• FA552C96-ECF7-4B98-97A4-8E565AE62999.jpeg
    FA552C96-ECF7-4B98-97A4-8E565AE62999.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 21

Peatress

I buy organic bananas which I ripen at home - they ripen with brown spots

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I buy organic bananas which I ripen at home - they ripen with brown spots

All bananas ripen with brown spots, it’s the stems that David’s post points out, that makes the difference. I think I may just conduct my own experiment on this one. BTW I am growing my own bananas!

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
That's great that you can grow your own.
So far so good in this 105 degree heat, for the last couple of weeks. It is a challenge growing my own food, that’s for sure, but what a taste difference! Even store bought organics don’t come close to the things I am eating that I have grown. I think the heirloom seeds are part of the difference.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Every year the Environmental Working Group outlines its list of the “dirty dozen.” No, this isn’t a throwback to the 1960’s classic—you know what we’re talking about. This dirty dozen is an annual list of the 12 fruits and vegetables with the highest pesticide residues. The idea is, if you’re not buying organic produce already, you should at least look for the USDA Organic seal on the top 12 offenders. The list varies from year to year but usually thin-skinned produce like peaches, apples and celery make an appearance. Bananas have never been included (that we know of) thanks in part to their thick, peelable skins which, in theory, minimize pesticide exposure. But is this really true? We did our own research and discovered three compelling reasons why organic bananas are worth it.

1. Social impact nightmare. Conventional bananas are sprayed with synthetic fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides. Yes, this is just as bad as it sounds—but not just for you. The workers on many conventional plantations are often exposed to these toxins. This leads to a host of health conditions including skin diseases and kidney failure. A lawsuit was filed just last year against Dole Food Co., and Dow Chemical Co. by more than 1,000 Latin American banana plantation workers for injuries linked to pesticide exposure.
  2. Not so thick skin. But are those chemicals really a big deal if you’re just going to peel the skin anyway? Yes! The toxins used to grow conventional bananas are not just on the outside. They leach into the soil where the fruit is grown. So even when it’s peeled, you’re still ingesting some of them. No thanks. Organic farmers use natural fertilizers like manure and seaweed, and rely on insect predators rather than pesticides to keep pests and weeds at bay.
  3. Better for you, better for the environment. Organic foods are just better for you. Ongoing studies have shown a connection between pesticides in foods and their nutrient content.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
1700966536511.png

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Organic bananas have a reputation for being more flavorful and nutritious than their conventionally-grown counterparts. Organic foods also help to support sustainable farming practices and protect the environment, whereas non-organic food does not have the same practices set in place.

It's important to note that the use of GMO seeds or GMO ingredients is prohibited in organic products due to organic regulations. So, organic farms will never use or grow GMO foods and all organic fruits are Non-GMO.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“We can get toxins from tap water, the air we breathe, and the food we eat. Nowadays pesticides often contain heavy metals and are used frequently on nonorganic foods. Detoxing our bodies from heavy metals and chemicals is something we should think about regularly in order to foster lifelong wellness and health.”

Thanks for this reminder, all along i thought cucumber are part of the clean15. If i will order beef shawarma i will tell the server to not put cucumbers just onions. I have been avoding tomatoes. i dont know if they are a bad as chery tomatoes.

@Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for this reminder, all along i thought cucumber are part of the clean15. If i will order beef shawarma i will tell the server to not put cucumbers just onions. I have been avoding tomatoes. i dont know if they are a bad as chery tomatoes.

@Rinse & rePeat
I love shawarma! Often when I plan to go out I will pack ingredients to make sure my meal experience is all that I want it to be, and that it is healthy too. I have been known to bring my own horseradish, bleu cheese crumbles, coconut oil fried chips, an avocado, my own sauce for shrimp tacos, and lately Mexican Coke and organic olive oil and brewers yeast saltine crackers. I have even brough my own food to parties, usually a thermos of my homemade beef stew, but one time I took a little personal cooler for my homemade shrimp cocktail and other snacks to a party. I have no shame where healthy food is concerned. Pack yourself some organic cucumber slices when you go out out for that schawarma!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Inorganic grain crops, like wheat, are routinely sprayed with Round-up to dry out the crops quicker for early harvesting…

“Roundup conditioning must be well-timed and managed for the greatest value and harvesting efficiency.

• Treat crops only once the Roundup timing has been reached
  • Employ coarse droplets and use low drift nozzles to safeguard margins and hedgerows
  • Adjust sprayer boom so the spray pattern correctly covers the target
  • Spray early in the day to optimise uptake in dry weather
  • Leave crops for the statutory minimum of 14 days before harvesting
  • Delay harvesting for up to 21 days post-treatment in unfavourable weather”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Despite the possible negative aspects of Samsonova's dietary approach, numerous loyal followers remain unconvinced that her eating habits played a role in her passing. Instead, they contend that chemicals present in the fruit she consumed are responsible for her demise.”