Breaking up with LCHF and taking up with Peat

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats- Weight: 134.8 (same which is good considering how I ate yesterday), FBG 115 yikes, sleep quality poor.

So yesterday I was a little off with my eating. Had my usual 5 white omelette w/1oz of lt swiss, 8 oz of oj w/1tbs collagen, tea w 3/4c skim 1tbs collagen, 6 meringues bf. Lunch was 1C raw cottage cheese with 1c papaya and 1c cherries. Then late afternoon I should have eaten again but ended up eating bugles and oj. Curse the person who mentioned that bugles were ok in another thread. Then I made gluten free chocolate cupcakes for my kids and the tops fell off two of them when I pulled them out of the muffin tin (really) so I ate them because I didn't want them to go to waste. I ended up having a bowl of fruit for dinner - grapes and an orange....and a slice of lt swiss and oj before bed. So that may explain the high fbg. Going to try and stick to the basics today. Need to get back on track. Bugles are not food.

One interesting/positive development is my stomach is less bloated. Could be: 1. the antibiotics are treating some sort of gut infection as well 2. the digestive enzymes I've been taking with every meal. 3. I'm getting used to all the fruit

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: weight 135.4, FBG 112 ugh...sleep quality extremely poor - only 1 hr of deep sleep

Well it must not be potatoes/resistant starch because I had 2 cooked and cooled potatoes for dinner and the sleep I got was the worst I've ever seen recorded on my jawbone. Also, I think my morning sugar was high from the potatoes. I think starch is out.....I just listened to a podcast with RP and he talks about using the juice from a potato and tossing the starch so I guess I misinterpreted the potato on the infographic. Either way, my weight went up, sleep down and FBG up so no starch (for now).

I got to trader joes this morning and got more meringues. They are a way for me to get my sugar up. I can't tolerate honey, don't like sugar in my coffee and there is a limit to how much fruit and juice I can eat....so these sugar bombs help...I think I might also order some pure fructose and make them myself with fructose...probaby better that way.

Today's food: BF -- the usual - 5 white omelette, 1tsp ghee, 1 slice of lt swiss, 12oz oj w 1tbs collagen, tea with 2tsp sugar, 1tbs collagen

mid morning - iced coffee with splash of skim, 2 pieces of juicy fruit gum, 6 meringues

Lunch - 1c 2% cc, 1c cantaloupe, 1c grapes.

Not sure about dinner yet....maybe steak and fruit or oysters and fruit and cheese

tara

PeatJAM said:
I just listened to a podcast with RP and he talks about using the juice from a potato and tossing the starch so I guess I misinterpreted the potato on the infographic.
Peat has suggested potato juice with as little starch as possible as a way to get good protein when other sources are difficult for the body to use.
He suggests that some people do best without starch if the gut biota are messed up in ways that make it not handle starches well, and he recommends not eating huge amounts of starch for people trying to shed fat.
He does not say no-one should eat potatoes.
Some people do fine eating some starch, and whole potatoes are good in other ways.

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: Weight 135.4, FBG 109 Sleep quality - ok...3 hrs light, 5 hrs deep

No starch yesterday but a lot of meringues. Going to focus today on having more fruit. Not happy that my fbg and weight remains high. Nothing I can do but wait...tweak...wait....I know that day to day tweaks are probably not going to show immediate results....trying to get this dialed in as I go. I have no cravings for starch usually so it should be easy to keep out. I was ZC for close to 2 years so not really hard for me to keep it out. I have to say that fruit is getting a little dull...not sure how else to get my carbs up while keeping fat low....and liquid meals don't sate me at all....well will keep on trucking.

tara

PeatJAM said:
I have to say that fruit is getting a little dull...not sure how else to get my carbs up while keeping fat low....and liquid meals don't sate me at all....well will keep on trucking.
Have you tried dried fruit, sweetened fruit juice jelly, home-made cheesecake for more solid ways to get sugar in, if they agree with you?

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: weight 135 FBG 110 sleep quality ok. but woke up 3x

Had a half a glass of milk and 2 meringues (=1TBS sugar) before bed. I ended up waking up two or three times...once to visit the bathroom....so think the bedtime snack is counter productive...

Started reading Kate Deering's book How to Heal Your Metabolism....it's basically Peat for Dummies which is what i need because all that science makes me glaze over. She also lays out sample meal plans which is nice because it really helps me conceptualize this better. Hoping to spend most of the afternoon on the couch reading.

Feel like utter crap today. Kind of achy, feverish, headache type of thing which I'm actually happy about....I had a headache too yesterday....I'm hoping this is a good sign that the antibiotics are attacking the lyme and bartonella....I'm been on several antibiotic protocols and besides giving me diarrhea, I don't feel anything then 2 months later the blood work shows no progress in killing the lyme/bart. Hopefully this time is different. Or I'm just getting sick.

I took aspirin for the headache....don't think i've ever taken aspirin but I figured since Peat recommends aspirin for therapeutic reasons I'd kill two birds with one stone.

Hi Tara - thanks for the suggestions...wish I liked jelly but without PB yuck....I drink oj but it is sweet enough as it is so I can't imagine adding sugar to it....guess I will stick with my meringues ....2 of the is 1tbs of sugar....and I do looooove them....funny when I think about foods I have always liked/been drawn too it seems I am instinctively peat....fruit, cheese, milk, ricotta, carrots, cukes, coffee, eggs and seafood. Definitely a delicious way to eat.

So today i picked one of my kids' friend up for a play date...I haven't seen the mom in about a year...and she was like "well you certainly have filled out"....thanks a lot lady! Hope to see some progress on the weight loss front soon....but 2 years of battling lyme/bart/thyroid etc have certainly taught me patience.

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: weight 135.4 FBG 110, sleep quality poor mostly all light sleep

It seems the bedtime snack is actually making my sleep quality worse so since I don't really need it, I'm going to stop it and see if it helps improve my sleep and fbg. I'm also taking a few days off gelatin. I have an incredible sensitivity to MSG and it makes me gain weight....I've gained a few lbs since peating despite calories not being crazy....I'm wondering if the naturally occuring msg in the gelatin is affecting me. Bone broth used to cause me major weight gain so I stopped that about a year ago....

Reating Kate Deering's book and like that she has sample meal plans....she pretty much uses Peat principles but all of her meals are balanced with pfc. I like how she puts things together so it is helping me with my own menus.

Todays Food:
p
Meal 1 - 2 egg fried in CO, 4 oz oj, 1c cooked apples/peaches with cinnamin, tea w/2oz 2% milk, 2 tsp fructose

Meal 2 - 8 oz oj, 1/2c raw 4% cottage cheese

Meal 3 - tin of smoked oysters, 1c chopped tomatoes, 1 c cucumbers, sea salt, 1c grapes

Meal 4 - coffee w/4 oz 2% milk, 4 meringues

Meal 5 - 5 oz baked tilapia, 1C spaghetti squash, 1/2c homemade marinara, 1c cooked apples/peaches with cinnamin, 6 meringues

Think macros are pretty good....70g protein, 203 g carbs, 33g fat 60/20/20

Felt pretty good today, meals were satisfying and I was ready to eat them but not starving. I think that cutting my protein down is good....it is inflammatory for me and I tend to overdo the protein....going to aim for 80g....so a little lower today but it wasn't a workout day....tomorrow I will up that a bit.

Skin is looking very good....just hope the weight and fbg starts to budge soon.

littleg

Thanks for mentioning that book. You can peruse the whole menu section on Amazon - you are right - handy to see a menu :)

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: weight 134.6 FBG 118! EEK Sleep - good 2h50 deep, 3h37 light

What's up with my FBG! Will have to test late in the day a few hours after a meal and see where I'm at.

Followed one of Kate's menus to the letter yesterday and down .8 this morning...could just be coincidence, but motivating nonetheless....could also be that I had no gelatin yesterday. It seems that no betime snack is the key for better sleep for me....total opposite of what Peat recommends....well I've always been a special snowflake lol....I may still experiment with different snacks if I am hungry before bed but the dinners are pretty satisfying and I was only having the snack to see if it would help sleep quality.

Spaghetti squash! Where has this been all my life...Yum! Going to make her butternut squash soup today as part of dinner. I really am enjoying eating these nice small balanced meals....after being zc so long it is nice to see different tastes and flavors on the plate.

Today's food:

Preworkout - 4 oz of oj with seltzer

Post workout - 8 oz skim milk, 2 meringues (=1tbs sugar)

Breakfast - sweet potato/banana pancakes (1/2 sweet pot cooked/cooled, 1/2 banana, 2 eggs, baking soda, cinnam...cooked in CO w 1tbs maple syrup, tea w/2oz milk and 2 tsp sugar

Snack - 4 oz 2% milk, coffee, 1 orange, 1 oz parmgianno reggiano cheese

Lunch - 3 oz leftover london broil, 1c cooked apples/peaches, 1 tomato, 1c cucumbers

Snack - 8 oz milk, 4 meringues

Dinner - Butternut squash soup, baked tilapia, 1c fruit

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats; weight 135.6 FBG 108, 2h29 deep sleep, 5 hrs light sleep

Woke up not hungry at all....eventually forced myself to eat some eggs, oj, fruit and tea. I think potatoes and sweet potatoes are not right for me right now. I had a 1/2 a sweet potato in a sw. pot pancake yesteday morning and I had a lot of gas all day. I never have gas. I had potato butternut squash soup and bloated and weight up 1.2 this morning. Will stick with fruit and sugar for now....I think I was adding too much too fast. Also woke up with a headache (lyme die off...maybe)....took 2 aspirins and will see how I do.

Looks like it is going to be a nice day....going to try and get some sun...

tara

If the meringues get expensive it might be time to bake pavlova . :)
Pumpkin soup - yum! (I can only handle a little pumpkin - I'm guessing too much carotene for me.)
Good to hear KD's book is helpful.

PeatJAM said:
Think macros are pretty good....70g protein, 203 g carbs, 33g fat 60/20/20
Gotta keep up my reputation - that's not much food. :)

OP
P

PeatJAM

Bought egg whites to make my own with frutctose one of these days....the first attempt was a fail...fortunately trader joes has delicious onnes for $3 a box.

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: weight = 134 (yay but I'm sure it will jump back up tomorrow) FBG 115 (still high...) Sleep not great 2h44 deep 5h44 light.

Not surprised about my sleep...was that hungry yesterday so didn't eat that much and then ended up having a snack before bed time which for me equals less deep sleep for some reason. My fbg is still high...I actually had a reading of 100 but my meter is pretty cheap so I always take 2 readings and the second was 115 and the third was 115 so...

Busy day....at all day in the heat ...today's food:

Meal 1 - 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, ketchup, 1c baked apples/peaches, 4 oz oj, tea w/2tsp fructose and 2 oz milk

Meal 2 - 1 oz parmesean, 1 orange, 1 plum, iced coffee w/4 oz 2% milk

Meal 3 - 1c 2% cottage cheese, 1c cantaloupe, carrot

Meal 3 - 1c milk, 6 meringues, 1c cucumbers, 1 yellow pepper

Meal 4 - steamed lobster and mussels with a little drawn butter, a lot of meringues and sweet tea

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: weight 135.4 (really getting tired of this up and down yo yoing) FBG 115, Sleep not great...2 hr deep 5 hrs light

Was definitely a little down today about my lack of progress on peat....it's been about a month and FBG and weight don't seem to be budging....but at this point, i don't know what else to do except be patient.

Today's food:

BF - 2 eggs cooked in 1tsp CO, 1c cooked apples, 4 oz oj w/seltzer

Lunch - 2 oz fresh mozzarella, 1c cantaloupe, 1/2c cherries, coffee w/4oz 2%% milk

Snack - 1 oz parmasean, 2 plums, 2 sticks of juicy fruit gum

Dinner - 4 oz burger on the grill, 1c spaghetti squash with 3/4c homemade marinara, 5 meringues

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: Weight 133.8!, FBG 107, sleep 2h49 deep 5h35 deep.

Well 2/3 good numbers isn't bad...I'll take it. Been getting up to pee in the midlde of the night these past few nights...not sure what is up with that...never happened before...

Not much else to report....meals pretty much will be the same as yesterday ....hoping to have more weight loss if I eat the same way....I know it doesn't work that way but a girl can hope right?

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: 133.8 (yay...I held the loss in spite of overeating last night), FBG 100!!! :D Sleep about the same as usual...but no middle of the night wakings

Pleased with my morning numbers. Spent about 3 hours at the doctor with my youngest yesterday. His eyebrow has completely disappeared. Of course the pediatrician has no clue and asked me what I thought it was...then told me to go to a dermatologist. I took ds to my functional med. dr. instead. She, like me, thinks it is food related autoimmune. She took tons of vials of blood from him and is running lots of regular stuff plus 2 cyrex panels for food allergies. She wants me to try to get him to eat more things....not easy for a kid who won't try anything and subsists on cheerios, milk, chicken nuggets, pizza and breakfast food. I made cooked carrots with butter sugar and cinnamon last night figuring that carrots were a gateway food. He wouldn't even try them...my older son took a bite and declared them bad....oy vey. So I ate some very delicious carrots.

OP
P

PeatJAM

Morning stats: Weight 137.2!!!AAAARRRRRGGGGG FBG 105 2h56 deep sleep 5h20 light

Ughhhhh....ugh, ugh...added in some rice and potatoes and my weight has gone up 3lbs in 2 days! Clearly starch is not for me. I have never seen this number except when 6 months pregnant....so demoralizing....I would give up fruit for starch but clearly I do better on fruit even though I don't love fruit...it's ok but the fruit I really like are bananas and apples which are not terribly peaty...I bake a bunch of apples and peaches with cinnamon together at a time but I miss the convenience of throwing an apple in my bag...oh well enough moaning. Back on track today. Feel like I need a coach to help me figure out what and how much to eat....I feel like I'm just feeling around in the dark here and not doing a terribly good job.

Today's food so far:

BF - 2 eggs cooked in 1tsp CO, 4 oz oj, 1C cooked apples and peaches, tea w/2oz milk, 2tsp fructose

Pretty stuffed from that breakfast....it is always the rest of the days meals that I struggle with....what is everyone using for protein choices? I have oysters and tilapia but struggle to think of what other proteins to eat....seems like cheese would cause weight gain...but maybe not? Maybe a cheese and fruit lunch and save the fish for dinner? Don't know...

B

tara

Common protein eaten /drunk by posters here include milk, cheese, gelatin, gelatinous meat cuts, as well as fish and shellfish. You can buy or make low fat cheese if you are trying to limit fat intake. Very easy to make your own fresh cheese (I have no experience with aged ones).

OP
P

PeatJAM

What are gelatinous cuts of meat besides shanks which I do not like....I tent to like brisket and short ribs....do either of those qualify as gelatinous? I slow cook both....what about organic deli turkey? I know peat doesn't like chicken/turkey more than 1x/wk because of pufa but this has zero fat....

tara

Joints are where you find most collagen, I think. Oxtail. Knuckles. I've been getting soup bones that have a bit of meat on them. My recollection of brisket is that it is particularly high in fat?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals