Fruit And Vegetable Broth

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I edited and dated the edit to the OP to include salt! :lol:
Mittir has mentioned adding leafy greens and buffering with baking soda. I will defer to Mittir's expertise as the creator of this wonderful recipe! :hattip

Mittir

@Charlie
I tried other vegetables like squash, raw papaya, tomato etc.
But, i mostly stick to cucumber, potato, greens and apple.
Tomato always makes things tastier but i am bit worried about
nightshade family. Idea is to use low calorie fruit-vegetables
with high vitamin and mineral content.

@Blossom
I thought there was no cooking without salt. RP recommended
pinch of baking soda to neutralize oxalic acid in leafy greens.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Mittir, I think that's why I originally forgot to specify the salt. Salting food is like breathing air in my world.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok guys, lets pick on charlie because he forgot the salt. :rolling I always use salt, just was in a hurry when I made it and forgot it. I just now made it with salt and oh my gosh it is so yummy.

Question. Are ya'll boiling it with a lid? I did not use a lid this time, and did a pretty aggressive boil for about 25 minutes and ended up with not much water. Such sadness. :(

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I use a lid. I did kind of feel bad for not mentioning salt. :oops:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok, lid, got it.

No reason to feel bad. :P :error :lol:

Kray

Blossom said:
Yesterday I made my first fruit and vegetable broth(inspired by forum member Mittir) and used 1/2 cucumber, 1 potato and one Apple. I used all organic produce and let the chopped produce simmer in 2 cups of filtered water for 45 minutes. What I'm wondering is if it is preferable to peel the produce or leave the skin on? I'm also so wondering if I should be simmering the ingredients for a longer or shorter amount of time. Ideally I should probably add some leafy greens of some sort too the next time I make a fruit and vegetable broth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It tasted wonderful!
Edit:6/1/14 DON'T FORGET SALT

Hi Blossom (& others),

Survey-- are you still eating the fruit & veggie broth? What are your key ingredients, and how often do you eat this? Thanks :)

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have it three times per week. I would have it more often if I didn't work outside the home! I make it with apple, potato and cucumber or squash. I haven't tried it with greens so far just because I love it so much without the greens. Yummy! I just ran out of vitamin k so I'll probably make it with greens tomorrow.

Kray

Good for you! I'll try it. So, apple, potato, cucumber or squash, some greens........oooh......PASS THE SALT PLEASE! :)

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Enjoy :cheers don't forget a pinch of baking soda if you use greens!

Katty

Tried this as well- Delish! Mine came out tasting like sweet corn. I'm not sure how that happened, but I really enjoyed it :D

Kray

Mittir said:
@Charlie
I tried other vegetables like squash, raw papaya, tomato etc.
But, i mostly stick to cucumber, potato, greens and apple.
Tomato always makes things tastier but i am bit worried about
nightshade family. Idea is to use low calorie fruit-vegetables
with high vitamin and mineral content.

@Blossom
I thought there was no cooking without salt. RP recommended
pinch of baking soda to neutralize oxalic acid in leafy greens.

Mittir,

I'm making the broth and wonder if you bother peeling the apples and squash? Thanks for the baking soda tip, as I'm making mine with some kale.

Thanks-

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
When I asked Mittir that same question I was advised to peel the apple, potato and squash or cucumber.

Kray

Blossom said:
You're welcome!

Update on my first batch:

Used:
1 bunch kale
3 red delicious apples, peeled
3 yellow squash, peeled
1 cucumber, peeled
pinch of baking soda
Salt (and later, more salt)

I liked this overall, but my taste buds seemed not to be sure whether they were to taste sweet or (mildly) salty. So, more salt won the day. Made the broth taste like a very light vegetable broth, sans fat. Which is ok, since I was looking for some of the benefits of kale. I have a large family, so I made enough to fill a couple of 1-qt mason jars. I will add to the lamb/beef stews we usually have during the week, for a little extra flavor.

In the future, I'll probably opt more toward the sweet side and omit the kale, at least, add some potato.

An easier way to incorporate kale, for me anyway, is to add it to liquid ingredients in the Dutch oven or crockpot we use to make soups/stews, then remove it at the end of cooking time.

Thanks again for sharing, and for the tips!

Katty

How long would you say the broth is good for? Not just how long before it spoils, but also how long before some of the vitamins decrease or become "inactive"?
Also, would freezing this broth keep the vitamins and minerals in good shape or would it denature them somehow?

Kray

Katty said:
How long would you say the broth is good for? Not just how long before it spoils, but also how long before some of the vitamins decrease or become "inactive"?
Also, would freezing this broth keep the vitamins and minerals in good shape or would it denature them somehow?

Good questions! I think that's probably hard to say, but it is cooked so if it's stored tight in frig, maybe a week, on freshness/nutrient factor, just a guess. Freezing immediately after cooling might be the best bet if you don't plan on drinking it within a reasonable time, and to keep nutrients (more) stable. :2cents

Katty

Thanks Classicallady!
I only take a couple sips per day, and end up throwing out the rest after a week or so. Seems like such a waste, so I'll start freezing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals