How Long Does It Take To See The Blood-calcium Lowering Effect Of High Dietary Calcium?

YourUniverse

My friend got blood work back, and her blood calcium was 2.61 (reference range is between 2.15 and 2.60).

She would eat a little bit of cheese every now and then, and has avoided milk for decades, and has recently (at my urging) begun adding milk and a calcium carbonate supplement to her diet.

I assume she has elevated PTH from low life-long calcium intake, and her system isnt ready for the increased calcium intake in the short term.

I assume the chronic calcium intake will lower her PTH and blood calcium. My question is: how long can we practically expect this to take?

In the meantime, Im advising she keep the calcium intake up, and maybe increase kale or spinach for vitamin K.

brix

What’s her age? Any symptoms?

Younger people generally have higher blood calcium.

Ella

Forum Supporter
You need to include Vitamin D and sun bathing? She needs to increase her protein intake. Calcium requires adequate protein to deposit into bone tissue. Weight bearing exercises are mandatory. If muscles and bones are not being used, the body will not support them and will reduce or discard what is not required. The body is very economical, it will not support what is not being used. At 50 years of age a woman is entering menopause and it requires much effort to mitigate the hormonal changes. Ovaries shutting down production of hormones and adrenals taking over that role. Estrogen dominance and thyroid dysfunction due to low progesterone are prime events which require investigating. If she has been low calcium for much of her life, this transition period can be quite challenging. Is there ever a time a female can be secure about her health?

lampofred

Vitamin D is necessary for calcium absorption, vitamin K is necessary for putting the absorbed calcium in the right place, and magnesium needs to be consumed in proportion to calcium intake.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

You need to include Vitamin D and sun bathing? She needs to increase her protein intake. Calcium requires adequate protein to deposit into bone tissue. Weight bearing exercises are mandatory. If muscles and bones are not being used, the body will not support them and will reduce or discard what is not required. The body is very economical, it will not support what is not being used. At 50 years of age a woman is entering menopause and it requires much effort to mitigate the hormonal changes. Ovaries shutting down production of hormones and adrenals taking over that role. Estrogen dominance and thyroid dysfunction due to low progesterone are prime events which require investigating. If she has been low calcium for much of her life, this transition period can be quite challenging. Is there ever a time a female can be secure about her health?
Vitamin D/sun, protein, and weight lifting - got it. I think she's pretty good on the first two, although the summer has just begun here in Toronto, and she only recently began taking vitamin D.

Do you know how long a person needs to keep calcium intake high before blood calcium would begin to fall? Calcium and D both contribute to lowering blood calcium

vitamin K is necessary for putting the absorbed calcium in the right place,

Vitamin K2-MK4 or MK7 as found in high quality animal fat such as egg yolks, butter, cheese, or even fat tissue of muscle meat is what has this effect.

Vitamin K1 is found in leafy greens such as kale and spinach and allows for proper blood clotting. The conversion of K1 to K2 is very, very inefficient.