Supplements During Pregnancy

member11823

Hey guys and moms,

My wife is recently taking these supplements:

vitamin D 2000 iu per day (trying to reach 40ng/ml)
vitamin k (mk-7) 200 mcg per day
magnesium citrate 200 mg per day
calcium glycinate 400 mg per day
vitamin a 50 000 iu per week

iodine 225 mcg per day
zinc 60 mg per week + copper 6-7 mg per week

Is it enough or she is overdosing on something?
I'm particularly worried about the vitamin a intake (Retinyl Palmitate and Fish Liver Oil)

I need your help.
Thank you!

somuch4food

I'm particularly worried about the vitamin a intake (Retinyl Palmitate and Fish Liver Oil)

Yeah, I would drop that below 10 000 IU especially if eating carotenoids and dairy. She does not need that much and there is a link to high A intake and birth defects.

Personally, I tried avoiding supplements with my second pregnancy. I ended up taking a prenatal since I was feeling tired often. I would recommend a low dose B complex to ensure good energy levels and prevent possible deficiencies. If the supplement does not seem to change anything it could be dropped though.

OP
M

member11823

Thanks for replying.

I forgot to mention that she is taking iron supplement daily because her ferritin was under 23.85 mkg/L, now it's 50 mkg/L while taking Now Foods Iron 36 mg.

Also, should I give her vitamin c?

Last but not least, she is taking all the supplements at night because it's too annoying to spread it through the day. Is there any problem with that?

somuch4food

I forgot to mention that she is taking iron supplement daily because her ferritin was under 23.85 mkg/L, now it's 50 mkg/L while taking Now Foods Iron 36 mg.

The Iron supplement shouldn't be a problem, a similar amount is always added to prenatal formulations.

Last but not least, she is taking all the supplements at night because it's too annoying to spread it through the day. Is there any problem with that?

As long as her sleep is ok and she wakes up refreshed, I don't see a problem. It would be wise to separate magnesium and calcium though since they compete for absorption. Also, I've read somewhere that vitamin D is best taken in the morning since it can mess with melatonin and thus sleep.

About the calcium, this is the product she is taking:
Carlson Labs, Chelated Calcium, 500 mg, 180 Tablets
I see there is Prop 65 - Reproductive harm. Should I be worried?

I can't comment on that, I'm not familiar with this clause, or calcium supplements. Can't she eat dairy? A few slices of cheese, a cup of milk or yogurt, 2 times a day would be equivalent.

OP
M

member11823

Here is what carlson labs responded to me about the warning

Proposition 65 (Prop 65) is a law only in the state of California and some of Carlson’s products must have the warning in order to be sold in California. Under Prop 65, California must provide a list of chemicals that are identified by California to be carcinogens or cause reproductive harm. The list of chemicals originally included about 30 chemicals and has grown to include more than 800 different chemicals. Prop 65 sets Safe Harbor exposure levels for reproductive toxins called “Maximum Allowable Dose Levels” (MADL). The MADL standard for all age groups is 0.5 mcg per day, however, this standard is often 1,000 times lower than the No Observable Adverse Effect Levels (NOAELs) recognized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). You can read more on California’s Prop 65 law on our website by clicking the following link: https://www.carlsonlabs.com/prop-65.html. For the list of chemicals under Prop 65 you can click here.

Some of Carlson’s products require the Prop 65 warning in California because of the possibility that every batch may not meet standards set by Prop 65 due to the components naturally found within their raw materials. Unfortunately, it’s virtually impossible to manufacture certain nutritional supplements that don’t contain trace amounts of certain substances in the Prop 65 list and can sometimes approach the Prop 65 limit. Carlson products with the Prop 65 warning will almost always meet Prop 65 standards, but we have decided to place this warning in the off chance that it does not. Our products will always meet the FDA standards. Carlson products with the Prop 65 warning are safe to consume in all other 49 states. Products that are Not For Sale in California are products that fall within these same circumstances of potentially not meeting Prop 65 due to the potential of raw materials to contain more than the Prop 65 limit for one of the over 800 substances listed. These are products that we are not currently labeled with a Prop 65 warning statement as required by the State of California and as such they are not to be sold in California.

Please be aware that California’s Prop 65 limits were set based on water consumption, meaning the limits are extremely small as we are expected to consume a large volume of water daily. Those same extremely low limits ended up being applied to dietary supplements due to the way the law was written, despite the fact that the volume consumed of any supplement is much less than volume of water consumed daily.

This product is safe to use when used as directed. We recommend consulting with your doctor with any medical concerns you may have.

somuch4food

That's the fun thing with laws.

It seems it's also popular to put: If pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your physician before using this product. Even on some multis that have the same ingredients as prenatals.

Jsaute21

My wife is pregnant as well. Thoughts on cascara? She’s been struggling with constipation.

somuch4food

Laxative are generally not advised during pregnancy. I haven't searched this thoroughly.

Rosi

Hi, I'm 5 week pregnant and during pregnancy i have taken around 12 pills 500mg aspirin. I didnt know that is too high dose. I'm really scarry what to do.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Hi, I'm 5 week pregnant and during pregnancy i have taken around 12 pills 500mg aspirin. I didnt know that is too high dose. I'm really scarry what to do.

I had a fever in the early weeks of my last pregnancy. I took a bit more aspirin (and occasionally Tylenol...) than I usually would. I stopped as soon as I could and my baby came out great!

I think ray peat says aspirin is actually safer to a baby than other pain-killers. Though I try to take less than usual while pregnant, myself!

Stress is hard on a baby, try to let it go! :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals