How Can I Get My Parathyroid Hormon Down?

agnostic

I know that PTH should be in the lower half of the reference range, but it seems - no matter what I do - I cannot get it down. Over the years, I measured PTH several times. Initially it was even above the reference range. After increasing may vitamin D, calcium and magnesium intake I could bring it down a little bit, but it was always clearly in the upper end of the reference range.

According to my latest blood test, my PTH is at 5.7 mol/L (reference range: 1.5 - 6.9), despite taking 4000 I.U. Vitamin D, 300 mg Magnesium (as Glycinate-Lysinate) and 600 mg Calcium (as carbonate) per day during at least half a year previously.

My vitamin D in the blood is currently at 53.2 ng/ml, which according to Chris Masterjohn is at the high end of a normal value.

Why is my PTH still that high? Do I eat still eat too much meat and phosphorus in relation to calcium? I would say on average, I eat about one egg, about 100-200 grams of meat and maybe 100 grams of cheese per day. I also take about 25 grams of collagen peptides per day.

What can I do to bring PTH further down? Should I further increase Vitamin D, even though the blood level is already quite high?

OP
A

agnostic

I also take 10'000 I.U. Vitamin A and 15mg K2 to protect against potential toxicity of high vitamin D.

Furthermore, I take 3mg boron, which is supposed the support the parathyroid gland and should help to retain calcium and magnesium.

I know that the hypothyroidism is also related to PTH and indeed I have several signs of low thyroid function. My TSH is currently at 2.5, although half a year ago it was at 1.3. I also tried dessicated thyroid several years ago, but didn't have much success with it, so my current strategy is to support the thyroid with the right nutrients (e.g. selenium) rather than taking thyroid hormone directly.

lampofred

What are your temps and pulse? I think high CO2 is also necessary to bring down PTH.

EDIT: oops didn't read your second post mentioning you are hypothyroid but can't increase thyroid hormone. In that case, would recommend additional sodium to increase CO2 as ecstatichamster mentioned.

Last edited:
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda helps, on an empty stomach in water, twice a day, to increase CO2.

1000mg of thiamine once or twice a day helps.

More calcium is probably the answer. Calcium in food is better than supplementing. You may still have more phosphorus than calcium in the muscle meat you are eating.

OP
A

agnostic

I don't track my temps and pulse, but I know my average pulse during the night, because I wear an Oura ring. Usually it's about 60 on average during the night, but sometimes it's even in the low fifties. During the day at rest, it's mostly around 65-70. Waking temperature is usually between 36.4 - 36.8 degree celcius (sorry, I'm european).

I never heard that CO2 is directly related to PTH. I already take about 100-200 mg B1 per day and a small amount of sodium/potassium bicarbonate in my orange juice, which should help CO2 production. I also experimented with allithiamine for a while. Didn't seem to help.

lampofred

I think niacinamide and aspirin would also lower PTH since they antagonize phosphate. Coffee probably too, and it would be a way to get your temps and pulse up without having to take thyroid.

Dr. Peat mentioned that babies have 0 PTH immediately after birth because of high CO2 in the womb but that it rises sharply upon exposure to lower CO2 concentrations.

OP
A

agnostic

@ecstatichamster

I could try to increase my calcium even more, but I think I would have to increase magnesium as well. I always wondered wether my body is adapated to very high milk consumption because I drank a lot of milk when I was a child (I grew up on a farm where we had our own milk) and being 100% swiss, I'm probably genetically adapted to a very high dairy consumption. I don't drink much milk nowadays and mostly consume dairy in form of cheese.

OP
A

agnostic

@lambofred

I take niacinamide daily as well. Currently 100mg twice per day. There were also phases, where I took 2 * 250mg per day. Didn't seem to affect my PTH much.

I never took aspirin daily, only for acute treatment of headaches.

OP
A

agnostic

Regarding the coffee recommendation: I also consume about 4 cups of coffee per day.