Polish cheesecake (sernik) higher protein lower fat cheesecake

Fetch

Hi just thought I would post a few recipes I have been using over the last year and a half eating a peatish diet. These recipes aren't "perfect" but I have found them pretty useful and I think they are pretty good as far as peat, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, and pretty tasty.

Polish cheesecake (Sernik)

This is a somewhat traditional cheesecake recipe from Poland it usually has a crust but I just bake it straight in a baking dish with no problems. I am sure some polish forum members may find this sacrileges but it's still really good. I usually make a fruit topping for it also. My favorite is a sauce of Italian or prune plums the basic recipe for my fruit sauce is at the bottom. This recipe makes around 8 servings between me and my wife. I usually have it for breakfast with some milk or coffee and maybe a little fresh fruit or berries. Something to know is this will puff up really big when baking then deflate on cooling so you may want something under it if it over flows.

basic/original recipe:

5 ounces (1 stick + 2 tablespoons) softened butter( can use coconut oil for part)
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
a little grated lemon peel
2 pounds dry curd cheese or twaróg or quark cheese, passed through a sieve or processed in a blender until smooth ( this is around 32oz)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 egg yolks, vanilla and lemon peel until well incorporated. Thoroughly mix in the cheese. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold them into the cheese mixture. Pour filling into prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until center is only slightly jiggly. Let cool completely before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

My mods:
I use quark cheese that I let the whey drain out of over night in a strainer. I use less fat more around 6tbs and part (maybe 2) of those are refined coconut oil. I have also used less sugar down to just one cup (when I was still getting use to all the carbs) and it still turns out fine. If you wanted less PUFA I bet you could get away with less eggs but half an egg yolk doesn't seem bad to me ( I usually eat around 2 eggs a day personally) I sometimes let it brown a little on top I hear this is not traditional but I kind of like it.

Basic fruit sauce:

fruit or berries : I like fresh or frozen prune plums, berries or berry mixes, quince, persimmons, and cherries sweet or pie.
sugar: to taste none if the fruit is sweet enough on it's own but things like quince need some sugar.
gelatine: I use maybe 1/2 TBS just to add a little protein and thicken the sauce a little when cool.
lemon juice: just to taste completely optional

I typically just throw it all in a pot with a little water. Sprinkle on the gelatin when cool and bring to a boil then turn it own to a low simmer and cook it down a little. Some fruit like berries, quinces I strain out and maybe cook down more if I want it thicker. Others plums, cherries, persimmons I just leave in.

Hope someone enjoys this!