Low calcium in blood work

Puffyjacket

I did a blood test for minerals a while back, and calcium came in at 49mg/l under the "minimum" 57mg/l. Could it indicate i actually have low calcium? I eat alot of dairy products so i found it strange.. also have heard that a high calcium blood value could mean you actually have too little, since it gets released from bones into the bloodstream. A bit confusing to me, so if anyone could help me i would appreciate it.

Will test my hair/nails at idealabs sometime in the future so will compare the answers.

In general, are blood tests of minerals of any good use? My potassium, selenium, and magnesium was a little bit lower then the optimal range so would be nice to know if i should do anything special about it. Thanks!

And how is your health in general - is there something you are trying to solve? Taking any supplements? Whats your diet?

Nik665

I did a blood test for minerals a while back, and calcium came in at 49mg/l under the "minimum" 57mg/l. Could it indicate i actually have low calcium? I eat alot of dairy products so i found it strange.. also have heard that a high calcium blood value could mean you actually have too little, since it gets released from bones into the bloodstream. A bit confusing to me, so if anyone could help me i would appreciate it.

Will test my hair/nails at idealabs sometime in the future so will compare the answers.

In general, are blood tests of minerals of any good use? My potassium, selenium, and magnesium was a little bit lower then the optimal range so would be nice to know if i should do anything special about it. Thanks!
what is A lot of dairy? how many mg of calcium are you getting thru food? if you yet dont have a rough idea it is good to track for a week and see your average calcium intake.

OP
P

Puffyjacket

And how is your health in general - is there something you are trying to solve? Taking any supplements? Whats your diet?
I might have worded the questions badly but mainly im wondering if blood tests for calcium or any of the other minerals are of any actual use, because i have heard some negative things about them from podcasts but struggle with finding any concluding info about this. What im gonna do with the problem would be the next step if i would actually believe the blood test, but that was not nescessarily what i was wondering about now. Ty anyways.

OP
P

Puffyjacket

what is A lot of dairy? how many mg of calcium are you getting thru food? if you yet dont have a rough idea it is good to track for a week and see your average calcium intake.
I was mainly wondering if the calcium blood test is to be trusted, and would take it more seriously if so, since i havent had much reason to believe it was a problem earlier. Will track it if that is the case.

Almost daily i get about 1L milk, some cottage cheese, some regular cheese, casein protein shakes every second day, 230ml hagen dasz daily. Also did a period of supplemental Calcium Carbonate recently.

If the blood test was a good indicator, then i guess there could be an absorption issue, or something making me need even more.

Nik665

I was mainly wondering if the calcium blood test is to be trusted, and would take it more seriously if so, since i havent had much reason to believe it was a problem earlier. Will track it if that is the case.

Almost daily i get about 1L milk, some cottage cheese, some regular cheese, casein protein shakes every second day, 230ml hagen dasz daily. Also did a period of supplemental Calcium Carbonate recently.

If the blood test was a good indicator, then i guess there could be an absorption issue, or something making me need even more.
How many mgs of calcium in that? You’d have to add it up to find out and yes the tests are accurate

Nik665

You need objective data “some of this and some of that” lacks objectivity. I suggest measuring amounts next time then looking at the calcium percentage or mgs next time and adding it up. Only way to know if “it’s enough” most people don’t get enough calcium in their diet

OP
P

Puffyjacket

You need objective data “some of this and some of that” lacks objectivity. I suggest measuring amounts next time then looking at the calcium percentage or mgs next time and adding it up. Only way to know if “it’s enough” most people don’t get enough calcium in their diet
Ok, good to know, thanks! Will have results from nail samples in the future also so will see how they compare. The bloodtest i got was for free with some other tests.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals