Tuna/zinc/selenium

Milena

I've noticed that mushrooms (just about any variety) are standouts for zinc/selenium. And for people that have given them up due to digestive issues, I have a new suspicion that maybe those are actually due to their sugar alcohol content rather than the fiber. I keep meaning to see if there's varieties that are lower in sugar alcohols.

Shitake are about 50% RDA for zinc per 100g. Others are about 3% RDA. That's a lot of mushrooms :)

Dan W

That's a lot of mushrooms :)
Onlookers were horrified at the amount of mushrooms I was eating in my mushroom-crazy phase. This was before I realized they were causing my gut to sound like Godzilla.

They're something like 80-90% water, which I think makes 'em easy to eat in large quantities.

Others are about 3% RDA.
Is that based on NutritionData.com? It seems like they use ~15mg in their calculations, whereas I'm seeing it at 8-11mg. Assuming that's a reasonable RDA, the 0.7-0.9mg in 100g portabella, straw, oyster, and "standard" mushrooms isn't too shabby.

Milena

[QUOTE="Is that based on NutritionData.com? It seems like they use ~15mg in their calculations, whereas I'm seeing it at 8-11mg. Assuming that's a reasonable RDA, the 0.7-0.9mg in 100g portabella, straw, oyster, and "standard" mushrooms isn't too shabby.[/QUOTE]
Ah, I see you mean RDA at 15mg. Yes, I did. I think the requirement for zinc is key in the 'get a varied diet' statements. It's so vital to health and can easily be deficient in fussy eaters. I wish oysters were 'poor man's' food again.

Dan W

I think I was wrong to suggest mushrooms for selenium. It appears mushroom selenium is poorly bioavailable, at least in young women and rats.

Frankdee20

Recently I have seen people discussing eating tuna on the forum, can anyone enlighten me why eat tuna? I thought it's pufa fat and mercury is an issue?
I know we should eat oysters for zinc, but I'm
not sure where to get selenium from? Seafood? Is anyone taking zinc/selenium supps instead of food? Last time I ate oysters I got food poisoning so not so keen on oysters these days and besides can't get tinned ones where I live.
Thank you!

Brazil nuts are the richest source of Selenium. In fact, 4 a day might be toxic, not from PUFA, but that's how concentrated they are.

cyclops

Is canned tuna really that bad? The wild planet one seems good, they say they use smaller tuna with less mercury. I like the taste way more then canned oysters which are gross. I dont know if there is so much more pufa then what is in eggs and oysters which I already eat.

I mean I am sure there are better fish options (like the one Peat says he eats) but if you're looking for something less expensive and convenient canned tuna seems good. I don't know any other fish that taste decent canned.

Frankdee20

Is canned tuna really that bad? The wild planet one seems good, they say they use smaller tuna with less mercury. I like the taste way more then canned oysters which are gross. I dont know if there is so much more pufa then what is in eggs and oysters which I already eat.

I mean I am sure there are better fish options (like the one Peat says he eats) but if you're looking for something less expensive and convenient canned tuna seems good. I don't know any other fish that taste decent canned.

Tuna has Selenium which helps you process any mercury in it

cyclops

Tuna has Selenium which helps you process any mercury in it

I heard Ray suggest eating seafood once a week for the minerals or whatever. Do you think a can of high quality tuna could do the job without any major detriment?

cyclops

Skipjack Tuna seems like it is a good option. Very little fat and supposedly lower in mercury then albacore because it is smaller.

tomisonbottom

If it was 500 years ago, I would eat fish. But even Peat said "The ocean isn't such a great clean food source anymore"-RP

I think all fish and seafood is likely contaminated with industrial pollutants such as mercury, dioxins, neurotoxins, arsenic, DDT, putrescine, AGE’s, PCB’s, PDBE’s, alkylphenol endocrine disruptors, and even prescription drugs that end up in rivers and streams.

And all fish is fatty fish. If we can accumulate in our tissues the pufa in coconut oil and butter then we can certainly accumulate the even more pufa in all fish and oysters, yes including tropical warm water fish too, especially if you eat it often.

This doesn't makes sense to me because Ray recommends oysters, and shellfish. If all seafood wasn't safe he wouldn't recommend it regularly (weekly or biweekly).

And all fish aren't fatty.

3 oz of yellowfin tuna has a MUCH better fat profile than eggs which Ray also recommends as part of good diet (assuming the eggs are quality of course).

3 oz of tuna has 0.1 grams PUFA and 1 egg has 0.6 grams pufa, plus the ratio of saturated to unsaturated is better with tuna.

Yellowfin has 0.2 grams saturated fat and Ray has said the ratio of saturated to unsaturated is equally important.

There are other nutrient considerations too, like getting enough selenium which Ray says is one of the most important minerals to avoid over-excitation of the cells.

With the exception of grass fed gelatin all proteins have potential issues; milk has tryptophan and too much liquid for many people, cheese has bad enzymes and can be fattening, most beef is poor quality and has pufa, chicken has too many of the wrong aminos, most shrimp is farmed and toxic, etc

As with other fish, getting ocean caught and smaller younger fish is probably best, so there will be individual differences, but I don't think well sourced non-fatty fish is any more dangerous than most protein options, as long as it's not eaten daily.

In one article ray describes the benefits of a can of tuna helping MS:

"Shortly after I moved from Mexico to Montana, one of my students, a 32 year old woman, began having the same sensory symptoms her older sister had experienced at the same age, at the onset of multiple sclerosis. Vertigo and visual distortions of some sort made her consider withdrawing from the university. I'm not sure why she tried eating a whole can of tuna for lunch a couple of days after the onset of symptoms, but it seemed to alleviate the symptoms, and she stayed on a high protein diet and never had a recurrence."

Last edited:

cyclops

3 oz of yellowfin tuna has a MUCH better fat profile than eggs which Ray also recommends as part of good diet (assuming the eggs are quality of course).

3 oz of tuna has 0.1 grams PUFA and 1 egg is 0.6 grams pufa, plus the ratio of saturated to unsaturated is better with tuna.

Yellowfin has 0.2 grams saturated fat and Ray has said the ratio of saturated to unsaturated is important.

These are good points. It seems like lean tuna is like eating a chicken breast or something; hardly any fat. I think light tuna once in a while could be a good thing. Pratically no pufa, lower mercury then regular tuna, probably good nutrients.

Dierlief87

[QUOTE = "Herbie, bericht: 213993, lid: 4310"] Goede punten hier.

Vroeger begon ik met het onderzoeken van door de agenda gestuurde sociale programmering, het is erg interessant.

Mijn vriendin werkte op de boerenmarkten en deze hippie dame van middelbare leeftijd zou komen vertellen hoe de oceanen giftig zijn en de kinderen doden. Ze zal niet eens meer in hen zwemmen en at als veganist omdat alle dierlijke producten volgens haar giftig waren.

Ze was erg gestrest, ik denk dat de stress over de vermeende gifstoffen erger is voor haar gezondheid dan de toxines zelf. [/ QUOTE]
am also vegetarian for years and then vegan. I was also told that animals are poisonous and if you eat meat that you were a killer. I started eating meat in 2017 because my health was bad I am still sick of vegan supliments. and all my friends who are vegan are angry with me. they call me prisoner killer. while I am still animal lover! ! !

oxphoser

I don’t think sardines have been mentioned as a source of selenium. I seem to recall Ray Peat saying a can of sardines was ok every week or two.

“Once drained, a 3 oz can of sardines in oil, with bones, will account for 82% of the adult DV. That’s because it contains 45 mcg of selenium.”
— from MedicalNewsToday.com

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals