Zinc, Copper, Selenium: Shellfish Vs Cocoa

dukez07

http://www.dragonherbs.com/products.asp?dept=43

Polyrachis ant contains 180mg of zinc per gram. It leaves poor oysters in the shade for zinc content.

The ant comes as a powder that is actually highly palatable. I've tried it, and it's one of the best tasting herbs I've ever come across. It's also one of the most highly revered herbs in Chinese medicine.

Not for everyone, though. It made me far too 'yang', and caused feelings of aggression.

It has amazing effects on energy, strength and fatigue.

jjhotcakes

I know this thread kind of veered away from the original topic, but it's worth noting (for anyone who ever makes it to the end of the thread) that chocolate is most definitely NOT a good source of zinc or magnesium for the same reason that coffee isn't a good source of those nutrients. That's because both are extremely high in phytic acid, which binds strongly with zinc and magnesium. However, phytic acid does NOT bind with copper, so chocolate is very rich in bioavailable copper, but it can produce a zinc-copper imbalance for that reason.

I'm uncertain about chocolate/cacao. It certainly seems to have some benefits, but it has some downsides too. But it is definitely a mistake to rely on it as a source of broad spectrum minerals since the phytic acid will bind with many of them.

Momado965

Cacao powder has 100 mg of zinc per 100 g powder. So 5 g of powder is 5 mg of zinc! :)

Birdie

I’m working through all this again.

As I said farther up the thread, we can’t do much chocolate due to the high arginine content. And I’ll add that my husband refuses canned oysters. No raw ones here where I live that we would be fresh.

I’m taking the same route as @Such_Saturation with the zinc supplement, but without the chocolate.

Ray has said selenium supplements are not the thing. We take a little copper once a week.