Aged Cat Wasting Away, Skinny And On Methimazole, What To Do?

RealNeat

Not my cat, but I care deeply for him. He pukes almost every day and can't keep down dairy or any red meat.

He is fairly aged around 13 and he's been on these meds for a while. The thought is that he is hyperthyroid but if I understand Peat's view correctly he more so would "correct" hyperthyroidism (with cabbage juice, or PUFA) so that doctors don't give damaging drugs to people. In reality these people/pets would be better off on thyroid (t4/t3) to help modulate it instead of the reductionist method of poisoning the thyroid.

So what should I do? Should I give him desiccated thyroid, or try to get thyroid meds for him? He is constantly starving, begs for food like a dog. He spent a majority of his life eating tuna from his previous owners who passed away.

since he can barely eat anything without puking what should I feed him to get his weight and muscle up?

the hard thing is that he isn't my pet but I can't just watch him die when something could be done. His feed isn't the greatest and as much as I'd like to be able to control the quality of what he eats, I can't, once again, he isn't my cat I only seem him a few months out of the year.

thanks for any feedback

LucyL

Rabbit works really well for cats with IBS, not sure that's the problem here, but if you could source some ground rabbit or canned rabbit he might digest it easier. Just be aware that rabbit as a food staple must be given with taurine because rabbit is deficient in taurine and cats need it from their food.

shepherdgirl

There are herbs that help people with hyperthyroid such as bugleweed, motherwort and lemon balm. Not sure whether or not they're suitable for cats.
I read that to try to increase the cat's appetite you could serve them something stinky like sardines.
As for the cat throwing up I don't know. Maybe he's eating a lot of poor quality food and it makes him sick?

shepherdgirl

Ah, one more thing. To have him gain weight you need to slow down/block his thyroid with herbs or meds or something. So long as his thyroid is too fast he will waste away.

mrchibbs

Not my cat, but I care deeply for him. He pukes almost every day and can't keep down dairy or any red meat.

He is fairly aged around 13 and he's been on these meds for a while. The thought is that he is hyperthyroid but if I understand Peat's view correctly he more so would "correct" hyperthyroidism (with cabbage juice, or PUFA) so that doctors don't give damaging drugs to people. In reality these people/pets would be better off on thyroid (t4/t3) to help modulate it instead of the reductionist method of poisoning the thyroid.

So what should I do? Should I give him desiccated thyroid, or try to get thyroid meds for him? He is constantly starving, begs for food like a dog. He spent a majority of his life eating tuna from his previous owners who passed away.

since he can barely eat anything without puking what should I feed him to get his weight and muscle up?

the hard thing is that he isn't my pet but I can't just watch him die when something could be done. His feed isn't the greatest and as much as I'd like to be able to control the quality of what he eats, I can't, once again, he isn't my cat I only seem him a few months out of the year.

thanks for any feedback

Previous threads on cats talked about massaging progesterone in their ears, or maybe find some raw beef liver, adding taurine powder to it and seeing if he'll eat that.

There is a member here describing a recipe for cats: Think My Cat Is Dying

If he'll eat something, adding activated charcoal powder in his food may clean out his intestine. Pregnenolone powder could be used to, in fact it would be the 1st thing I use since it's barely
noticeable in food, it should help a lot.

Shining red light 660nm on his body might help, cat naturally like to sunbathe, and a little red light therapy could fix a lot of problems.

Other things I'd try: a couple drops of Methylene Blue in the foods. It is anti-viral, anti-parasitic and does a million other good things. A drop of cyproheptadine may be useful, I seem to remember it was given to pets too

SOMO

Have you tried blending the meat so it is easier to digest?

alywest

Diabetes mellitus
Diabetic cats often appear to be “starving in the midst of plenty.” In spite of a voracious appetite, they drop weight quite rapidly. This is because diabetes causes an inability to properly process and utilize the calories the kitty consumes.

Perhaps try giving it brewers yeast?

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Have you tried blending the meat so it is easier to digest?
The meat or dairy is only given as treats his main staple is your average canned cat food.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Diabetes mellitus
Diabetic cats often appear to be “starving in the midst of plenty.” In spite of a voracious appetite, they drop weight quite rapidly. This is because diabetes causes an inability to properly process and utilize the calories the kitty consumes.

Perhaps try giving it brewers yeast?
I'll have to check the safety of brewers yeast for cats.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Ah, one more thing. To have him gain weight you need to slow down/block his thyroid with herbs or meds or something. So long as his thyroid is too fast he will waste away.
I'm conflicted with this information as I don't really think he has true hyperthyroidism. How could he, everything he is fed and given as medication is anti-thyroid.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Previous threads on cats talked about massaging progesterone in their ears, or maybe find some raw beef liver, adding taurine powder to it and seeing if he'll eat that.

If he'll eat something, adding activated charcoal powder in his food may clean out his intestine. Pregnenolone powder could be used to, in fact it would be the 1st thing I use since it's barely

Shining red light 660nm on his body might help, cat naturally like to sunbathe, and a little red light therapy could fix a lot of problems.

Other things I'd try: a couple drops of Methylene Blue in the foods. It is anti-viral, anti-parasitic and does a million other good things. A drop of cyproheptadine may be useful, I seem to remember it was given to pets too
Thanks I'll look into some of this. It's a fine balance because if I rev up his metabolism even more I'll have to give him more food, but the more food (especially) the wrong kind, which seems to be several things now, makes him throw up.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

How about tuna, since he used to eat it a lot?
I don't know why they don't give him tuna anymore, that was pretty much all he was eating, is that sufficient? His eyes don't fluctuate like other cats (always has dilated pupils) and he acts more like a dog and never cleans himself or covers his poop. Strange cat but very friendly. Maybe the mercury in tuna messed him up.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I have progestene from @haidut how many drops should I use on his ears?

mrchibbs

I have progestene from @haidut how many drops should I use on his ears?

Not sure anybody has worked out a formula for sick cats lol

Experiment, start with just a drop or two, see how that goes.

shepherdgirl

I don't know why they don't give him tuna anymore, that was pretty much all he was eating, is that sufficient? His eyes don't fluctuate like other cats (always has dilated pupils) and he acts more like a dog and never cleans himself or covers his poop. Strange cat but very friendly. Maybe the mercury in tuna messed him up.
Hard to say really if he could have mercury poisoning, if he is still hyper or has other issues. I don't know if tuna is sufficient, just thought maybe he wouldn't throw it up. Poor guy.

yerrag

Can you feel his neck for lump? If you can feel the thyroid glands, he is hyperthyroid. I'll give him a 200mcg pill's worth of selenomethionine. One dose is usually enough to fix him up, but feeling for the thyroid gland lump disappearing would be your guide.

alywest

If it’s diabetes you definitely don’t want to give him anything anti thyroid. I would think a natural desiccated thyroid supplement would be good. Also, beef trachea is packed with selenium. Ancestral supplements sells both but they’re pricey