Gelatin Series 02: Ruby Red Addiction

XPlus

This recipe is part of a series on using gelatin in foods. It builds on the first recipe and offers some variety when it's time for a change.
In case you missed the first recipe, you can find it here:
Gelatin Series 01: Magnesium Gelatin Pudding

Actually, the main reason I came up with this is because I'm trying to get the little sister to eat more Peaty foods.
Kids are picky and the challenge was to make this taste like something she's familiar with - and what's better than strawberry. In fact, strawberries and kids go well together like crackers and cheese, Mike Sisson and fish oil, dairy and carrageenan.

Mind the fancy name, this actually still uses parsley/kale for magnesium and Vitamin K2.
You can use spinach and other greens if you fancy.

- Ripe strawberries are beautiful to eat and but will produce a mellow fruity syrup. I find that this isn't what we exactly are used to but they're less allergenic for those with severe gut issues. Use a bit more lemon if you find them too mellow. They're also hard to find - you're really lucky if you can get some. To get that industry standard taste in candy and ice cream, the slightly unripe or frozen variety at the supermarket will do.
RR7.jpg
- You can adjust the sugar, liquid and gelatin depending on how you like your jelly.
2 tbsp. gelatin powder to 1litre of liquid will make a nice light consistency that easily melts in the mouth. Going up from 3tbsp, you get more protein and a thicker pudding.
- Use more lemon juice to bring the strawberry taste to life but beware of the citric acid if you occasionally run into BP issues.
-The taste of beets can be a little overwhelming - you can use less or skip them altogether.

Ingredients
2 bunches/bags of greens (eg. parsley, kale, spinach)
1-2 medium-size beets
500gm strawberries (~2.5 cups)
750ml to 1litre water to barely cover the greens
1 cup sugar
2-3 tbsp. gelatin powder (non-hydrolized)
Juice of half a lemon
A dash of salt

Directions

1. Wash strawberries, remove stems and cult into halves.

2. Combine strawberries, sugar with 1 cup of water in any pan or pot that is not too wide and not too shallow
RR4.jpg
3. Bring to a boil. Let it boil for 10mins and then simmer over medium heat until strawberries are mushy.

4. Add lemon juice to taste. You can add more sugar now of you wish.

5. Flitre the fibre and the seeds with a fine cheese clothe and a strainer over a bowl. Let gravity do its work for 45-60mins. You should be left with a clear syrup at the bottom of the bowl. You can go ahead and discard of the fibre and the seeds.
RR6.jpg RR9.jpg

6. Wash greens, beets and combine in a saucepan
fresh-beets-and-parsley-fef199.jpg

7. Fill saucepan with water that barely covers the greens. Simmer for 30-45mins.

8. Remove the greens.
Use a strainer to separate greens from broth. Return broth to saucepan.

9. Add gelatin.
Remove about 1 cup of broth and put in the freezer until it cools (about 10-15mins).
The gelatin powder will be easy to mix into the cold solution.
Remove 1 cup of broth from freezer and stir in gelatin powder. Mix for a minute or two until the powder and broth are well combined. There should be no lumps in the mixture.
RR8.jpg
For faster methods, check Gelatin Series 01: Magnesium Gelatin Pudding

10. Pour the mixture into the warm broth inside the pot.
Move the saucepan back on the stove, turn on the heat and stir for few minutes until the gelatin is dissolved. Throw in a dash of salt while you stir.

11. Time for the star of the show. Add few tablespoons of the strawberry syrup and stir. Taste and add more if you wish.
You might want to add more sugar to the broth if you're not using a lot of strawberry syrup.
Add little by little if you wish and taste in between.

RR2.jpg

12. Transfer the broth to a container and refrigerate fore 3-4hrs.
Mine turned too dark because I used two large beets.

RR10.jpg

Sugar, protein, magnesium, K2 and strawberry in all the right places.
Our hearts bleed for the Paleo folks.
RR!1.jpg

RR3.jpg
Enjoy!

Last edited:

moss

Great post XPlus

Thanks for taking the time to write up with pics and all.

I shall give it go with kale and beets/greens as I have some growing. The strawberries are out of season for me now. Sometimes I use Blueberry or Pomegranate juice, have you tried that?
Blueberries and I think most berries are a reasonable source of Vit K (removing seeds as you have illustrated is important).
It got me thinking about Rhubarb and it may be another possible option in the Ruby Red Addiction recipes?
Afterall, Rhubarb a good source of anthraquinones....guaranteed to have good bowels movement if nothing else.

What a lovely brother you are to consider your younger sister. It makes me a little sentimental as it would have been my brothers 57th birthday today. Would you like an extra - yet much, much, much older sister? wouldn't boss ya round....promise!

OP
XPlus

XPlus

Great post XPlus

Thanks for taking the time to write up with pics and all.

I shall give it go with kale and beets/greens as I have some growing. The strawberries are out of season for me now. Sometimes I use Blueberry or Pomegranate juice, have you tried that?
Blueberries and I think most berries are a reasonable source of Vit K (removing seeds as you have illustrated is important).
It got me thinking about Rhubarb and it may be another possible option in the Ruby Red Addiction recipes?
Afterall, Rhubarb a good source of anthraquinones....guaranteed to have good bowels movement if nothing else.

What a lovely brother you are to consider your younger sister. It makes me a little sentimental as it would have been my brothers 57th birthday today. Would you like an extra - yet much, much, much older sister? wouldn't boss ya round....promise!

Pomegranate is an excellent choice. I might add a bit of lemon juice to it if it's pretty sweet. I usually mix blueberry with other berries. I find them a little bland on their own.

I didn't get myself to try Rhubarb before. I always have it mistaken for celery when I come across it at the supermarket. It has in interesting red colour to it. I should probably give it a try sometime.
Since you bring it up, you should probably use it in a pudding and tell us how it turns out.

Of course. Not bossing around would make you a great sister and if you make a lot of desserts you'll be the best.

Heidi

A friend of mine just gave me some rhubarb juice that he made from a juice steamer. The juice was a beautiful color and it made a fantastic jello. I've never used a steam juicer before but it seems like it would make the processing of fruits and vegetables much easier and faster.

Thanks XPlus for your detailed instructions and photos. You have inspired me to expand my jello repertoire, especially once my garden starts to produce abundantly, which it will soon. I love the combination of vegetable and fruits that you are using. And the color from the beets is an especially nice touch.

moss

Pomegranate is an excellent choice. I might add a bit of lemon juice to it if it's pretty sweet. I usually mix blueberry with other berries. I find them a little bland on their own.

I didn't get myself to try Rhubarb before. I always have it mistaken for celery when I come across it at the supermarket. It has in interesting red colour to it. I should probably give it a try sometime.
Since you bring it up, you should probably use it in a pudding and tell us how it turns out.

Agree, blueberries on their own are bland and I never eat blueberries raw. I cook them in sugar and lime juice, you could use lemons but somehow limes seem to bring the flavour out more and the colour is sensational. Only takes a few minutes till the juice bleeds from the fruit, then strain the berries (amazing how many seeds are in blueberries). This is pretty yum over ice cream, though not sure blueberry jelly with fit into the RRA colour wise?
Pomegranate jelly is sensational. I use a really good quality pomegranate juice rather than tackling the seeds. I happen to love jelly.
Heidi's has spurred me on to try juicing rhubarb and make a jelly, will let you know how it goes.

Of course. Not bossing around would make you a great sister and if you make a lot of desserts you'll be the best.

:salute

lindsay

Fantastic!! Thank you so much for the recipe!! Sounds amazing :)

I have tried a wide variety of quick and easy gelatin gummies and found that my favorite is always grape juice. I buy the Wholefoods 365 organic grape juice and use two cups of juice to 1/2 cup of gelatin, simmer and reduce the liquid to my liking and add about a 1/2 a cup of sugar. Then I cut them into squares. Each square (traditional brownie square pan makes 16 squares) has about 6 grams of protein each. Love your idea of utilizing greens for extra vitamins too! That is brilliant! And the strawberry syrup sounds delicious :)

OP
XPlus

XPlus

A friend of mine just gave me some rhubarb juice that he made from a juice steamer. The juice was a beautiful color and it made a fantastic jello. I've never used a steam juicer before but it seems like it would make the processing of fruits and vegetables much easier and faster.

Thanks XPlus for your detailed instructions and photos. You have inspired me to expand my jello repertoire, especially once my garden starts to produce abundantly, which it will soon. I love the combination of vegetable and fruits that you are using. And the color from the beets is an especially nice touch.

That steam juicer is pretty intriguing stuff. I'm pretty serious about juicing fruits and wonder whether the steamer's juice would turn out as nice as the juice from a centrifugal juicer.
I'm definitely gonna give rhubarb a try now since you ladies just endorsed it.

You're welcome.
It gets tedious to eat the same foods over and over again.
Go ahead and try playing with recipe. I hope you like it.

Ma man!

Agree, blueberries on their own are bland and I never eat blueberries raw. I cook them in sugar and lime juice, you could use lemons but somehow limes seem to bring the flavour out more and the colour is sensational. Only takes a few minutes till the juice bleeds from the fruit, then strain the berries (amazing how many seeds are in blueberries). This is pretty yum over ice cream, though not sure blueberry jelly with fit into the RRA colour wise?
Pomegranate jelly is sensational. I use a really good quality pomegranate juice rather than tackling the seeds. I happen to love jelly.
Heidi's has spurred me on to try juicing rhubarb and make a jelly, will let you know how it goes.

Blueberries and lime in jelly - sounds brilliant - how come I never though of that.
That will be more like Violent Violet addiction, though.
I was experimenting with frozen fruits a couple of weeks and and I happen to have some pomegranate syrup in the fridge.Looks like I'm going to turn some of it into jelly tonight.
Yeah. Please go ahead and tell us how it goes.

Fantastic!! Thank you so much for the recipe!! Sounds amazing :)

I have tried a wide variety of quick and easy gelatin gummies and found that my favorite is always grape juice. I buy the Wholefoods 365 organic grape juice and use two cups of juice to 1/2 cup of gelatin, simmer and reduce the liquid to my liking and add about a 1/2 a cup of sugar. Then I cut them into squares. Each square (traditional brownie square pan makes 16 squares) has about 6 grams of protein each. Love your idea of utilizing greens for extra vitamins too! That is brilliant! And the strawberry syrup sounds delicious :)

Welcome.
I always wanted to make some gummies but didn't go into that yet. Thanks for the tip about the grape juice.
Definitely something try.
Maybe you can post the recipe with pics as a the next part of the gelatin series - since I'm too sloppy when it comes to coming up with new ideas.

moss

I was experimenting with frozen fruits a couple of weeks and and I happen to have some pomegranate syrup in the fridge.Looks like I'm going to turn some of it into jelly tonight.
Yeah. Please go ahead and tell us how it goes.

XPlus, wanted to clarify in case you missed this. I used Pomegranate juice not the syrup. I am sure you could use the syrup and not sure how much you would need. I use a cup of the juice if that helps. Good luck.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

XPlus, wanted to clarify in case you missed this. I used Pomegranate juice not the syrup. I am sure you could use the syrup and not sure how much you would need. I use a cup of the juice if that helps. Good luck.
Hmmm...
That might taste different, actually.
Too bad I don't have pomegranate juice handy.
I'll go ahead and experiment with some syrup for now since I'm pretty excited about this whole Pomegranate thing.

moss

That steam juicer is pretty intriguing stuff. I'm pretty serious about juicing fruits and wonder whether the steamer's juice would turn out as nice as the juice from a centrifugal juicer.
I'm definitely gonna give rhubarb a try now since you ladies just endorsed it.

XPlus gave the rhubarb jelly a whirl and it is delicious - your little sister may like it.
I don't have a steam juicer and used a regular juicer and it seems to work fine.

Rhubarb Jelly

Ingredients

1 Desert Spoon of gelatin (I used Great Lakes Beef gelatin non-hydrolyzed)
1 cup of rhubarb juice (about 6-8 large red stalks) have a little more than 1 cup as some of the juice may evaporate in the boiling phase.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup of cold water

Directions
1. Remove leaves from the stalks (discard leaves) and wash stalks.
2. Juice the stalks and remove any scum that gathers on top of the juice.
3. Strain the juice (use a fine strainer to remove any fibrous material) and pour into a saucepan adding the sugar and bring to boil for 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and remove any scum from the liquid.
5. Add gelatin powder to the saucepan and dissolve.
6. Add 1/2 cup of water and stir.
7. Strain for a final time and pour into dish and chill.

You could add a little more sugar and more gelatin depending on taste and consistency preferences. I prefer a more puckering sharp taste and a wobbly jelly.

Any leftover rhubarb juice (in the sugared syrup, not on its own), pop into the fridge as it makes a great rip-snorting shot and gets the digestive juices going.

Friendly reminder - DO NOT juice the rhubarb leaves because they are toxic.

Too bad I don't have pomegranate juice handy.
I'll go ahead and experiment with some syrup for now since I'm pretty excited about this whole Pomegranate thing.
And you may be able to get a pomegranate juice like the one below or similar?
It would be an easier option than using pomegranate syrup for jelly.

Lakewood Juices | 100% Pure Organic and Premium Juices

Pomegranate Jelly

Ingredients

1 cup of Pomegranate juice
1/3 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of boiling water
1 Desert Spoon non-hydrolyzed gelatin

Directions
1. In a bowl add gelatin and sugar and dissolve in boiling water.
2. Add 1 cup of pomegranate juice and stir.
3. Pour into dish and chill.

Enjoy. :yum:

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 43
OP
XPlus

XPlus

That just looks amazing. This should be the Gelatin Series 03.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

@XPlus - how can I comment "Part 04 ain't gon post itself" without being rude?
Hope that you're doing great.
You'll have to demonstrate unprecedented but romantic mansplaining capabilities, young disciple.
Btw, I ran out if ideas pretty quickly due to unpopoular demand. You think if I mix some nootropics and T in my puddings, I'd appeal to the larger, extra hip, portion of the audience?

Last edited:

Amazoniac

You'll have to demonstrate unprecedented but romantic mansplaining capabilities, young disciple.
Btw, I ran out if ideas pretty quickly due to unpopoular demand. You think if I mix some nootropics and T in my puddings, I'd appeal to the larger, extra hip, portion of the audience?
Intrajugular injections of travisone as an emergency measure for lack of ideas. It's powerful, so be careful. Davezord did it and he's now a book author. To become more attractive, just copy everything burtlan does. And avoid as much as possible staring HDD's avatar pic, testosterone drops immediately, it's just too cute.

Last edited: