Update on my "Blood Sugar Blues"

artemis

(Still not calling it "diabetes"!)

Just wanted to give a little update to you fine folk, cause I said I would. Six weeks ago I signed up for a six-week program with a naturopathic doctor (who follows Peat), to address my sudden high blood glucose issues. We have been focusing mainly on getting my ratios in the range she recommends (50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat), along with a regular eating schedule, drinking a steeped cinnamon and baking soda water 20 minutes before each meal, having a teaspoon of honey with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with each meal, strict avoidance of any processed foods (nothing out of a package), and a few other specific things, but those are the main ones. Oh, and, as I said in my other thread, she had me stop all supplements.

I wanted so much for it to work, and to be able to report good news, but alas, that is not the case. It has not been working. My blood sugar has been going steadily up. The first few weeks it was in the 200's, 260's, now this last week it has been around 330. To say I'm frustrated would be a huge understatement. I have been working really hard at all this, and feel like I'm getting nowhere. Now, she never told me I'd be "cured" in 6 weeks. When I asked her at the beginning how long it usually takes, she said that everyone is different but that I could probably expect to start feeling a little better after about 3 months, better still after about 6 months, and so on. And that there would be fluctuations during that time. Actually there hasn't been any fluctuation, just escalation! I do still believe her approach is the right one, and that forcing the numbers down by cutting all carbs, as I was doing before, is not the answer long-term. I am still going to consult with her, just on a less structured basis. She wants me to do a 40% to 45% carbs ratio now, up the protein a little, and she recommended that I start taking 2 supplements, which I have ordered. She said they "WILL" bring my blood sugar down. I am to discontinue the cinnamon water and the honey/cinnamon paste when I start these 2 supplements.

I'm not sure how she would feel about me divulging all this on here. I asked her if she reads the forum and she said no. My whole reason for telling you all about my troubles is to maybe keep someone from having to go through what I have been through. If I had it to do over I would introduce fruit, fruit juice, sugar, cokes, red bulls, and even milk much much slower than I did. Would probably leave out the cokes and red bulls altogether. Maybe this diet works great for most 25 year old males, but maybe a 52 year old female who has been sugar-phobic, milk-phobic, and fruit-phobic all her life should take it very slowly? Of course, I'm guessing that this is what triggered my blood sugar problems -- it's possible that it was something else altogether, and that my diet had nothing to do with it. I will never know for sure.

So I trudge on. Someone will probably be curious which supplements the naturopath recommended. I guess it's OK to put such info out here? Mods can do their thing if not. Both are found through a site called "Poliquin Group" -- one is "Gluco-Reg," the other is "Carnitine Synergy 2.0." I hope they arrive soon, and I hope they work.

bornamachine

Haidut recently posted a study on biotin and how it restores glucose metabolism.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
artemis said:
post 103801 I am to discontinue the cinnamon water and the honey/cinnamon paste when I start these 2 supplements.
Do you mind sharing what those supplements are?

haidut has posted info on Aspirin reversing insulin resistance in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:
OP
artemis

artemis

bornamachine said:
post 103807 Haidut recently posted a study on biotin and how it restores glucose metabolism.
Yes, I saw that, and I have started taking 20mg Biotin a few times a day. I'm trying it, no matter what the naturopath says! Thank you!

I also wanted to mention that I do follow all of you on the forum, and read pretty much everything, but I don't usually comment because with my own health issues being such a mess, I don't really feel qualified to say much. Then when I do update my stuff, I'm sure it comes across as that I'm only interested in myself, but that's not the case. Oh, and by the way, I LOVE the new format of the forum! You do such an excellent job, Charlie!

Charlie said:
post 103825 haidut has posted info on Aspirin reversing insulin resistance in 2 weeks.
Yes, I saw that awhile back. I thought it was 3 weeks. Anyway, I did it for about a week, till one day I got a few aspirin stuck in my throat, dissolving. Long story. But it ended up burning my esophagus, and larynx too I guess, because I was very hoarse for weeks afterward. After that little episode, I just couldn't bring myself to take any more aspirin! Maybe I will try again one day. Hoping I will have success with this other stuff I'm trying, and won't have to!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas

the first sign of a diet regimen working for a specific place in time is pulse and temp stabilising through the day where the numbers become more and more consistent (i.e. regulating blood sugar). If that is not happening, then the numbers will never optimize on that regimen. I assume this naturopath has made the number one record-keeping task to be temp. and pulse throughout the day and the ins and outs of what those numbers in combination mean. i don't know your temp and pulse history/situation, so....

also, i'm not usually a fan of "food miracles" but if you don't currently eat retrograded starches, you should definitely look into them as so many people have reported lowering their blood glucose with something as simple as resistant starch (as supplement) or as refridgeration-aged (oven-roasted) starches like roots. For a lot of people, the safest route for eating starches is to pair them with fruit

Nicholas

also, knowing very little about your situation, a 25% fat ratio seems a bit high. I know everyone's different and you can only prove this ratio with temp. and pulse readings.....but with blood glucose issues, specifically, i would think the course of action would be to lower the fat ratio... Denise Minger's latest blog post discusses some of these issues. i believe it truly is about the entire picture of variables in regulating blood sugar like ratios, calories, food frequency, etc.....but the fat ratio seems especially pertinent in relation to blood glucose.

(i also assume that these ratios are per meal?)

PeatThemAll

artemis said:
Yes, I saw that awhile back. I thought it was 3 weeks. Anyway, I did it for about a week, till one day I got a few aspirin stuck in my throat, dissolving. Long story. But it ended up burning my esophagus, and larynx too I guess, because I was very hoarse for weeks afterward. After that little episode, I just couldn't bring myself to take any more aspirin! Maybe I will try again one day. Hoping I will have success with this other stuff I'm trying, and won't have to!

:thumbright for your ongoing detailed story. Hoping it will turn out for the better.

Should you want to give aspirin another try, here's something interesting I saw on a Peatarian thread. I never really had a reason to take the extra steps (dissolution in water + baking soda), but this one changed my mind:

"Light microscopy studies 10 minutes after aspirin in saline showed damage in 20% of surface cells, with focal areas of cellular disruption and microscopic erosions, but only 3·4% of cells were damaged after aspirin in bicarbonate and there were no erosions. Electron microscopy showed a damaged honeycombed appearance of surface epithelium after aspirin in saline and a normal cobblestone appearance after aspirin in bicarbonate. Aspirin dissolved in bicarbonate failed to induce the usual fall in potential difference."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1631808/

Source: (Formerly) Peatarian - Help me start aspirin

Giraffe

Artemis, have you tested if potassium supplements influence blood sugar? (I don't know how predictive blood levels of potassium are of the situation within the cells.)

Have you read this post 96244 post?

OP
artemis

artemis

PeatThemAll said:
post 103852 Should you want to give aspirin another try, here's something interesting I saw on a Peatarian thread. I never really had a reason to take the extra steps (dissolution in water + baking soda), but this one changed my mind:
Thanks for that reminder, PeatThemAll. I have been meaning to try the aspirin in that form. I do have the plain aspirin tablets without excipients, and they dissolve really fast. Let me just say from experience: If you're going to take several aspirin tablets, always have your glass of water or whatever liquid you're going to wash them down with ready! Don't just toss them to the back of your throat while you go to get the water! Definitely not my finest moment. :doh

Giraffe said:
post 103857 Artemis, have you tested if potassium supplements influence blood sugar? (I don't know how predictive blood levels of potassium are of the situation within the cells.)

I have never supplemented potassium. I always assumed I was getting enough since I eat so much fruit. Maybe I should, though.

Giraffe said:
Have you read this post 96244 post?

Yes, I did read that post about B6. I had been taking it until I stopped all supplements 6 weeks ago. But I never noticed anything improve from stopping the supplements. I understand her reasons for wanting me to stop them, and I was taking a lot of stuff, but I think they were helping. And it's not like I was taking the cheapest supplements from WalMart or anything, I made sure to get the highest quality supplements I could find, using Toxinless and all. I can tell I'm probably going to gradually start taking them again!

OP
artemis

artemis

Parsifal said:
post 103897 Where you Peating before your blood sugar issues?
The only blood sugar issue I've ever had till now was LOW blood sugar. I started Peating in November, almost a year ago. My symptoms (sudden and severe) started around April to May.

SQu

I've done that with aspirin too! Not my proudest moment either!
I've had a doc take me off all supps too and it also didn't help. I suppose it depends on what you're taking.
And I also feel less qualified to comment as I feel less encouraged about my own situation. Least qualified of all on the aspirin issue right now having not done well there. But I did want to add that while I don't like bicarb (except in the quantities they use in soda water which I love), with aspirin, my stomach did seem to approve.

OP
artemis

artemis

SQu said:
post 103906 I've done that with aspirin too! Not my proudest moment either!
HaHa! Thanks for sharing that, now I don't feel so bad!

sweetpeat

Another idea for getting aspirin: I've read of some people on here using Alka-Seltzer. No pills to swallow :)

Peata

Yes, I always liked Alka Seltzer for getting my aspirin since it felt easier on my stomach (than just a pill sitting there dissolving in my stomach), but now if I'm using pills like Anacin, I take some glycine with it and my stomach seems OK from that too.

tara

Hi Artemis,
Sorry you are not getting more progress yet.

artemis said:
post 103801 If I had it to do over I would introduce fruit, fruit juice, sugar, cokes, red bulls, and even milk much much slower than I did. Would probably leave out the cokes and red bulls altogether. Maybe this diet works great for most 25 year old males, but maybe a 52 year old female who has been sugar-phobic, milk-phobic, and fruit-phobic all her life should take it very slowly?
Maybe.

If it were me, I'd probably resume the B-vits.

You don't have to choose between several aspirin tablets a day and nothing - there is a whole range in between. When I take aspirin, I always dissolve it in water first, then add a bit of juice to make it taste better. Lately I've been dissolving a little aspirin with baking soda, and I seem drawn to this even if I can't pinpoint a difference in any symptoms. (I've never taken aspirin regularly before, and I've never noticed stomach issues from it.) I'm currently trying to remember to take just ~100mg/day, and a tiny amount of coffee.

Nicholas said:
post 103850 also, knowing very little about your situation, a 25% fat ratio seems a bit high. I know everyone's different and you can only prove this ratio with temp. and pulse readings.....but with blood glucose issues, specifically, i would think the course of action would be to lower the fat ratio... Denise Minger's latest blog post discusses some of these issues. i believe it truly is about the entire picture of variables in regulating blood sugar like ratios, calories, food frequency, etc.....but the fat ratio seems especially pertinent in relation to blood glucose.
I found Minger's article very interesting too. In some of the studies the measured differences seemed to occur with much lower fat - aiming for more like 10%, but under 20% corresponded to much more favourable outcomes, whereas the difference between 20% and 30% fat was not much, and not obviously helpful.

Like SuQ, I don't claim any expertise or confidence either, esp. since I haven't got my own trouble sorted out either.

Take care, and keep figuring it out. :)

Giraffe

artemis said:
post 103895I have never supplemented potassium. I always assumed I was getting enough since I eat so much fruit. Maybe I should, though.
You have been on a sort of paleo diet before, without fruits, milk and sugar. Maybe what happens when recovering from a low carb diet is like a mild form of the refeeding syndrome seen after prolonged fasting. The metabolism takes up speed again and needs more raw materials than the diet can provide while the body stores of certain vitamins and minerals are depleted.

Do you have symptoms (not directly related to high blood sugar) that can give you a clue that you are lacking specific nutrients? You mentioned calf's cramps in another thread, didn't you? (magnesium or potassium?)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals