I Didn't Wash My Hair For 32 Days. Here Is What Happened(no Shampoo)

Birdie

Just a warning. I tried shampooing less frequently and developed scalp problems. I thought I was clever, but it's taken a long time to improve the scalp.
Fewer shampoos aren't for everybody. Now days I mix water about 6:1 with shampoo and that works for my hair. I shampoo maybe every 4 days or 3 days. I haven't used deodorant for maybe 30 plus years. Used rubbing alcohol for years. Now, with slower metabolism (darn) in aging, I don't need even need alcohol.

sladerunner69

I still use good ol' selsun blue. Plenty of endocrine disruptors in there, I'm sure. Strangely it makes my hair look thick and fantastic, and I think it prevents my receding hairline as well.

BrianF

I found that since using Estroban and eating a lot more liver my scalp and hair just didn't get that greasy at all. Id go seven days without washing and it was no more greasy than day 2. The only reason id wash was simply because my hair sticks out at my rear corner bits from the way i sleep and although i can flatten them when i wake up, my barnet gets a little unruly after a week of this. Vitamin A seems a great regulator of sebum. I wish id have known this 25 years ago.

OP
L

Luckytype

Im doing maybe 100g of beef liver a week, should I try something like 150? More?

I do sweat heavy a couple times a week from the gym but I know Peat isnt a huge on HEAVY vit A consumption

Runenight201

Old thread but I'll throw in my two experience with nopoo.

I've tried it twice. Once about a year and a half ago and currently on it right now (haven't shampoo'd in over 2 weeks, prior to that shampoo'd and conditioned every day).

When I first did nopoo, I was deep into an elimination diet, had huge amounts of stress, terrible acne, and generally didn't know wtf I was doing. I tried it for a month, and my hair was disgustingly oily the whole time. Eventually quit because I had enough with the oil.

Now, with studying a Peatarian framework, I decided to give nopoo a try again. The first couple days were really gross. There were times when I would wash my hair with only water and I could feel so much grease in my hair. Washing my hair resulted in a lot of shedding, and didn't alleviate much of the grease.

Then I started ingesting coconut oil. And not a trivial amount. I'm talking 5-6 tablespoons a day. I decided to go hard in the paint. If these Philippine cultures were consuming up to 50% of their diet with coconut, I'm going to follow suit.

I swear to God, I don't know what it is about ingesting this oil, but it's only been a couple days, and my shedding has drastically decreased, my hair has this really healthy, non greasy shine to it. It combs over so easily and stays in place by itself. My acne has also decreased a significant amount.

I think the lauric acid with its antimicrobial effect is helping with my gut, on top of the coconut oil stimulating my metabolism and allowing for increased glucose oxidation , so I have more energy to drive to my hair, skin, and nails. I purposely haven't been cutting my nails as another indicator of my health, and right now they're fairly long and looking white and strong af.

I really think coconut oil is a powerful addition to the diet. I'm deciding to give up a liquid only peat diet because I'm just peeing far too much and I don't think that can be good. Adding coconut oil to rice and potatos is super easy and actually pretty tasty. On top of that, I just take a tablespoon and down it followed by OJ. I don't really mind it. Try it out in higher amounts, I think it could only help.

Sobieski

Old thread but I'll throw in my two experience with nopoo.

I've tried it twice. Once about a year and a half ago and currently on it right now (haven't shampoo'd in over 2 weeks, prior to that shampoo'd and conditioned every day).

When I first did nopoo, I was deep into an elimination diet, had huge amounts of stress, terrible acne, and generally didn't know wtf I was doing. I tried it for a month, and my hair was disgustingly oily the whole time. Eventually quit because I had enough with the oil.

Now, with studying a Peatarian framework, I decided to give nopoo a try again. The first couple days were really gross. There were times when I would wash my hair with only water and I could feel so much grease in my hair. Washing my hair resulted in a lot of shedding, and didn't alleviate much of the grease.

Then I started ingesting coconut oil. And not a trivial amount. I'm talking 5-6 tablespoons a day. I decided to go hard in the paint. If these Philippine cultures were consuming up to 50% of their diet with coconut, I'm going to follow suit.

I swear to God, I don't know what it is about ingesting this oil, but it's only been a couple days, and my shedding has drastically decreased, my hair has this really healthy, non greasy shine to it. It combs over so easily and stays in place by itself. My acne has also decreased a significant amount.

I think the lauric acid with its antimicrobial effect is helping with my gut, on top of the coconut oil stimulating my metabolism and allowing for increased glucose oxidation , so I have more energy to drive to my hair, skin, and nails. I purposely haven't been cutting my nails as another indicator of my health, and right now they're fairly long and looking white and strong af.

I really think coconut oil is a powerful addition to the diet. I'm deciding to give up a liquid only peat diet because I'm just peeing far too much and I don't think that can be good. Adding coconut oil to rice and potatos is super easy and actually pretty tasty. On top of that, I just take a tablespoon and down it followed by OJ. I don't really mind it. Try it out in higher amounts, I think it could only help.

To add to that, Coconut Oil is allegedly a potent natural DHT inhibitor.

Runenight201

Do u think coconut oil topically for 1 hour before washing lower DHT in the scalp and not so much systemically?

I’m prerry sure the whole DHT theory of balding is bunk.

That being said, Coconut oil used topically will probably make your hair look dank

Sobieski

I’m prerry sure the whole DHT theory of balding is bunk.

That being said, Coconut oil used topically will probably make your hair look dank

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think that is the case? Since Peating my health as improved in pretty much everyway, my androgens are way higher (blood tests) more energy and focus etc but my rate of hairloss (mpb) has increased. When I was hypogonadal my hairloss was at a standstill for around 18 months.

Runenight201

Danny Roddy explains it here:

Also just watch all his videos. He could be wrong but it makes more sense than most dude's opinions on hairloss forums chalking it up to genetics and seriously altering their manhood by taking fin/dustasteride.

MPB in my opinion is probably a combination of low energy production, calcification of the scalp, and inflammation.

How are your prolactin, cortisol, and thyroid levels?

OP
L

Luckytype

Ok I lied. I said never again but im on day 47. Big difference in grease and oil after no gym for 3 months now. Still oily but at least 55-60 percent less nasty stuff.

Worth noting ive been using cypro at like .5 to 1mg a day, sometimes more when i wanna sleep longer. Also using lisuride here and there at like 75-125mcg a couple times a week, usually just after sex or if i feel like I want to try to make my day 3% more effective.

Danny Roddy explains it here:

Also just watch all his videos. He could be wrong but it makes more sense than most dude's opinions on hairloss forums chalking it up to genetics and seriously altering their manhood by taking fin/dustasteride.

MPB in my opinion is probably a combination of low energy production, calcification of the scalp, and inflammation.

How are your prolactin, cortisol, and thyroid levels?

In january found out my prolactin is high(18, male range ends at 17), cortisol was a good normal diurnal curve, tsh almost at 3, t3 and 4 bottom of their ranges.

I agree as well with your opinion on mpb causes

Let me start by saying i eased into no shampoo over the last 6 months. I started with every 3 days for a week progressing to every 7-10 days. After a couple months moved to 2 weeks then 3 around month 5 went for it. I would still shower and during the month and rinse my head in either a tub of water or under the shower. I wore my hair just tied back in like a stupid topknot/manbun thing(yea i know, only choice here short of ripping lots out).

When i did shampoo I used Acure brand stuff, very safe albeit still a shampoo. My gf is wonderful and lives a minimal chemical life as well. She is environmentally aware and knows the dangers of many endocrine disruptors.

Never again will I go that long without washing. Ever. I cant say i recommend it either past a week or so.

Background: Long story short im a former bodybuilding addict that started shedding hairabout 15 months ago eventually my metabolism taking a complete crap. (Hair Loss, Grogginess And More - Where The Heck Do I Start?) As of april, much of my blood work is improved but symptoms havent let up.
Reason: Basically decided to do this because im just sick of seeing hair in the drain. Its just plain annoying. I did a hair count for quite a while and after 6months off from gym it reduced so I figured perhaps this would help further.

Most recent thread 5 Days 5 Different Results - Why?

Old bloodwork- Interesting To Find This Out - What Do You Think?

Since this, my tsh is down to 1.36, test is normal mid-high 600s - i think i posted in the 5 day thread some updates. Many things are improved, i think.

Other info: Im of primarily sicilian/italian and german/austrian descent. I have light olive skin, lighter hair that is fine(cut in an undercut coif) but i have oily skin(but clear and bright, thank god) no issues with acne, only oily. People close to me call it olive oil. My hair itsef is wonderful, shiny, healthy, it just sheds like a mofo.

My diet is hybrid peatish, low pufa, many carbs, sat fats and lean proteins.

I went from 6 days a week for 3-4 hours at the gym to 6 months no gym. In july i started doing just 2 days a week for 1.25 hours. I sweat quite a bit

Ive been massaging and scalp stretching since sept of last year. I dont intend to stop. It improved my hairline but obviously the shedding is hormonal.

So the big day. In reality my hair was so nasty I couldnt take it and it was completely unworkable for styling. Im talking snarly, tangled and greasy, the middle of my head(the area very impacted by the shedding) was like curling forward in these big curls. It was ratty and gross. The hair that was falling (or what was being caught and not snarled up) has some sort of material on the end. This may or may not be what people call a sebum plug.

Now when it came time to wash, i showered then plugged the tub, i soaked my head in the water to realize my hair was so caked in a very wax like sebum. Ok no big deal ill soak here for 10minutes then ill just double shampoo it, its gotta be less oily since it hasnt had to replace lost oil.

Wrong. My scalp was so clogged with this waxy nasty sebum that even soaking my head in the tub(laying there floating and trying to fingerwash the oil) before shampoo that it literally felt like dried heavy-laden hairspray over styling clay but underwater. After 3 shampoos i get out and run a wide comb through it, should be good - well its tangled and strangely can see a crust of skin cells and perhaps this stuff being kinda worked up my roots. Im pretty pissed off at this point. Its all tangly and waxy still.

Drain tub, refill, three more shampoos. Im talking big foamy lifting shampoo. And rinsing is done by swishing my head in this huge tub to allow all the cleaned material to float out and away. Finally after 20 minutes of actual shampoo time, its clean. The water is slightly murky. Mind you this is a second full tub of water.

Little detangle spray, a little comb, good to let dry.

I have to be honest, maybe i dont have the scalp environment to do noshampoo but maybe 2weeks is about the limit now. I had basically zero adaptation in my scalp after 6 months of transitioning to the month long with out. Never again.

TL;DR
-Shedding hair, fixing health, sick of seeing hair
-Transitioned into this over 6 months
-Went 32 days no shampoo but with rinsing
-Disgusting waxy, hair gross, tons of chit on scalp
-Never again
I’ve been doing no shampoo for almost 2 years with no problems.

sladerunner69

Let me start by saying i eased into no shampoo over the last 6 months. I started with every 3 days for a week progressing to every 7-10 days. After a couple months moved to 2 weeks then 3 around month 5 went for it. I would still shower and during the month and rinse my head in either a tub of water or under the shower. I wore my hair just tied back in like a stupid topknot/manbun thing(yea i know, only choice here short of ripping lots out).

When i did shampoo I used Acure brand stuff, very safe albeit still a shampoo. My gf is wonderful and lives a minimal chemical life as well. She is environmentally aware and knows the dangers of many endocrine disruptors.

Never again will I go that long without washing. Ever. I cant say i recommend it either past a week or so.

Background: Long story short im a former bodybuilding addict that started shedding hairabout 15 months ago eventually my metabolism taking a complete crap. (Hair Loss, Grogginess And More - Where The Heck Do I Start?) As of april, much of my blood work is improved but symptoms havent let up.
Reason: Basically decided to do this because im just sick of seeing hair in the drain. Its just plain annoying. I did a hair count for quite a while and after 6months off from gym it reduced so I figured perhaps this would help further.

Most recent thread 5 Days 5 Different Results - Why?

Old bloodwork- Interesting To Find This Out - What Do You Think?

Since this, my tsh is down to 1.36, test is normal mid-high 600s - i think i posted in the 5 day thread some updates. Many things are improved, i think.

Other info: Im of primarily sicilian/italian and german/austrian descent. I have light olive skin, lighter hair that is fine(cut in an undercut coif) but i have oily skin(but clear and bright, thank god) no issues with acne, only oily. People close to me call it olive oil. My hair itsef is wonderful, shiny, healthy, it just sheds like a mofo.

My diet is hybrid peatish, low pufa, many carbs, sat fats and lean proteins.

I went from 6 days a week for 3-4 hours at the gym to 6 months no gym. In july i started doing just 2 days a week for 1.25 hours. I sweat quite a bit

Ive been massaging and scalp stretching since sept of last year. I dont intend to stop. It improved my hairline but obviously the shedding is hormonal.

So the big day. In reality my hair was so nasty I couldnt take it and it was completely unworkable for styling. Im talking snarly, tangled and greasy, the middle of my head(the area very impacted by the shedding) was like curling forward in these big curls. It was ratty and gross. The hair that was falling (or what was being caught and not snarled up) has some sort of material on the end. This may or may not be what people call a sebum plug.

Now when it came time to wash, i showered then plugged the tub, i soaked my head in the water to realize my hair was so caked in a very wax like sebum. Ok no big deal ill soak here for 10minutes then ill just double shampoo it, its gotta be less oily since it hasnt had to replace lost oil.

Wrong. My scalp was so clogged with this waxy nasty sebum that even soaking my head in the tub(laying there floating and trying to fingerwash the oil) before shampoo that it literally felt like dried heavy-laden hairspray over styling clay but underwater. After 3 shampoos i get out and run a wide comb through it, should be good - well its tangled and strangely can see a crust of skin cells and perhaps this stuff being kinda worked up my roots. Im pretty pissed off at this point. Its all tangly and waxy still.

Drain tub, refill, three more shampoos. Im talking big foamy lifting shampoo. And rinsing is done by swishing my head in this huge tub to allow all the cleaned material to float out and away. Finally after 20 minutes of actual shampoo time, its clean. The water is slightly murky. Mind you this is a second full tub of water.

Little detangle spray, a little comb, good to let dry.

I have to be honest, maybe i dont have the scalp environment to do noshampoo but maybe 2weeks is about the limit now. I had basically zero adaptation in my scalp after 6 months of transitioning to the month long with out. Never again.

TL;DR
-Shedding hair, fixing health, sick of seeing hair
-Transitioned into this over 6 months
-Went 32 days no shampoo but with rinsing
-Disgusting waxy, hair gross, tons of chit on scalp
-Never again

I haven't had a shower in 6 weeks and feel fine, my hair looks and feels totally normal.

I didn't wash my hair for a year at a time. Lately I've started using baking soda once a week. It was fine before this, but I think that the oils are kind of unhygienic with furniture over a long period of time.

No ill effects whatever either way.

lampofred

If I don't eat PUFA my hair doesn't get greasy or smelly no longer how long I don't shampoo. But just one meal of PUFA makes it oily again as I found out last week unfortunately.