Tuna/zinc/selenium

scarlettsmum

Recently I have seen people discussing eating tuna on the forum, can anyone enlighten me why eat tuna? I thought it's pufa fat and mercury is an issue?
I know we should eat oysters for zinc, but I'm
not sure where to get selenium from? Seafood? Is anyone taking zinc/selenium supps instead of food? Last time I ate oysters I got food poisoning so not so keen on oysters these days and besides can't get tinned ones where I live.
Thank you!

Makrosky

Recently I have seen people discussing eating tuna on the forum, can anyone enlighten me why eat tuna? I thought it's pufa fat and mercury is an issue?
not sure where to get selenium from? Seafood? Is anyone taking zinc/selenium supps instead of food? Last time I ate oysters I got food poisoning so not so keen on oysters these days and besides can't get tinned ones where I live.
Thank you!

I don't think there's any benefit on eating tuna. Specially canned tuna. Maybe real red tuna (expensive and hard to find) every once in a while is beneficial.

I think if one eats prawns, scallops, oysters (canned ones I think are safe of possible food poisoning) then selenium is covered.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I don't think there's any benefit on eating tuna. Specially canned tuna. Maybe real red tuna (expensive and hard to find) every once in a while is beneficial.

I think if one eats prawns, scallops, oysters (canned ones I think are safe of possible food poisoning) then selenium is covered.
thank you, never particularly liked the taste of tuna anyway. I just checked and found out that iherb UK ships tinned oysters to my country, so I'll try that.

there aren't many pufas in many fish. Many fish are very lean. I eat fish regularly and just avoid fatty fish.

Fish has furan acids in them, and things we don't understand.

tara

I can't get tinned oysters either, and I'm wussy enough to always cook oysters, on the rare occasions I figure I can afford a few.
I have been supplementing ~20mg zinc/week for the last year or so, and I think that may be the thing that resolved a crazy-making skin issue I developed - if I forget about the zinc for a couple of weeks it starts to make a reappearance.
For selenium I aim to eat non-oily fish or prawns or shellfish at least once a week. Not sure if it's enough. I don't generally go for tuna, though if I was served it socially I wouldn't turn it down.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I can't get tinned oysters either, and I'm wussy enough to always cook oysters, on the rare occasions I figure I can afford a few.
I have been supplementing ~20mg zinc/week for the last year or so, and I think that may be the thing that resolved a crazy-making skin issue I developed - if I forget about the zinc for a couple of weeks it starts to make a reappearance.
For selenium I aim to eat non-oily fish or prawns or shellfish at least once a week. Not sure if it's enough. I don't generally go for tuna, though if I was served it socially I wouldn't turn it down.
Thanks, Tara. Can I ask you what brand of zinc do you take? Recently I have been getting a little acne, and I haven't been getting much zinc, so I wonder if that may be the case. Btw. if you live in EU/UK, iherb UK stocks tinned oysters. I try to eat seafood every week but as you say I'm not sure if it's enough. Also the seafood here is mostly appalling unfortunately. It's shocking what they call fresh seafood/fish these days.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

there aren't many pufas in many fish. Many fish are very lean. I eat fish regularly and just avoid fatty fish.

Fish has furan acids in them, and things we don't understand.
same here, have been avoiding fatty fish and my understanding is that tuna is fatty fish?

tara

Can I ask you what brand of zinc do you take?
I got some zinc picolinate powder from Pure bulk quite a while ago. I think I might have since read some reason not to favour that form, but I happen to have it on hand, so that's what I'm using. At least I don't get extra excipients, and I can choose my approximate dose fairly easily.

If it was 500 years ago, I would eat fish. But even Peat said "The ocean isn't such a great clean food source anymore"-RP

I think all fish and seafood is likely contaminated with industrial pollutants such as mercury, dioxins, neurotoxins, arsenic, DDT, putrescine, AGE’s, PCB’s, PDBE’s, alkylphenol endocrine disruptors, and even prescription drugs that end up in rivers and streams.

And all fish is fatty fish. If we can accumulate in our tissues the pufa in coconut oil and butter then we can certainly accumulate the even more pufa in all fish and oysters, yes including tropical warm water fish too, especially if you eat it often.

"British Columbia oysters have been linked to more than 200 cases of norovirus since late December, with illnesses reported in multiple provinces."

53 people in 9 states sickened after eating raw tuna

Last edited:

Herbie

Hey Westside,

Good point to think about.

Have you got any good alternatives to oysters and shell fish?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I got some zinc picolinate powder from Pure bulk quite a while ago. I think I might have since read some reason not to favour that form, but I happen to have it on hand, so that's what I'm using. At least I don't get extra excipients, and I can choose my approximate dose fairly easily.
Thanks, Tara. Do you know what is the best form of supplemental zinc?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

If it was 500 years ago, I would eat fish. But even Peat said "The ocean isn't such a great clean food source anymore"-RP

I think all fish and seafood is likely contaminated with industrial pollutants such as mercury, dioxins, neurotoxins, arsenic, DDT, putrescine, AGE’s, PCB’s, PDBE’s, alkylphenol endocrine disruptors, and even prescription drugs that end up in rivers and streams.

And all fish is fatty fish. If we can accumulate in our tissues the pufa in coconut oil and butter then we can certainly accumulate the even more pufa in all fish and oysters, yes including tropical warm water fish too, especially if you eat it often.

"British Columbia oysters have been linked to more than 200 cases of norovirus since late December, with illnesses reported in multiple provinces."

53 people in 9 states sickened after eating raw tuna

Thanks, I am open to using supps for convenience as well. I have heard this from other sources and Garrett Smith is on and on about how dangerous seafood is, so I'm concerned. Do you have any suggestions for dosing and the best forms of zinc and selenium? Thanks!

nikolabeacon

I doubt and do not believe in all those talks that seafood is '' so dangerous''. Middle class is on the rise for example in China and first thing that people seek is meat, fish and other hjgh quality protein foods. If it is because of radiation and polution of the sea than all meat and other foods is in the same category. This is all the propaganda to lower the consumption of the high quality proteins and meat across all the countries.

Same as with talk that meat will cause cancer by Animal rights terrorists, Vegetarians and other brainwashed people who try to put animal life and brain above Human. True worship of animal life is using it as a food as is almost in all animal world on the planet. For me diet without meat, fish and seafood is very poor and can not be replaced with anything nor with supps.

Last edited:

Herbie

I doubt and do not believe in all those talks that seafood is '' so dangerous''. Middle class is on the rise for example in China and first thing that people seek is meat, fish and other hjgh quality protein foods. If it is because of radiation and polution of the sea than all meat and other foods is in the same category. This is all the propaganda to lower the consumption of the high quality proteins and meat across all the countries.

Same as with talk that meat will cause cancer by Animal rights terrorists, Vegetarians and other brainwashed people who try to put animal life and brain above Human. True worship of animal life is using it as a food as is almost in all animal world on the planet. For me diet without meat, fish and seafood is very poor and can not be replaced with anything nor with supps.

Good points here.

I used to get into researching agenda driven social programming, its very interesting.

My girlfriend worked at the farmers markets and this middle aged hippy lady would come and go on about how the oceans are toxic and its killing the children. She won't even swim in them anymore and was eating as a vegan because all the animal products were toxic in her opinion.

She was very stressed about it, I think the stressing over the alleged toxins is worse for her health then the toxins themselves.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I think you may be right, makes sense. I'll probably stick to tinned oysters after my bad experience with raw.

nikolabeacon

Good points here.

I used to get into researching agenda driven social programming, its very interesting.

My girlfriend worked at the farmers markets and this middle aged hippy lady would come and go on about how the oceans are toxic and its killing the children. She won't even swim in them anymore and was eating as a vegan because all the animal products were toxic in her opinion.

She was very stressed about it, I think the stressing over the alleged toxins is worse for her health then the toxins themselves.

Yes typical story. I think that that they first start to cry over animal life because they were brainwashed with some prophets and religions or falsely interpreted scriptures and later are only finding millions of reasons to justify their philosophy.

Milena

thank you, never particularly liked the taste of tuna anyway. I just checked and found out that iherb UK ships tinned oysters to my country, so I'll try that.
You can get canned smoked oysters in Tescos.

Dan W

Have you got any good alternatives to oysters and shell fish?
I've noticed that mushrooms (just about any variety) are standouts for zinc/selenium. And for people that have given them up due to digestive issues, I have a new suspicion that maybe those are actually due to their sugar alcohol content rather than the fiber. I keep meaning to see if there's varieties that are lower in sugar alcohols.

Herbie

Thanks Dan.

Have you ever looked into the organic vs conventional mushroom cultivating techniques?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals