Skua's Weightloss and Health Problems Log

fr@

some say T3 can raise cortisol, some on here say its rare
Peat said taking even more than 5mcg T3 at once can raise stress in the body since its a supraphysiological/non physiological amount
high dosing the dessicated thyroids might work better
or maybe, T4 and t3 combination therapy, there were some crazy pictures posted on twitter, before/after of t4 t3 combination, the person got 10 years older but looked over 10 years younger, had a very sharp jaw and looked much better after the apparent t4 t3 combination therapy
Thanks, I'll start with NDT first.
What got me interested with Thyroid Medications like Cytomel, is that Danny Roddy uses it as a daily supplement (if I remembered it correctly).
And he seems to not age or something, so there must be something to it like you've mentioned.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Hey @fr@ , have you ever experimented with selenium or selenomethionine? Or taking more iodine?

I was taking thorne selenomethionine semi-regularly. It didn't seem to do much...

But then, the last couple days I kept taking it and then I started taking more thyroid and had great couple night sleeps and excellent energy in the day (what a relief). I'm monitoring my temps and they're just staying really high for me- 99F- so I haven't been taking more thyroid. However, I have been eating the last of my kelp granules (I sound like a goldfish) and it seems to keep it high (morning 97.7 to 99). I've been meaning to just buy iodized salt and see what happens...I'll probably do it soon and see if it changes the amount of NDT I need.

1632161700690.png

I'm not sure if you relate- but it was very popular in the carnivore crowd to eat real salt and I bought literal pails of the stuff. So my dietary iodine is pretty low, unless I eat sea food, which I never do...except that sushi that made me feel amazing...wait a minute...:O I'm a dork. Probably an iodine thing.

HealthPete

cortisol, high levels can cause cushings and severe fatigue. what lead you to look for a cortisol supplement? an adrenal cortex supplement is different to using pure cortisol, adrenal cortex just supports healing and production of your own adrenal hormones... but a cortisol supplement can fatten you up, apparently even pregnenolone taken in a poor low thyroid state will raise cortisol a bunch.
dessicated thyroid/adrenals arent measured or standardized but they should have some hormones in them, as long as they are unaltered, non defatted glands...

mate whats the half life isnt T4 half life like 2 weeks, T3 is 6 hours or something
I do not really know, but my doctor once told me you are supposed to wait three weeks before getting a thyroid test after changing or stopping your thyroid medication because it takes that long for it to level out.

HealthPete

I have never heard of anyone else say t3 cause weight gain. It does the opposite. t3 increases your metabolism
That is why your body temperature inceases on it. Body builderes use it between bulking to loose fat and get cut.
Ah... seems like taking Thyroid meds could be a double edge sword (so an NDT is safer)?

Dr. B

I have never heard of anyone else say t3 cause weight gain. It does the opposite. t3 increases your metabolism
That is why your body temperature inceases on it. Body builderes use it between bulking to loose fat and get cut.
it can burn up muscle and raise cortisol levels, i dont know the exact mechanism. maybe t3 alone reduces t4 production or tsh too much or something?

HealthPete

Yeah, I can see that if t3 is too high it could burn muscle. It burns fat also. But its our active thyroid hormone. We need it. I guess its just all about balance. That's why dr lowe and dr wilson use body temp to determine the right dose. The metabolism is supposed to function normally at around 98.6.
They say that you should support your adrenals first because if they are weak then the extra t3 can be too much for the body to handle.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Just making a note - started eating iodized salt 9/20/2021

Temps have been impressive. Last time I was checking regularly I'd still wake up with 96F
Morning is usually 97.4-97.7
After coffee and food and during the day 98.0-99.0

Dr. B

Temps have been impressive. Last time I was checking regularly I'd still wake up with 96F
doesnt it contain silicate/silica

fr@

Hey @fr@ , have you ever experimented with selenium or selenomethionine? Or taking more iodine?

I was taking thorne selenomethionine semi-regularly. It didn't seem to do much...

But then, the last couple days I kept taking it and then I started taking more thyroid and had great couple night sleeps and excellent energy in the day (what a relief). I'm monitoring my temps and they're just staying really high for me- 99F- so I haven't been taking more thyroid. However, I have been eating the last of my kelp granules (I sound like a goldfish) and it seems to keep it high (morning 97.7 to 99). I've been meaning to just buy iodized salt and see what happens...I'll probably do it soon and see if it changes the amount of NDT I need.

View attachment 28036

I'm not sure if you relate- but it was very popular in the carnivore crowd to eat real salt and I bought literal pails of the stuff. So my dietary iodine is pretty low, unless I eat sea food, which I never do...except that sushi that made me feel amazing...wait a minute...:O I'm a dork. Probably an iodine thing.
When I was doing Carnivore, I've already heard of Excess Iron causing Health Issues; so stopped using Redmonds and similar salts.
[Though I was using it before when I was doing Keto.]
So back when I was doing Carnivore, I was supplementing Lugol's then switched to Nascent Iodine.
'Cause only using Nascent Iodine was the only thing that brings my sweating back to normal.
Back then I take it with food, then after a few minutes I'll start sweating.
I think that's what it should be when you eat, your body temperature would rise -- which I now experience without supplementing Iodine.
Though I've been supplementing Iodine recently (Potassium Iodide) on and off, where I just put a drop on my navel; and I don't know if it works that way.
[Maybe I'm just disinfecting my navel with that kind of use... haha.]
Also Ray Peat is against the supplementation of Iodine, so that's why I've thought of just using it topically.
And speaking of Iodine, @Jam has a really good post about it (which I'm still trying put the pieces together).

The Kelp Granules bit got me laughing... haha, nice one :grin

fr@

Ah... so do you think it's the Iodized Salt that helped?

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Ah... so do you think it's the Iodized Salt that helped?
Iodine in general? I'm trying to put it together. That sushi dinner made me feel/sleep amazing. So has taking thyroid again and eating more kelp granules. But I do eat eggs (they have iodine, right?)

I have seen very mixed information on iodine- some people say it's very harmful and it'll wreck your thyroid, some say take...what is it, lugols (which seems pretty heavy dosing)? I saw this lady in a carnivore group that she solved a bunch of problems simply by switching to iodized salt, including period problems. I guess it stuck in my mind as a potential avenue.

I did not know Peat was against supplementing iodine. I'll look into that more, thanks!

OP
skuabird

skuabird

And speaking of Iodine, @Jam has a really good post about it (which I'm still trying put the pieces together).
I just read it. It seems pretty right on with my experience...I took selenomethionine for a bit- then iodine had a very sudden and profound positive effect. Before, kelp granules didn't seem like they did much, if not make me feel worse.

the missing link for that group is probably, in-part, deficient antioxidant defenses. This includes reduced levels of selenium, glutathione, and copper. Anytime iodine is ingested, the thyroid ramps up hydrogen peroxide production and reactive oxygen species. If there are no antioxidant defenses, well then the person is left defenseless against thyroid injury and autoimmune antibody production."
Selenium and NAC do make a difference in iodine's effect on me. I think I may need to address copper too, though, as I don't often feel like cooking small bits of liver (even though I notice better days following even an oz).

Dr. B

Iodine in general? I'm trying to put it together. That sushi dinner made me feel/sleep amazing. So has taking thyroid again and eating more kelp granules. But I do eat eggs (they have iodine, right?)

I have seen very mixed information on iodine- some people say it's very harmful and it'll wreck your thyroid, some say take...what is it, lugols (which seems pretty heavy dosing)? I saw this lady in a carnivore group that she solved a bunch of problems simply by switching to iodized salt, including period problems. I guess it stuck in my mind as a potential avenue.

I did not know Peat was against supplementing iodine. I'll look into that more, thanks!
you probably need unnatural, supplementary levels of antioxidants to be able to tolerate iodine supplementation. i think thyroid has lots of selenium/iodine. i dont think the selenium is enough, 200mcg wasnt enough for me, so maybe it could be raised, or maybe youd need to add other supplements, other things that help neutralize hydrogen peroxide, or boost glutathione or copper.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

you probably need unnatural, supplementary levels of antioxidants to be able to tolerate iodine supplementation. i think thyroid has lots of selenium/iodine. i dont think the selenium is enough, 200mcg wasnt enough for me, so maybe it could be raised, or maybe youd need to add other supplements, other things that help neutralize hydrogen peroxide, or boost glutathione or copper.
I'm still learning, thanks for your input. The thyroid stuff seems to make the most difference but I find it very complicated

fr@

Thanks to @Mr.Bollox as well about the use of Iodine.

But does supplementing Vitamin-E and eating Oranges enough to support Iodine supplementation?
I mean, a single softgel of Vitamin-E is more than enough for the day -- if you'll base it on the usual RDA.
I don't often feel like cooking small bits of liver (even though I notice better days following even an oz).
That's why I just boil everything in plain water... hahaha (I mean it's very simple).

Jam

No. This is only the case in a very small minority of people. I sometimes take iodide in gram-sized amounts, and do not ever take antioxidants, besides a few glasses of orange juice throughout the day.

Dr. B

No. This is only the case in a very small minority of people. I sometimes take iodide in gram-sized amounts, and do not ever take antioxidants, besides a few glasses of orange juice throughout the day.
do you supplement any thyroid extracts, ndt, t3, t4 etc? i think there also may not be any negative effects noticed if using supplemental thyroid

Jam

do you supplement any thyroid extracts, ndt, t3, t4 etc? i think there also may not be any negative effects noticed if using supplemental thyroid
No I do not.

fr@

Thanks, this answers my question.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals