Can a high-iodine food (cod) cause anxiety/rapid heartbeat after a period of severe iodine deficiency?

Ippodrom47

My endocrinologist told me my thyroid had apparently increased upon palpation, I then did an ultrasound, which showed extremely high vascularization (blood flow) and that the thyroid itself has grown a bit larger since my last check-up 6 months ago (still normal size, though). I also felt tightness in the neck. My free T3/T4 two weeks ago were between low and average, and TSH 3.5 (normal according to the range, bit still high as earlier it would always be 1-1.5). The thing is, I don't have any autoimmune issues, and my antibodies are totally fine. I somehow managed to avoid almost all sources of iodine for the last several months. No fish, eggs, iodized salt, tyrkey, kelp, nothing at all.
Upon hearing from the doc that it might indeed be due to iodine deficiency, I bought some frozen cod and steamed it, and I have been eating that for a couple days now. My thyroid no longer feels tight but I feel a bit more anxious, jittery and energetic than usual. I don't have any allergies (tested) or histamine issues.
Can it be due to the fact that my thyroid was so deprived of iodine as evidenced by its size and blood flow that upon receiving a pretty "high" dose of it compared to zero, it went a bit crazy? I don't think that iodine from food can lead to any hyperthyroidism so I plan to stick to eating some cod here and there and see how it goes.

InChristAlone

Peat has said that when there is a goiter it can make you feel pretty jittery as it releases the colloid into circulation. It will go away as it returns to normal.

Deborah888

My endocrinologist told me my thyroid had apparently increased upon palpation, I then did an ultrasound, which showed extremely high vascularization (blood flow) and that the thyroid itself has grown a bit larger since my last check-up 6 months ago (still normal size, though). I also felt tightness in the neck. My free T3/T4 two weeks ago were between low and average, and TSH 3.5 (normal according to the range, bit still high as earlier it would always be 1-1.5). The thing is, I don't have any autoimmune issues, and my antibodies are totally fine. I somehow managed to avoid almost all sources of iodine for the last several months. No fish, eggs, iodized salt, tyrkey, kelp, nothing at all.
Upon hearing from the doc that it might indeed be due to iodine deficiency, I bought some frozen cod and steamed it, and I have been eating that for a couple days now. My thyroid no longer feels tight but I feel a bit more anxious, jittery and energetic than usual. I don't have any allergies (tested) or histamine issues.
Can it be due to the fact that my thyroid was so deprived of iodine as evidenced by its size and blood flow that upon receiving a pretty "high" dose of it compared to zero, it went a bit crazy? I don't think that iodine from food can lead to any hyperthyroidism so I plan to stick to eating some cod here and there and see how it goes.
I know that I can't have any "above-normal" iodine (other than iodized sea salt) without going into a thyroid storm, sometimes for WEEKS to MONTHS. It's a thing, especially if you are normally deficient (and have enlarged / goiter), and I have no idea why. It's almost like my body freaks out at the tiniest increase in iodine. A good way to lower the thyroid hormone (if you have indeed been launched into hyperthyroidism, which you should make sure) is with Acetyl-L-Carnitine, btw. Look it up. That's what I'm taking right now because I took a Boswellia supplement that simply increased the uptake of iodine and here I am again with hyper- symptoms (tachycardia, anxiety, hair shedding, eye pain, hot a LOT, etc.). Once I took some Lugol's iodine years ago, (ONE dose, mind you), and I was suffering with thyroid storm for a MONTH afterward. If it's really bad, though, (which it CAN be life-threatening) you need to get to a doctor or even an ER (depending on your heart symptoms) and also get a prescription of methimazol, which lowers the hormone. THEN, after all is said and done, you MIGHT go back to being hypothyroid, so you'd have to watch for that.

Makrosky

It can be, yes. Why did you avoid all sources of iodine in the first place?

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

It can be, yes. Why did you avoid all sources of iodine in the first place?
It wasn't intentional, I'm on a low-vitamin A diet due to severe toxicity in the past, and have been forgetting about fish/sea products. Do I have to continue eating foods with iodine in low amounts?

Makrosky

It wasn't intentional, I'm on a low-vitamin A diet due to severe toxicity in the past, and have been forgetting about fish/sea products. Do I have to continue eating foods with iodine in low amounts?
Iodine is a necessary element. And scarce. That's why they iodized the salt decades ago, so everybody could get at least a minimum amount.

I would restart eating foods with it. Why would it be good to skip a vital element without a medical reason?

RealNeat

Iodine is a necessary element. And scarce. That's why they iodized the salt decades ago, so everybody could get at least a minimum amount.

I would restart eating foods with it. Why would it be good to skip a vital element without a medical reason?
It's seems milk/ dairy and eggs have a sufficient amount without even getting into seafood. Not that I avoid seafood, but just saying. Nori is a good food for iodine without overdoing it. Make some sushi OP, it's super simple and low Vitamin A.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Ok I'll do that, but today on day 4 of consuming fish I'm tired af, almost to the point of exhaustion. Should I push through this anyway? I'll be sure to check my thyroid panel in a couple days.
Nori is a good food for iodine without overdoing it. Make some sushi OP, it's super simple and low Vitamin A.
Seaweed is pretty high in carotene, unfortunately, can't do them at the moment.

Makrosky

Ok I'll do that, but today on day 4 of consuming fish I'm tired af, almost to the point of exhaustion. Should I push through this anyway? I'll be sure to check my thyroid panel in a couple days.

Seaweed is pretty high in carotene, unfortunately, can't do them at the moment.
I am not really sure man, sorry. Never heard before of a situation where a small amount of iodine from dietary sources would cause such exhaustion. But your thyroid was enlarged so there is something going on there. It could be it enlarged itself to catch more iodine or it could be something else.

Maybe something else on the cod?

What about buying some iodized salt and using it slowly and see? That has way less confounding factors than food.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

What about buying some iodized salt and using it slowly and see? That has way less confounding factors than food.

I would love to but potassium iodide irritates my gut and bladder af regardless of the source being iodized salt or supplements.
I guess my thyroid needs time to get used to small amounts of iodine on a regular basis. Another one of my theories is that after receiving a boost from more iodine, it starts converting beta-carotene from my blood (there's lots of that) to vitamin A more rapidly, thus inducing mild retinol toxicity. Vitamin A/beta-carotene overload is a b****, but I'll wait until it's out of my system :)
Thanks heaps for your input!

youngsinatra

4 to 8 oz of pure cranberry juice is my preferred iodine source. (400-800mcg iodine)

Deborah888

Below is what I believe happens if you have goiter due to low iodine. Even though I have normal iodine intake, if I do something that helps uptake it better, then I go into a thyroid storm. My doctor knew right away what was going on the first time it happened.

"Jod-Basedow phenomenon is hyperthyroidism following iodine intake in a person with long term underlying thyroid disease.

Pathology​

Jod-Basedow phenomenon occurs due to either overactivation of the entire thyroid gland or, more commonly, autonomous nodules within the gland after iodine repletion without adequate feedback control from the pituitary gland. This escape from the protective Wolff-Chaikoff effect is called the Jod-Basedow phenomenon. Patients at risk are elderly and those from low iodine intake regions. "

𝙁𝙧𝙪𝙞𝙩~𝙩𝙚𝙚

Forum Supporter
Possibly iodine (and tyrosine) making too much T4 and converting into Reverse T3…do you know what your RT3 level is? If it’s already high, just the little bit of iodine rich foods could be pushing it higher. That can cause hypothyroid-like symptoms. If could be the reason if your T3 is low…or if you’re low in selenium and zinc.

Or the other thing I was thinking is that iodine could be increasing tsh. That’s what it does for a while before it fully saturates the thyroid and flushes out bromide/bromine. Also, causes hypothyroid symptoms. According to the “iodine docs” that could take up to a year, depending on how deficient in iodine one is.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Possibly iodine (and tyrosine) making too much T4 and converting into Reverse T3…do you know what your RT3 level is? If it’s already high, just the little bit of iodine rich foods could be pushing it higher. That can cause hypothyroid-like symptoms. If could be the reason if your T3 is low…or if you’re low in selenium and zinc.

Or the other thing I was thinking is that iodine could be increasing tsh. That’s what it does for a while before it fully saturates the thyroid and flushes out bromide/bromine. Also, causes hypothyroid symptoms. According to the “iodine docs” that could take up to a year, depending on how deficient in iodine one is.
Thanks very much! Do I understand correctly that the best way will be to keep on consuming a bit of iodine-rich foods on a daily basis instead of ditching them again and developing iodine deficiency one more time?))

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

If could be the reason if your T3 is low…or if you’re low in selenium and zinc.
You know, I really though about selenium and ate two Brazil nuts today. I seem to fell much better, thanks very much!

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Hi again everyone! I still can't make heads or tails of my normal iodine intake.
I eat Brazil nuts every other day, dairy for calcium, some meat for zinc and iron, etc.
However, whenever I increase my iodine intake over several days (say, a couple forkfuls of seaweed a day), I get very hypothyroid. I would react to goitrogens, feel cold, fatigued, irritable, insomniac, forgetful, dizzy, lethargic, zero libido and my heart rate would be all over the place. I can't tolerate any beta carotene or foods high in retinol, even eggs. When I drop the high-iodine foods, I feel better within a couple days. I can at least have some eggs and feel like dying. My TSH is 1 - 1.5, free t4 and free t3 are almost always in the middle of the reference range, no antibodies.
The question is - considering I'm now in my 30s, and I definitely didn't eat too much fish, zero seaweed and iodized salt, and very little iodine in general when growing up, can it be that my body is accustomed to this low iodine intake and doesn't want more? I used to have some eggs here and there as a kid, some fish or shrimp maybe once or twice a week, and that's pretty much it.
I'm fit, muscular and overall in good health. I don't overtrain now. When I feel good, I feel really great. When it gets bad, I'm miserable. When I eat zero iodine, I also start to feel bad pretty quickly.
Does it make sense to continue eating low (not zero) iodine and see how it goes? Also, is libido a potent measure of good metabolism? Thanks!

redsun

Hi again everyone! I still can't make heads or tails of my normal iodine intake.
I eat Brazil nuts every other day, dairy for calcium, some meat for zinc and iron, etc.
However, whenever I increase my iodine intake over several days (say, a couple forkfuls of seaweed a day), I get very hypothyroid. I would react to goitrogens, feel cold, fatigued, irritable, insomniac, forgetful, dizzy, lethargic, zero libido and my heart rate would be all over the place. I can't tolerate any beta carotene or foods high in retinol, even eggs. When I drop the high-iodine foods, I feel better within a couple days. I can at least have some eggs and feel like dying. My TSH is 1 - 1.5, free t4 and free t3 are almost always in the middle of the reference range, no antibodies.
The question is - considering I'm now in my 30s, and I definitely didn't eat too much fish, zero seaweed and iodized salt, and very little iodine in general when growing up, can it be that my body is accustomed to this low iodine intake and doesn't want more? I used to have some eggs here and there as a kid, some fish or shrimp maybe once or twice a week, and that's pretty much it.
I'm fit, muscular and overall in good health. I don't overtrain now. When I feel good, I feel really great. When it gets bad, I'm miserable. When I eat zero iodine, I also start to feel bad pretty quickly.
Does it make sense to continue eating low (not zero) iodine and see how it goes? Also, is libido a potent measure of good metabolism? Thanks!
Sudden iodine intake after long term iodine deprivation can cause iodine-induced thyrotoxocosis. Search Jod-Basedow phenomenon. You need to actually check your body temp in reaction to a dose of iodine and see if you actually become hypothyroid or if your temp is still normal or even elevated. Just like when you have a fever you will feel cold, hyperthyroidism can trigger elevated temperature setpoint which can also make you feel cold.

I would recommend getting 100-150mcg of iodine a day minimum but seaweed is insanely high in iodine and for someone like you, you need to not have too low or too high intake. Too high may trigger hyper symptoms. Too low obviously will make you hypo. If normal iodine intakes of this amount still make you feel tired I would blame it on improve function of the body. You can ironically feel less tired when your thyroid hormones are lower as your stress hormone activity is higher. Unless you become hyperthyroid, then its a different story.

Iodine in normal doses usually will lead to elevated heart rate in everyone because of thyroid hormones increasing sympathetic activity. You can be intolerant to anything that raises heart rate if you have low choline intake.

Seeing as you generally avoid eggs as well then likely choline intake is insufficient. Anyone who does not consume specific high choline foods like eggs daily 9 times out of 10 has insufficient choline intake and thus is prone to sympathetic overactivity which not only reflects in elevated heart rate, but also can increase anxiety and nervousness, restlessness and contribute to insomnia.

Eggs may be better to get your iodine as it will also give you a significant amount of choline to increase parasympathetic activity. But this will only help so much if you consume a ton of iodine and its triggering too much thyroid hormone synthesis because of your history of low iodine intake.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Sudden iodine intake after long term iodine deprivation can cause iodine-induced thyrotoxocosis. Search Jod-Basedow phenomenon. You need to actually check your body temp in reaction to a dose of iodine and see if you actually become hypothyroid or if your temp is still normal or even elevated. Just like when you have a fever you will feel cold, hyperthyroidism can trigger elevated temperature setpoint which can also make you feel cold.

I would recommend getting 100-150mcg of iodine a day minimum but seaweed is insanely high in iodine and for someone like you, you need to not have too low or too high intake. Too high may trigger hyper symptoms. Too low obviously will make you hypo. If normal iodine intakes of this amount still make you feel tired I would blame it on improve function of the body. You can ironically feel less tired when your thyroid hormones are lower as your stress hormone activity is higher. Unless you become hyperthyroid, then its a different story.

Iodine in normal doses usually will lead to elevated heart rate in everyone because of thyroid hormones increasing sympathetic activity. You can be intolerant to anything that raises heart rate if you have low choline intake.

Seeing as you generally avoid eggs as well then likely choline intake is insufficient. Anyone who does not consume specific high choline foods like eggs daily 9 times out of 10 has insufficient choline intake and thus is prone to sympathetic overactivity which not only reflects in elevated heart rate, but also can increase anxiety and nervousness, restlessness and contribute to insomnia.

Eggs may be better to get your iodine as it will also give you a significant amount of choline to increase parasympathetic activity. But this will only help so much if you consume a ton of iodine and its triggering too much thyroid hormone synthesis because of your history of low iodine intake.
Thanks for your input! I really appreciate that.
The thing is, my current issues with health in general and metabolism in particular eerily seem to coincide with an increase in iodine consumption a couple years ago when I started to eat more fish, as well as eggs and added dry kelp as a condiment. However, last year I was also talking kelp supplements and checked my thyroid levels - TSH normal, free t4 and free t3 both pretty low and barely making it into the reference range. I thought I was going hyper as I had a high resting heart rate, anxiety, agitation and restlessness but no - if I continued, I'd certainly get hypo, I guess.
Up to age 27 I definitely didn't eat 150 mcg of iodine on a daily basis but I felt awesome, went for long walks and hikes, pumped iron, loved swimming, all without caffeine, etc. As soon as I started increasing my iodine intake, things gradually went bad.
Also, my thyroid size was pretty small back then, around 9-10 cm3, when men can usually have up to 25 or more. Can that be to low iodine while growing up and nothing should be done now?
My endo told me last year that docs don't prescribe iodine to anyone aged 35 or higher even if they are deficient because according to her, a body that's used to a low iodine intake will get screwed up if you suddenly increase it as an adult, hypo or hyper - you can flip a coin.

redsun

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate that.
The thing is, my current issues with health in general and metabolism in particular eerily seem to coincide with an increase in iodine consumption a couple years ago when I started to eat more fish, as well as eggs and added dry kelp as a condiment. However, last year I was also talking kelp supplements and checked my thyroid levels - TSH normal, free t4 and free t3 both pretty low and barely making it into the reference range. I thought I was going hyper as I had a high resting heart rate, anxiety, agitation and restlessness but no - if I continued, I'd certainly get hypo, I guess.
Up to age 27 I definitely didn't eat 150 mcg of iodine on a daily basis but I felt awesome, went for long walks and hikes, pumped iron, loved swimming, all without caffeine, etc. As soon as I started increasing my iodine intake, things gradually went bad.
Also, my thyroid size was pretty small back then, around 9-10 cm3, when men can usually have up to 25 or more. Can that be to low iodine while growing up and nothing should be done now?
My endo told me last year that docs don't prescribe iodine to anyone aged 35 or higher even if they are deficient because according to her, a body that's used to a low iodine intake will get screwed up if you suddenly increase it as an adult, hypo or hyper - you can flip a coin.
Yes but you should still aim for around 100 mcg a day. You should be able to tolerate that but like I already said you should definitely be avoiding high iodine foods like seaweed and possibly fish in general. Iodine itself should not cause any health problems besides potential hypo or hyper reactions in susceptible individuals if you keep the dose low and avoid foods that have ridiculous amounts in it.

Last edited:
OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Yes but you should still aim for around 100 mcg a day. You should be able to tolerate that but like I already said you should definitely be avoiding high iodine foods like seaweed and possibly fish in general. Iodine itself should not cause any health problems besides potential hypo or hyper reactions in susceptible individuals if you keep the dose low and avoid foods that have ridiculous amounts in it.
Thanks very much! Do you happen to know people that can't have high-iodine foods like fish and seafood on a regular basis because it's causing them thyroid issues? I know that pescatarians gorge on those foods and seem to have no adverse reactions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals