Fruit And Vegetable Broth

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yesterday I made my first fruit and vegetable broth(inspired by forum member Mittir) and used 1/2 cucumber, 1 potato and one Apple. I used all organic produce and let the chopped produce simmer in 2 cups of filtered water for 45 minutes. What I'm wondering is if it is preferable to peel the produce or leave the skin on? I'm also so wondering if I should be simmering the ingredients for a longer or shorter amount of time. Ideally I should probably add some leafy greens of some sort too the next time I make a fruit and vegetable broth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It tasted wonderful!
Edit:6/1/14 DON'T FORGET SALT

Mittir

Most of the solanine, the toxic substance in potato, is concentrated under the skin.
It is a good idea to peel the potato. I think removing a thick layer of skin is safer.
I vaguely remember that there is something wrong with cucumber peel.
I peel cucumber too. I try not to over cook. I do not want too much pectin or starch
leaching into the broth. I keep boiling for 20-30 minutes ,
so i can use spoon strainer to take out the fruits and vegetables
and let it simmer for sometime to reduce the volume.
Here is a article on potassium and mineral loss in boiling of potato,
cubed and shredded.I could not find the full text.
IIRC In the full text version they boiled potatoes for 30 minute.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 153636.htm
If you add high oxalic acid rich greens like spinach, adding some
baking soda or calcium hydroxide is useful to neutralize oxalic acid.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
Most of the solanine, the toxic substance in potato, is concentrated under the skin.
It is a good idea to peel the potato. I think removing a thick layer of skin is safer.
I vaguely remember that there is something wrong with cucumber peel.
I peel cucumber too. I try not to over cook. I do not want too much pectin or starch
leaching into the broth. I keep boiling for 20-30 minutes ,
so i can use spoon strainer to take out the fruits and vegetables
and let it simmer for sometime to reduce the volume.
Here is a article on potassium and mineral loss in boiling of potato,
cubed and shredded.I could not find the full text.
IIRC In the full text version they boiled potatoes for 30 minute.
If you add high oxalic acid rich greens like spinach, adding some
baking soda or calcium hydroxide is useful to neutralize oxalic acid.
Thank you Mittir! I peeled half of the potato and cucumber because I was unsure. I will definitely make this again with your suggestions in mind. I was very surprised at the wonderful taste. My only regret is that I did not try making this sooner!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
:bump Here's the recipe (sort of).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Aaaaaah now I remember. Thank you, Blossom. :hattip

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You're welcome. YUMMY!

jyb

Are there that many vitamins that resist to boiling temperature for a whole half hour? At least you have potassium, magnesium...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Got the cucumber and apple, forgot the potato. Back to the store I go. :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nice! Looking forward to trying it.

Peata

I have the apple, cuke and potato on the stove. How do you season this? Just lots of salt?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Crap, I didnt even put salt in mine. Duh, Yes salt for sure. I was wondering what it was missing. :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am blaming this one on blossom because she left it out of the instructions. :mrgreen:

Peata

I'm sipping it now. It is different since I'm used to more savory broths, but I like this too. I used 4 c. water to start so maybe it's more diluted than how others make it. But it did reduce.

So this is supposed to have vitamins and minerals similar to OJ?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Its definitely, different.

Hopefully Mittir can remind us what vitamin and minerals it contains. I am sold on it though, picking up more stuff to make it today.

Mittir

This is a quote from the study i posted earlier

Potatoes are a valuable source of mineral nutrients that provide high levels of potassium. Individuals with compromised kidney function, however, must minimize their potassium intake. A new study in the Journal of Food Science explored the effects of leaching and boiling on levels of potassium and other minerals in potatoes and found that boiling cubed or shredded samples reduced potassium levels by 50 percent and 75 percent, respectively.

Shelley Jansky, PhD, and Paul Bethke, PhD, both of the United States Department of Agriculture – Agricultural Research Service and University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Horticulture, utilized samples of potatoes that had been shredded as well as potatoes that had been diced into 1 cm cubes. The samples were then leached or boiled, two treatments that are most likely to have an impact on the mineral content of a consumed product.
The mineral content of the potatoes was drastically reduced by either cubing or shredding them and then boiling. Boiling shredded potatoes reduced levels of zinc, manganese, magnesium, and sulfur by 50 percent. Boiled potato cubes lost 35 percent of their total magnesium and zinc.

I also remember reading other studies that found loss of B vitamins in potato boiling.
Based on this article, we should get about 35-50 percent water soluble vitamins
and minerals after boiling diced potato. I just asked RP if that magical keto acids
would leached into this broth. According to wikipedia ketones are more soluble in water.
But, i do not know how much. Here is a nutritional profile on 100 grams of baked potato without skin.http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2904/2

Edit: Just got reply from Ray Peat on water solubility of keto acids

Ray Peat said:
They are soluble. The potato should be thinly sliced

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Awesome, thank you Mittir. :hattip

Have you ever added in other fruits or veggies? Or just those 3?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals