Methylene blue makes hair completely white. Why?

yerrag

hydrogen peroxide makes you tired. it acts like free radical. it's the same component your immune system produces when you are stressed or have infection.
If it's a part of your immune system and the body can make use of it, such as in fighting infection, or even in making thyroid, and it is not in excess, it doesn't make you tired. In fact, that it is needed in the production of thyroid makes it contribute to energy production, and saying that it makes one tired is not giving it due credit.

dabdabdab

If it's a part of your immune system and the body can make use of it, such as in fighting infection, or even in making thyroid, and it is not in excess, it doesn't make you tired. In fact, that it is needed in the production of thyroid makes it contribute to energy production, and saying that it makes one tired is not giving it due credit.
But it's what makes your hair white and also destroys a lot of your collagen structures.
In the Ray Peat world, we all discuss how the modern diet has caused imbalance in our bodies and how to balance every substance with special guidelines.
we all live in stressful environments. we have excess of hydrogen peroxide.
No different than nitric acid, which is a stress component and is damned in the Ray peats world, but if you suppress it too much, you will get rare infections.
Ray peat advice on avoiding nitric oxide is about balancing the excess of it caused by modern agricultural toxins etc
similarly Consuming a substance that creates that much of hydrogen peroxide by inhibiting an important enzyme, is not healthy.

yerrag

But it's what makes your hair white and also destroys a lot of your collagen structures.
In the Ray Peat world, we all discuss how the modern diet has caused imbalance in our bodies and how to balance every substance with special guidelines.
we all live in stressful environments. we have excess of hydrogen peroxide.
No different than nitric acid, which is a stress component and is damned in the Ray peats world, but if you suppress it too much, you will get rare infections.
Ray peat advice on avoiding nitric oxide is about balancing the excess of it caused by modern agricultural toxins etc
similarly Consuming a substance that creates that much of hydrogen peroxide by inhibiting an important enzyme, is not healthy.
But your view of hydrogen peroxide fails to account for it being needed by the body in its different processes to maintain its balance. You only look at it from the point of excess. The body produces lots of hydrogen peroxide endogenously, but it does not mean there is excess when the production is well-regulated by a body in balance. And when in excess, the body converts it into water and oxygen using enzymes such as catalase and peroxidase. Most of all, the body knows when to produce it as needed.

This is why I prefer keeping my body healthy and not having any deficiency so that it is firing on all cylinders, and because of that, it is in balance and does a good job of self-regulation.

At that state, why do I worry much about things such as hydrogen peroxide being bad?

Last edited:

dabdabdab

But your view of hydrogen peroxide fails to account for it being needed by the body in its different processes to maintain its balance. You only look at it from the point of excess. The body produces lots of hydrogen peroxide endogenously, but it does not mean there is excess when the production is well-regulated by a body in balance. And when in excess, the body converts it into water and oxygen using enzymes such as catalase and peroxidase. Most of all, the body knows when to produce it as needed.

This is why I prefer keeping my body healthy and not having any deficiency so that it is firing on all cylinders, and because of that, it is in balance and does a good job of self-regulation.

At that state, why do I worry much about things such as hydrogen peroxide being bad?
You misunderstood what I said, the topic is about metylen blue which is a chemical substance that interferes with body's own process of regulating hydrogen peroxide (inhibiting catalase).
if you want to balance your body, you need to stay away from anything that interferes in such a powerful way in its regulation process. and metylen blue is one of those substances.

yerrag

You misunderstood what I said, the topic is about metylen blue which is a chemical substance that interferes with body's own process of regulating hydrogen peroxide (inhibiting catalase).
if you want to balance your body, you need to stay away from anything that interferes in such a powerful way in its regulation process. and metylen blue is one of those substances.
I don't know how I could not misunderstand you when you would say things like hydrogen peroxide makes you tired.

But anyway, methylene blue is a chemical used as a drug and in the right hands it is helpful. Used wrongly it can harm and the harm can be fatal. But that can be said of almost anything though.

dabdabdab

I don't know how I could not misunderstand you when you would say things like hydrogen peroxide makes you tired.

But anyway, methylene blue is a chemical used as a drug and in the right hands it is helpful. Used wrongly it can harm and the harm can be fatal. But that can be said of almost anything though.
if you want to have the last word, it's OK, I understand.
but the simple statements I wrote in the context are very clear.
nitric oxide, serotonin, etc all make you tired but they are natural too!
in the optimal condition of the human body, you should have much less of them than you have now. It's very obvious, I don't know what's so hard about it?

They are stress substances when your body wants to sacrifice some of your health for immediate dangers(which are very likely a product of disregulation of an overactive immune system including your toll like receptors by PUFAs etc)

yerrag

if you want to have the last word, it's OK, I understand.
but the simple statements I wrote in the context are very clear.
nitric oxide, serotonin, etc all make you tired but they are natural too!
in the optimal condition of the human body, you should have much less of them than you have now. It's very obvious, I don't know what's so hard about it?

They are stress substances when your body wants to sacrifice some of your health for immediate dangers(which are very likely a product of disregulation of an overactive immune system including your toll like receptors by PUFAs etc)
My last word for you -

Explain things clearly.

yerrag

anyway, you can have your opinion, I was just trying to help.
we both know what is going on here. you're anonymous, so don't worry about not always being right. it's fine.

Dr. B

what do you think are some of the risks to methylene blue, and excess hydrogen peroxide?
i read somewhere that excess iodine creates hydrogen peroxide, and that excess hydrogen peroxide can damage organs/glands. supposedly this is how the excess iodine can damage the thyroid and other glands?

yerrag

MB is a Mao inhibitor. So excess can be bad in increasing serotonin.

Yes, iodine, and even T3, can increase h202. Selenium and glutathione can help.

Dr. B

MB is a Mao inhibitor. So excess can be bad in increasing serotonin.

Yes, iodine, and even T3, can increase h202. Selenium and glutathione can help.
does h202 cause organ/glandular damage, if in excess, which then raises cortisol?
didnt you mention some tips on glutathione, using precursors for it, cant remember which supplements you mentioned for that

yerrag

does h202 cause organ/glandular damage, if in excess, which then raises cortisol?
didnt you mention some tips on glutathione, using precursors for it, cant remember which supplements you mentioned for that
Yes, hyperthyroidism can cause too much h2O2 to be produced, and if there's not enough glutathione peroxidase to turn it into water, it can destroy tissues. Sometimes, selenium can be the limiting factor in producing that enzyme. When my cats had hyperthyroidism, probably from too much iodine from eating seafood, and visible lumps were showing on their neck, and they had lost appetite, I gave them selenomethionine, and they quickly lost those lumps and their appetite came back.

Glycine, cysteine, and glutamate are the precursors of glutathione. Since cysteine and glutamate are easily found in meat, glycine is often the limiting factor, and that is why Ray Peat recommends gelatin intake. I have a friend who tells me he has gastritis, and I wonder if his "healthy" vegetarian lifestyle predisposes him to being low in glutathione, and when low in this antioxidant, he may be disposed towards ulcers in his stomach, given the harsh acidic environment of the stomach.

Dr. B

Yes, hyperthyroidism can cause too much h2O2 to be produced, and if there's not enough glutathione peroxidase to turn it into water, it can destroy tissues. Sometimes, selenium can be the limiting factor in producing that enzyme. When my cats had hyperthyroidism, probably from too much iodine from eating seafood, and visible lumps were showing on their neck, and they had lost appetite, I gave them selenomethionine, and they quickly lost those lumps and their appetite came back.

Glycine, cysteine, and glutamate are the precursors of glutathione. Since cysteine and glutamate are easily found in meat, glycine is often the limiting factor, and that is why Ray Peat recommends gelatin intake. I have a friend who tells me he has gastritis, and I wonder if his "healthy" vegetarian lifestyle predisposes him to being low in glutathione, and when low in this antioxidant, he may be disposed towards ulcers in his stomach, given the harsh acidic environment of the stomach.
lumps in the neck? do those look like pimples or why are these lumps caused by iodine/hyperthyroidism?
how many cats do you have?

thats very interesting...
so in cases of iodine overdose... or in any case of excess hydrogen peroxide being produced, what are the nutrients/supplements that help? selenomethionine, anything else?
how do you actually heal the damaged tissues, the selenium helps stop creating excess peroxide, but is healing of the tissues done via eating carbs and protein basically? and vitamins nutrients?

also, i think milk has iodine, so if you have a half gallon or full gallon o milk or lots of eggs daily should we be supplementing selenium...

selenium is risky to supplement, apparently the window of benefit is very small, like just 300mcg is the upper safe limit, it used to be 400mcg, was downgraded to 300mcg, and it helps autoimmune type conditions, iodine excess conditions, however it supposedly can also cause hyPOthyroidism and nerve damage if dosed too high?

PeskyPeater

Peroxide generation in RBC [red blood cells] incubated with methylene blue.
Evidence for hydrogen peroxide generation in RBC [red blood cells] incubated with methylene blue was demonstrated by the following experiments. A significant fall in GSH occurred in RBC incubated without glucose in the presence of 0.1 mM methylene blue (Fig. 3). Methylene blue at a concentration of 1 uM did not affect GSH concentrations. GSH concentrations did not fall with either concentration of the drug when the incubations were supplemented with glucose. A marked fall in catalase occurred in NEM-treated cells in the presence of the 0.1 mM methylene blue and aminotriazole (Fig. 4). No fall occurred in the presence of the 1uM concentration.
-source

Please be careful, topical application of MB should not be more than 2.5 uM micromol according to this skin anti-aging study:

Consistent with the ability of MB to stimulate cell proliferation, we noticed that, at the dosage of 0.5 μM, MB significantly increased cell viability in comparison to the PBS control. In addition, the tissues treated with higher concentrations of MB (5.0 μM and 10.0 μM) showed a reduction in cell viability (Fig. 4D). Based on these results, it can be concluded that low concentrations of MB (less than 2.5 μM) neither irritate nor color skin and are therefore safe for long-term use.
-source

So by using too much you disturb the glutathione redox cycle and the increased H2O2 hydrogen peroxide seems to interfere with the production of melanin that colors the hair and resulting damaging of the mitochondria respiration accosiated with hair and its growth cycle and it shedding.

For making a dilution yourself check this example:

Making a Solution

If my calculations are correct, assuming MB has a mol weight of 320 g/mol, you'll only need about 16 to 80 micrograms per 100ml solution, not 4 milligrams :)

Dr. B

-source

Please be careful, topical application of MB should not be more than 2.5 uM micromol according to this skin anti-aging study:

-source

So by using too much you disturb the glutathione redox cycle and the increased H2O2 hydrogen peroxide seems to interfere with the production of melanin that colors the hair and resulting damaging of the mitochondria respiration accosiated with hair and its growth cycle and it shedding.

For making a dilution yourself check this example:

Making a Solution

If my calculations are correct, assuming MB has a mol weight of 320 g/mol, you'll only need about 16 to 80 micrograms per 100ml solution, not 4 milligrams :)

mate do you know which other things increase hydrogen peroxide and which decrease it?

@yerrag this is something regarding methylene blue and hydrogen peroxide

PeskyPeater

mate do you know which other things increase hydrogen peroxide and which decrease it?

@yerrag this is something regarding methylene blue and hydrogen peroxide
Anything that increases estrogens could increase peroxides.
Gelatin rich foods are going to support glutathione. -link
And B-vitamins and citrus flavonoids.

Birdie

What is a good starting dose? My bottle has a dropper top. Should we use 1 drop in water? Can't seem to find dosing info on the forum. I guess everybody knows and it's incidental. I've had a bottle for two months but afraid to use it. Thank you!

Inaut

I have white hairs popping up. My lady friend noticed them the other day. I use mb daily so I guess there’s some truth to this