx thyroid because my skin dermatitis has not improved trying other things, and I have read skin issues can be a sign of low thyroid. But, I'm really not sure if this is a compelling enough reason to begin experimenting if my temps/pulse don't warrant it. Help appreciated!

Kray

classicallady said:
Charlie said:

Can you suggest a starting dose? Did you have your labs to guide you, or just your own stats such as pulse, temps, etc. Were yours really low? Mine have been lower this winter; my waking temp is anywhere from 97.7-98.0. It can go lower during the day, especially before bed, when it is often in range of 97.5-97.7. Waking pulse is average 72-76. During day ranges from 72-80. Would you think I might need to supplement thyroid? Or, should I wait to see if warmer days might boost my readings? As silly as this sounds, I am considering trying the Rx thyroid because my skin dermatitis has not improved trying other things, and I have read skin issues can be a sign of low thyroid. But, I'm really not sure if this is a compelling enough reason to begin experimenting if my temps/pulse don't warrant it. Help appreciated!

Hey Charlie,

When you're on, would you mind giving me your :2cents to my questions?

Thanks,
C-lady

j_davis

Hi Charlie,

I've been on Cynomel t3 and also balancing it out with some synthetic t4 I bought in China and BOTH of these together or separately give me scary heart palpitations.

I also get palpitations from niacinamide, coffee, aspirin, - everything that is meant to boost my metabolism.

I just want to know, should we be worried about these palpitations, they're not normal, my heart shouldn't surely be pounding this hard- and we sound like we're in a minority here.

It would be good to hear the latest on your thoughts on HP.

I recieved my thiroyd today from pimpom and that caused palpitations too.

I think I'm just learning to live with it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals