Copper And Zinc Foods?

Motif

what would you recommend ?

My zinc and copper is always low. I guess from simply not eating enough of it

Waremu

Oysters for zinc (good for copper too), lobster (one of the best copper sources), beef liver (also one of the best copper sources), purple sweet potatoes (decent copper source). I had to eat zinc foods every day, at every meal, and at least one high copper meal out of those meals per day to get my zinc and copper up. Usually 1 or 2 oysters with each of my 4-5 meals per day, and liver for my Vitamin A and copper at one of my meals works well. I do not eat very much red meat at the moment, but mostly cod with 1-2 oysters for my protein in 2-3 of my 4-5 meals, and usually milk for 1-2 of those meals to keep calcium up. That is what I would recommend to get zinc and copper up. There are other foods with zinc and copper, but many of them have too much iron or PUFA compared to foods like oysters or lobster, or liver. The oysters will also give plenty of Vitamin B-12.

OP
M

Motif

Thanks! Dark chocolate is something that I will add too. Did anything change for you when zinc and copper was up again ?

RWilly

I'm enjoying oatmeal with brown sugar right now. One serving of oatmeal covers 35% of the RDA of copper, and 36% of RDA for zinc. I have a cup of tea or coffee with milk to block the non-heme iron in oatmeal.

Last edited:
OP
M

Motif

What do you think about taking a low dosed zinc supplement ?

I think it’s easier for me to get my copper in than zinc

Kingpinguin

what would you recommend ?

My zinc and copper is always low. I guess from simply not eating enough of it

i would start trying get copper high first. Zinc tends to increase in respons while the opposite happens if you try raise zinc

somuch4food

Oysters for zinc (good for copper too), lobster (one of the best copper sources), beef liver (also one of the best copper sources), purple sweet potatoes (decent copper source). I had to eat zinc foods every day, at every meal, and at least one high copper meal out of those meals per day to get my zinc and copper up. Usually 1 or 2 oysters with each of my 4-5 meals per day, and liver for my Vitamin A and copper at one of my meals works well. I do not eat very much red meat at the moment, but mostly cod with 1-2 oysters for my protein in 2-3 of my 4-5 meals, and usually milk for 1-2 of those meals to keep calcium up. That is what I would recommend to get zinc and copper up. There are other foods with zinc and copper, but many of them have too much iron or PUFA compared to foods like oysters or lobster, or liver. The oysters will also give plenty of Vitamin B-12.

The frequency is something I have been wondering about. You had more success by splitting the doses? Do you think this approach could work if done twice a day only?

RWilly

i would start trying get copper high first. Zinc tends to increase in respons while the opposite happens if you try raise zinc

Yes. That's what I'm thinking too.

I have been wondering if men and women may respond similar, but differently to copper and zinc. Women have on the average 10% higher serum copper than men.

Diddleum

Coco or Cacau powder. Put a big teaspoon in your coffee. Full of minerals and tastes great.

Kingpinguin

Yeah it is just pure chocolate I think.

understand what you’re trying to say. Dont wanna come across as a douche but its pure cacao which is a component of chocolate. Definition of chocolate is a paste or block made with cacao, cacao butter and typically sugar. Understand you know this but its good if people seperate cacao and chocolate as two seperate things. Chocolate can be just as healthy or even more than just pure cacao. as we know sugar is good for us and cacao butter/solids tend to containt high amounts of stearic acid which is also very good

OP
M

Motif

How much chocolate would I need to eat daily?

Edit: oh and let’s add vitamin C foods!

Cause I was just reading vitamin c and copper are a good idea to combat histamine intolerance.

What confuses me is that oranges , Kiwis and Even dark chocolate are high in histamine. Is it really a good idea too eat them?

@Waremu

Last edited:

RWilly

Edit: oh and let’s add vitamin C foods!

Copper

"Although vitamin C supplements have produced copper deficiency in guinea pigs (17), the effect of vitamin C supplements on copper nutritional status in humans is less clear. Two small studies in healthy, young adult men indicate that the oxidase activity of ceruloplasmin may be impaired by relatively high doses of supplemental vitamin C. In one study, vitamin C supplementation of 1,500 mg/day for two months resulted in a significant decline in ceruloplasmin oxidase activity (18). In the other study, supplements of 605 mg/day of vitamin C for three weeks resulted in decreased ceruloplasmin oxidase activity, although copper absorption did not decline (19). Neither of these studies found vitamin C supplementation to adversely affect copper nutritional status."

RWilly

Yeah, but I mean vitamin c foods.

If you are doing OJ, you'll have plenty of vitamin C. It's one of the best food sources.

Potatoes are also a good source of C.

On a side note about zinc:

"High supplemental zinc intakes of 50 mg/day or more for extended periods of time may result in copper deficiency. High dietary zinc intakes increase the synthesis of an intestinal cell protein called metallothionein, which binds certain metals and prevents their absorption by trapping them in intestinal cells. Metallothionein has a stronger affinity for copper than zinc, so high levels of metallothionein induced by excess zinc cause a decrease in copper absorption. In contrast, high copper intakes have not been found to affect zinc nutritional status (2, 15). Zinc supplementation (10 mg/day for eight weeks) was able to restore normal plasma copper/zinc ratios in 65 subjects on long-term hemodialysis who initially exhibited low zinc levels and elevated copper levels. Whether improving zinc and copper status of hemodialysis patients can impact their clinical outcomes needs to be assessed (16)."

OP
M

Motif

Thanks!

So if taking a zinc supplement , then only low dose.

What dose would you recommend?

And what form of zinc ?

What about zinc sulfate? This apparently binds bilirubin Which would be beneficial for me as I have Gilbert syndrome

RWilly

Thanks!

So if taking a zinc supplement , then only low dose.

What dose would you recommend?

And what form of zinc ?

I'm still playing with this myself. Currently I'm laying low on zinc, since I'm thinking I probably have plenty of hepatic zinc from my red meat-eating low-carb days. My research keeps leading me to copper, but I haven't had much of a response from it. I had only been doing 2mg, and I think I might up that to about 6mg spread throughout the day with food. @Kingpinguin experimented with some higher doses on copper (I think around 10mg). I'm not supplementing with anything else at this time.

Last edited:

Kingpinguin

I'm still playing with this myself. Currently I'm laying low on zinc, since I'm thinking I probably have plenty of hepatic zinc from my red meat-eating low-carb days. My research keeps leading me to copper, but I haven't had much of a response from it. I had only been doing 2mg, and I think I might up that to about 6mg spread throughout the day with food. @Kingpinguin experimented with some higher doses on copper (I think around 10mg). I'm not supplementing with anything else at this time.

yeah i mean the rdi for copper is 1-1,5 so that is not even a high dose. Your 2mg pill is probably just the amount you need to sustain yourself. If you wanna refill body copper you have to take it for quite some long time. Most studies I’ve seen used 4-8mg to replenish copper. Considering the TUL is 10mg but that is only based the the notion that they SUSPECT Those doses can cause liver damage. So far that has not been proven and there several studies that have been using copper 10mg everyday for several months and upon investigation they couldnot find anything on the liver except a slight increase in AST and other liver markers. For me 2mg per day is essential and I think many people lack that amount and is only probably getting 0,5mg from diet. Zinc I dont have anything against it except being cautious. Higher doesnt mean better with minerals. And there is severe adverse effects from using multiple high doses of zinc for a long time. I would never go above 10mg per day of zinc. Considering what you already get from your diet 5mg would be enough. Out ancestors diet wasnt that rich in zinc. They didnt eat meat the same way we did and they didnt eat fortified cereals, they didnt eat nuts and if they did eat nuts well nuts is really high in copper aswell. I think the rdi for copper and zinc is to big now and not optimal. 1/10 or 1/15. Looking at ancesteral diets it was more 3/10 some even consider it 5/10

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals