Peata's Log For Weight Loss & Misc

OP
Peata

Peata

Lost a little more weight. If I lose one more pound, I will officially consider it "real" weight loss. Because my efforts over the last couple years have brought me down to this weight before two or three times, only to go right back up again. I haven't seen less than this current weight in so long,it's as though the scales refuse to display any number lower, so it's my goal to see that happen this week.

I had been eating 35-40% fat, but am feeling like I want less fat the last couple days. Maybe it's because we are into some really hot days and my appetite has changed, but I'm going toward lighter stuff at the moment (other than my daily chocolate).

Regular Supps:
Aspirin, K2, Lapodin, Niacinamide

Occasional/As Needed Supps:
Cyproheptadine, Doxylamine, Dramamine, Theanine

OP
Peata

Peata

Higher dose pregnenolone converts into pregnenolone sulfate (PS) and allopregnanolone, both of which have anti-sexual effects. PS was found to increase prolactin release in vivo while pregnenolone suppressed it. So, another reason not to overdo the pregnenolone. I think Ray's advice on 100mg - 150mg is spot on unless a person has a serious disease that needs full suppression of cortisol and estrogen.

I take 200 mg. pregnenolone daily and it stops my hair pulling, but when I drop to 100 mg, the urge to play with and pull out hair comes back. Back up to 200 mg. it goes away. I may try 150 mg. though since I haven't tried that dose.

For some reason, the pregnenolone doesn't help with other OCD (like fear of germs/hand washing)

Any other ideas on stopping OCD type symptoms?

OP
Peata

Peata

Had doctor "checkup" today, and told him I've been taking pregnenolone. He never heard of it.

I asked if I could get blood tests for pregnenolone, estrogen, progesterone, serotonin, etc. and the answer is, I can't. Had to do with insurance company saying if I'm taking something OTC and there's a change, then he has to say what the next plan of action would be (such as putting me on birth control pills). Anyhoo...

I've lost a little more weight, so yay for that.

sladerunner69

I take 200 mg. pregnenolone daily and it stops my hair pulling, but when I drop to 100 mg, the urge to play with and pull out hair comes back. Back up to 200 mg. it goes away. I may try 150 mg. though since I haven't tried that dose.

For some reason, the pregnenolone doesn't help with other OCD (like fear of germs/hand washing)

Any other ideas on stopping OCD type symptoms?

Hairpulling is now a symptom of a health condition? If you have strange psychlogical quirks then I would approach them from a psychology strategy, not relying mainly on supplements. DHEA helped give em energy and give me back some libido, but in the end it was my own thoughts and shift in perspective that took me out of deep depression.

OP
Peata

Peata

Hairpulling is now a symptom of a health condition? If you have strange psychlogical quirks then I would approach them from a psychology strategy, not relying mainly on supplements. DHEA helped give em energy and give me back some libido, but in the end it was my own thoughts and shift in perspective that took me out of deep depression.
Trichotillomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not relying just on supplements, but also using some therapy I learned a while back for OCD. But just like someone seeing a psych who would likely use therapy + SSRI's, I'm also looking for supplementing to help me along. (instead of SSRI which I will not take again).

whit

Hey Peata I've been following your thread and really enjoying it too.
I've often found how clothes fit a great way to test for weight balance.
So measurement may give a better read than scale readings.
Mainly because muscle is denser than fat.

I read a ways back you'd tried the terp. experiment and was wondering how that went as well.
We've always used activated charcoal when initiating a clense.
It's a great hack for diarea as well.

sladerunner69

I'm not relying just on supplements, but also using some therapy I learned a while back for OCD. But just like someone seeing a psych who would likely use therapy + SSRI's, I'm also looking for supplementing to help me along. (instead of SSRI which I will not take again).

Alright... I concede, my words were a bit hasty there. I agree that both the physical and the mental are very much interconnected and that achieving stable metabolic health could definitely help you recover your sanity.

My initial take was that you simply felt like pulling your hair here and there, I had not ascertained the potential severity of OCD-hairpulling. This was a mistaken notion that was ill evolved into my prevous assertions, and I wish to remedie the construct of my opinion by stating that I do believe your continued reporting of your symptoms to be of significant value and merit to my knowledge and the forum in general.

Regina

Maybe there could be a pathogen involved?? Paul Jaminet of the Perfect Health Diet started his journey after learning he had a C. Pneumoniae infection in his brain. He had become depressed and joyless, lacking in emotion and, if I remember correctly, was hair pulling. And noted he had been a very happy child. In any case, he cured the infection with low-dose doxycycline over some months. Maybe Lapodine would be a good strategy to add.

OP
Peata

Peata

Alright... I concede, my words were a bit hasty there. I agree that both the physical and the mental are very much interconnected and that achieving stable metabolic health could definitely help you recover your sanity.

My initial take was that you simply felt like pulling your hair here and there, I had not ascertained the potential severity of OCD-hairpulling. This was a mistaken notion that was ill evolved into my prevous assertions, and I wish to remedie the construct of my opinion by stating that I do believe your continued reporting of your symptoms to be of significant value and merit to my knowledge and the forum in general.
Oh hey, no worries, no problem, Slade.

OP
Peata

Peata

Hey Peata I've been following your thread and really enjoying it too.
I've often found how clothes fit a great way to test for weight balance.
So measurement may give a better read than scale readings.
Mainly because muscle is denser than fat.

I read a ways back you'd tried the terp. experiment and was wondering how that went as well.
We've always used activated charcoal when initiating a clense.
It's a great hack for diarea as well.
Hi Whit,

I didn't do the turpentine for long and didn't try it again later like I thought I would. Once I used Psyllium for a bit, my diarrhea problem was FINALLY fixed. Well, I get it on occasion and I've noticed it will happen after a large meal, usually later in the day. Not sure if fat intake at that meal plays a part. Makes me wonder if it's some gall bladder disturbance. But it resolves. I haven't needed psyllium forever now. Charcoal hasn't done anything for diarrhea for me. I do take some capsules of it on occasion just to help with a general digestive detox.

Unfortunately, my weight loss stalled. I'm now trying to keep it from moving back up a bit. My appetite has been strong all week.

Thanks for the comments.

OP
Peata

Peata

Maybe there could be a pathogen involved?? Paul Jaminet of the Perfect Health Diet started his journey after learning he had a C. Pneumoniae infection in his brain. He had become depressed and joyless, lacking in emotion and, if I remember correctly, was hair pulling. And noted he had been a very happy child. In any case, he cured the infection with low-dose doxycycline over some months. Maybe Lapodine would be a good strategy to add.
Hi Regina, thanks for comments. I used Lapodin for 2 - 3 months. My hair pulling started during a time of intense stress. It was late Fall 2013 into winter 2014. That's also when I started gaining the weight that I couldn't get stopped. I know I was stress eating during that time, but when none of the usual weight loss stuff helped, it got kind of frightening. I've seen improvement with the hair pulling when I take a lot of pregenolone, but I recently wiped the supplement slate clean to try a new regiment of idealabs products. We'll see how it goes.

OP
Peata

Peata

Well, haven't seen this weight I'm at now since spring 2014 when I started climbing up the scale uncontrollably. I've lost about 20 pounds total (hard fought, except here recently). Would like to lose 15 - 20# more, but no big deal. My pants want to fall down these days if I'm not careful. Would like to get some weight-loss reduction in my breasts too, but so far it hasn't happened.

I have to keep my calories less than 1800 to lose. That's not a starvation level though, and in fact I never go hungry. It's actually pretty good considering I'm sedentary most of the time. I'm not really watching anything but starch so far. I still eat some starch, just not like I used to (cut out cereals, most breads, pasta, etc.) I average around 50 g. starch. I am averaging 200 g. carbs, 75 g. protein.

whit

Thanks for the update.
Is starch your cryptonite?
Do potatoes fall into this category for you?

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for the update.
Is starch your cryptonite?
Do potatoes fall into this category for you?
Honestly, I don't know because I have tried all this stuff before without result. (different combinations of lowering starch, fat, so on). But this time I must be doing something right. I read that starch raises insulin more than sugars and causes one to get fat. So I decided to lower starch again. I still eat some potatoes. Half a baked potato or some Boulder Canyon coconut oil potato chips. Even though bananas are looked down on, I eat 1/2 at a time to get 1 banana a day. It's because I have a hard time eating in the morning, but half a banana and some milk is easy to get down. And I keep half a banana by the bedside in case I need it before I fall asleep or if I wake up and can't go back to sleep (doesn't happen too often, but I don't take chances with it). I don't worry about my fat intake, just so long as the majority of it is saturated. I upped my dairy fat from using skim or 1% to whole milk. I use half n half in coffee. I eat cheeses. I think the fat helps with feeling full. I don't let myself go hungry.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I wonder if plain old time and pufa depletion has anything to do with it? I think you've been incorporating Peat's ideas a little bit longer than me and recently I've noticed my clothes are roomier but I'm not doing anything different, not trying to lose weight and the number on the scale is the same. Maybe 3+ years of minimizing pufa is paying off?

whit

Honestly, I don't know because I have tried all this stuff before without result. (different combinations of lowering starch, fat, so on). But this time I must be doing something right. I read that starch raises insulin more than sugars and causes one to get fat. So I decided to lower starch again. I still eat some potatoes. Half a baked potato or some Boulder Canyon coconut oil potato chips. Even though bananas are looked down on, I eat 1/2 at a time to get 1 banana a day. It's because I have a hard time eating in the morning, but half a banana and some milk is easy to get down. And I keep half a banana by the bedside in case I need it before I fall asleep or if I wake up and can't go back to sleep (doesn't happen too often, but I don't take chances with it). I don't worry about my fat intake, just so long as the majority of it is saturated. I upped my dairy fat from using skim or 1% to whole milk. I use half n half in coffee. I eat cheeses. I think the fat helps with feeling full. I don't let myself go hungry.

I'm a big fan of the Boulder Canyon chips too. Still trying to get the rest of us off all the PUFA laden chips
The last holdout can be the most difficult.
I've been off bananas for a while until recently I had one in a smoothie. It made me feel weird and I had a headache the rest of the day til I took some charcoal.
I wish I could still eat them. I used to eat 4 or more a day.
I'm glad your finding success its heartening to see.

amethyst

I'm a big fan of the Boulder Canyon chips too. Still trying to get the rest of us off all the PUFA laden chips
I've been off bananas for a while until recently I had one in a smoothie. It made me feel weird and I had a headache the rest of the day til I took some charcoal.
Yeah, the coconut oil potato chips are pretty good and I don't even like potato chips that much. But if you need a crunchy something......

OP
Peata

Peata

I wonder if plain old time and pufa depletion has anything to do with it? I think you've been incorporating Peat's ideas a little bit longer than me and recently I've noticed my clothes are roomier but I'm not doing anything different, not trying to lose weight and the number on the scale is the same. Maybe 3+ years of minimizing pufa is paying off?
I would love to think I've depleted pufa, but I'm not sure because I've eaten it at times (thought usually tried to take a precaution like vitamin E, aspirin, coconut oil, etc.). I do think my liver is doing a little better though. I can take lots of niacinamide without any issues. I've lost some weight, slowly, but surely over time. I don't have many problems these days with running low on blood sugar like I did when I first started "eating Peat". I do hope it's like you said, and being conscious of minimizing pufa has helped.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you. It's been very slow, but I've always stayed hopeful it would pay off eventually.