P_G Doesn't Know What She's Doing, But She Sure Is Trying!

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
theres almost nothing better than letting your eyes breath to a beautiful landscape...long distance, while comfortable. Really gets the spirit awake also

don't mean to get off topic, but...im beginning to think a lot of why people cant seem to think in a higher level in our society...why people tend to not have any spirit anymore..many people, is that their eyes never really breath properly. Ive been noticing recently when im in a place of a pure panoramic long view of something beautiful like that...it just is very healing, and soothing, and everything from forehead to torso and lungs totally relax. I think in a big way the eyes being tense actually causes tension throughout the body. Being indoors or only looking through tinted windows ..or at fences and stuff, really is a big problem!
I tend to be a very quiet observer and love to look out at everything around me. It's just the way I've always been. I often get pegged as shy or a daydreamer, but it's really just me taking everything in. To see a beautiful landscape is definitely soothing and for me, freeing, but there's also something to be said for shutting our eyes.

When I'd finally reach a summit with my group, while everyone else would be chatting and pointing out other mountains in the distance, I would instantly go to the highest point clear of any trees or other obstructions and I would sit and close my eyes and feel nothing but space around me. It was as if I was breathing for the first time. And if I sat there long enough, I actually felt airborne. Then I'd open my eyes and see this panoramic view and though I'm not a religious person, I liken it to looking through God's window. The amazing feeling is when I'd be hit with the realization that this little body got me up there. Sometimes when I'm struggling, I forget what me and my body are capable of so I try to imagine myself back on the perfect summit. Actually, now that I think of it, I have my eyes closed in my avatar photo. LOL

I'm posting as many beautiful New Hampshire White Mountain shots as I can in a shameless attempt to get Ally to come hiking with me. Is it working, Kitty?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 601

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
Jen, you know who I mean. Battery powered? More like milk-powered! But that's the best kind! ;D
A strong, handsome figure with bicycle-pedaling skills to rival that kid from E.T.! ;D
Hehe! Of course I know who you mean. My self-esteem booster, Philly! :D He's milk powered alright! Like out of this world Milky Way powered. His skills are far beyond pedaling, though he does have a sweet boyish charm like Elliot that I love so much. Anyhow, I'd ride in his basket any day! I knew at some point my Polly Pocketness would come in handy. *blushing smile*

Now that our strapping Codyman has found our TBP (totally bodacious peatunia), who will appear next on the Raydar of love?

Okay, enough of this bow chicka wah wah talk! YAY! to your progress and delicious finds, Kitty-Cat! The girl is finally relaxing and reaping the rewards! Who would of thunk it?! *wink wink*

Seriously though, I'm so happy for you! I knew you could do it! :D

tara

Yes to sunshine and sleep!
Your shopping expedition sounds great.
Yay to having more energy.
Glad you're managing to eat a bit more without getting scared off. :)

Looks like you are doing well with keeping PUFA as low as you are with that much fat.

Maybe you are filling in with variety, and getting some more micronutrients on other days, and I think you might be supplementing B-vits, so they may be OK. But I think a little chromium is required for good sugar oxidation, so good to check that you are getting some of that regularly. Also more potassium would probably be good.

I'm neither expert nor experienced with thyroid dosing, but I have some thoughts based on reading. I've come across references to measuring NDT by the grain (~65mg), but I'm not sure how much one grain of T3 would be? I don't think it can be 65mg.
The body produces about 4mcg/hour, and it has a fairly short half-life. Peat usually recommends taking tiny amounts of T3 (eg 1-2mcg) several times a day, rather than one or two large doses per day, and to increase gradually from smaller amounts to larger amounts if you need to. I think one of the risks from taking a lot more T3 than your body currently wants to use is that it may compensate by using other tactics to lower metabolism, and then you can have a bit of a tangle adjusting dosage again after that. (There are other risks too - some people get heart rhythm symptoms from too much T3). Not everyone responds the same with thyroid dosing, but that seems like the safest approach to me.

I remember the days when nearly all the shops were closed on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Aaah.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

tara said:
I think you might be supplementing B-vits

I'm not! But it's on my mind I just haven't got around to buying B supplements.

tara said:
But I think a little chromium is required for good sugar oxidation, so good to check that you are getting some of that regularly.

Any good sources of chromium or should I supplement?

tara said:
Also more potassium would probably be good.

I eat young coconuts twice a week but other than potatoes, OJ and bananas I can't think of how to get it in. OJ causes heartburn even with the BS.

tara said:
I'm neither expert nor experienced with thyroid dosing, but I have some thoughts based on reading. I've come across references to measuring NDT by the grain (~65mg), but I'm not sure how much one grain of T3 would be? I don't think it can be 65mg.

I always thought it was half a pill and I assumed they roughly have the same doses. Hmm... So it seems I have the 25mcg ones and I was taking half in the morning and half in the afternoon. I did this because cutting them into 1/4ths is really difficult and they powder or scatter. Thought this would be easier.

tara said:
Peat usually recommends taking tiny amounts of T3 (eg 1-2mcg) several times a day, rather than one or two large doses per day, and to increase gradually from smaller amounts to larger amounts if you need to.

My bad for thinking more is better... But how would one find 1-2mcg doses!???!

tara said:
I remember the days when nearly all the shops were closed on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Aaah.

Yeah but at the time people probably hung out outside or something, whereas now they're forced to drink themselves stupid and play dubstep loudly and annoy the neighbours.

(Maybe that's just my unfortunate circumstances Y_Y)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Gah.

I'm sick of posting every other day with mixed results.
It sometimes feels like one step forward and two steps back.
Something works for a few days and then new symptoms arise.

I got nauseous yesterday.
I actually have been getting nauseous a few times this week but forgot to mention it because I was having a good day and I forgot about it.
Yesterday was a little worse than usual.

I haven't been checking my temps and going by energy but GAH! Today I finally checked and they're 96.3F and lower! I've regressed!

I keep focusing on weight-loss but forgot how irrelevant it is if you feel crappy.

The lack of appetite comes and goes and so does the depression (it's probably asymptomatic of a crappy life more than anything).

Coming to the forums just makes me a little more depressed because things aren't working as well as they do for the rest of you. Maybe I should take a break from posting (possibly indefinitely) as I have nothing to contribute here.

XOX.
Thanks for all your help.

javacody

How much sun are you getting?

tara

Hi PG,
I just noticed your log pic seemed to show low on some B-vits. Peat most often recommends niacinamide (50-100mg) up to a few times a day. Sometimes he also recommends B1 or B6. He says B2 (riboflavin) is often allergenic. On your pic it looks like niacinamide (form of B3) and B1 and biotin are particularly low.
Personally, I'm taking several Bs, but I don't know if you need to. I think B-vits make a difference to me, but I haven't worked out if I need all the ones I'm taking or just some of them. Haidut's got a B-vit supplement that some people are using and finding helpful. Liver provides some B-vits. I measure up powders.

I saw 0 chromium on your pic, and thought about needing it, but I don't know the best way to get it, and I don't know if cronometer is accurate on this - I'd be surprised if you really are getting 0. I remember someone elsewhere saying mushrooms are good, but when I look up on nutrition data or cronometer, I don't see any measurement for chromium on any foods. When I asked about it on here, someone said they rely on regular liver to supply all their trace minerals. I found this http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Chromi ... fessional/ - says grape juice is a good source.

Potasium is in most fruits and veges, so any fruit, juice, vege broths should help. Seen this?
www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3536

Peat talks about nibbling a little of a T3 tablet. I got a cheap pill splitter that I've used to chop other tablets into 1/4s and 1/8s, but I don't have experience with T3. I think some people chop them into 4ths (~6mcg) and then break them up even smaller, even if not completely even. Maybe you could divide into 4ths, then take a tiny bit of the powder every couple of hours through the day, and see if that works? I think others have talked about how they do it.

Good q from Cody on sunshine, too.

javacody

Tara, oddly enough, I just read an article that says that acne can be caused by large amounts of B12. It's funny how dead in some if the things Ray says end up being.

tara

I think Peat cosiders 10mg B12 to be plenty.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

tara said:
I just noticed your log pic seemed to show low on some B-vits. Peat most often recommends niacinamide (50-100mg) up to a few times a day. Sometimes he also recommends B1 or B6. He says B2 (riboflavin) is often allergenic. On your pic it looks like niacinamide (form of B3) and B1 and biotin are particularly low.
Personally, I'm taking several Bs, but I don't know if you need to. I think B-vits make a difference to me, but I haven't worked out if I need all the ones I'm taking or just some of them. Haidut's got a B-vit supplement that some people are using and finding helpful. Liver provides some B-vits. I measure up powders.

Sometimes I enter foods I bought in the store and they rarely list anything except the usual (calcium, A, iron, etc.) so it could be that. I know I need vitamin Bs I just haven't gotten around to buying them. I'm still researching which ones I need for my particular issues so I can buy them all at once!

tara said:
I saw 0 chromium on your pic, and thought about needing it, but I don't know the best way to get it, and I don't know if cronometer is accurate on this - I'd be surprised if you really are getting 0.

Yeah, chromium is never listed in any of the stuff I eat... I'm sure I'm getting some... Maybe I'll have to supplement.

tara said:
Potasium is in most fruits and veges, so any fruit, juice, vege broths should help. Seen this?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3536
I get 1-2 cups of juice usually-- a blend but maybe that's not enough.

tara said:
Peat talks about nibbling a little of a T3 tablet.

Yes! That's a great idea! I've been doing that and feeling better but not sure if it's the T3 since I only remember to take 1/4 in the morning and never anytime after... ;s

tara said:
Good q from Cody on sunshine, too.

Yes! As much as I can, but there's so much I can get in the span of one day... I can't rely on sun and nothing else to feel normal. And some days it doesn't matter. It usually just makes me sleepy.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

OK.

I hope I don't jinx it but I've been feeling something I haven't felt since this whole Peating thing started:
I've been feeling NORMAL.

I'm finally reading a book I bought towards the end of my Paleo days, something that would appeal to any perfectionist without a tinge of irony: The Perfect Health Diet Book. I enjoy reading it so much that I never actually do it.

(Hear me out!)

When I like something I will put it off until I'm done with chores/ errands, so I end up never having the time to do it unless I'm taking an epsom salt bath!

Anyway, all the starch talk got me... starchy! I soaked some rice in lemon juice for 8 hours and I cooked it. I was able to digest it 86% better than ever before! I still experienced some slight indigestion if I ate too much, too fast though. I have to be careful.

But over the last few days I was feeling this "normalcy" from morning to evening WITHOUT THE ENERGY DIP!
Whereas before I had constant bone and muscle pain (in my joints and back especially) and after a little bit of walking around in my shoe-box of an apartment I had to lie down because I was tired. I was feeling like I an 80-year-old ALL THE TIME and it was making me lose all hope.
The last few days I was on my feet cleaning and cooking I haven't felt tired or any pain and so I forgot to take my T3s (I only take a 1/4th in the morning with some caffeine).

I didn't log anything but from what I have in the fridge I probably ate: fried rice with pork, free range eggs, cherries, apples, coconut oil, sriracha, some cold brewed tea, some coke (maybe a can or less), and shrimp.
(Yep these last two days I've been eating friend rice every day...)

No milk, no coffee and barely any sugar.

I've increased my PE from 3 drops, 3 times a day to 6 drops, twice a day.

It's easier for me to fall asleep too, but towards the early morning I wake up to pee a few times.

Let's see what happens next.

javacody

Peat's_Girl said:
OK.

I hope I don't jinx it but I've been feeling something I haven't felt since this whole Peating thing started:

I'm finally reading a book I bought towards the end of my Paleo days, something that would appeal to any perfectionist without a tinge of irony: The Perfect Health Diet Book. I enjoy reading it so much that I never actually do it.

(Hear me out!)

When I like something I will put it off until I'm done with chores/ errands, so I end up never having the time to do it unless I'm taking an epsom salt bath!

Anyway, all the starch talk got me... starchy! I soaked some rice in lemon juice for 8 hours and I cooked it. I was able to digest it 86% better than ever before! I still experienced some slight indigestion if I ate too much, too fast though. I have to be careful.

But over the last few days I was feeling this "normalcy" from morning to evening WITHOUT THE ENERGY DIP!
Whereas before I had constant bone and muscle pain (in my joints and back especially) and after a little bit of walking around in my shoe-box of an apartment I had to lie down because I was tired. I was feeling like I an 80-year-old ALL THE TIME and it was making me lose all hope.
The last few days I was on my feet cleaning and cooking I haven't felt tired or any pain and so I forgot to take my T3s (I only take a 1/4th in the morning with some caffeine).

I didn't log anything but from what I have in the fridge I probably ate: fried rice with pork, free range eggs, cherries, apples, coconut oil, sriracha, some cold brewed tea, some coke (maybe a can or less), and shrimp.

It's easier for me to fall asleep too, but towards the early morning I wake up to pee a few times.

That's not a Ray Peat diet! Just because it's producing results doesn't make it OK. You're a bad, bad person. Baaaad.

Where's the gelatin? Where's the cocaine?

Think of the children!

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
Umm...YUM! I love fried rice and lo mein and crab rangoon and egg fu yung and beef teriyaki. Oh and chicken fingers! Wait a minute! The PHD is based on Chinese food? That diet rocks!

In all seriousness, I think it's great that you're finding what's working for you no matter if it's Peaty or not. You have to do what's right for you, Kitty-Cat! I just want to see you healthy and happy in that lovely body of yours. ;)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Jennifer said:
Peat's_Girl said:
Umm...YUM! I love fried rice and lo mein and crab rangoon and egg fu yung and beef teriyaki. Oh and chicken fingers! Wait a minute! The PHD is based on Chinese food? That diet rocks!

In all seriousness, I think it's great that you're finding what's working for you no matter if it's Peaty or not. You have to do what's right for you, Kitty-Cat! I just want to see you healthy and happy in that lovely body of yours. ;)

I guess it's based on stuff you make yourself. The fried rice is the most annoying and time consuming thing to make cause you have to cook everything separately. So I think I earned my Chinese food through sweat and hard effort!

Definitely more nutritious with my free range eggs, tamari sauce and lemon soaked rice! ;D

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

javacody said:
Peat's_Girl said:
OK.

(Hear me out!)

That's not a Ray Peat diet! Just because it's producing results doesn't make it OK. You're a bad, bad person. Baaaad.

Think of the children!

Ssshhhh Cody... Just let it happen ;P

javacody

Peat's_Girl said:
javacody said:
Peat's_Girl said:
OK.

(Hear me out!)

Think of the children!

Ssshhhh Cody... Just let it happen ;P

That's what the girl what took my Virginhood sayed.

And she done gived me a case of the itchies sumpin fierce.

In all seriousness, I'm glad you're feeling better. And I'm thinking based on what you said that you have very low stomach acid.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

javacody said:
In all seriousness, I'm glad you're feeling better. And I'm thinking based on what you said that you have very low stomach acid.

D'oh! You're right!

*drops acid*
*is cured*

:discoboogie