Exercise brain-boost may be due simply to increasing brain selenium levels

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another study demonstrating that many of the "mysterious" benefits of exercise most likely have nothing to do with the (insignificant) amount of extra calories burned, but are due to peripheral effects related to metabolism and redox balance. Namely, the study below investigates the well-known phenomenon that neurogenesis (which declines strongly with age) is strongly boosted by exercise and discovers that this boost actually has a very simple explanation - increased selenium delivery to the brain. The aged animals subjected to exercise responded with increased synthesis of a selenium-carrying protein, and this resulted in increased selenium concentrations in specific brain areas, and increased neurogenesis and improved cognitive function. When other aged mice, genetically engineered to lack that protein, were subjected to exercise they did not experience increased neurogenesis and improved cognitive function. To find out if selenium was the actual beneficial factor, the researchers administered selenium to the aged mice both through direct brain injections and also in the drinking water, and both methods of selenium supplementation resulted in identical (to exercise) increases in neurogenesis and improved cognitive function.

So, a major beneficial effect of exercise may be obtainable simply by eating enough seafood (good source of selenium), while also avoiding the negative effects of exercise such as lipolysis, inflammation, serotonin, cortisol, etc. Now, the author's explanation in regards to selenium's beneficial effects on the brain involve its role as a potent antioxidant, and I think this is indeed part of the answer. However, IMO a much bigger part of the story is selenium's role as a cofactor for the enzyme converting the inactive thyroid hormone T4 into the active version T3. While most of that conversion happens in the liver, up to 40% occurs in other tissues/organs, especially the brain. So, my hypothesis is that the main mechanism of action for selenium's "anabolic" effect on the brain is its role in increasing T3 synthesis. There are plenty of studies, both human and animal, demonstrating increased neurogenesis and better cognitive function (especially in the elderly) as a result of thyroid administration, so I am not exactly shooting in the dark with my hypothesis.

And finally, what about selenium doses? The dose given to mice in their water is HED to several mg daily, which is a very high dose, however toxicity studies comparing rodents and humans demonstrate that the dosage used in the study is equivalent in toxicity to 200mcg-300mcg daily in an adult human. Such amounts/doses are below the "danger" limit set by most drug regulators around the world and mimic what most supplements on the market offer as daily doses. And since the administration produced effects after only 4 weeks, such doses on a daily basis for a month should not be a problem for an aging human who probably suffers from selenium deficiency to start with (as the study itself suggests).

DEFINE_ME

"...Although the neurogenesis-enhancing effects of exercise have been known for more than two decades (van Praag et al., 1999a, van Praag et al., 1999b), the molecular mechanisms underlying this response have remained largely unclear. Taken together, our data show that an exercise-induced increase in antioxidant selenium transport activates quiescent hippocampal NPCs, resulting in increased NPC proliferation and adult neurogenesis. Furthermore, we show that mimicking the exercise-induced increase in systemic selenium transport by dietary selenium supplementation can restore neurogenesis and reverse the cognitive decline associated with aging and hippocampal injury."

"...Selenium is important for maintaining normal brain function and its deficiency has been linked to a number of age-related neurodegenerative disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease (Cardoso et al., 2015). Selenium status also declines naturally with age (Akbaraly et al., 2007). In this study, we showed that selenium supplementation can rescue the decreased hippocampal neurogenesis and associated learning and memory deficits in animal models of physiological aging and ET-1-induced hippocampal lesion, models in which the cognitive deficits have also been shown to be rescued by physical exercise (Codd et al., 2020; Horowitz et al., 2020). It has been reported that, during aging, increased quiescence rather than stem cell depletion accounts for the observed decrease in neurogenesis (Kalamakis et al., 2019; Lugert et al., 2010). In support of this, we found that although NPC proliferation was greatly reduced in the aged hippocampus, the magnitude of selenium-induced activation was greater in older mice than young mice. This is similar to our previous observation in aged mice following KCl-induced hippocampal NPC activation (Walker et al., 2008). Determining whether long-term activation of quiescent NPCs by selenium supplementation (or exercise) results in their depletion or whether these NPCs divide asymmetrically to continually self-renew following selenium-induced activation will provide insight into the life-long maintenance of NPC populations in the DG."

"...Overall, our finding that selenium metabolism is involved in mediating the exercise-induced increase in adult hippocampal neurogenesis demonstrates how systemic or environmental factors can regulate adult neurogenesis and hence plasticity in the DG. This could have far-reaching implications, as the activity-dependency of adult hippocampal neurogenesis is one of its key features and central to modern concepts of how adult-generated neurons provide life-long adaptability to the hippocampus in both health and disease. The identification of the mechanism underlying the exercise-induced increase in adult neurogenesis could facilitate the discovery of novel therapeutic interventions (including dietary selenium supplementation), which could be used to mimic the beneficial effects of exercise on cognitive function. Given that selenium is a cheap, readily available dietary supplement that is found in a number of commonly eaten foods, such as nuts, grains, and dairy products, it could easily be boosted in the diet of elderly people. This is particularly important for the treatment of individuals who are unable to exercise due to advanced age, frailty, or disability."

Nfinkelstein

Great find. In the pacific northwest if we don't supplement our cattle with selenium they become infertile and more inclined to sickness, so we have to provide a selenium-enriched salt block. This is because the soils in this part are deficient in selenium, maybe made worse by all the rain we get.

Regina

Great find. In the pacific northwest if we don't supplement our cattle with selenium they become infertile and more inclined to sickness, so we have to provide a selenium-enriched salt block. This is because the soils in this part are deficient in selenium, maybe made worse by all the rain we get.
Cool factoid!

Regina

Yet another study demonstrating that many of the "mysterious" benefits of exercise most likely have nothing to do with the (insignificant) amount of extra calories burned, but are due to peripheral effects related to metabolism and redox balance. Namely, the study below investigates the well-known phenomenon that neurogenesis (which declines strongly with age) is strongly boosted by exercise and discovers that this boost actually has a very simple explanation - increased selenium delivery to the brain. The aged animals subjected to exercise responded with increased synthesis of a selenium-carrying protein, and this resulted in increased selenium concentrations in specific brain areas, and increased neurogenesis and improved cognitive function. When other aged mice, genetically engineered to lack that protein, were subjected to exercise they did not experience increased neurogenesis and improved cognitive function. To find out if selenium was the actual beneficial factor, the researchers administered selenium to the aged mice both through direct brain injections and also in the drinking water, and both methods of selenium supplementation resulted in identical (to exercise) increases in neurogenesis and improved cognitive function.

So, a major beneficial effect of exercise may be obtainable simply by eating enough seafood (good source of selenium), while also avoiding the negative effects of exercise such as lipolysis, inflammation, serotonin, cortisol, etc. Now, the author's explanation in regards to selenium's beneficial effects on the brain involve its role as a potent antioxidant, and I think this is indeed part of the answer. However, IMO a much bigger part of the story is selenium's role as a cofactor for the enzyme converting the inactive thyroid hormone T4 into the active version T3. While most of that conversion happens in the liver, up to 40% occurs in other tissues/organs, especially the brain. So, my hypothesis is that the main mechanism of action for selenium's "anabolic" effect on the brain is its role in increasing T3 synthesis. There are plenty of studies, both human and animal, demonstrating increased neurogenesis and better cognitive function (especially in the elderly) as a result of thyroid administration, so I am not exactly shooting in the dark with my hypothesis.

And finally, what about selenium doses? The dose given to mice in their water is HED to several mg daily, which is a very high dose, however toxicity studies comparing rodents and humans demonstrate that the dosage used in the study is equivalent in toxicity to 200mcg-300mcg daily in an adult human. Such amounts/doses are below the "danger" limit set by most drug regulators around the world and mimic what most supplements on the market offer as daily doses. And since the administration produced effects after only 4 weeks, such doses on a daily basis for a month should not be a problem for an aging human who probably suffers from selenium deficiency to start with (as the study itself suggests).

DEFINE_ME

"...Although the neurogenesis-enhancing effects of exercise have been known for more than two decades (van Praag et al., 1999a, van Praag et al., 1999b), the molecular mechanisms underlying this response have remained largely unclear. Taken together, our data show that an exercise-induced increase in antioxidant selenium transport activates quiescent hippocampal NPCs, resulting in increased NPC proliferation and adult neurogenesis. Furthermore, we show that mimicking the exercise-induced increase in systemic selenium transport by dietary selenium supplementation can restore neurogenesis and reverse the cognitive decline associated with aging and hippocampal injury."

"...Selenium is important for maintaining normal brain function and its deficiency has been linked to a number of age-related neurodegenerative disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease (Cardoso et al., 2015). Selenium status also declines naturally with age (Akbaraly et al., 2007). In this study, we showed that selenium supplementation can rescue the decreased hippocampal neurogenesis and associated learning and memory deficits in animal models of physiological aging and ET-1-induced hippocampal lesion, models in which the cognitive deficits have also been shown to be rescued by physical exercise (Codd et al., 2020; Horowitz et al., 2020). It has been reported that, during aging, increased quiescence rather than stem cell depletion accounts for the observed decrease in neurogenesis (Kalamakis et al., 2019; Lugert et al., 2010). In support of this, we found that although NPC proliferation was greatly reduced in the aged hippocampus, the magnitude of selenium-induced activation was greater in older mice than young mice. This is similar to our previous observation in aged mice following KCl-induced hippocampal NPC activation (Walker et al., 2008). Determining whether long-term activation of quiescent NPCs by selenium supplementation (or exercise) results in their depletion or whether these NPCs divide asymmetrically to continually self-renew following selenium-induced activation will provide insight into the life-long maintenance of NPC populations in the DG."

"...Overall, our finding that selenium metabolism is involved in mediating the exercise-induced increase in adult hippocampal neurogenesis demonstrates how systemic or environmental factors can regulate adult neurogenesis and hence plasticity in the DG. This could have far-reaching implications, as the activity-dependency of adult hippocampal neurogenesis is one of its key features and central to modern concepts of how adult-generated neurons provide life-long adaptability to the hippocampus in both health and disease. The identification of the mechanism underlying the exercise-induced increase in adult neurogenesis could facilitate the discovery of novel therapeutic interventions (including dietary selenium supplementation), which could be used to mimic the beneficial effects of exercise on cognitive function. Given that selenium is a cheap, readily available dietary supplement that is found in a number of commonly eaten foods, such as nuts, grains, and dairy products, it could easily be boosted in the diet of elderly people. This is particularly important for the treatment of individuals who are unable to exercise due to advanced age, frailty, or disability."
I think many people attribute the feeling of clarity and energy after eating some cocktail shrimp to iodine. Where, selenium is the unsung hero.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Good to know, thanks. I suspect the same caution applies to humans but my guess is the people living in the Pacific NW consume a decent amount of seafood already. Though, not sure if that is true in eastern parts of those states, which are mountaneous and prob don't each much "surf" as compared to "turf". Have you seen/heard any advisories in your area to consume more selenium, just like the cows do? Speaking of cows, do they handle well the constantly rainy, gloomy weather? Doesn't such weather negatively affect milk production? Finally, what about vitamin D - is it also supplemented? I'd assume with so little sunshine, the cows don't make much D even in summer.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think many people attribute the feeling of clarity and energy after eating some cocktail shrimp to iodine. Where, selenium is the unsung hero.

Very true, and on a similar note - a few studies came out recently saying most of the benefit of "fatty fish" is likely not at all due to the omega-3 but rather the selenium such fish provides.

Nfinkelstein

Good to know, thanks. I suspect the same caution applies to humans but my guess is the people living in the Pacific NW consume a decent amount of seafood already. Though, not sure if that is true in eastern parts of those states, which are mountaneous and prob don't each much "surf" as compared to "turf". Have you seen/heard any advisories in your area to consume more selenium, just like the cows do? Speaking of cows, do they handle well the constantly rainy, gloomy weather? Doesn't such weather negatively affect milk production? Finally, what about vitamin D - is it also supplemented? I'd assume with so little sunshine, the cows don't make much D even in summer.
You know, you have me thinking now. I remember when my mom had cancer they told her that the region is low in Se. We did some research at the time and there was a study which showed supplementing Se reduced overall cancer rates. I've read that people in low Se regions consume a considerable amount less Se than people in other regions. I half wonder if the explosion in anxiety is maybe due to low Se.

The cattle in the area are normally supplemented with D3 but only if they are dairy. The beef cattle typically don't get any d3 as it is assumed they are outside enough. But you got me thinking about it and I think I am going to start giving them a block with fat soluble vitamins (a/d/e) and see how they do. Thanks @haidut this is going to be interesting.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
You know, you have me thinking now. I remember when my mom had cancer they told her that the region is low in Se. We did some research at the time and there was a study which showed supplementing Se reduced overall cancer rates. I've read that people in low Se regions consume a considerable amount less Se than people in other regions. I half wonder if the explosion in anxiety is maybe due to low Se.

Selenium can not only prevent most cancer types, but in high enough doses can probably cure many/most of them.

If the area is indeed low in Se (and has low sunshine) then I'd consider supplementing Se+D3, or maybe eating more seafood even if it canned and taking D3 once weekly at least.

Mauritio

Interesting. Ray has mentioned selenium deficiency as one of the most likely nutrient deficiencies .

aliml

Selenium administration resulted in a marked decrease in the activity levels of the liver succinate dehydrogenase, malate dehydrogenase, and lactate dehydrogenase while pyruvate dehydrogenase increased significantly.

In Neurodegenerative diseases, a significant decreases occur in the activities of the dehydrogenases in the first part of the TCA cycle: pyruvate dehydrogenase and isocitrate dehydrogenase. On the other hand, activities of the dehydrogenases in the second half of the TCA cycle increase: succinate dehydrogenase and malate dehydrogenase.

PeatBull

What do you think of suplementong Se with a product? Unnecesary? How much fish you have to eat?

Amazoniac

Homo Zeus, let us watch it unfold, but this may be tipping an iceberg and an early indicator of a mineral and chelation craze on the forum. "Vitamins" must be relegated, we'll be mineralizing like rocks from now on, at best with the help of asteroids, but hopefully it serves to end the thiamin megadose fad.

It's by no means a criticism to the cool tools that you're offering:

:nailedit

Perhaps auricular administration turns into the new nasal, who knows?

P

PointOutside

I remember a while back (prior to RP) that a single capsule of 200 mcg of L-Selenomethionine induced a temporary hyperthyroid state. After a few weeks of daily use I worried I'd lose my hair because of the shedding. Also, I read a lot of other peoples' experiences and a lot ended up losing hair. Looking back now, I was probably not getting nutrients in.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Selenium administration resulted in a marked decrease in the activity levels of the liver succinate dehydrogenase, malate dehydrogenase, and lactate dehydrogenase while pyruvate dehydrogenase increased significantly.

In Neurodegenerative diseases, a significant decreases occur in the activities of the dehydrogenases in the first part of the TCA cycle: pyruvate dehydrogenase and isocitrate dehydrogenase. On the other hand, activities of the dehydrogenases in the second half of the TCA cycle increase: succinate dehydrogenase and malate dehydrogenase.

Great find, thanks!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Homo Zeus, let us watch it unfold, but this may be tipping an iceberg and an early indicator of a mineral and chelation craze on the forum. "Vitamins" must be relegated, we'll be mineralizing like rocks from now on, at best with the help of asteroids, but hopefully it serves to end the thiamin megadose fad.

It's by no means a criticism to the cool tools that you're offering:

:nailedit

Perhaps auricular administration turns into the new nasal, who knows?

Oh, sorry, I did not know there was a mineral craze on the forum. I thought we had one a few years ago when people were arguing if all of medicine can fit "in the anesthesiology" books: :):
It was just an interesting article on exercise that caught my eye. As you can guess, my suspicion is that "endurance" exercise, if beneficial at all, works through mechanisms completely different from medicine would have us believe (burning extra calories, mimicking caloric restriction, etc). So, when I saw a contrarian, well researched article, I decided to post it.

Mauritio

Oh, sorry, I did not know there was a mineral craze on the forum. I thought we had one a few years ago when people were arguing if all of medicine can fit "in the anesthesiology" books: :):
It was just an interesting article on exercise that caught my eye. As you can guess, my suspicion is that "endurance" exercise, if beneficial at all, works through mechanisms completely different from medicine would have us believe (burning extra calories, mimicking caloric restriction, etc). So, when I saw a contrarian, well researched article, I decided to post it.
Ray mentioned the increase in body temperature as a major benefit of exercise.

TheSir

Reaching... increased co2 saturation is a considerably more likely explanation. This is yet one more of your sensationalist clickbaits.

FitnessMike

This kind of post are such a great reminder of how good nutrition is the foundation of optimal health.

Also makes me wonder if I do have an optimal level of selenium, having around 2l milk a day, 3 eggs, and plenty of other foods. I genuinely do not feel like eating seafood and in fact, any meat, just don't crave it innit.

Last edited:

David PS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals