Why Does Finasteride Work For Some People?

Ableton

Ive thought about this myself. As u get older gonads get worse performance. Adrenaline compensates and boom hairloss. Doesnt explain castrates tho
It’s why bald old people often have nicer features/leanness in their faces than old nw1 people

MitchMitchell

i think you are right, however I think the whole cascade can also start in young people not yet hypothyroid who undereat and thus chronically spike their adrenaline
The hypothyroidism accompanies the whole thing years later
That would basically be my story
I think as an 18yr old it’s entirely possible to have hypogonadism and good thyroid function still. Results in great masculine, lean faces with the dhea. Lean, increasingly stiff bodies.
Stunted growth relative to own potential if running on adrenaline started before reaching it

Yes because low blood sugar triggers adrenaline in and of itself. Although diabetes complications include hair loss and Metformin doesn’t have it as a listed frequent side effect it seems that the opposite is true in real life.

my gf’s cousin is 18yo and has beautiful thick hair yet is receding already. His mom has high TSH so his family doc checked his, and he’s already over 2.5. Me personally I had extremely slow hair loss in spite of low free T and E2, with TSH around 1.5 always (well, on 3 bloodworks during my 20s). After recently screwing up - or is it getting older? Tsh got over 2.5 for the first time ever and kaboooom noticeable thinning.

So yeah it could just be a matter of not eating enough for young guns, skipping too many meals is also true for downtown wealthy skinny fat guys: lack of calories, excess stress, high cortisol, “central obesity”, hair loss.

I don’t know how real adrenal fatigue is but I think it’s clear that years of elevated cortisol and/or adrenaline should lead to hypothyroidism, hypogonadism, more dhea > DHT, the whole cascade.

Ableton

Yes because low blood sugar triggers adrenaline in and of itself. Although diabetes complications include hair loss and Metformin doesn’t have it as a listed frequent side effect it seems that the opposite is true in real life.

my gf’s cousin is 18yo and has beautiful thick hair yet is receding already. His mom has high TSH so his family doc checked his, and he’s already over 2.5. Me personally I had extremely slow hair loss in spite of low free T and E2, with TSH around 1.5 always (well, on 3 bloodworks during my 20s). After recently screwing up - or is it getting older? Tsh got over 2.5 for the first time ever and kaboooom noticeable thinning.

So yeah it could just be a matter of not eating enough for young guns, skipping too many meals is also true for downtown wealthy skinny fat guys: lack of calories, excess stress, high cortisol, “central obesity”, hair loss.

I don’t know how real adrenal fatigue is but I think it’s clear that years of elevated cortisol and/or adrenaline should lead to hypothyroidism, hypogonadism, more dhea > DHT, the whole cascade.

yeah it took me like 6-8 years of that to crash into hypothyroidism and start diffuse thinning on top of recession
calories fixes that (how I found this forum)
at least I have a hypermasculine face now because of all the excessive dht and dhea lol
To get out of this state I had to eat up to 4500 calories for months, and stop any cardio.

this whole cascade is also the reason small guys (relative to their potential) are balding more often. adrenaline stunts growth. I'm 6'0, my brother is like 6'4, still has hair despite being quite a bit older, but much more feminine features + fat distribution.

for some young guns delaying hair loss is as simple as eating more. Quite frankly, I do not even believe the quality of food is nearly as important as eating enough is. The problem is that those kids are usually already nw 2-3, and depend on their leanness and excess androgens to be attractive. With nw 2-3 you are quickly getting invisible if you lose your redeeming qualities relative to your peers (more masculine features), which you will do, if you shut your adrenals down. More bloat, more fat, lowered overall androgen production. I do not believe that gonadals generally get close to the production that overactive adrenals do, especially after shutting them down.

I wish my parents ******* force fed me in my teens.

what I do not understand is how some super lean long distance runners are able to keep their hair. that doesn't make sense to me. maybe their superior anaerobic cellular metabolism makes up for all the adrenaline. idk

Last edited:

Ableton

interestingly, the identical twin on the right was diagnosed with hypogonadism

when are adrenals kicking in for hypogonadism, and when are they not? mostly age related?

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 93

GorillaHead

interestingly, the identical twin on the right was diagnosed with hypogonadism

when are adrenals kicking in for hypogonadism, and when are they not? mostly age related?
Woah.

Well that destroys the whole hypogonadism theory cause hairloss.

mrchibbs

Hypogonadism is just a consequence of the stress-driven hypothyroidism, which triggers constantly high estrogen, serotonin, prolactin etc.

And castrates are no exception, as castration doesn't merely remove gonadal androgens, but also crashes serotonin, prolactin and estrogen levels.

I recommend re-reading Hair like a fox (2013). Danny Roddy really did an amazing work and that book is as valid today as it was 7 years ago.

Ableton

Hypogonadism is just a consequence of the stress-driven hypothyroidism, which triggers constantly high estrogen, serotonin, prolactin etc.

And castrates are no exception, as castration doesn't merely remove gonadal androgens, but also crashes serotonin, prolactin and estrogen levels.

I recommend re-reading Hair like a fox (2013). Danny Roddy really did an amazing work and that book is as valid today as it was 7 years ago.

so twin on the right has high e, serotonin and prolactin and still keeps hair because he has little androgens? how would roddy explain that? how did this man get hypogonadism then?

I said it before, many men keeping their hair are not keeping it because they are more healthy but because they lack some sort of androgenic response (like adrenals kicking in for hypogonadism)

MitchMitchell

Woah.

Well that destroys the whole hypogonadism theory cause hairloss.

how so? They’re both balding aggressively. You gotta be kidding me if you think right twin has good hair.

left twin may not be “diagnosed” but that could be because he’s slimmer = restricting calories and that’s saving his total T (higher shbg). Not eating enough = more hair loss

MitchMitchell

My standards for “no hair loss” is someone like Evo Morales. 60yo, clearly has never lost a hair in his life. Interestingly claimed chicken causes baldness and becoming gay lol. Estrogens in chicken much?

TONS of older gents like him with similar hair quality.

mrchibbs

how so? They’re both balding aggressively. You gotta be kidding me if you think right twin has good hair.

left twin may not be “diagnosed” but that could be because he’s slimmer = restricting calories and that’s saving his total T (higher shbg). Not eating enough = more hair loss

There's definitely a transgenerational or hereditary element which can predispose brothers to hair loss. I agree with you, the medical diagnosis is irrelevant to me, the guy on the left has probably been less stressed, which explains the difference in hirsutism and slightly better hair on the scalp.

mrchibbs

My standards for “no hair loss” is someone like Evo Morales. 60yo, clearly has never lost a hair in his life. Interestingly claimed chicken causes baldness and becoming gay lol. Estrogens in chicken much?

And even Evo Morales probably has lost 5-10% of his hair, but because he had so much to begin with it doesn't show at all. Everyone loses hair, at different rates.

Ableton

wtf is all this bloat on top of his 0,001 % facial development? his face is extremely confusing to me paired with that hairline.
what is this stuff behind his masseters? lol

Attachments

• rsz_evo_morales.jpg
    rsz_evo_morales.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 51

MitchMitchell

People say he’s been wearing a wig the whole time. It’s funny because Morales said baldness is a common European sickness.

I’d accept examples of non balding persons if they’re stable NW3 at most last 50yo. Looking at recent world leaders, former Mexican president Peña Nieto had great mature hairline + hair quality + androgenic features.

MitchMitchell

wtf is all this bloat on top of his 0,001 % facial development? his face is extremely confusing to me paired with that hairline.
what is this stuff behind his masseters? lol

of course you’re picking up the worst possible photo of a 60yo.

great way to argue a point.

but yeah that twin on the right up there? Awesome hair lmao. Totally disproves it all.

Ableton

of course you’re picking up the worst possible photo of a 60yo.

great way to argue a point.

but yeah that twin on the right up there? Awesome hair lmao. Totally disproves it all.
????
what point did you try to argue with evo morales?
what point did I make pointing out an extremely weird feature (the fat or whatever behind his masseter, yes it's less obvious in other pictures but still extremely noticable, i have NEVER seen that before on anyone) paired with hair of a teenager? I was pointing out a correlation, nothing more.

The twin I posted is 1. a twin, and 2. has an actualy medical diagnosis. Are you morales doctor?

you are beginning to piss me off. you just hijacked the cortisol thread as well, just claiming cortisol is bad for hair, without backing your statement up with any kind of theory like @lampofred

mrchibbs

????
what point did you try to argue with evo morales?
what point did I make pointing out an extremely weird feature (the fat or whatever behind his masseter, yes it's less obvious in other pictures but still extremely noticable, i have NEVER seen that before on anyone) paired with hair of a teenager? I was pointing out a correlation, nothing more.

The twin I posted is 1. a twin, and 2. has an actualy medical diagnosis. Are you morales doctor?

you are beginning to piss me off. you just hijacked the cortisol thread as well, just claiming cortisol is bad for hair, without backing your statement up with any kind of theory like @lampofred

Cortisol is pretty unquestionably bad for hair, when chronically elevated. It stops the growth of the hair follicle altogether. I suggest you dig into the late Travis posts on hair loss. He makes a clear case which plenty of references.

No one is hijacking any thread.

OP
hominidnumber9
Want to give a quick update here since I said I would. It has been about three months since I started this new protocol and I have noticed an overall improvement in my hair. The thinning up top definitely seems to be trending in the right direction. I'm going to give it another three months before making any sweeping judgments, but I really think I'm on the right path here. If I get the results that I want I will do a full right-up with details about what I've been doing. I'll have before and after photos too.

Also, big shout out to mrchibbs who recommended MCT oil as a replacement for coconut oil as a carrier oil. It's way way better to work with overall and I can leave it sit on my scalp for a long time without feeling like it's doing me a disservice.

OP
hominidnumber9
So it has now been 7 months and I don't have significant results to write home about. My hair might be a little bit better, maybe, but it's really hard to tell. It definitely hasn't gotten worse, that I can say. Part of me wonders if you need a similar time frame to finasteride, I.E. 1 year plus, to see results. Might pack this experiment up for now. I have some fin sitting around from last year, never touched. I know pretty much everyone posting here is against the drug, but I've tried literally every other non-traditional approach with limited results and it fully leaves the system in 90 days. Going to trial 3mg a week and see what happen. I'm 35, **** it.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals