Jzeno Log: Recording Diet And Results

Runenight201

I suspect there to be feedback sensors within the mouth and throat that immediately signal to the rest of the body how to respond to the type of food ingested. I’ve never looked into this, but even when we think about food sensation, reward, and dopamine, it’d make sense that what the mouth perceives signals the body to respond in a certain way. Perhaps the physical properties of the beef itself send signals from the mouth to the rest of the body to begin increasing temperature for metabolic preparation of the beef nutrition.

However you mention the response to come a few minutes after the first bite, so it probably is when the fat is digested and converted into energy. I know that when a meal sits heavy in my stomach, I’ll be cold and slowly warm up as the food continues to be digested over the course of the hour.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Update

Diet Changes
screencapture-cronometer-2019-02-04-12_00_05.png

Will continue with Update with more information and updates/changes as they happen

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Update

Somewhat of a major minor update

Diet Changes
  • Coffee: About 3 6 oz cups per day
  • Aspirin: 3 325 tablets per meal and 2 tablets just before bed (11 tablets total)
  • Milk: At least 16 oz of Lactose-free 1% milk
  • OJ: Two servings of about 16 oz
  • Otherwise, no changes
screencapture-cronometer-2019-02-14-12_06_55.png

Per this thread ([Discussion] Raising Body Temperature) Page 2, Posts #31 through #58, at the suggestion of others I decided to try upping my aspirin amount from 81 mg per day to several tablets per day and have had good results. See that thread for more information. As a result, I've made changes to my diet to include more aspirin on a daily basis. Right now, I'm taking about 11 tablets throughout a 24-hour period.

I was suffering from temperature issues (cold feed, low core temperature throughout the day, cold ankles, cold hands) and bumping up my aspirin intake helped me tremendously. I do recommend safely titrating upward doses of aspirin if you are experiencing a low body temperature. I can't be sure if it will work for others, but it is a relatively safe and easy experiment you can do at home. Most aspirin bottles will say 12 tablets per 24-hour period is safe, too, so that should put anyone's mind at ease who isn't completely sure like I was. I thought aspirin was much more dangerous then it actually is.

Before upping my aspirin dosage, my temperature upon rising would be 97.7 F. I would use showers in the morning and evening and hot food throughout the day to artificially bump up my temperature but that isn't always practical and wouldn't provide a permanent and practical solution.

Since upping my aspirin dosage, my rising temperature is 98.3 F, which is a huge improvement. My body stays much warmer throughout the day and very rarely do I feel my ankles or feet get cold and it's improving daily. I highly recommend experimenting with aspirin to raise the body's metabolism. It is relatively safe and for me it was and is still effective as of writing this.

At the suggestion of others I have some more supplements, C60, Magnesium, and Vitamin E, on the way and hopefully those will add to the results I've gotten so far.

Before I committed to adjusting my diet according to Ray Peat's research I was terribly cold all the time and could not handle it anymore. Even if I were to stop here, which I do not plan on doing, I would consider this a tremendous success as of yet. I feel good and I feel younger and am getting more restful sleep. Symptoms like indigestion and SIBO-like symptoms are gone, too. Bowel movements are very regular and very soft and natural and not uncomfortable.

The things which I've done have been: adding aspirin, Vitamin K, Vitamin E and D to my diet, adjusting my diet to remove almost all PUFAs, and incorporating food that is nutritious and accessible and that is not allergenic to me. That's pretty much it.

I plan on continuing to experiment here and there to see if I can get better results, but I expect to eventually run into diminishing returns and then just maintain my health at that point so as not to spend my time any more than is practical. I still think there is a lot of practical things I can do to achieve better health--tweaking of the diet (I would like to add bone broth and vegetable broths in but I can't stand cooking right now), health practices (exercise, sauna visits, red light bathing, infrared mats are some I have in mind), and messing around with the more complicated supplements (pregnenolone, progesterone, T3, T4), things which I know very little about relative to vitamins to be honest.

My goal in all of this was to simply raise my terribly low feeling body temperature. Arguably my temperature might have been labeled 'fine' by professionals at 97.7 F, but I constantly felt freezing and I finally decided something must be done or I will hate life. I stumbled upon Ray Peat (for the second time in my life) after I was furiously searching on the Internet after I ate some coconut oil and my body suddenly felt warm. I stumbled upon this article (http://butterbeliever.com/how-i-raised-my-body-temperature-by-a-full-degree-in-less-than-a-week/) and then from there discovered Danny Roddy, Ray Peat and Matt Stone (who promotes a similar idea--eating to raise the body's metabolism). After reading that article, I decided to commit to experimenting with foods suggested by Ray Peat and my current diet is a result of that research and some practical compromises, such as eating bread several times per day, something which Ray Peat doesn't suggest strongly but I just can't get by without having some sort of starch and natural sourdough is a practical compromise in today's modern world in my opinion.

I would say that my decision to experiment has been completely successful and even if I don't always stick to a strict low-PUFA diet of 5 g of PUFAs or less per day I think I will continue things like consuming Coffee, Vitamin K, regular beef liver, a healthy dose of calcium from cheese and milk, a healthy serving of OJ for vitamin C and minerals, and aspirin daily and generally trying to avoid PUFAs on a daily basis--almost all of which I almost never did before learning about Ray Peat. Before studying Ray's research: I thought aspirin was a dangerous drug, I thought coffee was bad for you, I thought PUFAs were good for health (I would take flaxseed oil by the tablespoon), I didn't think a daily serving of calcium from milk and cheese was important for health and I did not think orange juice was good for me. All of that has changed since deciding to apply some of the conclusions in Ray Peat's research and some of the other wisdom gathered from people who also

I remember--the first time I discovered Ray Peat's thinking, years ago--thinking that Ray Peat and his ideas were the nuttiest of the nutty. Coming from a vegan, vegetarian, keto, paleo, raw-paleo lifestyle, I thought, "Eggs, OJ, and milk has to be the worst sounding diet of anything I had heard yet. No way in h*ll am I going that far. That sounds f***ing terrible and miserable." Look at me now. I guess I've been converted. But, with good reason. All those other diets just seemed to miss something and weren't sustainable in the long run, unlike my current food and supplement choices.

So I just wanted to take a moment and share some of my experiences and thoughts at this somewhat of a milestone for me. I consider this a successful attempt at raising my body temperature and I will continue implementing the new information which I have learned since making an honest attempt at incorporating some of Ray Peat's conclusions about food and supplements (listed above) and I plan on continuing to experiment with new ideas based on Ray Peat's research on some of the ideas researched and promoted in this community that are practical for me to implement and don't require too much of a compromise based on my other priorities and responsibilities in life. We all have goals for our lives and being healthy for the sake of being healthy is absolutely boring and a waste of time (in my opinion).

Also, per this thread (Teeth Appearance (White, Healthy, Etc.)) Page 2, Post #36 through #43 I have been using turmeric successfully to gently reduce some of the yellow stains on my teeth. I will continue to post an update on that thread with pictures in one week from the start date to document the changes for everyone else to see. I thought I should add that here since I am using this thread to document successes and experiments.

Thank you for reading and thank you to those who contribute as well. In particular, I want to thank @Runenight201 for reading my posts and providing constructive contributions and feedback.

All the best.

Will continue with Update with more information and updates/changes as they happen

Last edited:

Runenight201

Update

Somewhat of a major minor update

Diet Changes
  • Coffee: About 3 6 oz cups per day
  • Aspirin: 3 325 tablets per meal and 2 tablets just before bed (11 tablets total)
  • Milk: At least 16 oz of Lactose-free 1% milk
  • OJ: Two servings of about 16 oz
  • Otherwise, no changes
View attachment 12205

Per this thread ([Discussion] Raising Body Temperature) Page 2, Posts #31 through #58, at the suggestion of others I decided to try upping my aspirin amount from 81 mg per day to several tablets per day and have had good results. See that thread for more information. As a result, I've made changes to my diet to include more aspirin on a daily basis. Right now, I'm taking about 11 tablets throughout a 24-hour period.

I was suffering from temperature issues (cold feed, low core temperature throughout the day, cold ankles, cold hands) and bumping up my aspirin intake helped me tremendously. I do recommend safely titrating upward doses of aspirin if you are experiencing a low body temperature. I can't be sure if it will work for others, but it is a relatively safe and easy experiment you can do at home. Most aspirin bottles will say 12 tablets per 24-hour period is safe, too, so that should put anyone's mind at ease who isn't completely sure like I was. I thought aspirin was much more dangerous then it actually is.

Before upping my aspirin dosage, my temperature upon rising would be 97.7 F. I would use showers in the morning and evening and hot food throughout the day to artificially bump up my temperature but that isn't always practical and wouldn't provide a permanent and practical solution.

Since upping my aspirin dosage, my rising temperature is 98.3 F, which is a huge improvement. My body stays much warmer throughout the day and very rarely do I feel my ankles or feet get cold and it's improving daily. I highly recommend experimenting with aspirin to raise the body's metabolism. It is relatively safe and for me it was and is still effective as of writing this.

At the suggestion of others I have some more supplements, C60, Magnesium, and Vitamin E, on the way and hopefully those will add to the results I've gotten so far.

Before I committed to adjusting my diet according to Ray Peat's research I was terribly cold all the time and could not handle it anymore. Even if I were to stop here, which I do not plan on doing, I would consider this a tremendous success as of yet. I feel good and I feel younger and am getting more restful sleep. Symptoms like indigestion and SIBO-like symptoms are gone, too. Bowel movements are very regular and very soft and natural and not uncomfortable.

The things which I've done have been: adding aspirin, Vitamin K, Vitamin E and D to my diet, adjusting my diet to remove almost all PUFAs, and incorporating food that is nutritious and accessible and that is not allergenic to me. That's pretty much it.

I plan on continuing to experiment here and there to see if I can get better results, but I expect to eventually run into diminishing returns and then just maintain my health at that point so as not to spend my time any more than is practical. I still think there is a lot of practical things I can do to achieve better health--tweaking of the diet (I would like to add bone broth and vegetable broths in but I can't stand cooking right now), health practices (exercise, sauna visits, red light bathing, infrared mats are some I have in mind), and messing around with the more complicated supplements (pregnenolone, progesterone, T3, T4), things which I know very little about relative to vitamins to be honest.

My goal in all of this was to simply raise my terribly low feeling body temperature. Arguably my temperature might have been labeled 'fine' by professionals at 97.7 F, but I constantly felt freezing and I finally decided something must be done or I will hate life. I stumbled upon Ray Peat (for the second time in my life) after I was furiously searching on the Internet after I ate some coconut oil and my body suddenly felt warm. I stumbled upon this article (http://butterbeliever.com/how-i-raised-my-body-temperature-by-a-full-degree-in-less-than-a-week/) and then from there discovered Danny Roddy, Ray Peat and Matt Stone (who promotes a similar idea--eating to raise the body's metabolism). After reading that article, I decided to commit to experimenting with foods suggested by Ray Peat and my current diet is a result of that research and some practical compromises, such as eating bread several times per day, something which Ray Peat doesn't suggest strongly but I just can't get by without having some sort of starch and natural sourdough is a practical compromise in today's modern world in my opinion.

I would say that my decision to experiment has been completely successful and even if I don't always stick to a strict low-PUFA diet of 5 g of PUFAs or less per day I think I will continue things like consuming Coffee, Vitamin K, regular beef liver, a healthy dose of calcium from cheese and milk, a healthy serving of OJ for vitamin C and minerals, and aspirin daily and generally trying to avoid PUFAs on a daily basis--almost all of which I almost never did before learning about Ray Peat. Before studying Ray's research: I thought aspirin was a dangerous drug, I thought coffee was bad for you, I thought PUFAs were good for health (I would take flaxseed oil by the tablespoon), I didn't think a daily serving of calcium from milk and cheese was important for health and I did not think orange juice was good for me. All of that has changed since deciding to apply some of the conclusions in Ray Peat's research and some of the other wisdom gathered from people who also

I remember--the first time I discovered Ray Peat's thinking, years ago--thinking that Ray Peat and his ideas were the nuttiest of the nutty. Coming from a vegan, vegetarian, keto, paleo, raw-paleo lifestyle, I thought, "Eggs, OJ, and milk has to be the worst sounding diet of anything I had heard yet. No way in h*ll am I going that far. That sounds f***ing terrible and miserable." Look at me now. I guess I've been converted. But, with good reason. All those other diets just seemed to miss something and weren't sustainable in the long run, unlike my current food and supplement choices.

So I just wanted to take a moment and share some of my experiences and thoughts at this somewhat of a milestone for me. I consider this a successful attempt at raising my body temperature and I will continue implementing the new information which I have learned since making an honest attempt at incorporating some of Ray Peat's conclusions about food and supplements (listed above) and I plan on continuing to experiment with new ideas based on Ray Peat's research on some of the ideas researched and promoted in this community that are practical for me to implement and don't require too much of a compromise based on my other priorities and responsibilities in life. We all have goals for our lives and being healthy for the sake of being healthy is absolutely boring and a waste of time (in my opinion).

Also, per this thread (Teeth Appearance (White, Healthy, Etc.)) Page 2, Post #36 through #43 I have been using turmeric successfully to gently reduce some of the yellow stains on my teeth. I will continue to post an update on that thread with pictures in one week from the start date to document the changes for everyone else to see. I thought I should add that here since I am using this thread to document successes and experiments.

Thank you for reading and thank you to those who contribute as well. In particular, I want to thank @Runenight201 for reading my posts and providing constructive contributions and feedback.

All the best.

I love logs the most, especially when they chronicle a successful, rational approach towards better health. Ive always drawn a lot of inspiration and tried many things from the logs of other people.

I agree with the diminishing returns sentiment. With health, I think it’s fundamental for everyone to get to a point where they are sleeping well, energetic, and feel great, with no common ailments and complaints. Once there, the emphasis should be switched to other higher needs, such as work, hobbies, relationships, etc, which will all blossom on top of the base of good health. There are people who are trying to live forever or obsessed with optimizing brain function and other nonsense. Imo the point of good health is to live joyfully and have the energy to love, create, and be a promoter of good.

Congrats on solving your problem relatively quickly and being able to move on. Many people aren’t quite as capable, and spend months if not years trying to reach that panacea of good health.

Cheers

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Update

Supplement Update
I'm not sure why but after taking the CoQ10, I felt a warm flush throughout my feet and ankles (like blood was rushing into those areas) and it's been over 12 hours since then and I haven't experience cold hands or feet since. This is pretty amazing. I may have just found the final piece to the cold feet/ankles puzzle. My plan is to basically ride this out and once I begin to feel cold again, I'll try popping another CoQ10 and see if it creates the same effect. Or, let's say it takes more than several days, I may just take one after 5 days and if the sensation of cold feet/ankles does not return, then I'll know that the supplement does have something to do with what I'm experiencing and its' not just a fluke.

Supplement I have: https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best...ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1550509205&sr=8-3

It also has black pepper extract, so that may or may not be influencing my experience, too. I may buy a different brand after I come close to running out of this one--without black pepper extract--and see if there's any difference.

The good news is that I have definitively experienced a remission of symptoms in my feet, hands, and ankles and I am extremely grateful for that.

Until my next update I'll be involved in this short experiment and will report back once I have some news to share.

This is the only update I have to share at the moment. All other things have remained the same as they were before.

All the best.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Update

Diet Changes
  • Upping Dates to about 10 Dates per day
  • Adding in 1 well boiled and skinned potato per day
Supplement Changes
  • Added my Magnesium supplement I've been experimenting with for the past day to make it official
  • Added Niacinimide supplement to make it official
    • I don't take this daily because the dose is 500 mg, so I put .25 for the dose of 1 500 mg tablet
  • Added CoQ10 supplement to make it official
screencapture-cronometer-2019-02-18-11_22_50.png

So, why add the potato and up the dates?

I noticed two things. First: I recently took some charcoal in the evening and it wasn't until about two days later that I saw it show up in my stool, which seemed a little bit slow to me. The next day after I took the charcoal: it didn't show up in my bowel movement. The second day after I took the charcoal: it began to show up, but only a small amount. It wasn't until the third day (or roughly two days after taking the charcoal) that it fully showed up in my bowel movement. So that was observation #1: My bowel movements seemed to be taking a bit longer than I had been able to achieve previously in my life.

Second: I noticed that I was having 1 bowel movement per day regularly in the morning after breakfast and sometimes I would have to force it out just a bit (nothing serious) and I would notice that the front of the bowel seemed more compacted (molded into the shape of the inside of my colon), whereas the later half of the bowel (the part that spent the least amount of time before being evacuated was soft and smooth without lines and I wouldn't have another bowel movement after that. I've also been capable of having multiple bowel movements per day in the past and it's something I personally prefer, to be honest. I feel better evacuating food more regularly than once per day and there seems to be a lot of evidence suggesting that more frequent bowel movements of twice to three times per day is better for health, all things being equal.

Here's a thread in which Ray Peat is quoted regarding the research into African tribes that spurred the introduction of fiber into Western diets in order to promote a healthy bowel. The food these tribes were eating to achieve 3 bowels per day were well cooked potatoes:

RP Email Advice Comment: Safe Fiber

If you look at the amount of fiber per day from my previous Diet Update (Jzeno Log: Recording Diet And Results) you will see that I had about 50% of the RDI of fiber, which seems to imply that the lack of fiber was having an impact on the frequency of my bowels. If you do the math: 1 day passes, 50% of fiber; a second day passes. 50% of fiber and then finally I will have enough fiber to have a bowel movement--two days after the first serving of food was ingested, which also agrees with what I was seeing with respect to the amount of time it was taking for my body to pass charcoal when I took it and waited to see it show up in my stool.

So, I have decided to introduce 1 large well cooked (boiled) and skinned potato per day and up the Dates to about 10 in order to achieve near 100% of the RDI of Fiber and observe the results.

My main objective is to simply increase fiber for the sake of increase the frequency of bowel movements. If I can achieve that, I think this will be a success and I will continue to consume potatoes as regularly as I can.

I chose potatoes because they are chalked full of Fiber and Ray has a lot to see about them as far as being very nutritious and full of protein, too.

All the best.

I will continue with Update with more information and updates/changes as they happen

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Quick update

Have some exciting updates to share. I'm going to test them out a bit before I share them all. The good news is I'm feeling better than I was before. I'll definitely share everything so others will have the opportunity to adopt what they want.

Will continue in next Update with more information and updates/changes as they happen