Peata's Log For Weight Loss & Misc

OP
Peata

Peata

Bad luck. When I had really bad menstrual cramps they often came with my digestive system packing a sad too - diarrhoea, sometimes vomiting, usually trouble digesting anything properly. Of course I took this as a sign to not eat, which probably prolonged the agony.
Yeah, this was set off Wed. evening after eating a cheeseburger I made, it was like my organs of digestion couldn't handle that meal all of a sudden, which they normally can any other time.

I thought the menstrual cramps were done, but I had to get up last night to help someone to the bathroom and the cramps came on again fiercely. Took more aspirin. Today at last, I got a good stretch of sleep and woke up feeling pretty refreshed. Hopefully the worst of the uterine and intestinal pain is over.

I'm having a time right now because I've been sleep deprived a couple nights in a row (caring for an elderly family member who needs assistance all hours of day and night, but I don't mind, just not getting much sleep..), my period finally came on today, and I've been cramping (though not too bad), but I've had GI upset since last night - my belly won't stop rumbling and gurgling, have had bad diarrhea, belly pains, etc. I'm just in a funk physically today. I went out to get a little sun and drank some Alka Seltzer (aspirin) this a.m.

Awe, I'm sorry Peata....sleep deprivation is the WORST! I hope things stabilize for your quickly:kisscheek

Hi Peata...I'm curious if your high magnesium gig has changed your levels of histamine in any way? Have you noticed anything, by chance?

OP
Peata

Peata

I've had bad gut issues for about a month now. I mean worse than usual, because not only was there diarrhea but a bad feeling that's hard to describe in my stomach/gut. Just a sicky feeling from stomach through bowel. Dramamine helps some of the symptoms, but not whatever was going on in my intestines. Even Pepto Bismol was not taking care of it enough. That was a first. I wasn't sure what to do anymore.

I thought about taking a fiber supplement, as I know this is often recommended in IBS. Plus a GI doc once told me I needed more fiber. I thought I got plenty, but decided to actually supplement. I'd taken Metamucil in the past for a while but couldn't remember if it did anything. My Mom had an unopened container of generic Metamucil that expired six years ago. I was desperate. This seemed more "pure" than the kind I took years ago, as this one is just psyllium husk and sucrose. I began using this, mixing with 4 oz. milk or orange juice. It started calming things down but didn't solve the diarrhea fully until four days into the treatment. Yesterday, no diarrhea. I could actually do #1 without the onslaught of acid water. How nice to be able to just freakin pee.

I actually had constipation today. Wow. Me, without diarrhea? This forum log might implode at the idea of it.

I don't want constipation either though, so I'm reducing the Metamucil to one rounded teaspoon per day. I can tell that my problem is still sort of ongoing down there, hopefully sorting itself out. I still have some gas, not as bad as before. But I don't have bloat, and I don't have diarrhea. I'm keeping track of what I eat and what makes me feel bad. I had a strip of bacon and one egg this morning (and some other foods/drink) and that seemed to bother me. I had to take Pepto and Dramamine.

I'm also not tolerating coffee well, even with cream and sugar. It hurts my stomach. I'm drinking a lot of tea, hot or cold lately, as it seems more soothing. I've cut way back on supplements.

Basically, I'm down to taking 2.5 mg. K2. I'm using Lapodin. That's it for now, unless I need Pepto or Dramamine. Oh, and these annoying "little" headaches try to come on most days, so I take Alka Seltzer as needed.

Back to the fiber. From what I've read, psyllium powder forms a gel from the excess water in the gut, and stops diarrhea. Seems like that is gentler than fibers which scrape along the intestines. Psyllium also helps make butyrate which feeds good bacteria (if there's bacteria in there might as well be the helpful kind).

OP
Peata

Peata

Do you think the high dose magnesium may have contributed to the gut issues?

It didn't appear to, but who knows. The problem has improved lately, and I have cut back on the natural calm. While it was going on, I seemed more drawn to hot or cold tea, so I had that a lot. Now I'm back to having a couple cups of coffee per day.

I went a full week without diarrhea and then one evening I ate the wrong things I guess, and had to go back on the Metamucil. It fixed me up again. I've been using it the last few days. I really love that stuff though it's not a Peat-approved thing. I never got these kind of results from carrot salad or charcoal or anything. Maybe I needed huge amounts of those to really work, but this is a lot more convenient to me. Actually, it's not real Metamucil, what I have is just psyllium husk and sucrose. I mix a heaping teaspoon into 1/2 c. milk and that's what I have before bed (when I need it).

My fat intake has crept up quiet a bit, and with that I've gotten a bit careless about the pufas :( So I'm going to be more careful about that much at least.

Regular Supplements:

30 iu Vitamin A
5 mg K2
100 mg niacinamide 2 x day
15 - 25 drops Lapodin

Other Supps "as needed":

Aspirin
Dramamine
Benadryl
Psyllium
Pregnenolone
Natural Calm

OP
Peata

Peata

Do you think the high dose magnesium may have contributed to the gut issues?
Maybe it did upset my GI tract after all. I recently got the Natural Calm that's unflavored (not realizing how much more acidic it would taste). I mix it with something else when I can. Last night it was burning my stomach. And this a.m. I woke up with diarrhea :toiletclaw:hairpull

And this a.m. I woke up with diarrhea :toiletclaw:hairpull

Hmmmm....well I've considered myself to be the reigning Diarrhea Queen, but it looks as if I must pass the Tiara.....:crown:

Do you feel replete with magnesium yet Peata? Any changes is calcium issues?

OP
Peata

Peata

Hmmmm....well I've considered myself to be the reigning Diarrhea Queen, but it looks as if I must pass the Tiara.....:crown:

Do you feel replete with magnesium yet Peata? Any changes is calcium issues?
Never felt any different really with the 1 g. magnesium daily. And no calcium issues, it's all the same whether I take a lot or not. But what seems to fix me is psyllium. It's made a huge difference. Sometimes it works too well and I almost get constipation (though I can still go daily). But once I got the diarrhea under control with it, I also feel a bit better overall. I think one reason it helps so much is that it sweeps out some of that bacteria. It came back last weekend when something really upset my system (and I think it's more delicate certain times of month). Psyllium isn't peaty, but as I said it works great for me. And I like the taste mixed with some milk.

Wearing the sash and tiara as the reigning Ms. Diarrhea
  • :toiletclaw
:HDDHappy to pass it along, but not really - hope nobody else ever goes through this.

While you do look Ravishing sporting the Sash & Crown, I know you'll want to ditch the title quickly....I think I won't try your magnesium experiment after all. If you didn't see much benefit I don't think it's worth the risk of upsetting my carefully cultivated intestinal servants.

For what it's worth, I fell head over heels in love with psyllium back in 1998. I was seeing a ND and she put me on the stuff, after several weeks I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. My guts normalized, I lost tons of weight and my estrogen symptoms went away. She had me on other things too, but I'll never forget the exceptionally fine B.M.s that needed no wiping :lol: (sorry)....funny how a good No.2 can make one's day....and I don't mean this:pencil:.

OP
Peata

Peata

While you do look Ravishing sporting the Sash & Crown, I know you'll want to ditch the title quickly....I think I won't try your magnesium experiment after all. If you didn't see much benefit I don't think it's worth the risk of upsetting my carefully cultivated intestinal servants.

For what it's worth, I fell head over heels in love with psyllium back in 1998. I was seeing a ND and she put me on the stuff, after several weeks I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. My guts normalized, I lost tons of weight and my estrogen symptoms went away. She had me on other things too, but I'll never forget the exceptionally fine B.M.s that needed no wiping :lol: (sorry)....funny how a good No.2 can make one's day....and I don't mean this:pencil:.
:grin

So far so good. I haven't had to take psyllium for over a week now. I think it calmed inflammation and helped eliminate bacteria.

OP
Peata

Peata

Just a little update.

I have lowered the pufas. Average under 40% of calories from fat, but I'm sure that's still considered high by most. I'm eating chocolate everyday for more than a week now.

I do better with my weight when I keep carbs at 200 g or less. It's been really easy for me to eat this way once I got used to lowering carbs. I use 1 t. sugar in my coffee instead of 3-4, for example. I still eat anything I want, but if it has carbs I just eat less of it or eat it without the carbs. It's like having the best of both worlds so far (high carb/low carb diets).

Interesting to me, I input the 2 quarts milk, 1 quart OJ from a quote that's around by Peat, and it comes to around 200 g. carbs. Which is the amount that is helping me lose some weight (200 g or less). I was losing very slowing between 200 - 300, but lowering it to 200 g. or less helped more). I'm not using those two foods to do it though - milk & OJ, at least not much of them.

Just like always, I have to make sure I don't go too long without eating or I get wicked moods. I try not to let them show -just stay by myself if I can til it passes and I can eat of course, but dang, if someone could bottle those moods, they would trigger DEFCON 1.

Regular Supplements:
Lapodin
K2
Vit. A
Pregnenolone
Niacinamide

As-Needed Supplements:
Aspirin
Psyllium
Dramamine
Magnesium
Theanine

Recent Positives:
Losing a little weight without deprivation
More heat tolerant than last year

Issues to resolve:
Still getting hormonal acne (related to cycle, usually on same areas of face everytime)

Last edited:
OP
Peata

Peata

Raw garlic will disrupt biofilms too, but it's brutal (not to mention stinky) taking it long term.

Several months ago I bought a tub of Aniprin which is USP grade aspirin powder for animals, but it's sitting here still unopened....I'm not sure how to use it. @Brian is there a specific aspirin protocol for busting up bio-films that you're aware of?
BP, if I remember you were using high dose aspirin experiment for diabetes? It may have been someone else, but I thought you were trying it based on a study from haidut. How did it go or did you have to give up?

BP, if I remember you were using high dose aspirin experiment for diabetes? It may have been someone else, but I thought you were trying it based on a study from haidut. How did it go or did you have to give up?

Yep, I was using the high dose aspirin because I (incorrectly) thought that my "diabetes" had returned....turns out I was using three year old expired and improperly calibrated test strips, lol. Who Knew? A home A1C test and properly calibrated strips revealed that I'm not diabetic.

For that particular experiment I had combined the aspirin with brewer's yeast and had an appallingly HORRIFIC reaction, so I quit everything.

I haven't tried high dose aspirin on it's own, without other confounders. My reaction was to the brewer's yeast only, as near as I can tell. I had tried the brewer's yeast (non-water extracted on my first attempt) on it's own without aspirin and had the same godawful experience.....so yeah, me and yeast DO NOT get along.

OP
Peata

Peata

Yep, I was using the high dose aspirin because I (incorrectly) thought that my "diabetes" had returned....turns out I was using three year old expired and improperly calibrated test strips, lol. Who Knew? A home A1C test and properly calibrated strips revealed that I'm not diabetic.

For that particular experiment I had combined the aspirin with brewer's yeast and had an appallingly HORRIFIC reaction, so I quit everything.

I haven't tried high dose aspirin on it's own, without other confounders. My reaction was to the brewer's yeast only, as near as I can tell. I had tried the brewer's yeast (non-water extracted on my first attempt) on it's own without aspirin and had the same godawful experience.....so yeah, me and yeast DO NOT get along.
Ah, ok, I'm so glad you're not diabetic. Sorry you had the scare with the old strips, but anyone could make that mistake.

Happy to report the chronic diarrhea that plagued me for two years is consistently staying away since I last used psyllium. If I'm remembering correctly, it's been over a month since I used it. It's amazing to be able to go to the bathroom and just do what you want to do there, lol. I think there was one time around ovulation I ate something that bothered my gut, but I decided to hold off on the psylium because I felt my body could correct the problem itself now, and sure enough, I was fine the next day. "Normally" the diarrhea, once set off, would continue forever. I think psyllium corrected something in my gut - bacteria, reduced inflammation, adding bulk so things could normalize...? Whatever it was, it's been great. That's not to say my BMs are perfectly formed. There were times early on using psyllium (and then stopping when diarrhea stopped) they were actually too hard and there was some difficulty passing. And sometimes they are too soft. But I'm quite cheered the chronic diarrhea has stopped. Enough talk on that, lol.

Maybe my use of Lapodin has helped in that regard as well. I've been using it six weeks now.

Good news all around!!! I don't know what Lapodin is so I can't comment on that, (I keep thinking it has to do with rabbit repellent, :lol: I don't know why)...... but I wonder if cutting back on your soda intake has helped to calm your guts down a bit?

I'm just guessing here obviously because I really don't have a clue....but I wonder if less phosphoric acid or carbonation or caramel coloring or sugar feeding microbes or something in soda might have been contributing to an imbalance???

Maybe psyllium helps to mechanically remove bio-films? I dunno, I love the stuff though.

Who knows, but at least things have calmed down for you, YAY!!!!!

OP
Peata

Peata

Good news all around!!! I don't know what Lapodin is so I can't comment on that, (I keep thinking it has to do with rabbit repellent, :lol: I don't know why)...... but I wonder if cutting back on your soda intake has helped to calm your guts down a bit?

I'm just guessing here obviously because I really don't have a clue....but I wonder if less phosphoric acid or carbonation or caramel coloring or sugar feeding microbes or something in soda might have been contributing to an imbalance???

Maybe psyllium helps to mechanically remove bio-films? I dunno, I love the stuff though.

Who knows, but at least things have calmed down for you, YAY!!!!!
Lapodin is one of Haidut's products - Lapodin - Dietary Supplement With Beta-lapachone And Emodin lapochone + emodin.

I'm sure all the soda didn't help, but that intake was relatively short term and recent, compared to the two years this diarrhea had been going on. But like you said, yay!

And I love the taste of psyllium mixed with milk, and I was expecting to take it every night or something (didn't realize it would be a "cure" like it has been), kind of a thing where if I have to do it, I actually looked forward to it because of the flavor and texture (I'm weird like that), but of course I'm glad I haven't had to continue it all these weeks since that means the diarrhea hasnt' come back.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals