Methylene blue makes hair completely white. Why?

CheckMate

Hi guys, i have noticed something strange.
When i use MB directly on my hair (4mg) before shower, keeping it 10 minutes, after 2 days i have some white hair all over my head.
And then they start to fall off, all of them.
Anyone knows why this happen?

S-VV

It may be bleaching it. Methylene blue is an oxidizing agent

OP
C

CheckMate

@Hans, in your newsletter you said that you use mb on you hair... This never happened to you?
Thanks ;)

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans, in your newsletter you said that you use mb on you hair... This never happened to you?
Thanks ;)
This has never happened to me, but I'm doing much smaller doses than you. I added about 2mg to my spray bottle, and the bottle lasts about 30-40 days, so I'm getting about 50-67mcg per day maybe even less.

Copper is necessary for hair pigment formation, so either methylene blue depletes copper (upregulation of cytochrome c oxide) or inhibits melanogenesis.
Alternatively, serotonin is known to cause gray/white hair and MB is an MAO-A inhibitor, so perhaps that dose increases serotonin too much for you locally, which then results in whitening.
All theories here.

OP
C

CheckMate

This has never happened to me, but I'm doing much smaller doses than you. I added about 2mg to my spray bottle, and the bottle lasts about 30-40 days, so I'm getting about 50-67mcg per day maybe even less.

Copper is necessary for hair pigment formation, so either methylene blue depletes copper (upregulation of cytochrome c oxide) or inhibits melanogenesis.
Alternatively, serotonin is known to cause gray/white hair and MB is an MAO-A inhibitor, so perhaps that dose increases serotonin too much for you locally, which then results in whitening.
All theories here.
Thanks so much for the reply, i'll keep doing it with lower dosage and report back.

GenericName86

All theories here.

I'd never heard this before but this is extremely interesting. If the white/gray hair was caused by serotonin would it revert back to normal when the serotonin issue is resolved?

OP
C

CheckMate

I'd never heard this before but this is extremely interesting. If the white/gray hair was caused by serotonin would it revert back to normal when the serotonin issue is resolved?
The problem Is that all the white hair after 2/3 days fall out

PolishSun

my friend's hair turns black after using MB internally, otherwise she has natural grayish brown color. But she uses it on of. Maybe MB lowers serotonin.

yerrag

When i use MB directly on my hair (4mg) before shower, keeping it 10 minutes, after 2 days i have some white hair all over my head.

Methylene blue kills catalase-positive bacteria, and that's why it used to be used for UTI conditions (until modern pharma decided it was too cheap and too effective to make a profit off from it).

Without the catalase from such bacteria, hydrogen peroxide isn't turned into water and oxygen. Hydrogen peroxide will then bleach your hair, and it turns white as a result.

That is my guess.

Hans

Forum Supporter
It might since serotonin inhibits proper energy metabolism and if mitochondria start to work better again, hair color should come back.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Methylene blue kills catalase-positive bacteria, and that's why it used to be used for UTI conditions (until modern pharma decided it was too cheap and too effective to make a profit off from it).

Without the catalase from such bacteria, hydrogen peroxide isn't turned into water and oxygen. Hydrogen peroxide will then bleach your hair, and it turns white as a result.

That is my guess.
Interesting theory, where is the excess H2O2 coming from?

yerrag

Interesting theory, where is the excess H2O2 coming from?
That's a good question and a search tells me that:

Going gray is caused by a massive build up of hydrogen peroxide due to wear and tear of our hair follicles. The peroxide winds up blocking the normal synthesis of melanin, our hair's natural pigment.

So, is it possible that around our hair follicles there are commensal bacteria that are catalase-positive, and that these bacteria unbeknownst to us convert hydro peroxide into water and oxygen? And that putting methylene blue killed these bacteria and allowed peroxide to whiten hair and later on destroy the hair?

Hans

Forum Supporter
That's a good question and a search tells me that:

Going gray is caused by a massive build up of hydrogen peroxide due to wear and tear of our hair follicles. The peroxide winds up blocking the normal synthesis of melanin, our hair's natural pigment.

So, is it possible that around our hair follicles there are commensal bacteria that are catalase-positive, and that these bacteria unbeknownst to us convert hydro peroxide into water and oxygen? And that putting methylene blue killed these bacteria and allowed peroxide to whiten hair and later on destroy the hair?
It's possible, but why is there an excess H2O2 on the scalp. H2O2 is produced inside the cell. How does it end up on the scalp? Unless the mitochondria are damaged in a way that allows it to produce an overabundance of H2O2 or at least there is low catalase inside the cell.

yerrag

It's possible, but why is there an excess H2O2 on the scalp. H2O2 is produced inside the cell. How does it end up on the scalp? Unless the mitochondria are damaged in a way that allows it to produce an overabundance of H2O2 or at least there is low catalase inside the cell.
I don't think H2O2 ever ends up on the scalp. The mb seeps inside the follicles and the tissues surrounding the follicles. It may well interfere with the production of catalase enzyme within the cell, which you mention is another possibility aside from killing catalase-positive bacteria.

Sam321

It turns you super saiyan.

dabdabdab

wow, thanks for sharing your experience, now we know why mb causes tiredness in a lot of people

yerrag

wow, thanks for sharing your experience, now we know why mb causes tiredness in a lot of people
I don't know how hair turning gray has a direct connection to mb causing tiredness in people, unless I missed something.

dabdabdab

I don't know how hair turning gray has a direct connection to mb causing tiredness in people, unless I missed something.
hydrogen peroxide makes you tired. it acts like free radical. it's the same component your immune system produces when you are stressed or have infection.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Sorry for my ignorance but might I ask what purpose applying it directly to the scalp achieves?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals