28 Yo Chinese Woman With Thinning Hair

Do you have any of these symptoms?
low back pain, sore joints, dry eyes, ear ringing, depression, ACNE, aged skin, low libido, no sexual orgasm or having excessive sex /masturbation?

are you on SSRIs antidepressants, birth control pills?

yerrag

I eat some rice with more meat than rice, and more veggies than rice.
Is there a reason you're eating more meat than rice? And more veggies than rice? Are you cutting down on carbs? I have come to realize that we should be eating more sugar/carbs than protein and fat. I'm comfortable with the idea of eating 70/10/20 mix of sugar/fat/protein, calorie-wise. If your metabolism is high, there is no problem burning those sugar. If you're burning primarily fat and protein because you lack sugar, your subjecting your body to stress regularly. Chronic stress is a waste of energy. Have enough energy and don't waste it. The energy left after it's used for maintaining your internals can then be used for your externals such as hair and skin.

Too much meat as a lifestyle is a recurring acid load on your system, for which your lungs, liver, and kidneys have to constantly be doing extra work to balance your body's pH. Eat only what you need and not anymore. Meat is high in phosphates, and lean meat is very high in sulfates. Beyond eating for your body's need for amino acids, too much meat increases blood acidity. This acidity works against good tissue oxygenation, and works against energy production.

Most of the veggies I eat are kale and cabbage, steamed.
Cabbage is not good for the thyroid. Kale is very good. Are you eating lots of it? You have to make it a habit to eat plenty of cooked greens. I make myself cooked green leaf salad. I boil water and place the green leaves and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, as Ray Peat suggests this much time, to make sure that the calcium does not bind to the phytates in leaves. Green leaves are very rich in calcium and magnesium. More than 90% of calcium in a plant is in the leaves. I believe such is the case with magnesium as well. The salad is the cooked greens plus vinegar and diced onions and tomatoes. I have to eat plenty to help my daily calcium and magnesium requirements. With calcium, you can find other foods such as milk and cheese and fried anchovies to help meet your 1600mg daily requirement of elemental calcium. But with magnesium, it is practically the only food I can rely on to meet my daily 400 mg reqt of elemental magnesium. If you're not eating this much, it's likely you are deficient in magnesium. You would need to rely on magnesium supplementation, but that is another subject in itself as there are different forms of magnesium supplements.

Unlike most Asians I am not lactose intolerant, but I rarely eat or drink any dairy, only for some goat's milk yoghurt and some Jersey cows whole milk once in a while.
If you can drink milk, I suggest you consider making it part of your food to meet your calcium needs. There are many narratives about why milk is not good for you. I have realized they are not well-founded.

The fruits I eat on a regular basis consist of citrus (grapefruit, clementines, oranges, lemon) and pommegranate depending on the season. Mangos are widely available here but I only eat them infrequently.
It's better to buy a centrifugal fruit juicer, and juice your fruits. Eating them is fine except that you can't eat enough without becoming full of fiber. Fiber isn't good. It's a source of endotoxins. Fruits provide plenty of fructose as well as potassium. I drink about two cups of juice daily. Our daily potassium requirements is immense at 4700mg. This helps meet these needs. You can get plenty of potassium also from sweet potatoes and bananas. If you juice vegetables, you also get plenty of potassium. Meat also has potassium, but if you're going to eat less meat, expect meat to contribute less to your potassium needs.

I do get pork chops and steak at least 3 times a week.
These are high in sulfur-based amino acids such as cysteine and methionine. You don't need these as much after you've stopped growing. There are plenty of other kinds of meat that have more gelatin and collagen. The cheaper cuts of meat are actually better than the expensive ones in this regard. Some ideas - pork leg, pork ears, face, nape. pork kidneys, pork intestine, chicken legs, fish head, oxtail, ox legs and feet. There are plenty sources in Hongkong. Ray Peat says our protein intake can have as high as 50% glycine, an amino acid which is found in gelatin. As we grow older, our intention is not to grow but to maintain and preserve.
I think I am starting to see how I may be deficient in major minerals and nutrient even though the big picture of my diet seems good compared to average Joe here in Asia.
I hate to say that affluence does not guarantee health and may in fact cause health to deteriorate. People who are making ends meet tend to eat more carbs, and eat cheaper vegetables such as leaves, and eat less meat. They could actually be doing better than eating plenty of nice cuts of meat. They believe everything the doctor says, thinking "delegating" their health to the most renowned and highly recommended doctors (by their peers) is the best for what they can very well afford. They get annual exams that give them a false sense of health, and they get subjected to routine x-rays that are standard procedure. They're told their disease is genetic and they're told it is natural to be chronically sick because of their age. They end up being regular patients in hospitals, subjecting to all sorts of invasive procedures before they meet an untimely death. They have no time to read up on Ray Peat's works, and in fact are likely to scoff at his ideas. It's good you have time to read up on Ray Peat. It is a long journey, but well worth it.

Are you saying Keratin is the missing cornerstone of my hairgrowth as I already get plenty of amino acids? If so, where to get it in food?
I don't mean that. I meant to say that you have more than enough food to supply the keratin for your hair, but you are deficient in some substances and these affect your hair growth and health. You have to address these limiting factors.

As far as energy, I understand your theory of having enough of it for the unnecessary body functions like hair growth. I am quite physically and mentally tired on a daily basis. My instants of brain fog are happening quite often.
There are many reasons for that but I think that if you start to address your probable magnesium deficiency, you may find yourself getting more energetic. Do you have access to magnesium bicarbonate water in Hongkong? I've found many issues I had started to go away with therapeutic magnesium intake. Things such as knee pain, lethargy, my "trigger finger-" my middle finger being bent upon waking up and frozen, my seborrheic dermatitis in my scalp. I was taking magnesium chloride, but don't recommend it because while the magnesium helped, the chloride made me weaker. I'm going to complete my DIY magnesium bicarbonate this week, so I can go back to this. I'm not on any magnesium now, and I can already feel my knee pain coming back.

My resting heart beat is around 60 bpm and my temperature is at a constant 36,9 Celcius.
Your heart rate at 60 bpm can stand to be increased. I would like to see mine at around 84 bpm. I don't feel energetic in the 60s. When I get in the mid70s, I feel a lot better.

As for your temperature, how are you taking them? What is your waking temperature and heart rate? 30 minutes after lunch? At 5 pm? It's not constant throughout the day. If you're not taking your temperature correctly, you're losing one vital marker that could really help you.

I understand from this forum that active metabolism is important and that my values may be indicative of too slow a metabolism?
It seems that way.

Good luck RisingSun!

OP
R

RisingSun

Do you have any of these symptoms?
low back pain, sore joints, dry eyes, ear ringing, depression, ACNE, aged skin, low libido, no sexual orgasm or having excessive sex /masturbation?

are you on SSRIs antidepressants, birth control pills?

A lot of lower back pain due to a 10 year old scoliosis.

Sore joints definitely, dry eyes most of the time.

ACNE is not an issue, no dry skin. Libido is good, orgasms are reachable.

Never took anything related to birth control nor any antidepressant

OP
R

RisingSun

Is there a reason you're eating more meat than rice? And more veggies than rice? Are you cutting down on carbs? I have come to realize that we should be eating more sugar/carbs than protein and fat. I'm comfortable with the idea of eating 70/10/20 mix of sugar/fat/protein, calorie-wise. If your metabolism is high, there is no problem burning those sugar. If you're burning primarily fat and protein because you lack sugar, your subjecting your body to stress regularly. Chronic stress is a waste of energy. Have enough energy and don't waste it. The energy left after it's used for maintaining your internals can then be used for your externals such as hair and skin.

Too much meat as a lifestyle is a recurring acid load on your system, for which your lungs, liver, and kidneys have to constantly be doing extra work to balance your body's pH. Eat only what you need and not anymore. Meat is high in phosphates, and lean meat is very high in sulfates. Beyond eating for your body's need for amino acids, too much meat increases blood acidity. This acidity works against good tissue oxygenation, and works against energy production.

Cabbage is not good for the thyroid. Kale is very good. Are you eating lots of it? You have to make it a habit to eat plenty of cooked greens. I make myself cooked green leaf salad. I boil water and place the green leaves and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, as Ray Peat suggests this much time, to make sure that the calcium does not bind to the phytates in leaves. Green leaves are very rich in calcium and magnesium. More than 90% of calcium in a plant is in the leaves. I believe such is the case with magnesium as well. The salad is the cooked greens plus vinegar and diced onions and tomatoes. I have to eat plenty to help my daily calcium and magnesium requirements. With calcium, you can find other foods such as milk and cheese and fried anchovies to help meet your 1600mg daily requirement of elemental calcium. But with magnesium, it is practically the only food I can rely on to meet my daily 400 mg reqt of elemental magnesium. If you're not eating this much, it's likely you are deficient in magnesium. You would need to rely on magnesium supplementation, but that is another subject in itself as there are different forms of magnesium supplements.

If you can drink milk, I suggest you consider making it part of your food to meet your calcium needs. There are many narratives about why milk is not good for you. I have realized they are not well-founded.

It's better to buy a centrifugal fruit juicer, and juice your fruits. Eating them is fine except that you can't eat enough without becoming full of fiber. Fiber isn't good. It's a source of endotoxins. Fruits provide plenty of fructose as well as potassium. I drink about two cups of juice daily. Our daily potassium requirements is immense at 4700mg. This helps meet these needs. You can get plenty of potassium also from sweet potatoes and bananas. If you juice vegetables, you also get plenty of potassium. Meat also has potassium, but if you're going to eat less meat, expect meat to contribute less to your potassium needs.

These are high in sulfur-based amino acids such as cysteine and methionine. You don't need these as much after you've stopped growing. There are plenty of other kinds of meat that have more gelatin and collagen. The cheaper cuts of meat are actually better than the expensive ones in this regard. Some ideas - pork leg, pork ears, face, nape. pork kidneys, pork intestine, chicken legs, fish head, oxtail, ox legs and feet. There are plenty sources in Hongkong. Ray Peat says our protein intake can have as high as 50% glycine, an amino acid which is found in gelatin. As we grow older, our intention is not to grow but to maintain and preserve.

I hate to say that affluence does not guarantee health and may in fact cause health to deteriorate. People who are making ends meet tend to eat more carbs, and eat cheaper vegetables such as leaves, and eat less meat. They could actually be doing better than eating plenty of nice cuts of meat. They believe everything the doctor says, thinking "delegating" their health to the most renowned and highly recommended doctors (by their peers) is the best for what they can very well afford. They get annual exams that give them a false sense of health, and they get subjected to routine x-rays that are standard procedure. They're told their disease is genetic and they're told it is natural to be chronically sick because of their age. They end up being regular patients in hospitals, subjecting to all sorts of invasive procedures before they meet an untimely death. They have no time to read up on Ray Peat's works, and in fact are likely to scoff at his ideas. It's good you have time to read up on Ray Peat. It is a long journey, but well worth it.

I don't mean that. I meant to say that you have more than enough food to supply the keratin for your hair, but you are deficient in some substances and these affect your hair growth and health. You have to address these limiting factors.

There are many reasons for that but I think that if you start to address your probable magnesium deficiency, you may find yourself getting more energetic. Do you have access to magnesium bicarbonate water in Hongkong? I've found many issues I had started to go away with therapeutic magnesium intake. Things such as knee pain, lethargy, my "trigger finger-" my middle finger being bent upon waking up and frozen, my seborrheic dermatitis in my scalp. I was taking magnesium chloride, but don't recommend it because while the magnesium helped, the chloride made me weaker. I'm going to complete my DIY magnesium bicarbonate this week, so I can go back to this. I'm not on any magnesium now, and I can already feel my knee pain coming back.

Your heart rate at 60 bpm can stand to be increased. I would like to see mine at around 84 bpm. I don't feel energetic in the 60s. When I get in the mid70s, I feel a lot better.

As for your temperature, how are you taking them? What is your waking temperature and heart rate? 30 minutes after lunch? At 5 pm? It's not constant throughout the day. If you're not taking your temperature correctly, you're losing one vital marker that could really help you.

It seems that way.

Good luck RisingSun!

Your help is invaluable Yerrag.

I supplement with Magnesium Glycinate, as it seems to be the best absorbed form without GI sides. I get approximately 75% of my daily needs with the pills.

I would be very interested in getting deeper on why "There are many narratives about why milk is not good for you. I have realized they are not well-founded."

Any thread on this forum debunking the usual speech saying that milk is bad for all kinds of reasons?

I have a "gut feeling" I could highly benefit from milk

Possibly hypothyroid / fibromyalgia related

Why is your stress so low now? 9 months ago, did you had a period of high stress?

Do you have values of DHT, hGH, epinephrine, DHEA?

ddjd

start taking methylene blue and getting red light on the scalp - specifically 670nm, 760nm, 830nm - dissociate nitric oxide from cytochrome c oxidase. This will help with raising co2.

and then work on lowering prolactin, cortisol, estrogen and nitric oxide. there's a ton of info on how to do that in this forum

yerrag

Your help is invaluable Yerrag.

Glad to help, RisingSun.

I supplement with Magnesium Glycinate, as it seems to be the best absorbed form without GI sides. I get approximately 75% of my daily needs with the pills.

That's a good one, as it provides glycine as well. I wonder though if it might help for you to increase your dosage from a maintenance dosage to a therapeutic dosage. A maintenance dose is 400 mg elemential magnesium. A therapeutic dose I use is 1200mg. Gradually increase to this dosage, and if it doesn't cause ill effects, I would want to stay at this dosage for 6 months. I'm assuming you are magnesium deficient. And magnesium deficiency would take as long as 6 months of supplementation to be corrected.

I just don't know how this much magnesium glycinate would affect you. I would be more comfortable taking magnesium bicarbonate although glycinate seems pretty tame.

But a word of caution. I notice I get irregular heartbeat when taking magnesium chloride. I'm not sure whether it's the magnesium or the chloride that's causing it. But since I take the magnesium after each meal, and if I accompany it with a banana for potassium, I don't get irregular heartbeat. I use an Omron blood pressure monitor that detects irregular heart rate.

I would be very interested in getting deeper on why "There are many narratives about why milk is not good for you. I have realized they are not well-founded."

I've read before of people saying milk is only for babies, and these people deride this practice saying humans are the only species that drink milk even in adulthood Also read that milk is rich in calcium, and calcium is bad and will cause calcification. But it is the context that's important. Healthy people with healthy metabolism don't have problem with calcium intake. It's the unhealthy people with poor thyroid, and with acid-base disorders, and with mineral deficiencies (such as magnesium) that would have such problems. Don't avoid milk. Fix issues that would make the calcium in milk a problem. There's also this thing about Chinese being lactose intolerant. Starting with small amount of milk intake, and gradually increasing it, according to Ray Peat, can make Chinese tolerant of milk. Hush though, milk prices will double once all Chinese become tolerant of lactose.

tara

It's better to buy a centrifugal fruit juicer, and juice your fruits.
Hey Yerrag, I think you've been giving lots of good advice, but on this I've got a different take. I think it depends. If you get gut distress from the fibre, excessive gas, slow transit, signs of excess endotoxin, or having trouble eating enough because of the time it takes to chew the fruit, then juicing can be useful. But there are also many people who seem to fare well eating fruit as well as drinking juice, and it has some advantages too, for some people. So I'd say do either or both, whichever works and serves you.

Here's one of Ray Peat's articles on milk:
Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

OP
R

RisingSun

Hey Yerrag, I think you've been giving lots of good advice, but on this I've got a different take. I think it depends. If you get gut distress from the fibre, excessive gas, slow transit, signs of excess endotoxin, or having trouble eating enough because of the time it takes to chew the fruit, then juicing can be useful. But there are also many people who seem to fare well eating fruit as well as drinking juice, and it has some advantages too, for some people. So I'd say do either or both, whichever works and serves you.

Here's one of Ray Peat's articles on milk:
Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

Thank you so much on the milk part!

yerrag

You're right about fruits. Unlike vegetables, fruits are easily eaten.

However, eating fruits actually help with bowel movement. But one thing nice about juicing and avoiding fiber, apart from reducing endotoxin load, is that it really puts your gut to the test, as far as bowel movement is concerned. If bowel movement still comes naturally, that is a sign that there is enough energy in the large intestines to effect bowel movement. This peristalsis should be automatic, as bowel movement should be. Most people rely on fiber for ease in bowel movement, which shouldn't be the case.

I could be wrong, but I believe that this is a good test if there is enough magnesium in the body. Certainly it precludes other energy-affecting factors. If you have made sure you have all these other factors checked off, and still you find it difficult to have natural bowel movement, it could very well be a lack of magnesium. Everyone is just in a state of unknowing as to whether he is deficient in magnesium stores. The real good test for magnesium is expensive, and hardly anyone bothers. People just cross their fingers and hope they're not deficient. But when people reflect on the chances that they could be deficient, it comes out that they are likely deficient. Just because the foods they eat all their life really don't count for much in terms of magnesium. So how could they not be deficient? This is why magnesium is taken to aid in bowel movement oftentimes.

Sanjutsi

Curious @RisingSun, How is your situation now :): I'm also batteling diffuse hair loss and tried almost every peat trick in the book. For me trough trial and error it seems heavily related to methylation snips, food sensitivities, mal-nutrition, digestion, internal / enviromental stress and hormonal balance.

OP
R

RisingSun

Still pretty bad shedding and quite a few silver hair.
Raw milk doesn’t seem to help.
I’m not following a ray peat diet as I get sever candida flare ups on it. I am on a raw-ish paleo diet rather.

TeslaFan

A few people have reported good results in the hair department with Folinic acid.

Waynish

Hi everyone,

I am a 28 years old Chinese woman living in Hong Kong, and I started losing my hair around 9 months ago to the point that some white scalp patches have now become obvious.

It is also thinning. It used to be full and voluminous, it now drops straight on my face.

I'm estimating my hair fall rate at 100-150 hair/day based on what I find in the shower and on my apartment floor.

I am not following a Peat diet, mostly eating everything except for gluten and dairy. The reason I post on this forum is because members on here seem a LOT more common-sensed, pragmatic and knowledgeable than anywhere else.

My blood test shows:

- estrogens mid range
- testosterone mid range
- thyroid optimal
- vitamin D mid range
- WBC in range - low
- RBC mid range
- Sodium in range - low
- Potassium mid range

I didn't test for iron or ferritin: should I assume they are in range as my RBC is in range?

Started supplementing with Magnesium glycinate and Biotin 8 months ago, drinking mineral water instead of tap water 5 months ago. My hair is still falling at the same rate.

I get adequate sun exposure at least once a week.

My sleep is ok, however I wake up feeling tired most of the time.

My stress level is as low as can be

I exercise moderately 3 times a week, mostly yoga.

I have noticed that it is VERY frequent for Asian women in China and Hong Kong to lose their hair from a young age, to have a visible scalp, and to be severely bald above 50 years old.

None of the Caucasian women living in Hong Kong seem to have this problem.

I don't know where to start to address this issue:

- is it diet related?
- location related?
- genetic?

Please help me explore all avenues, it is really hard for a woman to see her most precious asset disappear.

You live in HK and you haven't been to a TCM practitioner, or you have?
If not, then I can recommend one there.

OP
R

RisingSun

You live in HK and you haven't been to a TCM practitioner, or you have?
If not, then I can recommend one there.

Thank you for your offer.

My family has been seeing one of the most famous one for 3 regenerations.
I have seen him countless times.
Trust me, they are useless. Hong kong wouldn’t be one of the countries with so physically-challenged looking elders otherwise.
All of them have arthritis and severe brain capacity impairement

yerrag

Thank you for your offer.

My family has been seeing one of the most famous one for 3 regenerations.
I have seen him countless times.
Trust me, they are useless. Hong kong wouldn’t be one of the countries with so physically-challenged looking elders otherwise.
All of them have arthritis and severe brain capacity impairement
I hear a popping sound - the TCM bubble just popped?

yerrag

@RisingSun just curious do you have these values:

serum uric acid
random urine uric acid

Mine are:

serum uric acid - 381; reference values are 131-458 umol/dL, which may look good, but optimal values per Dicken Weatherby are 208-351 (male) and 178-327 (female);
random urine uric acid - 18.16 mg/dL; reference values are 44-109.50; no optimal values available (Weatherby's urine analysis book ordered and on the way)

It's just a guess but I think that due to low excretion of uric acid through urine (which explains my high serum uric acid; above optimal levels), the uric acid is being excreted through the skin and the scalp. This may be affecting hair growth. I read in another thread that lactic acid activates stem cells of hair follicles; could uric acid be antagonizing these same stem cells?

I thought of this as I was looking into why my serum uric levels are high in relation to my high blood pressure. It has to do with having hypoxia in my kidneys, which would end up with lactic acid being produced as a result of using the anaerobic glycolytic pathway for energy. The lactic acid is said to antagonize renal uric acid excretion. I think both of them together causes uric acid to turn into a uric acid metabolite. This makes for crystallization, which makes the kidneys unable to excrete uric acid, and for lactic acid to be made unavailable for stem cell activation of hair follicles.

This uric acid angle also ties in with your observation of people in HK growing old becoming arthritic. The high intake of purine-rich foods leads to high uric acid levels. Living long lives because of the protection given by uric acid, but also suffering from arthritic conditions brought about by high uric acid crystallizing from an increasing acidic body.

p.s. It may very well be that as we get more Peaty, we would get to eat more foods that increase our serum uric acid - from fructose in fruits and from high-purine foods as in internal organs. That is all fine if our kidneys are able to excrete uric acid well. But how many people test their urinary uric acid levels? It's a low-cost test. It only cost me P395, or about $8.

If we know this, we can for a time work on improving our kidneys so it can return to excreting uric acid in normal, larger amounts. Succeeding in that, we can go back to such Peaty foods.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals