OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Making matters worse, many mutagens are also carcinogens. Research also shows that irradiation forms volatile toxic chemicals such as benzene and toluene, chemicals known, or suspected, to cause cancer and birth defects. Irradiation also causes stunted growth in lab animals fed irradiated foods.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The Dirty Dozen for 2023

“While strawberries remain at the top of the "Dirty Dozen" list again this year, there are a few new additions to the group—specifically, blueberries and green beans, knocking tomatoes down to No. 13 and celery to No. 15.

"Compared to the last time blueberries and green beans were tested by the USDA, in 2014 and 2016 respectively, the number of samples with detectable pesticide residues has increased," said EWG's Temkin, noting that the chemicals were found on 90 percent of recent samples for both foods.

Here is the full list of fruits and veggies with the most pesticides.

Strawberries
Spinach
Kale, Collard & Mustard Greens
Peaches
Pears
Nectarines
Apples
Grapes
Bell & Hot Peppers
Cherries
Blueberries
Green Beans”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The Clean 15 2023

“According to Temkin, the fruit's dark leathery skin is a big factor. "[Avocados] have a thick outer layer to protect them, which means farmers can use fewer pesticides when growing them," she explains. "On the flip side, delicate produce, grown close to the ground, such as strawberries and spinach, are not as naturally protected and therefore tend to be sprayed with more pesticides."

Nearly 65% of Clean Fifteen samples had no detectable pesticide residues, according to EWG. Just over 10% of Clean Fifteen samples had residues of two or more pesticides, and no sample from the top six items tested positive for more than three pesticides.

Here is the full list of fruits and veggies with the least amount of pesticides.

Avocados
Sweet Corn
Pineapples
Onions
Papayas
Sweet Peas
Asparagus
Honeydew Melons
Kiwi
Cabbage
Mushrooms
Mangoes
Sweet Potatoes
Watermelon
Carrots”

dukesbobby777

Does anyone know if there is a UK version of this? Not sure I can assume that the spraying practices are the same here as they are in the US. Saying that, I don't touch berries, grapes or apples unless they are organic. Even bananas (which I eat in smoothies occasionally, I will go for organic). Oranges (for juicing) are the only thing that I will buy that aren't organic (can't find organic oranges anywhere that aren't too expensive because, with juicing, you need to buy a lot just to juice one quart). Pineapples (on the clean list there, i see), are wonderful. Very cheap for large ones. Lovely.

I rarely buy watermelons anymore after an exchange I had with Peat over email,.and he warned me about the seeds if the melons are eaten too much (even though they taste amazing).

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Does anyone know if there is a UK version of this? Not sure I can assume that the spraying practices are the same here as they are in the US. Saying that, I don't touch berries, grapes or apples unless they are organic. Even bananas (which I eat in smoothies occasionally, I will go for organic). Oranges (for juicing) are the only thing that I will buy that aren't organic (can't find organic oranges anywhere that aren't too expensive because, with juicing, you need to buy a lot just to juice one quart). Pineapples (on the clean list there, i see), are wonderful. Very cheap for large ones. Lovely.

I rarely buy watermelons anymore after an exchange I had with Peat over email,.and he warned me about the seeds if the melons are eaten too much (even though they taste amazing).
I love watermelon and was gardening last weekend to dig myself a good patch to grow watermelon. What did Ray Peat say about the seeds Duke?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

dukesbobby777

I love watermelon and was gardening last weekend to dig myself a good patch to grow watermelon. What did Ray Peat say about the seeds Duke?

Oh, I emailed him about the seeds because when I was eating the watermelons, I found it really hard to avoid eating the seeds as well. I found somewhere (can't remember where) that they might contain significant PUFAs if you just eat the whole watermelon (seeds and all).

When messaging Ray, I asked if the seeds just passed through the body (not absorbed), and were then eliminated the other end, but he said that there have been cases of the seeds lodging in the body, and leading to things like appendicitis in people who ate too many watermelons, over a period of time. I suppose that there are a lot seeds in them.

It was something along those lines anyway. I'll have to dig up the email and post it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh, I emailed him about the seeds because when I was eating the watermelons, I found it really hard to avoid eating the seeds as well. I found somewhere (can't remember where) that they might contain significant PUFAs if you just eat the whole watermelon (seeds and all).

When messaging Ray, I asked if the seeds just passed through the body (not absorbed), and were then eliminated the other end, but he said that there have been cases of the seeds lodging in the body, and leading to things like appendicitis in people who ate too many watermelons, over a period of time. I suppose that there are a lot seeds in them.

It was something along those lines anyway. I'll have to dig up the email and post it.
Oh good to know! Ouch!! Thanks Duke!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Like oats, beans and legumes are frequently sprayed with glyphosate right before harvest. Glyphosate has been reported in pinto beans and in chickpea products such as hummus.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I was about to use this citrus avocado food my husband had bought a few years back, but decided to read the label first. All looked good on the back until I read the side of the box. It said it is “reasonably fit for use”, so I threw it out.

Attachments

• 3E297A3C-A21C-4D79-AADD-B3B17A66DD86.jpeg
    3E297A3C-A21C-4D79-AADD-B3B17A66DD86.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 397E32F4-6F79-40DD-AA72-C940DE33FB3C.jpeg
    397E32F4-6F79-40DD-AA72-C940DE33FB3C.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 16

Lollipop2

I was about to use this citrus avocado food my husband had bought a few years back, but decided to read the label first. All looked good on the back until I read the side of the box. It said it is “reasonably fit for use”, so I threw it out.
What is this exactly? I have never heard of it. How do you use it?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What is this exactly? I have never heard of it. How do you use it?
It is plant food. If you grow any fruit trees you have to feed them and fertilize them, but the stuff they sell is really questionable.

Attachments

• A98E4C04-D885-4FA5-BCBD-8D2062146B80.jpeg
    A98E4C04-D885-4FA5-BCBD-8D2062146B80.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2A34BAA8-5A4D-45AD-8263-45D304783805.jpeg
    2A34BAA8-5A4D-45AD-8263-45D304783805.jpeg
    842.1 KB · Views: 7
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“WHAT HAPPENS WHEN OUR COWS GET SICK?

Unfortunately, most of the conventional, factory-style dairy farms are cut-throat and motivated by the profit incentive. They’re willing to do whatever it takes to generate the most amount of money, such as keeping cows in dark, indoor confined stalls, feeding cows antibiotics to help them produce as much milk as possible, and even forcibly impregnating their cows through artificial insemination methods. They will work a dairy cow until her last straw, and if she falls ill, they’d rather send her to the slaughterhouse than fall a few dollars short.

On our farm, we do the complete opposite. We love all of our cows so much and want them to stay alive for as long as possible. They’re like family to us. We’d rather allow a sick cow to rest and rejuvenate and produce raw milk a little bit slower than lose a beloved family member for sheer profit. When one of our cows becomes sick, we do everything in our power to help her heal quickly. Here are a couple of our natural remedies we practice for our cows:

GARLIC AND VODKA MIX:

Garlic has innate, raw healing properties that have been used as a natural elixir for centuries by the ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Romans and Chinese. Garlic has natural antibiotics that ward off illness and, thus, is a wonderful method to helping our cows build strong immune systems.

MANUKA HONEY

Manuka honey is made in Australia and New Zealand by bees that pollinate the native manuka bush. Proponents claim it can treat wound infections and other conditions. (Honey helps repair damage caused by bacteria, so when our cows have an infection, we rub a dollop of manuka honey on their open wound, and before you know it, they’re good as new.

ESSENTIAL OILS

We started using essential oils for our cows when we came to the conclusion that WE use essential oils for our bodies, so why not use them for our cows, too? After all, our cows are like family to us. We use Oil of Oregano and Oil of Frankincense. We also use Tea Tree Oil to alleviate skin irritations.

Summary: Our cows provide us with delicious, nutrient-dense food, and the least we can do is give them an amazing way to live. One of the greatest delights of our day is to see our cows playing tag in the fields, and watching them run with joy when they move to a new pasture like they’ve never seen grass as green anywhere else. They truly are the happiest cows we’ve ever seen, and it’s a blessing to raise them, care for them, and share the gift of good raw food with the world. “

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Certain cancers are several times more common among corn farmers than among other farmers, presumably because corn "requires" the use of more pesticides. This probably makes corn oil's toxicity greater than it would be otherwise, but even the pure, organically grown material is toxic, because of its intrinsic unsaturation.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Besides their specific defensive toxins and antimetabolites, plants are major sources of allergens. The allergenicity of a food depends on the sensitivity of the individual, as well as on the growth conditions of the plant. The use of extremely toxic pesticides has affected both the crops and the sensitivity of the human population to allergens. Sensitivities induced originally by toxic pesticides used on certain crops can probably persist after the industrial chemical has been eliminated, because the immune system is susceptible to “conditioning.”“ -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals