Cautionary Tale / Eat Selenium

Amazoniac

- Selenium and hydrogen selenide: essential micronutrient and the fourth gasotransmitter?

"Endogenously generated hydrogen selenide is present as the small gaseous molecule, H2Se; analogous to sulfide, it is in equilibrium with the hydroselenide anion (HSe-) [5]. Similar to the other gaseous mediators reviewed in this issue, it also generates numerous oxidation products, the most abundant being selenite (SeO32-) and selenate (SeO42-), with oxidation states of +4 and +6, respectively [4, 6]. Crucially, conversion of all forms of intracellular Se-containing compounds to hydrogen selenide (either enzymatically or through redox reactions) represents a convergent and essential biochemical step (Fig. 1)."​

- Selenium in Human Health and Gut Microflora: Bioavailability of Selenocompounds and Relationship With Diseases

1628689266457.png

Dr. B

Pompadourable, there's one thing that I only realized now: you need to restore oxidation in cancer. Perhaps that pro-oxidant effect is good for the same reasons that increased methylglyoxal is beneficial, which in turn (not as coincidence) is elevated and involved in diabetes damage: it's depleting to the defenses when it becomes a chronic stressor. Györgyizord mentioned that methylglyoxal is safe as long as is kept more or less balanced with glutathione. It always comes down to gbolduev's balance. Remember those bars from the other thread? Lowering oxidation out of precaution in this condition will be unfruitful, I think one way to deal with this is increasing the regeneration of glutathione. If on one iwanttobecomeyou hand a brutal requirement for oxidation.. oxidizes it, by increasing its raygeneration you are able to keep a constant balance and provide what's needed for restoration while coachme minimizing harm.

My interpretation is that in cancer some more selenium can be helpful indeed, and people should aim for that slightly pro-oxidant effect while doing everything possible to protect themselves from the stress. On the other hand, for health maintenance it's not the safest thing to do because you can get all those protective effects from selenium with lower doses and without the unnecessary stress.

The reactivity with thiols occurs with quinones as well. There are people who think it's fine to take up to 45mg of supplemental menatetrenone, but in my opinion it's not; it's about the minimum dose that maximizes the benefit. When in excess it should stress the glutathione system. I know there will be an argument that herbivores consume massive amounts of phylloquinone so it can't be unsafe. The only problem is that people supplement K2 alone, whereas in plants there's ample nutritional support, which includes what's needed to maintain balance, supporting glutathione regeneration and protecting from the oxidative stress. Imagine how much nutrition herbivores get from those leaves..
Mate this stuff you mention glutathione is critical. the vitamin K2 messing with glutathione is critical. low glutathione is responsible for probably many things, probably, people getting side effects from things like K2, iodine, maybe even pregnenolone, have very low levels of glutathione. whereas if glutathiones very high you can easily tolerate those things in high doses?
iodine causes peroxide damage unless you have the high glutathione to handle it
so question becomes what substances can we use, to drastically raise glutathione. or which foods, drinks, minerals, supplements can be used for that friend.
@yerrag

I'm pretty sure I somehow have selenium toxicity. I bought a selenomethionine supplement today and took 100mcg. It was awful, I got extreme nerve pain, mood swings, fatigue, diarrhoea, and nausea. I've never taken a selenium supplement before.

For months, I've been having drenching night sweats that leave my sheets smelling distinctly like garlic. People often comment in the morning that I smell strongly like garlic, even though I hadn't consumed any. Apparently, selenium toxicity can cause a garlicky odor to the breath and sweat, and a significant path of detoxification for it is through the sweat (thus the night sweats).

FitnessMike

bump

tiffanya

Global healing has selenium extracted from organic mustard seeds. Does anyone have an opinion on this source? I know mustard seeds are not ideal, but is it more bio-available than other selenium supplements? I can't do shellfish right now and need to boost my selenium.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I'm pretty sure I somehow have selenium toxicity. I bought a selenomethionine supplement today and took 100mcg. It was awful, I got extreme nerve pain, mood swings, fatigue, diarrhoea, and nausea. I've never taken a selenium supplement before.

For months, I've been having drenching night sweats that leave my sheets smelling distinctly like garlic. People often comment in the morning that I smell strongly like garlic, even though I hadn't consumed any. Apparently, selenium toxicity can cause a garlicky odor to the breath and sweat, and a significant path of detoxification for it is through the sweat (thus the night sweats).
Have you been eating high selenium foods? Sounds like you have sulphur toxicity due to a molybdenum deficiency and all the selenium is doing is helping to push out the sulphur.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals