Kat's Log

Gigs

[ moderator edit: post moved from Pregnenolone & DHEA Replenishment Dosage ]

Me again! Is there someone who can help me move forward?

I really am excited by feeling that the Ray Peat take on nutrition alone has helped me so much already in such a short time, but there's some bumps in my road.

After my little "run-ins" with the Pregnenolone (see above), I found that using Progesterone cream (Source Naturals twice a day) seemed to be causing me bad symptoms - including multiple hot flashes during the day and night (like i was going thru menopause all over again - instead of 10 years ago), jaw tension, full body feeling like a kind of "high pitched" tension, in the trunk, like a constant moderate adrenaline rush, like butterflies that don't end all over..some frequent "air hunger", fatigue (that droppy eyed feeling though you're functioning but could close your eyes where you stand) and feelings of muscle weakness.

I stop using Progesterone cream and those symptoms fade for the most part (still experiencing some flashes tho they are shorter and milder.) I should say that I was using a bio Bi-Est for a while but have, over the past year lowered it and gradually stopped altogether. (Which also started some hot flashing to return) Reading the Peat info has confirmed I was right to stop (Though at the time i started on it, it was to help with the awful numerous, sopping wet hot flashes and vaginal dryness and it did! or seemed to...)

Should I assume that I just need to go much higher with the Progesterone? That I've released some Estrogen by messing with Pregnenolone and its playing havoc so I need to smack that E down? (have just ordered Progest-E, in the hopes that a solution to this might include Progest-E since it is undoubtedly a superior product to the one I have been using for some time)

Am new to the Peating way - but have been applying the Peat dieting principles in the past several weeks with some success (I have not had temps that broke into 98 this often before since i tarted to take it regularly - Its kind of amazing how quickly I was able to see it read 98-something at all only after a few weeks of this - it floored me to see that happening. At times pulse now measures in the 70's - whereas before I would only see in the mid/late-50's - which to my amazement never fazes my current Dr. - a Naturopath with a Thyroid bent, btw. (He only kind of smirks and says I am either very athletic or hypo - I kid you not (so funny I forgot to laugh) Am looking for a new practitioner - I live in LA...anyone? Current ND has also never once wanted to look at other hormones even though he knew i was using Bi-Est and Progesterone cream when i began seeing him)

I still have periods during the day where my hands and toes feel really cold. Am still trying to fall asleep often when I need to at night. (Am ordering Asiprin and Glycerine and should I add Lysine daily?) I am ALL for eating ice-cream before bed & its so yummy that even the sarcasm of my partner at the sight of me gobbling it cannot deter me :p (Since one of my goals is to raise my metabolism so that I can hopefully get to drop some belly fat, he's convinced I've gone off the deep end....not that I'm especially overweight, but at this age the creeping weight gain is horrifying for someone who's never carried this much body fat before - looking at YOU muffin top! & well, I can't afford new pants)

Have recently added 100 mg Niacinamide x 3/day. Some vitamin E - every other day or so. I use (& love) Great Lakes Hydrolyzed Gelatin often (in coffee, in OJ, and whatever I can mix it in really to make sure I'm getting good protein earlier in the day as I imagine my liver needs the help). Non-fat organic milk/OJ non-pulp, not from concentrate, love Mango, love melon, grapes (tropical fruits in general) (I was born in Australia in a semi-tropical dairy/sugar cane/tropical fruit region - so this all feels like coming home!) LOVE coffee, love honey, LOVE salt, love ice-cream (& often make my own - is it ok if i use full cream as well as low fat milk in it? I know the emphasis is on a lower fat in the diet, but have read that some sat fat before bed is good...confused about that one), use butter but not too much/Coconut Oil (try to get a TBspn/day), cottage cheese and other cheeses for snacks with fruit, homemade apple sauce, carrots for snacks and the RP salad, non fatty white fish (Wild Rockfish), prawns, oysters when possible, way less chicken, grass fed meat when I can, liver when I can, when not eating liver, I use a liquid Vitamin A (is this one ok? Seeking Health's palmitate 5000IU/drop & using 2-3 a day presently), D3 5,00oIU, Vit K2 (100/day presently...) L-Theanine in coffee, some Biotin 5000 mcg lozenge (when is best to take that?), B6?, well cooked potatoes, made my first Eggshell Powder the other day & batch of Magnesium water as well. (tho not sure how well I can keep up that kind of thing - time permitting) Oh, am going to start with bag breathing! Am a good nose breather already so I'm sure I'll enjoy that :bag:

I used to be low carber kind of Paleo-er but added more rice and sweet potatoes later on and couldn't understand why piles of supplements weren't helping. :rolleyes: I can't tell you what a relief it is to be able to drink coffee and eat more yummy foods. Ice cream, ftw! Have since realized how adrenaline & cortisol & no doubt low blood sugar have played a big part in keeping me feeling rotten. Though the only 24 hr cortisol test I've had recently showed only slightly lower & low normal in the range over the day.

Will keep reading and hopefully learning.

I appreciate the info about Allopregnenolone. Its a bit more science-y than I know what to do with...I tried to follow it through to something actionable, but failed I'm afraid. All I could do was stop using Progesterone. But I don't want to stop using Progesterone. I believe in Progesterone!

Should the following be another thread? its all connected right? and i sometimes don't know what to tackle first...
I've so long thought my issues were straight up to do with being Hypo. Am on T4 75 mcg. When my issues began I was on a lowish T4/T3 combo. (with granted, MUCH stress; too low carb, probably too low calories to boot, too much weight training, dog died , travel, work, family...kind of a 6 month "perfect storm") Next Dr put me on straight T3 and quickly raised it to 100 mcg. Over the course of a year I suffered greatly and and started to literally beg him to lower it because it felt like he was killing me. (One Yelp review of their clinic told of a heart event and the resulting lifetime heart meds of one woman they treated this way) I left him when I still felt AWFUL and my Labs showed very high cholesterol and high cortisol (blood) and he started to lecture me about my diet (he thought it should be lower carb & made me feel like I was lying to him - when at the time, it really probably couldn't have been lower carb...) He pretty much refused to investigate my situation further (just wanted to upsell me on the in-house supplement line) since the protocol at this clinic was (nationally) famously "T3 will save you". And that's what I keep hearing still though I've had the opposite experience. (When first got labs there, I should add that my RT3 result was not an issue..?!)

I'd love to not be using T4 only actually, but haven't found anyone to help me understand why T3 in anything (including a short time on Armour) makes me feel like s**t. and gives me HyPER-like nastiness with full blown hysterical crying, up all night etc etc. Any ideas on approaching an understanding on that would be appreciated. Perhaps my new diet is going to help me change that?

(I've had 2 bouts with "Anemia" in the past - first one 15 years ago now - if that means anything? Current ND when it happened again fairly recently, tried to put me on Iron pills, but I instinctively didn't come at them - I used Dessicated Liver pills along with Lactoferrin instead and he was satisfied next Lab result...)

Sorry for the ramblings. Its all connected of course. "Everybody" says T4 is not the way but it was the only way I got any sleep at all after 2 years using anything with T3.

Any thoughts?
1. Progesterone reaction?
2. How to get off T4 only without feeling I'm having a stroke every night?

I appreciate the knowledge and experience I'm reading here. I can't absorb it & read it all fast enough. & often I don't have the depth of understanding to put it together.

gratefully,
Kat

docall18

Kat, sorry for if i was being flippant. Read through your post.

The bad reaction you are getting from t3 appears to be an adrenaline reaction. Hypothyroid people often have very high adrenaline and t3 which should lower adrenalin sometimes doesn't if your body is stuck in that state.

What I have found excellent for high adrenaline is P5p b6.

OP
Gigs

Gigs

That was your flippant, was it?

btw, I've seen some responses on here to new people that maintained they couldn't help because of lack of context.

I have some B6. 25 mg lozenge - should I ask you what you think I should do with it?

Last edited:
OP
Gigs

Gigs

thanks anyway bros

tara

Hi Kat,
Just a thought about progesterone. I've read that progesterone creams can result in unpredictable rate of release into the blood stream. Peat says that progesterone dissolved in vit-E can be absorbed very quickly if rubbed on the gums. This probably has the advantages that 1. you have a better chance to identify the effects of a dose quite quickly (eg 10 minutes or so) and 2. if you stop taking it, it doesn't keep releasing into your system for weeks or months after you stop. I would expect these differences to make it easier to experiment to see what works for you.

tara

Just saw your post on the other thread saying you are using progest-e.

M

marikay

Hi Kat,
Just a thought about progesterone. I've read that progesterone creams can result in unpredictable rate of release into the blood stream. Peat says that progesterone dissolved in vit-E can be absorbed very quickly if rubbed on the gums. This probably has the advantages that 1. you have a better chance to identify the effects of a dose quite quickly (eg 10 minutes or so) and 2. if you stop taking it, it doesn't keep releasing into your system for weeks or months after you stop. I would expect these differences to make it easier to experiment to see what works for you.

+1

OP
Gigs

Gigs

Hey Tara; thanks for your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

I've since been able to restart using Progest-e quite successfully and find it very quickly effective for flashes especially.
Since I posted the novel above and had no real help, I've moved forward myself and have learned much about how to at least attempt to squash massive stress hormones (i think its adrenalin and I have to assume cortisol I'm battling).

Am now starting to use the Blue Sky Peptide T3 since my Homeopath Dr refused to prescribe T3 at all - his reaction was violently opposed to it since he believes I can't handle it due to "adrenal fatigue". I believe, however, that my body is screaming for useable T3 (in spite of the Labs! which make me look relatively "well") and that's a big part of the reason I'm suffering from constant adrenaline surging through me day and night...

Am now looking again at Pregnenolone and wondering if my very bad reaction to it was because it was too small a dose...am still not wanting to go through the same thing again just yet, so will keep reading...

Anyhow, onwards.

OP
Gigs

Gigs

Oh also have realised that maybe excess estrogen is playing a part. (I used to use a Bi-Est cream and stopped last year) Progest-e to the rescue again I'd say. Vitamin e (under the tongue in coconut oil) Taurine is starting to help. P5P has been a lifesaver - but effects don't last & I worry I'm taking too much (I split a 25mg lozenge in 4 and take sometimes all of them in half a day..)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom