Can Autoimmune Hypothyroid Be Fixed Via Diet And Supplementation?

BigChad

I have been into lifting for about 7 years. I was lean in highschool, 5'10 at 170. I had some acne due to using protein powders with a bunch of bad filler ingredients. Doctor prescribed antibiotics for the acne, and despite lifting much more regularly and with more intensity, in one year my weight jumped from 170 to 230 pounds, with minimal change in diet.
Eventually in 2015 I gradually started losing weight by gradually lowering calories, eating more protein. One of the things I also did was add in a basic multivitamin (centrum adult multivitamin), 1000mg vitamin c a day, fish oil, and 5000iu d3 a day, and 100g protein per day from whey protein. I was 215 pounds in february 2015 and in march 2016 I was down to 168 at 12 % bodyfat. I maintained this weight and leanness from 2016 through March 2018. In december 2017, I started messing around with supplements more and started using things like zma, additional multivitamins/minerals, and all kinds of supplements without doing the proper research on them. Regardless, despite not doing any cardio from february 2018 through now, I still maintained the same weight with the same level of leanness. I continued the 3 days per week of lifting until may 2018 which is when I started getting fatigued a lot. It was partially due to the zma, plus additional zinc from other vitamins, plus 120mg supplemental niacinimide per day which would make me sleepy right after using it (and also lowered thyroid hormones based on research). My lifting was down to once per week from may 2018 through january 2019. Regardless, even in february 2019 my weight was 174 pounds and I had the same level of strength I had in prior years.

I started doing research into different ingredients I was taking in supplements since I had a lot of fatigue (anemia), some level of hypothyroidism, water retention/bloating, histamine intolerance, and some nerve damage. I stopped using the centrum multivitamin since october 2018 since I wanted to remove food colors and other filler ingredients in it. That multivitamin contained 0.5mg copper, 150mcg iodine, and 18mg iron among other things. I still continued taking 15mg supplemental zinc per day (plus 12oz ground beef per day which also has a good amount of zinc). The nerve damage got really bad around mid december, where I would have trouble walking, getting out of bed, and had lots of pain in my legs. From december 2018 onwards I was only going to the gym every two weeks to lift. Some other supplements I had been taking since early 2018 also included a green tea extract 250mg supplement every other day (98% catechins), and life extensions trace minerals product once a week (this product has 750mcg vanadium and 250mcg molybdenum). both those products contribute to depleting copper/iron further.

In february I came to the conclusion that my issues were due to a deficiency in iron, copper, or iodine. I did not use iodized salt and ate a meat/dairy based diet. I figured I get some amount of iron from the beef. I do use a brita filter for drinking water, but I read about copper toxicity being much more common than deficiency. So I focused on iodine. I started out with 1mg of life extensions sea iodine, twice per week. It went great for the next two weeks. Had lots of energy, was able to work out. In mid march I started using 3mg tri iodine once per week (with 200mcg selenium 1000mg vitamin c) and 1mg LE iodine once per week. My weight went from 176 in early february to 193 by early april. April 15 is the last time I took a big iodine dose (1mg). Also in the end of march I noticed significant hair loss and thinning on my scalp, and my testicles had shrunken. I also had a lot more food intolerances and was really bloated, and having trouble digesting everything.
Throughout april and early may, I was still getting around 750mcg iodine per week via supplements, over the course of 4 days. I noticed my condition would improve over the week then worsen over the 4 days I took the iodine. I likely was getting additional iodine from 13oz whole milk and 12oz beef as well. I also tried out olive leaf extract in late april which I think could have worsened things. I lowered the iodine and multivitamins a bit throughout april and may, to around 300mcg or 450mcg per week from supplements. The issues still continued. Two weeks ago, I added in costcos adult multivitamin once per day (has 18mg iron and 150mcg iodine, similar formula to centrum adult multi). I also took 3mg traacs copper bisglycinate 3 times a week for two or three weeks. I was able to easily complete a full 90 minute workout two weeks back (after 4 days of using costcos multi). However after another 4 days, I had a big crash and had extreme fatigue and several issues. I am pretty sure that the iodine had built up again to a toxic level, from that multi. Even though in prior years i was taking in 150mcg supplemental iodine daily with no trouble. My balls are still shrunk to 50% of usual size and I rarely get erections.

I got several blood tests last week. Tested positive for ANA (anti nuclear antibodies), and the reflex tested positive for sgorgens syndrome. The doctor did not test for thyroid and several other types of antibodies but referred me to a rheumatologist for further testing. I dont really have sgorgens symptoms but have almost all of the autoimmune hypothyroid symptoms.
My diet is pretty low in PUFA, high in saturated fat. Usually had a very high protein diet, but my appetite has been absolute ***t the last couple months so ive only been managing around 80 to 100g protein a day where previously for the last 4 years I was getting 210g-220g protein a day. Im not sure if I should include 1g fish oil and 500mg black cumin seed oil as anti inflammatories to try to improve the condition. Some of the changes I originally made when cutting down from 230 to 170 included fish oil, d3 and multivitamin use daily. Plus additional multivitamins from a zone bar I was eating daily. I was getting 3750IU of vitamin A from retinyl palmitate/acetate per day, 5500IU d3 per day from supplements/milk, 140% rda vitamin e per day (all DL alpha tocopherol acetate from multi/zone bar), and 31% rda k1 from the multi. I think the vitamin a, d, and e from the supplements helped keep estrogen down and helped me lose weight.

From last week I've cut out all supplements due to the bloating and other issues I've been having. But I was wondering given my history, how I lost weight from dietary/supplemental changes and how I suddenly gained crazy weight from iodine this year, I was wondering if I would be able to fix this on its own, without needing to use any meds or thyroid hormone replacement. I've had obvious infertility/estrogen symptoms the last couple months from the thyroid issue.
As far as supplements for the coming months I was wondering if it would be beneficial taking 200mg magnesium aspartate, 1g extra virgin coconut oil, 1g fish oil, 500mg black seed oil, and 5000IU d3 everyday, vitamin e and 200mg vitamin c every other day, and 3000Iu vitamin A/1mg k1/1.5mg mk4/300mcg mk7 every other day. Im thinking that the main things to focus on are anti inflammatories, anti cortisol and anti estrogen supplements. Diet would be some dates, raw honey, coconut water, whole milk, greek yogurt, whey protein and ground beef.
Also I am assuming with autoimmune thyroid issues, herbs that stimulate the thyroid like ashwaganda or olive leaf would worsen the issue right? Also I was taking 5g creatine monohydrate and 4g beta alanine daily from 2013 all the way until now, but I haven't used those the last 2 months since I've been missing my daily protein shakes due to the bloating.

Andy316

Just dont do any supplements for the time being. I did all the things you described (Bodybuilding for 10+ years, eating what I though was healthy diet, taking in extra protein and multi vitamins) and suddenly became hypothyroid in early 2018 with TSH of 4.7. Nothing that I tried helped except for cutting out all kinds of supplements, cutting the heavy weights, eating low vitamin A diet and doing moderate aerobic exercises (Walking, Swimming, Yoga). Its a slow gradual process but my TSH now is close to 2.1 which is good improvement. Good luck with your journey to healing.

OP
B

BigChad

Just dont do any supplements for the time being. I did all the things you described (Bodybuilding for 10+ years, eating what I though was healthy diet, taking in extra protein and multi vitamins) and suddenly became hypothyroid in early 2018 with TSH of 4.7. Nothing that I tried helped except for cutting out all kinds of supplements, cutting the heavy weights, eating low vitamin A diet and doing moderate aerobic exercises (Walking, Swimming, Yoga). Its a slow gradual process but my TSH now is close to 2.1 which is good improvement. Good luck with your journey to healing.

my tsh was 0.49 which is weird. the multi i used had 250mcg biotin, but i took the blood test fasted and that multi was consumed over 24 hrs prior to blood test. not sure if the biotin affected the test. what about vitamin k1/k2, d3, and e? did you try those? because ive been reading on here and those are apparently needed to detox estrogen. if you drink whole milk, eat fatty beef, or eat any other PUFAs then you would need the fat solubles for the estrogen decrease right.

from my understanding hypothyroidism other than environmental causes/excess iron can be caused by mineral imbalances like copper/zinc and other deficiencies, and inflammation/cortisol/estrogen

OP
B

BigChad

You talk about eating low PUFA and then supplementing fish oil? How?

i meant in terms of overall grams relative to overall fat intake per day. i havent looked much into fish oil, would it be helpful to take for the anti inflammatory benefits if taken alongside vitamin e?

milkboi

i meant in terms of overall grams relative to overall fat intake per day. i havent looked much into fish oil, would it be helpful to take for the anti inflammatory benefits if taken alongside vitamin e?

Alright.
No, I don’t think it would be helpful. Try aspirin for anti-inflammatory effects. Besides that, I would drop every sup, except magnesium (there are much better forms out there than aspartate btw) and the fat solubles, if they are of high quality and they don’t irritate your stomach.

Good luck

OP
B

BigChad

Alright.
No, I don’t think it would be helpful. Try aspirin for anti-inflammatory effects. Besides that, I would drop every sup, except magnesium (there are much better forms out there than aspartate btw) and the fat solubles, if they are of high quality and they don’t irritate your stomach.

Good luck

no coconut oil or black cumin seed oil either?
would aspirin have the same effects on stored pufa as vitamin e.
i got a codelabs ADK product, no fillers just veggie capsule.
vitamin e, do you know if tocotrienols need to be avoided? i was going to get nutrigold vitamin E gold but due to tocotrienols, may have to get thornes vitamin e
would 200mg of quali c ascorbic acid be worth taking 3x a week? i have no other vitamin c sources besides meat/whole milk

milkboi

no coconut oil or black cumin seed oil either?
would aspirin have the same effects on stored pufa as vitamin e.
i got a codelabs ADK product, no fillers just veggie capsule.
vitamin e, do you know if tocotrienols need to be avoided? i was going to get nutrigold vitamin E gold but due to tocotrienols, may have to get thornes vitamin e
would 200mg of quali c ascorbic acid be worth taking 3x a week? i have no other vitamin c sources besides meat/whole milk

Coconut oil is great, 1g is quite a low quantity tho. Black seed oil I don’t know. But in general seed oils should be avoided. I don’t think Vit C is worth supplementing, just drink OJ (or eat fruit; if you can get really pure C it would be a decent supplement tho). The vitamin E I use has tocotrienols too. If you want to err on the side of caution it would propably be best to choose another source for E.

Andy316

my tsh was 0.49 which is weird. the multi i used had 250mcg biotin, but i took the blood test fasted and that multi was consumed over 24 hrs prior to blood test. not sure if the biotin affected the test. what about vitamin k1/k2, d3, and e? did you try those? because ive been reading on here and those are apparently needed to detox estrogen. if you drink whole milk, eat fatty beef, or eat any other PUFAs then you would need the fat solubles for the estrogen decrease right.

from my understanding hypothyroidism other than environmental causes/excess iron can be caused by mineral imbalances like copper/zinc and other deficiencies, and inflammation/cortisol/estrogen

Your TSH is fine, I dont know why you are thinking of taking so many supplements. Just eat fresh good quality food, get plenty of sunlight for Vit D, do a bit of moderate exercise and get good 8 hours sleep. Supplements are best taken if you are seriously deficient in something, so get yourself tested through hair or blood test and then decide. If its minor deficiency, can always be corrected through food.

OP
B

BigChad

Coconut oil is great, 1g is quite a low quantity tho. Black seed oil I don’t know. But in general seed oils should be avoided. I don’t think Vit C is worth supplementing, just drink OJ (or eat fruit; if you can get really pure C it would be a decent supplement tho). The vitamin E I use has tocotrienols too. If you want to err on the side of caution it would propably be best to choose another source for E.

which vitamin e are you using currently.
i heard quali c is supposedly one of the purest sources, made in scotland. i have the doctors best 1000mg quali c capsules, no filler ingredients. im going to be opening the capsules up and dumping most of it out, to get around 200 to 250mg vitamin c.
do you think thornes ultimate vitamin E, would be okay taken twice a week, while codelabs ADK is taken 4x a week?
the ADK has 1000mcg K1, 1500mcg mk4, 300mcg mk7.
thornes ultimate E has 1000mg mixed tocopherols (5oo IU), of which 335mg is alpha tocopherol.

OP
B

BigChad

Your TSH is fine, I dont know why you are thinking of taking so many supplements. Just eat fresh good quality food, get plenty of sunlight for Vit D, do a bit of moderate exercise and get good 8 hours sleep. Supplements are best taken if you are seriously deficient in something, so get yourself tested through hair or blood test and then decide. If its minor deficiency, can always be corrected through food.

i have autoimmune issues i created through megadosing iodine for a month. lots of thinning hair on the scalp, and balls shrunk 50% of usual size. nipples have been hurting too, this is all without supps. I looked back at how I originally got leaner years ago and I think the fat soluble vitamins are necessary to lower cortisol, inflammation and estrogen especially with eating 85/15 beef and drinking whole milk. also did you stop the heavy lifting due to cortisol issues?

Last edited:

Andy316

i have autoimmune issues i created through megadosing iodine for a month. lots of thinning hair on the scalp, and balls shrunk 50% of usual size. nipples have been hurting too, this is all without supps. I looked back at how I originally got leaner years ago and I think the fat soluble vitamins are necessary to lower cortisol, inflammation and estrogen especially with eating 85/15 beef and drinking whole milk.

Have you done a lab test to check which vitamins you are in excess/deficient in? Are you intolerant to Lactose or Gluten?

OP
B

BigChad

Have you done a lab test to check which vitamins you are in excess/deficient in? Are you intolerant to Lactose or Gluten?

not normally, I've had lactose and gluten all my life. But currently, I seem to have an intolerance to everything, seemingly more so gluten than anything else.
I wasn't able to get a lab test for all vitamins/minerals from my doctor. He said i would need to go to an endocrinologist to get more nutrients tested. he tested my electrolytes, vitamin d, ferritin, and a few other things. vitamin result was 59.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Elevated estrogen and prolactin are involved in autoimmune diseases, especially of the thyroid. A prolactin level of over 25 is classified as hyperprolactinemia. Optimal levels for prolactin should be 4-7.

I would follow @Andy316's advise and also focus on lowering prolactin. Sluggish liver function can also be a cause elevated estrogen and prolactin.
Here's an article on lowering prolactin: Lower prolactin for men: 5 most effective strategies with supplements
Too promote healthy liver function, aspirin, glycine, taurine, coffee (and also caffeine), olive leaf extract, lowering endotoxins, etc, is very beneficial. Also, taking too much supplements with fillers will have an additive negative effect, so it would be best to cut out all supplements, except a few good ones to lower prolactin.

OP
B

BigChad

Elevated estrogen and prolactin are involved in autoimmune diseases, especially of the thyroid. A prolactin level of over 25 is classified as hyperprolactinemia. Optimal levels for prolactin should be 4-7.

I would follow @Andy316's advise and also focus on lowering prolactin. Sluggish liver function can also be a cause elevated estrogen and prolactin.
Here's an article on lowering prolactin: Lower prolactin for men: 5 most effective strategies with supplements
Too promote healthy liver function, aspirin, glycine, taurine, coffee (and also caffeine), olive leaf extract, lowering endotoxins, etc, is very beneficial. Also, taking too much supplements with fillers will have an additive negative effect, so it would be best to cut out all supplements, except a few good ones to lower prolactin.

Regarding taurine i have nutrabios 1000mg taurinr capsules. No fillers just a veggie capsule. I get constipated every time i take them, they also swell my face up and cause some acne. I think i have an issue with sulfur due to pre existing copper deficiency. I had a similar reaction to life extensions selenium product a couple months back. I have taurine and was going to add that in as soon as i can along with 4g carnosyn beta alanine and 5g creatine mono.
Can taurine raise prolactin btw? Every time i took it it seemed to make my nipples sensitive.

I have island nutritions olive leaf extract. 500mg capsules with 25% oleupurin plus 25mg olive fruit extract 20% hydroxytyrosol.

When i take olive leaf it seems to cause bloat, and the next day i seem to lose some hair and have an itchy scalp. I feel like with autoimmune issues could things like olive leaf and ashwaganda increase thyroid inflammation? Thats another one i had in mind to start in a couple months.

I ordered thornes ultimate vitamin e and nutrigold vitamin e. I was planning on doing 1 thorne cap a week and 3 nutrigold caps a week. Nutrigold ones have 40mg mixed tocotrienols though

Hans

Forum Supporter
No, according to the research taurine doesn't increase prolactin, but you as an individual might react weird to it or its effects and get an increase in prolactin.
Olive leaf is anti-estrogenic so it's strange that you would bloat and lose hair on it.

OP
B

BigChad

No, according to the research taurine doesn't increase prolactin, but you as an individual might react weird to it or its effects and get an increase in prolactin.
Olive leaf is anti-estrogenic so it's strange that you would bloat and lose hair on it.

Does olive leaf deplete iron or vitamin d? I think selfhacked or a site mentioned it can affect vitamin d absorption. My guess for olive leaf is that it stimulates the thyroid and could aggrvate it if you're in an autoimmune state. Taurine causing trouble may be because i heavily depleted my copper and possibly iron levels after a year of heavy zinc, vitamin c and molybdenum use. I read copper is involved in breaking down sulfur from the diet.
Do you know if 40mg mixed tocotrienols would be fine if taken alongside 40mg mixed tocopherols.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Does olive leaf deplete iron or vitamin d? I think selfhacked or a site mentioned it can affect vitamin d absorption. My guess for olive leaf is that it stimulates the thyroid and could aggrvate it if you're in an autoimmune state. Taurine causing trouble may be because i heavily depleted my copper and possibly iron levels after a year of heavy zinc, vitamin c and molybdenum use. I read copper is involved in breaking down sulfur from the diet.
Do you know if 40mg mixed tocotrienols would be fine if taken alongside 40mg mixed tocopherols.
I haven't looked at olive leaf in depth yet, but from a quick search I cannot find a relation between olive leaf and vitamin D, but it seems so affect hematological parameters.
Olive leaf tea may have hematological health benefit over green tea. - PubMed - NCBI
"We found that RBC count, hemoglobin, and hematocrit were increased significantly in the OLT (olive leaf tea) group than those of in the GT (green tea) group at 6 and 12 weeks of intervention. Within-group comparison showed that hematocrit was significantly increased in the OLT group at 6 weeks of intervention, whereas RBC count and serum iron was significantly decreased in the GT group at 12 weeks of intervention."

But overall Olive leaf is highly protective, including to the thyroid. I also can't find a study that olive leaf promotes thyroid function, but only protects it.

That vitamin E combo should be fine, but I'd rather use a vitamin E with tocopherols only (preferably high alpha-tocopherol) and at a higher dose. To lower prolactin, you want to use doses of 400-800IU daily.

OP
B

BigChad

I haven't looked at olive leaf in depth yet, but from a quick search I cannot find a relation between olive leaf and vitamin D, but it seems so affect hematological parameters.
Olive leaf tea may have hematological health benefit over green tea. - PubMed - NCBI
"We found that RBC count, hemoglobin, and hematocrit were increased significantly in the OLT (olive leaf tea) group than those of in the GT (green tea) group at 6 and 12 weeks of intervention. Within-group comparison showed that hematocrit was significantly increased in the OLT group at 6 weeks of intervention, whereas RBC count and serum iron was significantly decreased in the GT group at 12 weeks of intervention."

But overall Olive leaf is highly protective, including to the thyroid. I also can't find a study that olive leaf promotes thyroid function, but only protects it.

That vitamin E combo should be fine, but I'd rather use a vitamin E with tocopherols only (preferably high alpha-tocopherol) and at a higher dose. To lower prolactin, you want to use doses of 400-800IU daily.

Thats interesting. What about ashwaganda, that would increase thyroid output right.

I thought ray said he likes gamma tocopherol or mixed tocopherols more than just alpha?

On acgraces website, they mentioned alpha tocopherol inhibits absorption of the tocotrienols.

I was actually going to use nutrigolds 40mg tocopherol/40mg tocotrienol product 3x a week, then thornes ultimate E once a week, which has 1000mg mixed tocopherols with 335mg alpha, 370 gamma and tbe rest a mix of beta delta. It is sourced from soy and other veggie oils but they claim that

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thats interesting. What about ashwaganda, that would increase thyroid output right.
Yes.
I thought ray said he likes gamma tocopherol or mixed tocopherols more than just alpha?
I also don't advise using just one, but a mixed one, such as TocoVit. Alpha-tocopherol prevent lipid peroxidation and also the COX enzymes but doesn't "quench" already formed radicals, whereas gamma-tocopherol quenches them, but don't prevent them from forming. Having both is good.

Not a lot of natural sources are really high in tocotrienols, but rather the tocopherols. I'd try to keep it that way and not supplement excessive trocotrienols, but 40mg three times a week shouldn't be too much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals