Why Does Finasteride Work For Some People?

Not trying to be disrespectful here, but how, exactly, can you make conclusions about T3's efficacy from a rodent study that doesn't come close to replicating the extraordinarily complex in-vivo pathophysiology that underlies MPB? Extrapolating low quality, non-specific data to make specific conclusions isn't the way science works.

T3 upregulates protein synthesis, so of course it increases the rate of hair growth in a shaven rat — that doesn't mean said hair growth can be extrapolated across to MPB.

Just my 2c.
This. Most of the studies these guys rely on are on rats. Haidut posted a study showing DHT regrew hair in rats...great find a study that DHT does that in humans.

Also, has anyone tried stacking finasteride with progesterone to remove some of the side effects?

johnwester130

Finasteride raises Testosterone by 50% in hair follicles

Could this be an unknown reason why it works?

OP
hominidnumber9
I think at the end of the day, some kind of derma needling program is need to have any hope of reversing significant hair-loss. I've experimented with it myself and it causes pretty significant shedding. It can by psychologically difficult to stick with it and and cycle treatments over time. If you're a man and you can wear really short hair you probably have a better foundation to work with, since the shedding won't be a factor in styling.

johnwester130

Go to the wikipedia page of finasteride

study 69 and 70

also this

Go to the wikipedia page of finasteride

study 69 and 70

also this

Honestly, I was going to start a thread with every dude that is premature bald seems to have low testosterone and need TRT:

596ccf31abc1c828528b4c9a

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

younger-vs-older-joe-rogan

Has anyone ever met someone they know that has naturally high testosterone levels but is completely bald at a young age? It seems to be the exact opposite premature bald == low T (potentially just DHT holding things together)

johnwester130

Has anyone ever met someone they know that has naturally high testosterone levels but is completely bald at a young age? It seems to be the exact opposite premature bald == low T (potentially just DHT holding things together)

a lot of people on hairlosstalk have noticed that they began balding when their testosterone began to drop

It makes sense

Testosterone is the hormone of youth and virility. when you lose it, things go bad.

Shackles

Back when I started balding excessively I was very depressed, had a tremor and no will to do anything (almost), I also could not wake up easily in the morning no matter the time or how long I slept prior. I was also chubby or moreso skinny fat, like some people call it.
My jaws are also fairly bad and the fact that I had a lot of extractions did not favour me either. My normal bite is an overbite where my ramus (the part of the jaw that goes down in front of the ears) is cutting into my throat. I slightly jut my jaw and feel better that way somehow but it needs conscious effort. Usually I do not bite at all, e.g. jaw is hanging loose but mouth closed.
I understand that many would think that is off-topic but in my opinion it is relevant to my balding as well.

I also have made some blood tests during that time where I balded quickly. Here are some markers some might think to be relevant.
Summer 2019
TSH 2.18 mIU/l
fT3 3.8 ng/l
fT4 1.4 ng/dl
Iron 115 ug/dl
Ferritin 127 mg/dl
Hemoglobin 15.9 g/dl
Cholesterol 42 mg/dl
HDL 42 mg/dl
LDL 82 mg/dl
25-OH-Vitamin D 54 nmol/l (I never went outside during that time weirdly enough)
FSH 0.5 IU/l
LH 3.6 IU/l
Prolactin 306 mIU/l
total Testosterone 4.64 ug/l
ACE 41 U/l
(fasting) Glucose 103 mg/dl

I was on a daily caloric deficit back then, or rather, my basal metabolic rate was very low. I was not aware really of how much and what I ate but I remember that if I ate something then it was wheat based products or meat. I also isolated myself and had huge problems with plaque. I lost so much hair, I had to wipe my table few times a day,
I have stopped my balding nearly completely and I am actually regrowing all of it again. You can still see a bit of discrepancy between my vertex and the non-balding areas around it but I am certain that I have resolved it by summer.
I can give you more stats of my blood test per request

a lot of people on hairlosstalk have noticed that they began balding when their testosterone began to drop

It makes sense

Testosterone is the hormone of youth and virility. when you lose it, things go bad.
Yes...even when I was in college I was on finasteride therefore I had extremely low DHT levels but I also suspect I had low test levels (had trouble keeping weight off and just low energy / depressed) and subsequently, I kept losing hair yet I was following the medical dogma that DHT is the cause of my woes...even the doctor was like "I know it's frustrating..." as I continued to recede.

This is another case of the medical establishment doing things as they're told without accounting for any nuanced thoughts. They after all, are amazing at memorizing things (basically all med school)...

johnwester130

Yes...even when I was in college I was on finasteride therefore I had extremely low DHT levels but I also suspect I had low test levels (had trouble keeping weight off and just low energy / depressed) and subsequently, I kept losing hair yet I was following the medical dogma that DHT is the cause of my woes...even the doctor was like "I know it's frustrating..." as I continued to recede.

This is another case of the medical establishment doing things as they're told without accounting for any nuanced thoughts. They after all, are amazing at memorizing things (basically all med school)...

It gets stranger

Anavar helped regrow this man's hair