Cody's Log

Peat's_Girl

HAHA!

Until I realised someone names Giraffe was talking to you, I thought you're the one dropping acid!

Or maybe that it was some sort of American slang I was not aware of.

Yeah, Giraffe.
Right on, Panda.

OP
J

javacody

Shh. The lion won't stop licking me and the peacock is drinking my milk.

OP
J

javacody

OK.

I haven't posted in a while.

I had a hiccup.

Massive, paralyzing fatigue. Barely able to function. Brain not working. No energy.

Stopped taking niacinamide and vitamin E and I feel better than ever!

Also, I'm not taking collagen in the morning anymore. It seems to make me spacy and unable to concentrate.

I also added in DHEA 5 mg 3 times per day.

I've been having monster cravings for spaghetti lately. So I buy organic italian spaghetti noodles and organic tomato sauce in a jar and have at it. I've had spaghetti 5 times in the past week. I want it again right now as I type this.

I've also added brewers yeast into the mix. 1 TB morning and night in OJ. I put 1 drop of methylene blue in this mix as well.

Today, I'm experiencing mental energy and clarity of thought like I haven't had in quite some time. It feels wonderful.

Things are slowly but surely starting to improve.

Still drinking lots of milk and OJ, still eating lots of dried fruit. Eating cheese like it's going out of style. And also mashed potatoes and potatoes fried in coconut oil. And liver twice in the past 3 days, along with eggs. Maybe that's why my brain is humming along on all 12 cylinders this morning?

Peata

Cody, that's great that you are taking things at your own pace, experimenting, and not listening to nay-sayers. Your love of food is fun to read about too. Because of your picture, I hear everything you write in an "Ahnold" voice. KUTGW.

OP
J

javacody

Peata said:
Cody, that's great that you are taking things at your own pace, experimenting, and not listening to nay-sayers. Your love of food is fun to read about too. Because of your picture, I hear everything you write in an "Ahnold" voice. KUTGW.

Thanks for the encouragement Peata!

The need to be perfect keeps us from doing what we can to improve. Even the tiniest step forward is still progress.

My cravings are getting better. I rarely eat fast food or pizza anymore.

Heck, I had a cheese sandwich and dates for my lunch today. I crave cheese sandwiches a lot now. And dates are nature's perfect candy!

Maybe eventually, I'll crave just the cheese and the fruit and no bread. Who knows?

In the mean time, I have less gray hair, my mental energy is improving, improved libido, etc.

And I felt like exercising last week for the first time on months.

So when these teenage boys post their criticism having no clue about who I am, what I've been through, and where I'm at, I pretty much smack 'em down and watch them retreat with their tails between their legs.

They don't know a tenth of what they think they know.

I heard from Ray today about vitamin E and a skin problem I have (thick, wax like sebum in my upper arm skin pores) and he recommended I try it topically:

Ray Peat said:
Because of the changes in vitamin E manufacturing methods in recent years, I don’t recommend using large doses orally. Rubbing it into your skin on those areas might reduce the local sebum thickening.

Giraffe

Hi Cody,

I tested higher doses of vitamin E for a couple of days. Don't know if the vitamin was the culprit, but I felt like crap, so I stopped it. Now I prefer to use it topically (after having read your conversation with Haidut in another thread).

Have you ever tried pasta made of corn and rice?

OP
J

javacody

Giraffe said:
Hi Cody,

I tested higher doses of vitamin E for a couple of days. Don't know if the vitamin was the culprit, but I felt like crap, so I stopped it. Now I prefer to use it topically (after having read your conversation with Haidut in another thread).

Have you ever tried pasta made of corn and rice?

I have. It's not bad. But I'm on a bit of a budget and gluten free products are pricey.

I can get organic wheat for 20 cents more than the cheapest box of conventional. And I don't notice any immediate issues from it.

I know it's not optimal, but I'm OK with it for now.

I'll likely get to a point rapidly where the craving is gone anyway. I no longer crave pizza.

Giraffe

Cody, how long have you taken niacinamide? A couple of people here reported improved sleep, and I am planning to give it a try. What was your experience? Why did you stop it? You wrote, that it helped you, didn't you?

OP
J

javacody

I thought it did. But it was one of the things I stopped taking when my fatigue worsened, about two weeks ago. I threw it away. It was 500 mg Vitamin Shoppe Brand.

I'm getting my B vitamins from liver and brewer's yeast now.

I may try it again at some point in the future. It may have just been the Vitamin Shoppe stuff that was causing me issues. Or it may have just been the Vitamin E.

But I've noticed that vitamin B supplements in general cause me issues.

OP
J

javacody

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

I was just brushing my teeth. I've upped my Thorne's K2 MK4 to an entire dropperful at night. My teeth are getting whiter!

tara

javacody said:
I thought it did. But it was one of the things I stopped taking when my fatigue worsened, about two weeks ago. I threw it away. It was 500 mg Vitamin Shoppe Brand.
Some of us have trouble with large doses of niacinamide, possibly because it helps burn through sugar faster. Peat recommends 50-100mg doses, a few times a day. I have ~100mg twice a day. If you try it again, you could split the 500mg.

OP
J

javacody

tara said:
javacody said:
Some of us have trouble with large doses of niacinamide, possibly because it helps burn through sugar faster. Peat recommends 50-100mg doses, a few times a day. I have ~100mg twice a day. If you try it again, you could split the 500mg.

That's what I was thinking as well.

OP
J

javacody

Peat's_Girl said:
Codeh! I thought you and TBigP eloped after a Pearl Jam concert! ;D

I guess I'm just not over you yet. The heart wants what it wants.

OP
J

javacody

Diet is about the same as it ever was.

Energy and libido are a little better. Skin is awful. Thinking about trying Progesterone. I've been out of collagen for a while. I'll pick up some knox gelatin tonight at the store. Maybe that will help...

I cold brewed coffee for the first time last night. I made it really strong. It came out very thick and dark. I don't think I'll make coffee any other way.

This song is dedicated to my P_G. May your humor ever be sick and your bosom ever soft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peat's_Girl

Aww, I can't escape your compliments and song dedications anywhere I go! I guess I'll have to flirt with you here as well. ;P

Err... I can't recommend that men take progesterone. So I don't know if such an already perfect dude needs any hormonal enhancements. ('Sides, how high do you want your libido to be? Am I not enough? ;P)
But in seriously, Jen and I take it as a counter measure for complex and ongoing female hormonal imbalances and most women, especially men, don't need to go there. Not to mention it's just a miserable roller coaster anyway. I don't wanna be taking it either. And I won't be. It's a temporary measure as I don't want to be using hormones at such a young age and with relative health (I mean no hysterectomy or something drastic).

I think my BF took a small dose to see how it affects him and he just fell asleep...

Wait, never mind that. Everything makes him fall asleep. ;D

Maybe your girl can try it, and you can try it once to see what it does (in like a super small amount that is infrequent!).

I feel ya. I've never had nice skin while Peating and it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me just yet.
It has improved dramatically though! So from being covered in it, especially along my jawline, so I know it was hormonal, it went to infrequent, small pimples that heal much faster (a day or two).

I don't know what causes skin issues in your case, but for most of us coming off low-carb it's a crappy sugar metabolism. What have you been eating exactly? Maybe logging it in again would help?
Let's see... I reduced my fruit to things I crave, so occasional watermelon, cherries and mangos. I don't have much of it, and most of my fruit is from organic juice with canned peaches and pears being a new addition. So I barely break even with 150g of carbs, but the more adjusted I become the more juice and fruit I crave. So, I guess, don't force it too quickly like I did and keep the fat high.

I stopped consuming added white sugar and even honey so all my sugar is the Peat gold standard -fruit and milk. Maybe that was a factor as well. I also don't drink much milk anymore. A cup tops. I use it in food and just eat cheese and ice cream, mascrapone, butter, etc.

Hope this is decent advice, I'm giving you. ;D

Oh I also stopped coffee for a while because I wanted to reduce that adrenaline-y feeling and thought my liver is not doing its job with coffee. But nothing good came out of it so I might add it back in!

Since Jen introduced me to cold brewing I can't have it any other way! It's so creamy and sweet and convinient to have in the morning without boiling water, grinding the beans and using the coffee press! I love it. I also use cold brewing to make iced tea but that one isn't amazing and just okay. ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals