Brazil Nuts Story

kyle

Just a story I heard from a Brazilian.

There was a tribe living downstream from an industrial run off area and a large quantity of a toxic substance (don't recall which, maybe glycophosphate) contaminated the water.

The tribe would actually bathe in the river quite frequently so their exposure was exceptionally high. One of the effects of the toxin was birth defects. Authorities checked later and found none of the natives had any birth problems while others, eating ordinary diet, living along the effected river did.

It was attributed to the consumption of Brazil nuts which is a big part of the natives diet.

The selenium content is tremendous in these nuts. From SELF Nutrition Data | Food Facts, Information & Calorie Calculator

A single Brazil nut (5g)

95.8 mcg Selenium
1.220 g PUFA

For comparison

6 medium Oysters (84g)

53.5 mcg Selenium
0.5g PUFA

So if you consider only selenium ratio, Brazil nuts are only slightly higher in PUFA. You'd need to eat a dozen oysters to get about the equivalent of one 5g nut. The nuts also contain vitamin E which might offset the PUFA's effects.

Though eating a dozen oysters will give you a lot of zinc and protein in addition to selenium. While I can tolerate canned smoked oysters, other than that fresh oysters can 10$- $20 for a dozen. It may not be a bad idea to get a 1 lb bag is the same price and will last a long time if you eat them on occasion.

Overall they seem valuable for people that aren't big on seafood or the availability of seafood or grassfed meat is limited, or if they can't eat a lot of meat.

J

jb116

It's also important to maintain perspective of the role as food. Oysters for example would be as a filling meal. One Brazil nut however, although equivalence can be found in comparison, won't be a filling meal but just one nut.

SOMO

I love brazil nuts, all nuts actually.

If I had to eat only 1 nut for the rest of my life it would be a tie between brazil nuts or almonds.

LucH

Too much selenium may be pro-oxidant. 200 mcg ok (food included). Exceptionnally 400 mcg if detox.
Exact mechanism of selenium toxicity remains unclear but there are many data about its prooxidant effect particularly in the form of selenite, while selenomethionine and selenocysteine are less toxic. Inorganic forms of selenium reacts with tissue thiols, such as glutathione to form selenotrisulphides and those are reacting with other thiols to generate oxygen free radicals, such as superoxide anion. Organic diselenides are converted into selenols in presence of thiols which also results oxygen free radical generation. Another free radical hypothesis of selenium toxicosis is based on the methyl-selenide formation, which also results superoxide radicals and induce oxidative stress. Besides free radical formation selenium can have inhibitory effects on thiol proteins, for instance those which have antioxidant affect.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...nt_mechanisms_of_selenium_toxicity_-_A_review
https://www2.sci.u-szeged.hu/ABS/2009/Acta HPb/53Suppl15.pdf

Sinjin

In the UK we seem to get Brazil nuts from western- South America where I’ve read the selenium levels are much lower. Don’t assume all Brazil nuts are the same

Penny H

Alas, they're also very moldy.

Yes Spokey. I just found this out! Oh no I thought. Nutritionist put me on them for selenium and theyre my go-to snack. For some years.

Now I read they’re not good at all due to mould! I have to admit Ive tasted this on quite a few.

I read that its something that has allegedly been used in germ warfare? Not wishing to be scare mongered I tried to find a balanced place but....decided that mould is mould and so I either clean them in hydrogen peroxide or get my selenium from supplements.

I have ME so now I am wondering.....

Spokey

Eggs and mushrooms provide a lot of selenium.
I think Brazil nuts are just hard to keep in our climate and aflatoxin molds evolved to attack such things. The best quality ones seem to be the ones covered in chocolate; I think the chocolate protects them.

Penny H

Yes Spokey ‘aflatoxin’ was the very thing mentioned. Chocolate? Yes, super protective and a must for sure....;-)

Peater Piper

I've read that Brazil nuts are high in radium. Enough to be a concern? I don't know. There also seems to be a very large variation in how much selenium they contain. It would be convenient to eat one a day to make sure selenium intake is sufficient, but there's enough "if's" to steer me away from them.

Penny H

Peater Piper, I’ve read this too. Also the point of Origin might matter? I recall Brazil (naturally) and China being quoted. Yes, let the ‘ifs’ determine it....common sense...

Aad

Been eating 2-3 brazil nuts/day for the past 7 weeks or so. Zero change in diet and exercise.
My belly fat has completely melted away.
Impressive stuff.

Mauritio

Been eating 2-3 brazil nuts/day for the past 7 weeks or so. Zero change in diet and exercise.
My belly fat has completely melted away.
Impressive stuff.
Did you measure your weight?

I remember eating 2 per day pre-peat and my hair was always really soft after that.

Aad

Yes, I lost 3.5 kgs in 9 weeks. No change in anything, except for the brazil nuts.

Mauritio

Yes, I lost 3.5 kgs in 9 weeks. No change in anything, except for the brazil nuts.
Wow that's interesting. Did you try if selenium as a supplement works ?

Tiffany

Wow that's interesting. Did you try if selenium as a supplement works ?
I found that selenimum supplements do not have the same effect as eating 2 brazil nuts on most days. I aimed to eat them daily but find myself sskipping a day or two each week so now I take the selenium capsuleon those days. The raw ones tasted moldy (with no visible mold). I decided to try roasted and salted variety thinking the salt would keep mold from growing. They are much less moldy in flavor but there is still a hint of them being "off".

I wondered if anyone has tried them right out of the shell and if they are moldy. I remember eating them from the shell as a child and don't remember a bad flavor. I assume they cost more but I will buy them with shells on if that keeps them from gettin moldy.

I most recently trialed Futurebiotics selenium and one other brand of "complexed selenium". I lost the hair that had regrown. The nails that had grown strong during brazil-nut eating periods became weak again. I am generally unconcerned about my weight so I didn't log changes to see if brazil nuts had an effect. I don't have a scale but in the short period (about 10 days) that I've resumed eating brazil nuts, my tummy has gotten flatter.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
To crack Brazil nuts easily, keep them in the freezer until ready to crack. A regular nut cracker will work when they are frozen. Don't thaw before cracking.

I imagine they can be moldy in the shell, too, but probably not as moldy as the shelled versions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals