Raw Liver Smoothie

4peatssake

So, I know I should eat liver.
I buy it but can only rarely bring myself to eat it.
But since I want to eat it and have been inspired by Mittir’s methods and results, I thought, why not just stick a small piece of raw liver in a smoothie. I love smoothies. I hide lots of things in my smoothies, why not a little piece of raw liver?

And lo and behold, there are recipes for such a thing!

Here is one that I came across and posting as is. My version (not tried yet) is below.

Raw Liver Smoothie
Prep Time:5 Min

Ingredients

1/4 cup yogurt/kefir/raw milk (sub coconut milk if you're on the Whole30)
A small handful berries (blackberries and raspberries work well)
1/2 a banana (I use frozen berries and banana chunks because I like my smoothie semi-frozen)
1 Tbsp frozen liver (either pre-chopped pieces, or just shave off bits with a sharp knife)
2 raw egg yolks (pastured eggs from a source you trust)
1 tsp lemon/lime juice
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
Honey/maple syrup (optional - I do not use any, but some people may prefer a sweeter smoothie)
Instructions

1. Place all the ingredients except egg yolks into a blender and blend until smooth

2. Plop egg yolks in and pulse a couple times to incorporate (ideally egg yolks shouldn't be blended too vigorously since they contain delicate proteins)

3. Enjoy! And be prepared for a surge of energy and feeling incredibly smug and badass at having accomplished drinking RAW LIVER like a boss!

My Version:

½ c plain Greek yogurt
½ c OJ
Pineapple chunks, or other available fresh fruit, peaches, pears etc.
1 TB frozen liver (pre-chopped)
1-2 TB raw honey
1 TSP vanilla
4 Ice cubes

This blogger makes a Raw Liver Smoothie Shot.
An interesting idea too but she does more prep.
The energy boost she reports is very nice.

ravster02

or just man up and cook liver in some butter. not sure I believe that blogger about an energy boost, 'energy for miles' from liver and strawberries? okay then :roll:

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

:lol
It's just a recipe bro.

paper_clips43

+1 for raw liver

I couldn't imagine cooking it. So much better raw. But hey, to each their own.

My version was just raw milk, raw honey, raw liver, and raw eggs. And some instant coffee. Deeelicious :)

EDIT: I do not recommend anyone eat raw meat. Freezing for 2 days up to 2 weeks can kill most pathogens though.

BobbyDukes

paper_clips43 said:
+1 for raw liver

I couldn't imagine cooking it. So much better raw. But hey, to each their own.

My version was just raw milk, raw honey, raw liver, and raw egg yolks. And some instant coffee. Deeelicious :)

What does that bad boy taste like?

paper_clips43

Oh man, like a chocolate coffee milk shake. For some reason the raw liver tastes a little chocolaty to me. Even by itself.

Oh and other things I have added to the smoothie have been vanilla extract, or matcha powder. Just to spice it up. Oh and raw heavy cream as well. I haven't tried fruit yet...

I know its not entirely peaty but when I had 3 or 4 eggs plus the milk and cream. Im looking at a 35 gram protein drink. Maybe more. I can drink two of these a day and feel the metabolism boost. I have to remember to either put lots of honey or eat spoonfuls of honey on the side to counteract the insulin effect from the eggs.

EDIT: almost forgot salt!

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

paper_clips43 said:
Oh man, like a chocolate coffee milk shake. For some reason the raw liver tastes a little chocolaty to me. Even by itself.

Oh and other things I have added to the smoothie have been vanilla extract, or matcha powder. Just to spice it up. Oh and raw heavy cream as well. I haven't tried fruit yet...

I know its not entirely peaty but when I had 3 or 4 eggs plus the milk and cream. Im looking at a 35 gram protein drink. Maybe more. I can drink two of these a day and feel the metabolism boost. I have to remember to either put lots of honey or eat spoonfuls of honey on the side to counteract the insulin effect from the eggs.

EDIT: almost forgot salt!
Thanks for the recipe paperclips!
I'm going to try this first.

:hattip

paper_clips43

Your welcome! Let us know how it goes.

I just had one of these again :) I really find it quite tasty and fulfilling.

p.s. I like to swish it around my mouth. Like violently swish it around. I noticed this has helped the digestibility of milk a great deal.

Lin

Okay, I tried this. Paid $10/lb for fresh grass-fed liver. Cut off a small bit and made the smoothie--not bad tasting... Later felt slightly nauseous, but did manage to get to sleep that night. Next day, diarrhea... Lots of anal irritation and itching. Applied Vasoline. Two days later, seeing little specks, like grains of sand, on the toilet paper. Still itching. Worms?
I should have known better. %#$(**
But really, guys, eating raw meat is not a good idea! Especially if it has not been frozen. I don't recall Peat recommending this either.

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

im_sorry.gif
Lin. Maybe taking activated charcoal and/or flowers of sulfur would help.

Freezing the liver for 14 days is said to kill off all pathogens so I would definitely do that first.
I've not yet been able to source grassfed beef or calf liver so not yet tried this.

Again, sorry for the
Bum_Steer.png

Anal itching is the absolute worse. :(

Lin

Thanks, 4 peats sake, I did take some activated charcoal last night. I'm sort of in denial right now... waiting to see if it goes away, or gets worse. :shootself

paper_clips43

That sucks that happened to you. I definitely don't recommend anyone eat raw meat. I have been doing it for years so I seem to be fine with it, but it is for sure not for the majority.

As 4peatsake mentioned Flower of Sulfur could be a good idea. I mean generally it could be said that everyone should take it at least once a year if not once a month. Peat said it kills all parasites. Also not to mention necessary for collagen production. I.e. good glowing skin.

tara

paper_clips43 said:
As Tara mentioned Flower of Sulfur could be a good idea. I mean generally it could be said that everyone should take it at least once a year if not once a month. Peat said it kills all parasites. Also not to mention necessary for collagen production. I.e. good glowing skin.
I second 4peatssake's flowers of sulphur idea (unless you are already running too acidic yourself).

marcar72

[quote="paper_clips43"For some reason the raw liver tastes a little chocolaty to me. Even by itself.[/quote]

Probably due to the copper and the sort of similar mineral profile. I sometimes switch liver and chocolate out to achieve mostly the same purpose in my diet, but here lately I've been pretty low in vitamin A so the focus is on liver for awhile... :2cents

narouz

Mittir assured me in the strongest terms that chicken liver is "fine."
So I allowed myself to be hypnotized in that regard,
and now I eat chicken liver.
I really like fried chicken liver.
I always found a way to procrastinate and not eat my beef liver until it went bad.

paymanz

how safe is it to eat raw liver?in regard of parasites , virus... infections?!!

Ukall

Well, it's always a risk trying it. I mean, for example here - The Easiest Way to Eat Liver: DIY Liver Pills - they say:

INGREDIENTS
  • Grassfed/pastured liver, thawed if frozen. Use only the highest quality liver.

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Rinse the liver and pat dry. With a sharp knife, carefully cut the liver into pill-sized chunks. Place the pieces, separated, on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Freeze until solid.
  2. Transfer the frozen "liver pills" into an airtight container and store in the freezer. Freeze for 14 days before eating to kill any pathogens in the liver. Swallow a couple of frozen "liver pills" with every meal.
Even regarding freezing, I think it has to be really low temperatures which my freezer can't achieve, for example (something like -14ºC / 6.8ºF . Not sure about this though. My freezer only hits -6ºC / 21ºF).
Also, you never know where the liver comes from unless you know the source personally.

I don't advise eating raw meat as I had toxoplasmosis from underdone meat. Not good for an already stressed liver!(mine)

squanch

Even regarding freezing, I think it has to be really low temperatures which my freezer can't achieve, for example (something like -14ºC / 6.8ºF . Not sure about this though. My freezer only hits -6ºC / 21ºF).

It's -20°C for 7 days for seafood according to the FDA, which is actually achieveable with some freezers at home. No idea how that applies to parasites found in liver though. I wouldn't risk it to be honest, same with raw oysters.

I don't advise eating raw meat as I had toxoplasmosis from underdone meat. Not good for an already stressed liver!(mine)
Exactly.
Risk of infection by the consumption of liver of chickens inoculated with low doses of Toxocara canis eggs
Toxocariasis and Ingestion of Raw Cow Liver in Patients with Eosinophilia
Transmission of Toxocara canis via Ingestion of Raw Cow Liver: A Cross-Sectional Study in Healthy Adults

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals