Does Anyone Know Why Babies Have Balding Hairlines?

GorillaHead

Exhibit A

Why do babies start off with hair like this.

Attachments

• F6EF7BA6-B51A-4F70-B5D3-80184E04352B.png
    F6EF7BA6-B51A-4F70-B5D3-80184E04352B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 158

lampofred

Because they are born with an overload of iron and have high prolactin.

Arnau

"Giving birth can be considered a stressful event, not only for the mother, but for the newborn, too. For example, the womb is a hypoxic environment, and allows the fetus to accumulate a large amount of carbon dioxide in its tissues (i.e., the Bohr effect). Upon exiting the womb, the "respiratory advantage" of a high exposure to carbon dioxide would decrease, possibly interfering with the energy-hungry metabolism of the hair follicles.[2]

If correct, this would offer an explanation for the grossly elevated levels of prolactin often seen in neonates of both sexes (i.e., witch's milk).[3,4] As mentioned previously, prolactin is an adaptive "stress" hormone that inhibits mitochondrial energy metabolism,[5] and suppresses thyroid function.[6] In 2013, Vidali et al. referred to thyroid hormones as "mitochondrial hair medicine".[7]" Danny Roddy

The Danny Roddy Weblog

SOMO

Maybe it's the BPA in the baby bottles!

TheSir

They are not receding hairlines, they are advancing hairlines! :D. Hair has low metabolic priority. Most resources of the just born are spent on other, more important processes.

Inaut

I once read that the lymph of the mother dictates the hair of a new born. I am the youngest of three and was born with no hair. My two older brothers have thick dark hair and my hair was fine/light growing up. I think there may be some truth to it for some reason

mangoes

but not all babies have hairlines like that? Some are born with full heads of hair, some can lose that over the first few months, some don’t.

maybe it’s an indicator of future balding patterns. It’d be interesting to see if someone who’s now an adult and balding has a similar hairline to when they were a baby.

DrJ

It doesn't really answer your question, but you might find interesting. Before it was made hidden and JD Moyer was blogging about reversing his hairloss with dumetescense massage, at one point he got 'cradle cap' which babies also get.

Sheik

Maybe the delicate hairs that come in at the front are meant to be a sign of evolutionary fitness. If a person can maintain them into adulthood then they're a good candidate for mating. Infancy is a time of stress. It's when a child becomes strong and gets in the groove of life* that they have resources to waste... that their metabolism becomes very strong. Just a theory.

*(finds stability in their understanding, stable relationships with parents, has routine)

I found the post from JD Moyer about "cradle cap".
Adult Cradle Cap?

After a couple months I noticed some strange brown patches near my hairline. Convinced I had some terrible disease, I was ready to call my doctor. Then I noticed that the brown crud could easily be scraped off, revealing healthy pink skin underneath. My wife Kia said “that looks like cradle cap” — she remembered when our daughter had the same condition as an infant. Nobody is quite sure what cradle cap is — it might be a fungal infection, or it might simply be related to overactive sebaceous glands. Either way, it affects about half of all babies right about when they’re getting their first batch of hair. Over the next few months I would often noticed the “brown crud” would precede new hair growth in a small area that was previously bereft of growth. As it scraped off easily enough and didn’t otherwise bother me (and was soon replaced by new hair growth) I became less alarmed. At a recent checkup I even forgot to ask my doctor about it — so for now it remains a mystery.
How I Thickened My Hair and Advanced My Hairline with a Simple Massage Technique (and no Drugs) - J.D. Moyer

His "regrowth" pictures don't really show much. Just manipulation with angles, lighting, a new haircut, and product.

BrianF

Its down to prolactin which is pretty much why MPB occurs in men. Its not DHT, its prolactin.

RWilly

Interestingly, a fetus gets very hairy in the womb at around 16 weeks gestation. This hair is consumed by the fetus. Premature babies are often born very hairy.

Here's the wikipedia lowdown on it. Lanugo - Wikipedia

GorillaHead

Its down to prolactin which is pretty much why MPB occurs in men. Its not DHT, its prolactin.

i would believe this but ive seen reports of people having low dht snd low prolactin and still losing hair. Granted serum tests arent the same as tissue tests.